Thread: Defiance

Guardian of Alterra CrimsonTider's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts

Default Defiance

Hello everyone!

I have always considered myself a big gamer. I began in the Atari/Intelivision days and have played everything from Burger Time to Pac-Man to Mario to Final Fantasy to Madden to Halo. However, PL was my first MMO. Unlike WoW, and others like it, it did not require a monthly fee and I loved the social aspect of it. Without going into great detail, I have been looking around and finally rented a game a guy I work with recommended a couple of months ago: Defiance.

Defiance is the first true cross-platform MMO in which it's servers are shared on Xbox, PS3, and PC. It is maxe by Trion and is based off of the t.v. show which airs on the SyFy Channel. I received the game yesterday, and after waiting for it to load and download all the patches, I hit the ground running. To say I am amazed is a true understatement. After 7 hours, I felt like I hadn't completed anything, when in fact I had just completed 7 hours of constant fighting, quest completing, world exploration excitement!

I have not ventured to the forums (yet) as I like to try my way around things first. Here are a few things I noted:

1. The world is endless. Right before I quit playing last night, I drove around on my four-wheeler (as you complete quests, you are granted more vehicles to chose from to ride!), and after 30 minutes, had not drove by the same place twice. Yeah, it is huge.

2. Quests are limitless. There are NPC's and other places in the game which grant quests. Some quests give you XP (or EGO in this game), weapons, money, keys, and more. Some quests are like the timed runs in AL where you compete against others and you can see where you fall on the leaderboard immediately. And when I say these quests are limitless, you can be driving on a road and a quest to free prisoners will just pop up in the middle of the road while you are driving to a quest which you had picked up elsewhere.

3. The Ark. In this game, you are known as an Ark Hunter and the big "boss" fights are against the Ark. When they randomly show up, a red notification symbol will pop up on your map to notify you of location and distance. Once arriving, the type of Ark will determine the strategy needed to defeat it. Some Arks only need to be destroyed, some have monsters which spawn constantly until it is taken down. The more people who join the fight will determine how fast the Ark goes down.

Which brings me to my next point...

4. You can play with THOUSANDS of people at one time. I was skeptical at first. Then, I fought an Ark yesterday and when I arrived, there were so many people attacking it I could not count. I tried standing in one spot and to say 200 were fighting would be way off. It was crazy! And get this: NO LAG!

5. Equips. Throughout the game you will farm your gear (duh), and they comprise of weapons, grenades, shields, and vehicles. Weapons can be modified in two ways: Combining with another weapon or combining with a mod. Mods consist of stocks, scopes, and so on, which make the weapon more accurate and powerful. Weapon-weapon modifications make the weapon more powerful and also give it special abilities. You can also "level" your weapon the more you use it. I currently use a pistol the most because of my class and it's accuracy. As I have used it more and more, it becomes more accurate, powerful, and increases it's clip capacity.

5. Abilities. There is an ability skill tree which is phenomenal. You begin the game by selecting one of 4 abilities (I choose cloaking which makes me invisible) and as you gain more ego, your ability unlocks sub-abilities which add to your character. One of my sub-abilities allows me a greater chance for a kill to drop loot. Each sub ability has 3 levels and you can level them up as you gain more ego.

There is plenty more: Two classes with male and female versions each, you can customize your class from looks to the type of character they are, and on and on.

Yes, there are items you can buy with real money, but that is only if you are impatient. My friend who introduced me to the game said everything you can use in the came can be dropped in the game: Exactly how it should be! If anyone has played or would like to play, let me know and we can try and hook up.

Will update this thread as I learn more and see if there is a growing interest.
    CrimsonTider::Astuteness::Crim::CrimzonTider::IBec kon::Houndstooth
    WreckzNEffect::Intuitive::Kinesiology::Crimagical: :Killtastrophe::SsgtSlaughter::Transfixion
    Arrownaut::Crimtacular::Funkdified::CrimJr

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CrimsonTider For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts

Default Defiance

Wow seems cool.
    Credits to Iady

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    58 Posts

If you like what trion is doing on defiance then you should try out another one of their mmo's called Rift. It is a subscription free mmo that is a near identical twin to world of warcraft. Not to say it is a cheap knock off.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

This sounds like a well rounded game, really makes me want to invest some time here!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Defiance is amazing, i grew up on Final Fantasy, Pokemon and Dragon Quest.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by OvigorothO View Post
    If you like what trion is doing on defiance then you should try out another one of their mmo's called Rift. It is a subscription free mmo that is a near identical twin to world of warcraft. Not to say it is a cheap knock off.

Is Rift also cross-platform? If so, I will loom into it. I ask because I have never been a big pc gamer. Prefer my Xbox.
    WreckzNEffect::Intuitive::Kinesiology::Crimagical: :Killtastrophe::SsgtSlaughter::Transfixion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Meta Morph View Post
    This sounds like a well rounded game, really makes me want to invest some time here!
    Just spent another 2 hours and didn't seem like 15 min.

Sorry for double-post.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    58 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonTider View Post
    Is Rift also cross-platform? If so, I will loom into it. I ask because I have never been a big pc gamer. Prefer my Xbox.
    No I dont think theres any mmo's other than defiance and soon world of tanks on xbox. I myself have left my xbox sealed away in the basement.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts

Heya Crimson! I've been looking for some good rpg games to play on my Xbox bought I thought Skyrim was a bit overpriced.
    Mind telling me how much this game costs? Thanks!
    BUYING A NEW SIGNATURE PIC - PM ME!
    READ ME TO RE-SPARK POCKET LEGENDS!
    Click Me! Or Click Me! Or Click Both!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SkullCrusher View Post
    Heya Crimson! I've been looking for some good rpg games to play on my Xbox bought I thought Skyrim was a bit overpriced.
    Mind telling me how much this game costs? Thanks!
    It is $49.99. I rented it off of my GameFly account and can purchase it from them for $39.99. I am seriously considering it.

I just found out the drop rarities in game: White, green, blue, purple (least to greatest). Just got my first purple drop: A set of grenades which have a lightening proc which effects the enemy and stuns them on top of the damage they produce. I have also almost fully crafted my first blue weapon. It is an Uzi-type gun which shoots lightening instead of bullets. I have upgraded the stock, magazine, and barrel. Just need a scope that matches it to complete it.

Also, I found out you can get different outfits to wear by completing quests. I just received an outfit which makes me look like an urban-style police officer with a matching cap.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts

It is $49.99. I rented it off of my GameFly account and can purchase it from them for $39.99. I am seriously considering it.

I just found out the drop rarities in game: White, green, blue, purple (least to greatest). Just got my first purple drop: A set of grenades which have a lightening proc which effects the enemy and stuns them on top of the damage they produce. I have also almost fully crafted my first blue weapon. It is an Uzi-type gun which shoots lightening instead of bullets. I have upgraded the stock, magazine, and barrel. Just need a scope that matches it to complete it.

Also, I found out you can get different outfits to wear by completing quests. I just received an outfit which makes me look like an urban-style police officer with a matching cap.
    Awesome! Sounds amazing but one thing: It seems a bit too much into the "Gun-Zone" aspect. Are there any swords/bows or something like that as I'm not really into Gun-Games like COD.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SkullCrusher View Post
    Awesome! Sounds amazing but one thing: It seems a bit too much into the "Gun-Zone" aspect. Are there any swords/bows or something like that as I'm not really into Gun-Games like COD.
    I got a drop for some kind of emitter which sends a pulse to the ememy and drains their health, so no, it is not all guns but the majority are. It is futuristic. However, when completing one quest, I was given a "sleeve" which made me look like I had iron-like-hulk-hands with a power shield around me and I went around punching all the enemies. I am sure there is much more as I am only 2 days into it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts

I got a drop for some kind of emitter which sends a pulse to the ememy and drains their health, so no, it is not all guns but the majority are. It is futuristic. However, when completing one quest, I was given a "sleeve" which made me look like I had iron-like-hulk-hands with a power shield around me and I went around punching all the enemies. I am sure there is much more as I am only 2 days into it.
    Very nice! Heck, I'm considering getting this game for Xbox either today or tomorrow.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    75 Posts

Thanks for sharin, ordering my gamefly copy NOW!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Aveea For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts

A few more things I have learned (I really need to go to their forums... lol):

1. Orange is the greatest drop color. I have received a few purple, but no orange yet.

2. Drops scale to your ego level. So, works a lot like AL as far as scaled drops go.

3. Many quests are repeatable (actually most are with the exception of the main story line quests). Many of the quests follow the TV show so as it progresses, so does the in-game quests.

4. I haven't even touched the world of PvP yet. There is so much to do in-game, PvP hasn't crossed my mind.

I reached level 487 last night (max level is 5000.) More updates to come.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    58 Posts

For any of those on PC, you can currently pick up Defiance for 13.59$ via a dsitribution service known as steam (limited time offer)

19. The Following User Says Thank You to OvigorothO For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts

I was going to get it on sale but after reading the steam forums I noticed everyone saying how easy, boring, and glitchy the game is.
    Ign - Who -- My guess is 1837.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mike1298 View Post
    I was going to get it on sale but after reading the steam forums I noticed everyone saying how easy, boring, and glitchy the game is.
    Not true at all. I ventured to their forums the other night and outside of the guides, their forums are horrible as far as community interaction goes. If you get bored in this game, you have serious ADHD issues.
    Last edited by Justg; 07-15-2013 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Of course a PC game has better performance than a mobile game. No need to rage.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,058 Posts

Haha Crim, gz on taking ur first footsteps in larger MMOs!

RIFT looks cool and stuff.. But afaIk it's only available free to play till like lvl 15 or something. Lotsa things u mentioned are common feats of any large PC MMO. The thing is though, that not so many PC MMOs are available on PS3 or Xbox360. Simply because PCs can handle so much more and thingssuch as keybindings or UI modifications give PC gamers and advantage, not to mention even performance. There are lots of MMOs out there which have even more players even theyn they are just for PC.

Everyone has their own taste in MMOs (I personally love Star Wars: The Old Republic - which is totally free ;P!) and u will find ur own MMO by trying different ones.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    624 Posts

Planetside 2 is a similar type of game from what I could see. It's completely f2p without the need to ever spend any real money while still being competetive. The graphics rock too.

Anyway, I might check out Defiance during the weekend or so.

And for all doubters of my rockstar status:
    Quote Originally Posted by Justg View Post
    U rok, thanks!