Thread: PvE Strategy Guide

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts

Talking PvE Strategy Guide

This is just a short guide on how to be effective in PvE. I'm specifically directed towards tombs/mines or maps where mobs are plenty and grouped together. This is recommended for soloing.

First, a look at the skills:

Fireball: This skill is a staple in PvP as well as one in PvE. It is excellent for crowd control as it is an AoE attack (charged or not) and can include DoT and a useful stun.

Lightning Strike: This skill is the "Aim shot" of the sorcs. With the "Positive Surge" upgrade, a critical hit has the potential to do massive damage. Add another upgrade to increase the damage 15% and that's just icing on the cake. It also includes a chance to stun and a chance to do AoE if you get a kill with it.

Gale Force: This skill has an AoE type attack similar to a staff. However, the Outward Squall upgrade turns a charged attack into a true AoE attack pushing winds in all directions. This is one of the skills that can stun without an upgrade or charging; the stun isn't reliable though, unless you charge it. The knockback can provide breathing room and the movement speed upgrade can allow for quick getaways.

Frost Bolt: Shoots a ice projectile similar to a projectile from a rifle. It has a variety of perks such as creating an ice trap on the ground if you kill a mob, or freezing enemies and applying DoT. It can also be an AoE attack if you charge it.

Arcane Shield: With the newly implemented system for the Arcane Shield, the use for it is in high demand. It is pretty self-explanatory as it reduces damage taken. Can provide 2 seconds of invulnerability and an AoE knockback when upgraded.

Time Shift: Another true AoE attack. A huge clock falls from the sky and damages enemies caught in the range of a purple sphere (indicating AoE). The initial drop of the clock is AoE. The DoT is AoE. The explosion at the end is AoE. I find this skill particularly useful for PvE.

Curse: Meh..

Lifegiver: Your healing skill like every rpg. It's an instant heal, with the option to have Heal over time, and Mana over time if you upgrade it.

Skillset: So the skills optimal for PvE can depend on you and your playing style. If you solo bosses and do elite maps a lot, maybe lightning is a great option. If you do a lot of tombs though, try this skillset:

This skillset is similar to the build jb57542 mentioned in his Level by Level Skill Guide (I'm switching Lifegiver with Arcane Shield) and is revolved around two things: DoT & AoE. Let's go over what skills to use and why:

Fireball - Like i said, it's a staple. The base damage may not be as appealing but when applied to multiple mobs (with increased range, it's even more!) it is necessary. Most sorcs lead with this attack. With this build, not today. Believe it or not, you might not even get the stun upgrade.

I recommended getting increased range, DoT, and maybe get the stun. You'll have to decide for yourself, but later on that.

Frost Bolt - The debate for frost bolt vs lightning strike is over. For tombs and such, Frost Bolt is the way to go. Why? Because Frost Bolt has a more dependable AoE than Lightning. Also DoT, and what is one of the major components of this build?

Get all the upgrades on this one.

Time Shift - You knew it was coming. To me, Time Shift is the ultimate PvE skill. Think about it. This skill can drop on enemies and do AoE damage. With an upgrade, it snares them so they can't move, forcing them to be stuck inside the dreaded sphere. If you charged it, and got the upgrade, now DoT is ticking life away, from every mob inside the sphere. They can't escape, they're snared. Then finally the clock explodes and finishes them all off. I mean it's like 3 attacks-in-1 guys.

Considering upgrades, max this baby up.

Arcane Shield - Many people find it better to choose this over lifegiver in PvE because of potions. I agree. Also there is one more reason why you need it. More on that later..

Get all the upgrades except the one that knockbacks enemies.

As you can see, there are 3 skills that do DoT, and 3 skills that do AoE. The rest put into passives you see fit. (If you need more damage or survivability.)

Pets: I strongly recommended a pet that gives you high crit, whether it's a happiness bonus or arcane ability. I prefer Ribbit or Colton though. I personally use Ribbit for his range.

Strategy (Vholt's Method) (This is how I handle mobs in tombs and such, if you do this already then great. I just want to let people know how, and i'm taking credit ) Here is where it starts to get fun. And you'll also see how these skills work together in perfect harmony. I'll use an example to paint a picture for you. You're in watcher tomb 4 trying to grind to the next level.. Heres what you do:

-Find a large group of enemies.

-Charge your shield. This is very important because a large group of enemies can take out anyone in seconds. Since you got invulnerability for a couple of seconds you'll be fine.

-Rush into the center of those mobs. (No I'm not crazy) The shield will let you survive and the mobs will aggro on you so you should be surrounded. Which is what you want. This is why shield > heal.

-Activate your shield. You can do this before rushing in or after, difference is if you can run fast enough to not get hit so much.

-Now your surrounded, release a charged Time Shift. Don't move, don't panic. Your shield's invincibility has probably worn off by now, and now you are relying on the damage reduction to save your blue butt from the relentless attacks from a ridiculous amount of mobs. Don't worry time for offense. That clock has them trapped now. DoT is ticking away.

-Release a charged Frost Bolt. Since they are all clumped up around you, you'll be taking full advantage of the AoE. You'll be freezing many, many mobs which will ease the barrage of attacks on you. Not only that, but now Time Shift's DoT and Frost Bolt's DoT are at work.

-Take a breather, your surrounded by frozen mobs they can't hurt you. But that ice doesnt last very long.

-Charged fireball time. Here's where that stun upgrade is optional. There are two ways you can go about this. When mobs are frozen you can't stun them. So if you send a charged fireball they'll remain frozen and you just damage. So, you can either wait for the ice to melt, and then send that charged fireball. Stunning them which means less of them hitting you. Or if you would like a quick and impatient approach then save that skillpoint for a passive. And send a charged fireball immediately after you Frost Bolt them. Still charged because it increases the damage, and there's no pressure to quickfire one. (They're frozen remember)

-So now you released an epic combo. Now what? Well this is where having my trusty ribbit comes in. Hit that ability and bam! Watch the word "Critical" float up everywhere. How? You're thinking. DoT. Yep. Since DoT is constant except fireball which is every 5 seconds. The frost bolt and time shift DoT is constantly ticking away damage. Here's a little note: The more hits = the more chances of getting a critical. DoT is the fastest way to do damage, even though it's small damage. Don't forget it's multiple mobs.

Time for a little math:

Let's say you got 20 mobs in your combo.

Frost bolt Dot + Timeshift DoT + Fireball DoT = 3 ticks = 3 hits.

3 x 20 = 60 ticks = 60 hits in that first second. This shows how effective AoE is.

If ribbit increases your crit to even just 60% for the time being, in that timespan you probably have done like 300 ticks of damage from the DoT.

60% x 300 = 180. Theoretically, you would have critted 180 times.

Although the crit doesnt increase the DoT to like 100 damage it's still something.

Anyways,

-What's next? Well during that whole process remember to SPAM POTS. Hp pots. Although you had a shield to help you and you froze the enemies around you. You might have not gotten all of them, or range enemies could hit you from outside the sphere. Running into a large group of enemies is very dangerous and remember your not a warrior. I always brace myself by spamming my pots all the way.

Think this is too suicidal?

After executing the combo correctly and if you have good gear and stats, normally I would wipe out those type of mobs you encounter in tombs that chases you down and kill your whole party in seconds because there is just so many of them, in a matter of seconds. Auto-attacks aren't needed. The DoT is working while you aren't. And the clock still has an explosion waiting. Just don't move, stay in the centre of the sphere and watch your health. By now you should have wiped out most of the weaker mobs and you can spam skills to finish them off. Once the clock explodes or you've killed enough that you arent in any danger you can move around and do whatever to clean up the mess.

Just found this combo grinding to level 30. I found it better than charging a fireball to start. Rushing in a spamming skills before the stun wears off and then end up kiting them sending a clock to control the crowd. I found this method to be flawed. With the new combo i felt i had more control over the mobs and didnt feel too much pressure. I'm not getting chased. I dont have to run around. Just focus on getting the combo done right and spamming hp pots. I really don't use a lot, unless i screw up. The trick to getting the combo right is placement. Know where a good position is to aggro all the mobs and get as much as you can to aggro you. The tighter they are together the better.

Hope you find this strategy helpful. I know i do. Also, Thanks for your time to read this!

-vholt

Want that perfect signature like mine? Check out over here!

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to vholt For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    68 Posts

Definetely, this is a good strat/build for PvE. I, personally, have no problem using Fire, Light, Time and Lifegiver for any dungeon. Then just switch Time with Shield at bosses. But my Sorc has low health, so sometimes I run with Shield all the way through. I have no problem soloing wt1 at even a lvl like lvl 10. But here's a weird fact: my lvl 14 Sorc can solo wt1 yet my lvl 30 Rogue can't lol. Now I realize that Frost would've been a good choice. But I'm gonna live with what I have.

Reputation and Thanks are serious business
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,080 Posts

Super cool guide - good job!

TL: |AL|DL|PL|SL|BC|BD|
    Exps :|AL|DL|PL|SL|
    Other threads here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

please reply for passives what passives should i unlock i have unlocked int please tell me except this

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sciazipeo View Post
    please reply for passives what passives should i unlock i have unlocked int please tell me except this
    Strength for survivability, Dex for damage.

Luminary Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    584 Posts

Impressive!

Is clock useful outside of tombs? Because almost no elite map has any mobs. Would ir be worth putting points into it? If so, how many? I'm thinking of speeccing into it next cap raise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts

Not bad. I have Gaieje's build and I tried ribbit with it and it was fun seeing all the CRITICALs pop up in groups in Kraken Isle Mines when I was soloing it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alhuntrazeck View Post
    Impressive!

Is clock useful outside of tombs? Because almost no elite map has any mobs. Would ir be worth putting points into it? If so, how many? I'm thinking of speeccing into it next cap raise.
    It can be. Usually in some maps, mobs will be in smaller groups, but, nevertheless, still groups. Sometimes they can get scattered, which is why i use shield and run around and aggro them. Then let them huddle around and then use timeshift. I'd say timeshift is only worth it if you charge it and have the dot upgrade. There are a lot of times when i panic but still manage to drop a clock. I can run away and mobs will be trapped in the sphere. Then i can get time to potion up, but during this time i'm still ticking life away from the mobs so by the time ive gotten myself back together, their health is lowered.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Very good guide for mage Very neat and detailed. Thanks alot vholt it helped a lot on my mage xD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Thank you very much for this guide. I was really struggling but can now solo tombs with ease.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by sciazipeo View Post
    I like Gaieje's level by level build as it increases int,dex and crit/damage/strength pick 1 from crit/damage/strength!And i like fireball time and frost and healing is important.
    Last edited by Produmbledoor02; 06-25-2013 at 02:13 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    506 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alhuntrazeck View Post
    Impressive!

Arcanum Grounds, Southern Seas where is clock needed. Also useful in Palm,Rooks,Tower,Mount etc.. cant do record times without it.

In tombs the long cooldown is a bit disadvantage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nice write-up Vholt!
    I'll have to give this a try.
    Thanks,
    Aracaias (level 30 Sorcerer)