Thread: Suggestion for Elite Maps: Optional Timed Runs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts

Default Suggestion for Elite Maps: Optional Timed Runs

Most of you will agree that the timer for elite maps is a huge problem. Elite runs often end up with people bailing, leaving others stranded, with no option to recruit friends/guild mates/randoms. The Devs on these forums are aware of this issue and have been patiently listening to our input. I honestly feel that if the timer becomes an option for players, that the population of PUGs and casual gamers will enjoy elite content much much more. The solution in theory is quite simple, although I don't have the slightest clue as to the difficulty of adding the code for this idea behind the scenes.

Every elite map should have an NPC standing at the beginning, similar to Nox within the Dimensional Arena. You interact and talk to him/her, and they give you the option to 1. start a timed run or 2. "no thanks!" and move on. Much like the Arena, once you select "Let's do this!" or what have you, a 10 second countdown initiates. At the "Go!" mark, the timer begins and the map locks. Otherwise, no timer will begin if you don't talk to the NPC or choose 2. "no thanks!", and you can run the map freely like any normal campaign map. Does this sound good to anyone? Devs, is this a reasonable suggestion being mindful of time/resources for your code writers?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Taejo For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Taejo View Post
    Most of you will agree that the timer for elite maps is a huge problem. Elite runs often end up with people bailing, leaving others stranded, with no option to recruit friends/guild mates/randoms. The Devs on these forums are aware of this issue and have been patiently listening to our input. I honestly feel that if the timer becomes an option for players, that the population of PUGs and casual gamers will enjoy elite content much much more. The solution in theory is quite simple, although I don't have the slightest clue as to the difficulty of adding the code for this idea behind the scenes.

Every elite map should have an NPC standing at the beginning, similar to Nox within the Dimensional Arena. You interact and talk to him/her, and they give you the option to 1. start a timed run or 2. "no thanks!" and move on. Much like the Arena, once you select "Let's do this!" or what have you, a 10 second countdown initiates. At the "Go!" mark, the timer begins and the map locks. Otherwise, no timer will begin if you don't talk to the NPC or choose 2. "no thanks!", and you can run the map freely like any normal campaign map. Does this sound good to anyone? Devs, is this a reasonable suggestion being mindful of time/resources for your code writers?

I am delighted that this was brought up again and would love for some action to be taken.

So – I’m not sure it needs to be this complex really. Why not just unlock the map with the timer?

Timed run LB concerns? No problem… make it so that when someone joins the map in the middle of the timed run the timer just doesn’t link to the LB / Personal Best times OR… add 60 minutes to the timer for everyone who joins / leaves. This way we still can see how long the run actually takes.

<Elite Runners>

IGNs: Alrisaia | Alrisio | Gallinar
    Guides: Glossary of Terms | Twisting Ribbit | The Blender

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Alrisaia For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alrisaia View Post
    I am delighted that this was brought up again and would love for some action to be taken.

So – I’m not sure it needs to be this complex really. Why not just unlock the map with the timer?

Timed run LB concerns? No problem… make it so that when someone joins the map in the middle of the timed run the timer just doesn’t link to the LB / Personal Best times OR… add 60 minutes to the timer for everyone who joins / leaves. This way we still can see how long the run actually takes.
    Right, good points. Like I said, I don't have a strong grasp of the coding behind maps with a timer. Either way works for me! What's important is we solve the three primary issues with elite maps locking: losing a player due to poor connection, losing a player due to "rage quitting" or a legitimate reason to log off, running a map with 2-3 people (which many of us like to do) and not being able to invite a 4th for boss loot. Solve these issues, and I foresee a stronger desire for players to run elite maps - both hardcore and casual.
    Last edited by Taejo; 09-05-2013 at 01:32 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts

Also... I am out of thanks so... THANKS!!!

<Elite Runners>

IGNs: Alrisaia | Alrisio | Gallinar
    Guides: Glossary of Terms | Twisting Ribbit | The Blender

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    403 Posts

They could just have another button on the world map one for timed the other for non-timed runs like this:

Name:  timed.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  19.3 KB

Only downside is dungeons like Watchers, etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by falmear View Post
    They could just have another button on the world map one for timed the other for non-timed runs like this:

Watchers don't need to be changed, this is more of a issue of timer starts someone leaves then u have to restart because no one can get into the map, I like your 2 button idea very much though +1 to that and +1 to the OP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

This was brought up before in the feedback thread on eliminating elite dungeons. I think one of the developers said they would look into this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    84 Posts

Arena is also timerun dungeon but ppl still can join in the middle of the fight. Dont know how its done but maybe it would be possible for elite dungeons too...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    250 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by falmear View Post

Thats a great idea! Another option would be to have a default where all pugs are not timed and all parties are timed, yet there would be a box on the social party tab that would allow the leader of a party to disable the timer. After all, I don't think any pugs would ever need to be timed, because people in pugs are not realistically shooting for the leaderboards. Furthermore, when people are in a party, it will designated a responsible party, the leader, to determine whether or not the runs will be timed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Energizeric View Post
    This was brought up before in the feedback thread on eliminating elite dungeons. I think one of the developers said they would look into this.
    Yes, I know. I am actively part of that thread as you probably know. Consider this a friendly reminder

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts

Thank you for bringing this up again! While it's been mentioned in a previous thread, I think that a constructive, positive post with ideas of how to implement it is a good reminder to devs that this is still desirable--much more desirable than eliminating elites.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    250 Posts

Here is what I posted in that old thread about the party system where we talked about a lot of this:

Quote Originally Posted by drgrimmy View Post
    Like this...

Attachment 29924

Sorry for the limited photo editing on my phone
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/show...y-System/page2

Again make it so that only the party leader can disable the timer. Also all pugs should not be timed so people can come and go as they please to bail or to help out I am probably just a little biased, but I think still a good idea
    Last edited by drgrimmy; 09-05-2013 at 04:18 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pandamoni View Post
    Thank you for bringing this up again! While it's been mentioned in a previous thread, I think that a constructive, positive post with ideas of how to implement it is a good reminder to devs that this is still desirable--much more desirable than eliminating elites.
    Out of thank yous, but yes these are my intentions behind resuscitating and isolating this topic. The elite maps thread is far too much information/too many ideas consolidated into one thread. This thread is strictly to address the issue of the timer in elite maps, and for us to come up with reasonable solutions for STG to analyze - not debate as to whether or not elite maps should stay or go.
    Last edited by Taejo; 09-05-2013 at 04:24 PM.