Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why boosting your customer satisfaction is important...

Tournament & Ladder Leader XghostzX's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,204 Posts

Default Why boosting your customer satisfaction is important...

Hey guys,

I found a really cool article on customer satisfaction in the gaming industry. Take a look here: http://venturebeat.com/2013/02/18/wh...-service-game/

I have a few questions that I would love to hear you guys answer in this thread:

1.) What are your thoughts on the article?

2.) In the eyes of a player, do you agree to what this article is arguing for? In the eyes of a game studio/development team, do you agree with this?

3.) How can STS find a good balance between good customer satisfaction, as well as maintaining 5 different games?

4.) Would focusing on one game go a longer way that has lots of attention than creating multiple games with little attention to each? (Or vice versa)

Thanks.

I guess in my own quick opinion, the article talks about how studios have rare opportunities to maximize in profits and something they love - that is as long as they have a strong community. PL is the best community I have ever been apart of when it comes to gaming.
    Last edited by XghostzX; 07-15-2013 at 10:13 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to XghostzX For This Useful Post:

Forum Legend
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts

STG should just update there games more often.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,462 Posts

Nice bro,

1: I don't know anyone who plays pl sl or dl who wouldn't agree.
    2: yes but see answer 4
    3: additional or more dedicated attention
    4: as a player I lean towards one game being perfected. However I trust the reason that they are expanding is because it is better for them at this time financially.
    Yet my spending in this one game is directly linked to how much I feel valued as a customer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

"During the startup phase, game development is the main focus – it’s all about the release of the game, the company’s core business and raison d’etre. Player support is often a secondary concern, edged out in favor of the frantic pace of design and launch of new games."

Yes. I would say that is exactly what we are experiencing and, unfortunately, it's a bit disappointing for many of us who liked being the sole focus of the STS love. Hard to share and let go of bygone days. I do wish, however, that STS would read this and remember that you won't keep customers loving you if you don't love them back. ALL of them. A little more communication with the older games, even if it is a repetitive "we hear you; we're listening, we haven't forgotten you" type of communication, would go a long way to keeping us happy and hopeful that they still think of us occasionally.

Even I know you can't just say this once and expect people to be happy. Repetition does wonders.

Edit: sorry, didn't really answer questions.
    Last edited by Actona679; 07-15-2013 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Didn't answer questions!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Actona679 For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,204 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Actona679 View Post
    (null)
    Your feedback is appreciated

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    225 Posts

Well I say by now with how much money they made off of al alone, they can get enough staff to seperate into groups for each individual game. Sure it'd be hard finding the staff and showing em what's already been done etc. But it could go a long way for all 5 of their games
    the day the world died I didn't even say goodbye
    Ign: Pocket Legends: WickedKlownz, Cainnblecter, Corpsefarm, Arcane Legends: cainnblecter, traumatized

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xcainnblecterx View Post
    Well I say by now with how much money they made off of al alone, they can get enough staff to seperate into groups for each individual game. Sure it'd be hard finding the staff and showing em what's already been done etc. But it could go a long way for all 5 of their games
    Which is why they focus on al.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Proud Member of:
    <The Community Guild> PL Chars: Sryyoulose L76, swept L10
    SL Chars: Sryyoulose L40, Affair L28, XPLX L20

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,204 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sryyoulose View Post
    I think his point being that they could have a great balance between profit and making each game to the best of their ability. Not just one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by XghostzX:1179169
    Quote Originally Posted by Sryyoulose View Post
    I think his point being that they could have a great balance between profit and making each game to the best of their ability. Not just one.
    They'll just suck the money out of al until It's dry, then move their attention to something new or return to their older games, It's the cycle.

Babybugszxx,Trust, Ebagovax, Pvpbugsz, Xxaeromagexx, Bugszmage, Xbabybugszx, Bestavian, Boombugsz, Swaggbearr

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    330 Posts

Default Why boosting your customer satisfaction is important...

Honestly I don't mind with 5 different games but sts is needs to hire more people... With more devs/mods, games such as DL,SL and PL won't be neglected and receive "income" from these games...

But right now STG is putting more weight on their shoulder... But let's be honest, this is all sts plan. More people they hire=more money they need to pay in salary... So they just keep the company small and make different games. Usually during the start it gets famous and then after it dies... BAM new game more money for them and rest of the games are left to die except for the occasional plat sale, double damage, double exp, and vanities that cost so much but anyways that's only to leech out money from loyal players/customers.
    Bored? Check out my How to Catch Series(Click one):

Brave Bear, Sneakie Birdie, Majestic Mage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    225 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xbabybugszx View Post
    They'll just suck the money out of al until It's dry, then move their attention to something new or return to their older games, It's the cycle.
    Seems to be. Already got another game and its a RTS game
    the day the world died I didn't even say goodbye
    Ign: Pocket Legends: WickedKlownz, Cainnblecter, Corpsefarm, Arcane Legends: cainnblecter, traumatized

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    240 Posts

1. Very interesting article xGhostzx. Thanks for sharing.

2. Yes, as a player and a customer, I agree with the sentiment.

3. I am going to stick my neck out here and risk the wrath of the PL Community, but I actually think STS do a pretty good job of balancing customer satisfaction and maintaining 5 games. I understand completely where a small team of developers must put their time and energy. I have tried all but the latest of their games but my heart (and money) lie in PL. This is the first of their games and is the one that I identify the most with. It appeals to me personally. The fantasy element, the quests, the UI, the whole. Yes it was better before elixirs, better before platinum ruined the economy and game play but, for a business, it was unsustainable without platinum and I can see why it moved in that direction. The introduction of the daily blessings and x3 combos has done wonders in evening out the differences between players with and without platinum. It is easy to complain about games evolving in a way that doesn't suit everyone but not everyone in the world has to play pl. There are other games. There are other games even that STS have created. Some of my friends left pl for SL, some for DL and some for AL. Some have returned to pl, some have not. Everyone wants something different to fill their recreational time and no one game/gaming company can fulfill that. Obviously it pains me to see my favourite game left with no update and no word of one, but I can see why STS are concentrating their resources on other games. Technology has moved on since the introduction of PL. Investment will be given to developing newer games based on the success of the predecessors. Although I feel we are not a massive priority in PL, I don't feel neglected completely. The devs are still here, still dealing with issues, still stalking the forums. But there is only so much a small company can attend to at a given time. I don't think customer service is poor. It is adequate but with all things it could be improved.

4. We are going through hard times financially. Technology and new games and apps are the future. Any company that sits on its laurels and does not keep up with the demand is a dead one. Developing one game like PL is just not viable. Much as I would love STS to just infuse PL with resources, it is not sustainable. The future requires businesses to be one step ahead. I think STS have tried to keep apace with that. In an ideal world, the company would grow and new people would be brought in for new game developments. Unfortunately talented people are exceedingly expensive. The overheads and taxes involved are tremendous expenses a small company in financially tight times has to consider....and there's only so much platinum I can afford despite the fact I feel like I am paying for two developer salaries ;P

Trulyhappy Officer of TCG
    It's not always rainbows and butterflies
    It's compromise that moves us along.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to The Happiness For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    169 Posts

the sad part is....all sts needs to do is give us some kinda word about pl. its not like that is asking for much,and it will some people happy. from the game that made them, helped them make other games i think we at least deserve to know a little sumthng of what is happening

Quick! Staring contest...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,204 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Happiness View Post
    1. Very interesting article xGhostzx. Thanks for sharing.

2. Yes, as a player and a customer, I agree with the sentiment.

3. I am going to stick my neck out here and risk the wrath of the PL Community, but I actually think STS do a pretty good job of balancing customer satisfaction and maintaining 5 games. I understand completely where a small team of developers must put their time and energy. I have tried all but the latest of their games but my heart (and money) lie in PL. This is the first of their games and is the one that I identify the most with. It appeals to me personally. The fantasy element, the quests, the UI, the whole. Yes it was better before elixirs, better before platinum ruined the economy and game play but, for a business, it was unsustainable without platinum and I can see why it moved in that direction. The introduction of the daily blessings and x3 combos has done wonders in evening out the differences between players with and without platinum. It is easy to complain about games evolving in a way that doesn't suit everyone but not everyone in the world has to play pl. There are other games. There are other games even that STS have created. Some of my friends left pl for SL, some for DL and some for AL. Some have returned to pl, some have not. Everyone wants something different to fill their recreational time and no one game/gaming company can fulfill that. Obviously it pains me to see my favourite game left with no update and no word of one, but I can see why STS are concentrating their resources on other games. Technology has moved on since the introduction of PL. Investment will be given to developing newer games based on the success of the predecessors. Although I feel we are not a massive priority in PL, I don't feel neglected completely. The devs are still here, still dealing with issues, still stalking the forums. But there is only so much a small company can attend to at a given time. I don't think customer service is poor. It is adequate but with all things it could be improved.

4. We are going through hard times financially. Technology and new games and apps are the future. Any company that sits on its laurels and does not keep up with the demand is a dead one. Developing one game like PL is just not viable. Much as I would love STS to just infuse PL with resources, it is not sustainable. The future requires businesses to be one step ahead. I think STS have tried to keep apace with that. In an ideal world, the company would grow and new people would be brought in for new game developments. Unfortunately talented people are exceedingly expensive. The overheads and taxes involved are tremendous expenses a small company in financially tight times has to consider....and there's only so much platinum I can afford despite the fact I feel like I am paying for two developer salaries ;P
    Thanks for the response Happiness, I appreciate it. I do agree with many of your claims, as it's safe to say that money rules everything and everyone. Yes, we are in times of financial issues and STS needs to keep up with the pace in order to keep those salaries rolling in. They have a life too!

On another note, Happiness, I'm very upset that STS made a promise to us loyal players. They promised updates that would eventually lead a campaign to level cap 101. That promise hasn't really been fulfilled considering we haven't received even one word on our next cap, and not to mention this has been the longest time without a new cap. There's a certain point where a studio needs to come to a balance between it's players and $$$. This is where my opinion may differ from yours. You stated that you do not feel completely neglected, whereas I do feel completely neglected. I always see the the devs trying to comfort us on forums saying "we haven't forgotten about our true love," however with no significant changes to PL and with no changes to what us players have continuously asked for through detailed threads, it's impossible for me to not feel neglected. So this is where our to opinions differentiate, and it's just a matter of what we believe - statistics and facts can't really support our arguments.

In the article I shared, it talks about how gaming companies need to take advantage of their close/strong communities and get to a closer & more emotional level with their players. It's extremely difficult to please every single player - excuse me, it's impossible. But players are able to tell when developers start ignoring them more.

So put this into another perspective:

PL was in it's prime at one point. SL came along, and we start going down hill.

DL was made, now SL feels neglected.

AL was made - all 3 games feel neglected (with PL feeling most neglected because AL has the same theme).

Now Battle Dragons was made. This means less attention to AL, and more gradually AL players will realize the closer you get to end game, the more Plat based the game is.

At some point you will have a a pile of random players - not a strong community. PL contained the core base of loyal players, and that has come to a complete loss. Why? It's what I previously stated. SL, DL, & soon to be AL players will be falling apart.

The cycle continues, and STS feels the need to create another game, another MMO, another way out to earn money. However, evolution proves that when massive groups of people are not satisfied, the overall government or ruler can fall apart (I'm not trying to make this political, just trying to prove my point.).

Sorry if this is wordy, I'm just trying to share my thoughts to the best of my ability. Thanks for all of your responses.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to XghostzX For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    380 Posts

I can see where everyone incoming from, as I've *certainely* seen how much the devs/player and 'customer service' has declined since the earlier days of the game, but here's a different perspective to look at:

STS's games have a rapid succession rate then a massive declination in players (sans PL). Because of this STS is only getting quick bursts of money rather than a steady income, meaning they can't sustain themselves which pushes them to make a new product to generate more income. STS can't depend solely on one game, no matter how much it may be their crown jewel, and it is the reason why they need to expand their business which in time will lead to a better experience for the customers. Every company goes through this, STS is just in the expansion phase and will likely get out of it soon meaning a better experience for us all.
    Last edited by NECROREAPER; 07-15-2013 at 12:40 PM.

-------AEO-------

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    240 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by billybob1 View Post
    the sad part is....all sts needs to do is give us some kinda word about pl. its not like that is asking for much,and it will some people happy. from the game that made them, helped them make other games i think we at least deserve to know a little sumthng of what is happening
    I couldn't agree more but....consider this ....what if they have no intention of making any more updates? If they announced that this is as far as the journey goes....would you buy more platinum? Would I? No, we would pack our bags and move onto something else because it is the promise of good things to come that keeps us here. We're not quite ready to give it all up. And while there is hope, there is platinum spending ;p

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    240 Posts

@xghostzx I won't quote you....cos it was looong

I think the bottom line is STS is a company who's ultimate goal is build a successful company. Successful nearly always means financially successful. Where they may have lured people in with the concept of free to play, to make money, players have to pay money. With PL it was certainly a learning platform. It takes time to get the balance right. Maybe they are trying their way to perfect this with the introduction of new games/genres. In any business, not every thing you attempt is successful.

AL is similar to PL but the technology behind it has evolved somewhat. Why put money and resources into a "old" game built on "old" technologies? If they have investors, maybe these are people who are heavily involved in direction of the company. There are so many factors to consider.

But I do understand your point. I would love STS to bring us a super duper update more than anything. I am just realistic and can see how dissatisfaction occurs on both the developers and customers sides. You cannot please all the people all of the time! (And I don't mean just the pl community)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by billybob1 View Post
    You are right but think about it, we all know the word would be "PL won't be updated anytime soon" an that would make people quit/ lose hope so they lose money. With them being quite it makes people still play and make them think it's all fine so they continue to play
    Bored? Check out my How to Catch Series(Click one):

Brave Bear, Sneakie Birdie, Majestic Mage

Guardian of Alterra CrimsonTider's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts

Here's the thing, as constructive as this thread is, and as much truth which lies within, I would not waste the time to continue to post as I see it being deleted just as Noodle's was. Fact is, this is not the same STS we use to know. All of the things that drove people away from Gameloft, Zinga, Glu, etc., and what we use to praise STS for not doing, they now are.

And regardless of what anyone tells you, if PL had received all of their attention, they very easily could have expanded on a product that would be light years ahead of SL, DL, and AL. To quote an old Metallica song:

"For whom the bell tolls, time marches on."
    CrimsonTider::Astuteness::Crim::CrimzonTider::IBec kon::Houndstooth
    WreckzNEffect::Intuitive::Kinesiology::Crimagical: :Killtastrophe::SsgtSlaughter::Transfixion
    Arrownaut::Crimtacular::Funkdified::CrimJr

The Castle That Never Was, with my Shadowstar and Eternal Frost, also with Ebonine.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    368 Posts

I agree with alot (alot? Might as well say everything) here, but there's one thing for sure.
    StG needs to update their old games more.
    I'm certain, if StG was compared to other MMO's/whatever games company, StG wouldn't be too far at the bottom for updating PL.
    PL contains most oldies, and more mature people than I have seen in other StG games. Even in game, there are mature people, forums as well.
    However, if you venture into AL, many in gamers don't know many stuff, and AL forums is another thing together, it's nothing like PL forums.
    What Devs do, is lock threads here.
    And in support, sometimes they never reply.
    And they don't ban the people who shout out plat websites that are scams.

I remember, I clearly remember a dev saying something about 81 cap, that something about 81 cap vanity.
    And Im not too sure, but kind of sure, that a dev said something about 101 cap.
    All of the 81/101 cap info were at the beginning of BSM cap, or the announcement about elite rings, dragon rings, elite eye, fallen prince, etc.
    That is all that I can think of.

All for One, and One for All!
    The Brightest of Flames..cast the Darkest of Shadows..
    One who knows nothing cannot understand anything..