Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: best build for elite tanking?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts

Default best build for elite tanking?

Edit: New Build for new expansion (Pure Elite tank Build)
    give your opinion about this build please

cs - 2/5 (only feeble effect)
    wm - 4/5 (no snare)
    hor - 5/5
    juggernut - 4/5 (if u really desperare put point which removes movement imparing effect-might help in shuyal area)
    axe throw - 5/5
    might - 5/5
    durable - 5/5
    dex - 5/5

not putting single point in dmg or crit - tanks prio is survival and agrro.

why dex?
    my mana pool is enough and i m using one or two pot per 30 sec so i dont bother put points in int.
    now only dex remains - dex gives little bit more health and dodge so why not?

please keep in mind that its pure elite tanking build for lvl 36. its only viable in elite only.
    (if u really desperate to get skyward smash - replace it with juggernut but i dont suggest that)

if u r tank dont care abt dps and i think this build gives u max agrro+survival.
    Last edited by bhutkeyur; 09-17-2013 at 12:44 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    68 Posts

It would help more if you could tell us which upgrades you have on each of those skills

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts

Holding aggro really hasn't been difficult for me at all, in champion gear with one of the cheaper entombed hammers...so this is my build:

Ss: 4/5 no mana return
    Wm: 4/5 no snare
    Cs: 3/5 add increased target and feeble
    HoR: max it
    Max str passive
    Max dex passive
    4/5 damage passive. I know warriors don't need damage, but there is nowhere currently where surviving is too tough to where you need armor passives.

Sig creds: Beelzzebob
    Igns: Warriorname, Azepeiete, Sorcerername.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Warriorname View Post
    Holding aggro really hasn't been difficult for me at all, in champion gear with one of the cheaper entombed hammers...so this is my build:

Max str passive
    Max dex passive
    4/5 damage passive. I know warriors don't need damage, but there is nowhere currently where surviving is too tough to where you need armor passives.
    Not to mention it appears that damage mitigation from armor seems to become minuscule past 1500. Yet another reason why the new mythic pet's +110 is junk for a L26+ warrior.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Hello!

I am an Officer in <Elite Runners> and that said -- I regularly tank elite maps.

>>This is my analogy for tanks when it comes to damage: WARRIORS throw pebbles. ROGUES and SORCERERS drop boulders.

>>Your focus is not to deal damage but to place your DPS team-mates in the best possible position for them to deal damage while simultaneously working to keep them alive.

My current build is as follows:

Pure Strength for attributes

Skills:
    Skyward Smash 4/5 (leave out Effortless Execution)
    Chest Splitter 2/5 (only Staggering Blow)
    Windmill 5/5
    Axe Throw 5/5
    Horn of Renew 4/5 (leave out Increased Duration)

Passives:
    Might 5/5
    Durable 5/5

...Now you might be thinking.. this guy is stupid.. Five skills? What an idiot.. Let me explain...

When tanking elite maps my skill loadout is SS, WM, CS, HoR up until the party reaches the boss. Once the party reaches the boss - I swap out WM for AT. This swap to AT now provides the opportunity to pull (most) bosses into the area in which the party is most capable of dealing damage i.e. the area with Rogue smoke - and - if playing with a good Sorcerer - a clock dropped in the smoke.

Pro-tip: CS is useful for enfeebling enemy critical attacks - so when an enemy is about to deliver a devastating blow -- do your best to time CS so that it goes off before the enemy delivers that devastating blow in attempt to lessen the blow to the squishies.

Pro-tip: unless you are tanking Breckenridge or Ydra Forest you should ALWAYS have HoR fully charged before using. HoR in this build has taunt which will help you maintain aggro. Once you release HoR - in theory - all enemies should switch their attention (and their attacks) to you. The invulnerability is key to surviving the barrage of attacks.

Pro-tip: SPAMMING POTIONS is a FULL-TIME JOB under HEAVY ATTACK so treat it like one.

Bonus commentary about gear:

Armor/Helm: Champions Chain/Helm of Will is the most budget friendly tank gear on the market. Noble Plate/Helm of Will is better but the difference in stats is barely noticeable and in my opinion does not justify the high price tag.

Amulet: level 25 Amethyst Pendant of the Tides

Ring: I use level 31 Glowstone Hoop of Assault primarily but I change it out with level 31 Arcane Braid of Fitness during times I need extra armor (AKA when my luck amulet is equipped toward end of boss-fight)

Weapon: I swear by the Vigilant Pavise of Fitness for tanking Elite maps - the damage output isn't spectacular but the bonus health and armor make up for it in a big way during boss fights. Refer to my analogy above if this low damage output comment is frustrating to you.

I hope this information helped! If you have any questions I will do my best to answer them.
    Officer <Elite Runners>

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Killingsworth For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Killingsworth View Post
    Hello!

I am an Officer in <Elite Runners> and that said -- I regularly tank elite maps.

>>This is my analogy for tanks when it comes to damage: WARRIORS throw pebbles. ROGUES and SORCERERS drop boulders.

>>Your focus is not to deal damage but to place your DPS team-mates in the best possible position for them to deal damage while simultaneously working to keep them alive.

Skills:
    Windmill 5/5
    Axe Throw 5/5

Passives:
    Might 5/5
    Durable 5/5

...Now you might be thinking.. this guy is stupid.. Five skills? What an idiot.. Let me explain...

When tanking elite maps my skill loadout is SS, WM, CS, HoR up until the party reaches the boss. Once the party reaches the boss - I swap out WM for AT. This swap to AT now provides the opportunity to pull (most) bosses into the area in which the party is most capable of dealing damage i.e. the area with Rogue smoke - and - if playing with a good Sorcerer - a clock dropped in the smoke.

Pro-tip: CS is useful for enfeebling enemy critical attacks - so when an enemy is about to deliver a devastating blow -- do your best to time CS so that it goes off before the enemy delivers that devastating blow in attempt to lessen the blow to the squishies.

Pro-tip: unless you are tanking Breckenridge or Ydra Forest you should ALWAYS have HoR fully charged before using. HoR in this build has taunt which will help you maintain aggro. Once you release HoR - in theory - all enemies should switch their attention (and their attacks) to you. The invulnerability is key to surviving the barrage of attacks.

Pro-tip: SPAMMING POTIONS is a FULL-TIME JOB under HEAVY ATTACK so treat it like one.

Armor/Helm: Champions Chain/Helm of Will is the most budget friendly tank gear on the market. Noble Plate/Helm of Will is better but the difference in stats is barely noticeable and in my opinion does not justify the high price tag.

Ring: I use level 31 Glowstone Hoop of Assault primarily but I change it out with level 31 Arcane Braid of Fitness during times I need extra armor (AKA when my luck amulet is equipped toward end of boss-fight)

Weapon: I swear by the Vigilant Pavise of Fitness for tanking Elite maps - the damage output isn't spectacular but the bonus health and armor make up for it in a big way during boss fights. Refer to my analogy above if this low damage output comment is frustrating to you.

I hope this information helped! If you have any questions I will do my best to answer them.
    Excellent answer! May the force be with you

[EDIT] I'm surprised that you are leaving out HoR increased duration. Mine looks like - SS 3/5 WM 4/5 HoR 4/5 CS 2/5 AT 4/5 STR 5/5 Armor 5/5 INT 3/5.
    Last edited by Wowsome; 07-29-2013 at 09:52 AM.
    .. RETIRED ..
    L31 PvE & L21 PvP
    ...Arcane Legends

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Warriorname View Post

Max str passive
    Max dex passive
    Is it best?
    Thanks You

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Hello!

Skills:
    Windmill 5/5
    Axe Throw 5/5

Passives:
    Might 5/5
    Durable 5/5

I'm so poor in ENGLISH, but I will try with your long information... However I can't understand with my first read....
    Thanks Advance!!!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts

right now all my above skills have 5/5

ty mate for detailed and long answer..
    five skill build make sence to me.
    i am gonna try ur build

well as a tank i dont care abt dps...and warrior cant beat mages n rogues in dps.

i cant afford mythic sword and shield right now ... any other suggestion for tanking weapon?

as per my opinion...
    in five skill build - agrro holding isnt big problem but survival may be. because u dont have vb, rc or juggernut. ur build might require too much pot spamming. let see...( i have just started game 2 week ago so dont have uber gear or pets. thats why i m worring about survival with my normal legendary gear)
    Last edited by bhutkeyur; 07-29-2013 at 01:35 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

[EDIT] I'm surprised that you are leaving out HoR increased duration. Mine looks like - SS 3/5 WM 4/5 HoR 4/5 CS 2/5 AT 4/5 STR 5/5 Armor 5/5 INT 3/5.
    In response to your question -- I would definitely like to re-spec for increased duration but for whatever stupid reason it costs 5 platinum to re-spec. Also, I don't spec for INT because mana potions are cheap.

i cant afford mythic sword and shield right now ... any other suggestion for tanking weapon?
    Honestly before I got the Mythic Sword I was using Lvl 31 Storm Sword of Assault because it was soooo cheap and has decent all around stats. If you want a real cheap tank weapon I would say Lvl 31 Northern Tower of Grace or Savvy.

as per my opinion...
    in five skill build - agrro holding isnt big problem but survival may be. because u dont have vb, rc or juggernut. ur build might require too much pot spamming. let see...( i have just started game 2 week ago so dont have uber gear or pets. thats why i m worring about survival with my normal legendary gear)
    In my opinion spamming pots isn't a big deal -- no matter what build you have (exception Arcane Maul and head to toe Mythic gear) you will be spamming pots. Once you get used to it, it's not a big deal.
    Officer <Elite Runners>

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts

ty again ... appreciate all help n tips
    right now i m using strom sword
    cheap n reliable
    pet- only have ribbit now as a good pet. any other pet suggeion? i need four pet so i can switch between. cant afford plat pet atm but i can farm if u suggest any.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

My main pets: Slag, Ripmaw, Ribbit, Malison, Snaggletooth, Loki, and Blight.

Blight is the cheapest and Loki is also relatively cheap.
    Officer <Elite Runners>

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts

Kill... No duration upgrade in hor?

<Elite Runners>

IGNs: Alrisaia | Alrisio | Gallinar
    Guides: Glossary of Terms | Twisting Ribbit | The Blender

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alrisaia View Post
    Kill... No duration upgrade in hor?
    If we get another free re-spec weekend I will swap out a point from armor in exchange for increased duration but until then I'm out of platinum. :/ I seriously don't understand why it costs platinum to re-spec.
    Officer <Elite Runners>

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    528 Posts

My main pets: Slag, Ripmaw, Ribbit, Malison, Snaggletooth, Loki, and Blight.

Blight is the cheapest and Loki is also relatively cheap.
    This is tanking pets bro. For those with low armor/experience should try using: slag, abbadon, koko, even cerrella. Elite tanking I agree though, except you forgot Shiloh. Shiloh's arcane ability is 40str for 8secs FYI. So its a must have warrior pet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Hello!

Skills:
    Windmill 5/5
    Axe Throw 5/5

Passives:
    Might 5/5
    Durable 5/5

i remember my first elite run with killings his words are "use potion like they're going out of style." haha still laughing when i remember it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts

kill,

this is a great post I'm glad you shared it with the community. this willingness to share and help is one if the reasons you're an officer in our guild.

for everyone out there regarding spamming pots... when I'm coaching tanks and teaching them how to run elites one indicator i look for its their movement. if after we pull 10 or so mobs into a corner they're moving around it's a red flag.

here's why: if you're moving, you're not using pots. OR you're not using skills both of which are crucial to your job. pros may be able to do all three at once and reposition after a pull but for the most part my first advice to a tank who wants to run elite is to hold still. get in the Choke point and stay there use taunt skills spam pots and save hor for when you lose agro.

there are three tanks I've ever run with who i don't pull agro from every time i turn on the blender kill is one of them.

my 2 cents

<Elite Runners>

IGNs: Alrisaia | Alrisio | Gallinar
    Guides: Glossary of Terms | Twisting Ribbit | The Blender

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Alrisaia For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alrisaia View Post

for everyone out there regarding spamming pots... when I'm coaching tanks and teaching them how to run elites one indicator i look for its their movement. if after we pull 10 or so mobs into a corner they're moving around it's a red flag.

here's why: if you're moving, you're not using pots. OR you're not using skills both of which are crucial to your job. pros may be able to do all three at once and reposition after a pull but for the most part my first advice to a tank who wants to run elite is to hold still. get in the Choke point and stay there use taunt skills spam pots and save hor for when you lose agro.
    When tank moving around, we can see the mobs will also won't stay still in place so it's hard for rogue and mage to time their attack.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

+1 to Killingsworth post, I now enjoy leveling my warrior to lvl 31, with his mythic weapon ready on stash, to be a prodigy tank.

On a side note: How many pots do you have? How many do you consume in day's game?
    The Forum here is more FUN!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

haha. elites means pot waste (if u get crap drop) if a 5/5 mythic war like kill spam pots jst think of non mythics (not even one) ROFL.
    i.e. elites means for rich ppl

i dnt agree with kill (as a non mythic player)
    one needs a mythic sword atleast to justify kill post.