Thread: Overall New Rogue player questions

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Overall New Rogue player questions

Hey guys,

I just started playing AL this week and I went with rogue (duh). Anyways, I have been looking into old rogue guides to guide me through but I still have some specific questions that I might have overlooked. I hope someone can answer them.

1. For pve leveling which is more efficient to use, dagger or bow? Or is it up to your skill build?

2. Are there no bow drops in-game or are they just really rare?

3. I have been collecting plats from free offers and and am eyeing on the nord chest but I'm afraid I might be wasting the weapons and armors since I'm still lvl 15 but on the other hand the money and potions will really help me. Would you advice I get it now anyways?

4. I read there are aoe pets for rogue. What are they?

Answers are very much appreciated!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    552 Posts

Welcome!

1. A dagger would be the most efficient weapon to roll with when it comes to PVE, then try switching to bow when you're faced with the boss.

2. Legendary bows (pink name) come from the locked chests which costs 15 plat to open. The item will scale to the opener's level. The reason why you are not seeing so much for lvl 15 is for the fact that most players open them at endgame (30-31) which explains why the consignment shop is flooded with them. The lower leveled ones are pretty expensive and most commonly used by twinks (low level characters usually controlled by an endgamer for pvp purposes). I suggest you grind your way to lvl 30 and buy a bow.

3. Spend more on potions and petfeed while working your way to lvl 30. The chests can wait

4. There are a lot like : malison and blight
    duck dynasty falls

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Limsi For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts

Just to elaborate further on Limsyoker's comments:

1. Dagger for leveling is great for PvE, and keep a bow handy for bosses to kite around. I'm doing the same on my level 23 rogue alt (main is lvl 31 mage).

2. Legendary Bows can also be chanced at in the store for 10 Plat where you open the Thunderhead? Bow chest. You basically get close to one of the listed legendary bows they have there. You might not get any legendary ones at all since its randomly generated. I got (2) legendary bows on there before and 1 epic one. I sold one and kept one to use, I do this every few levels just to upgrade my bow if it isn't worth it buying in the CS.

3. Don't waste your plats on potions or gold AT ALL. These can all be achieved for very cheap later on in the game. Save your plats for a nice pet you want or something.

4. Everyone has their own opinions. Currently my rogue rotates the following pets: Malison, Talon, Horton, & Ribbit. I might throw another one in the mix later on. The only reason people do this is to AVOID petfeeding because at the highest levels the pet will cost you 725 gold upkeep EACH TIME to feed. That can mean a couple of K a day. So what most people do is dismiss it and let it rest and bring out another full happiness one. The only ones I feed are the ones I'm trying to level to a specific level, once it reaches that I rotate them out like all others.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to keikali For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the quick response!

I guess I'll stick to dagger atm. I haven't found any good pets yet but I'm also juggling around the ones that I have.

Also, I am confused with the dps over damage debate. Which one is more useful in solo play? Skill build is nox, shadow pierce, veil and the blade thing.
    Last edited by violakritter; 06-21-2013 at 01:08 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    784 Posts

To further elaborate on Limsyoker and Keikali's comments:

1) Daggers generally give you much higher DPS (Damage Per Second) than Bows. This, along with the fact that a charged Dagger attack has AoE (Area of Effect) damage is the reason why Daggers would be preferred in PvE. Bows typically give you maximum DMG stats, but sacrifices DPS and is a single target attack weapon. Bows are preferable against Bosses because the higher DMG stat also leads to higher Skill damage, specifically Aimed Shot.

2) There are a few bows that drop, but generally, the best bows come from Locked Crates - namely Bonechill Bows. Bows are somewhat rare as a drop. There are some green and purple bows (Rare and Epic respectively), but they really aren't very good.

3) I agree with Limsyoker, save your Platinum and use it to purchase a high end pet (like Malison or Talon). I wouldn't waste the platinum on the bundle packages, because the gear that comes from it are typically lower mid-range items. The only benefit of the bundle is the gold, potions and auction slots; otherwise, it's a complete waste.

4) You would be most interested in pets like Malison, Talon, Wrathjaw, and Slag. These are probably the best pets for Rogues at the moment.

Unfortunately, at your level, you are competing with Twinks who have main toons with lots of money to fund the best gear. That's why the gear you are looking at in auction is so crazy expensive. At this point, your best bet is to simply level up and save your gold and platinum until you get into the mid 20 levels, where prices level out a bit. Considering that this is free-respec weekend, definitely take advantage of the opportunity to redistribute your skill and attribute points to best suite your play-style.

AL: Kalizzaa
    Retired Officer of <Elite Runners>
    Elite Chronicles: Solo guides for elite maps - No longer maintained

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoodSyntax For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts

add me (pandamoni and jazzytwink) in game and I'll do some runs with you and see if I have any gear I can throw your way. Pandamoni is my main, jazzy is my level 16

(I know you didn't ask for help, just volunteering in case you want it. You got great advice from everyone else)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Pandamoni For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Awesome replies guys, thanks, really.

For accessories/armor/weapon, what stats should I look for? As of now I've kept some accs since they should give more dps and damage but greatly lessen my armor. Should I trade off armor for dps and damage? And which primary stat should i look for like dex/str or dex/int considering my items give two stats or more?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by violakritter View Post
    Awesome replies guys, thanks, really.

For accessories/armor/weapon, what stats should I look for? As of now I've kept some accs since they should give more dps and damage but greatly lessen my armor. Should I trade off armor for dps and damage? And which primary stat should i look for like dex/str or dex/int considering my items give two stats or more?
    My opinion is to stick with Dex / Int as much as possible. Use gear that augments STR if you find you're dying too much.

As for armor for DPS tradeoff - well - that depends if you run with groups often, then yes as typically your tank should be taking most of the hits and your primary job is to deal damage. I would say the exact opposite to a tank... sacrifice DPS for Armor.

Welcome to AL mate!

<Elite Runners>

IGNs: Alrisaia | Alrisio | Gallinar
    Guides: Glossary of Terms | Twisting Ribbit | The Blender

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Alrisaia For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alrisaia View Post
    My opinion is to stick with Dex / Int as much as possible. Use gear that augments STR if you find you're dying too much.

As for armor for DPS tradeoff - well - that depends if you run with groups often, then yes as typically your tank should be taking most of the hits and your primary job is to deal damage. I would say the exact opposite to a tank... sacrifice DPS for Armor.

Welcome to AL mate!
    Thanks for warm welcome! Actually I'm quite surprised how strong the player base is with AL, such quick response from the community.

I usually try to run with a group but there is always a point in time where ygdra is empty and I try to run by myself. I'll try switching things out to test.

@pets - Alright' I've made up my mind to save my plats to get a good pet. What pet can you guys recommend I get first?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Got lucky and got a granite pet. Now saving my plat for Malison.

Got a couple of new questions tho.

1. Do the order of skill upgrade affect the degree of effect when charged? Like when the piercer has the +1 target as last option, does it only work fully charged?

2. Been stuck at lvl 17 for 2 days now since theres not many people running my quests in dead city. Is there another leveling map option? I'm PST btw in case it may be the reason for lack of people.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts

What's your ign?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by violakritter View Post
    Got lucky and got a granite pet. Now saving my plat for Malison.

Got a couple of new questions tho.

1. Do the order of skill upgrade affect the degree of effect when charged? Like when the piercer has the +1 target as last option, does it only work fully charged?

2. Been stuck at lvl 17 for 2 days now since theres not many people running my quests in dead city. Is there another leveling map option? I'm PST btw in case it may be the reason for lack of people.
    No, the order of the upgrades do not mean anything, but the upgrades will only be put into effect when fully charged.
    For lv17, I would recommend your start running watchers tombs-lv4(since your a rouge, get into a party if u want to survive).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pandamoni View Post
    What's your ign?
    Its Vizerial.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts

at me later this evening when im on... hnakkur