Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What makes you open crates (if you open)?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    302 Posts

Default What makes you open crates (if you open)?

I wonder what makes you guys open crates in these days...

Yes, there is Ker'shal Scepter, but what else?

Myth things have dropped in their value and because they will be dead after this season, the price is hardly expected to rise...

Top Legendaries can be farmed with much less risk or bought in CS for reasonable money...

Arcane pets - the chance is microscopic and it is much more safe (and challenge, too) to farm money for them. Their prices are, say, from 7-16M.

I wanted to pop open some 200+ crates but now when I think of it, I see no real reason.

what makes YOU open the crates/puzzleboxes?

KingMartin AKA Queenotshade
    GM at <Elite Runners>
    Sig: Courtesy of Bloodpack

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

Nothing makes me open them. For the reasons stated in your post, I am waiting. I think unless someone is going to open 1000 crates or more, the expectation of getting an arcane item is not there. So that leaves mythic, and right now mythic items are all from last season and not worth very much because of that. I will wait until we have some new level 36 mythic items that have better value, and then I will open some crates. I'm guessing we will see some new mythic rings/amulets before the season is over. As has been discussed, the current mythic ring and amulets are no longer the best, so I'm guessing there will be upgrades available before long.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    411 Posts

greediness is who opens crates for me

Don't waste my time, don't waste yours

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by inkredble View Post
    If there is no one opening locked then who gonna suply mythic,egg or arcane item lol.unless its farmable

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    302 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by inkredble View Post
    I would not call it greediness, I would call it rather gambling. And as discussed many times, if one decides to gamble, he should not rant about getting nothing then

I would like to buy arcane pet, but before I do it I thought of sacrificing some RL cash and try to get it via luck. (or perhaps get some additional gold via valuable things I might loot)

What I am trying to get at is that I see no big motivation to open crates currently. And if less people open crates, STS will feel it. And if STS feels it, we might get new goodies in the crates soon

What makes me suspicious, too, is that I feel that the crates drop less. I may have just bad luck, but I see the same happening in the party around me, too. Again, I think this is rather a good trend, no rant about that

GM at <Elite Runners>

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KingMartin For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts

Definitely the gambling factor in it. The chance at either Arcane or Mythics just light up your eyes if you have never looted one.

Last week it was my FIRST time EVER looting a mythic after hundreds of crates. I would really like to loot an Arcane now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Not going to open anymore because all mythic items right now not worth very much because top pinks way better than them !!!

Arcane Legends

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I think for me, it's the feeling when you loot a arcane items/pets from locked.

L36 Rouge: Mythicals
    L36 Warrior: Octobers
    L36 Sorcerer: Mischiefs

Stop & Stare

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mostly to earn "quick money" in chances of looting arcane/mythic drops.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

Obviously, to get a better/valuable loot.
    The Forum here is more FUN!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts

My reasons I don't open them are that I have no platinum and if I did, I hate gambling and would rather sell them and buy the items myself. Also I lost my lucky socks.

Just an average signature

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    302 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IronMonkey View Post
    Obviously, to get a better/valuable loot.
    I agree with you - that was always my motivation. But now I think - and it is only my personal opinion - that the price/chance/value is slightly off balance.

Some time ago, you had chance for arcane or loot myth items 3-8M worth and perhaps some valuable pinks.

Now I see that all the items are dropping in price, have a look at McCraw or Ethyl prices, it is not only myths. If I loot a pink from the crate, it is like 30k worth if I am lucky.

BTW, I really think crates drop less, but there are probably still incredible amounts spread among the players, because the price won't go up and sticks to like 11-12k.

Of course, it can be that the drop rate is dynamic, e.g. adjusting to number of crates looted and not opened in total, or drop rate reduced if I have like 200+ crates on stock.

GM at <Elite Runners>

14. The Following User Says Thank You to KingMartin For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KingMartin View Post
    I agree with you - that was always my motivation. But now I think - and it is only my personal opinion - that the price/chance/value is slightly off balance.

Some time ago, you had chance for arcane or loot myth items 3-8M worth and perhaps some valuable pinks.

Now I see that all the items are dropping in price, have a look at McCraw or Ethyl prices, it is not only myths. If I loot a pink from the crate, it is like 30k worth if I am lucky.

BTW, I really think crates drop less, but there are probably still incredible amounts spread among the players, because the price won't go up and sticks to like 11-12k.

Of course, it can be that the drop rate is dynamic, e.g. adjusting to number of crates looted and not opened in total, or drop rate reduced if I have like 200+ crates on stock.
    I understand, the question should not be about what motivates us to open crates. The right question to be asked is, Is it a good time to open crates?
    The Forum here is more FUN!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    302 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IronMonkey View Post
    I understand, the question should not be about what motivates us to open crates. The right question to be asked is, Is it a good time to open crates?
    Yes, that is exactly what I had in mind.

What makes you open crates in these days?

We all know that it is not good time to open crates. But I was curious what makes people open crates despite of this because perhaps there is some possible loot that I have overlooked

At least two of my guildies would like to buy Scepter although it is still heavily overpriced. But there do not seem to be any on the market free for sale. Would there be, the owners would sell for sure, because they will never get such a price again. Being a rogue, I would sell immediately and keep the money for next season with hope for Rogue arcane weapon.

So, my plain theory is that not many crates get open and with low drop rate it makes the staves extremely, extremely rare.

GM at <Elite Runners>

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

What made me open crates was the fact that i wanted to b at the top of my class when i reached elite lvl cap. Well im at elite lvl cap and i think ive decided no more opening crates for me. The odds just arent good enough at gettin a single piece of mythic/arcane atm. Maybe if they introduce new gear or make odds better at least just a smidge i might try again. P.s. I think u may b right about locked crates drop rate going down and i think the reason the prices arent goin up w/ drop rate decrease is because less ppl r opening because either they want more gear intoduced or they have spent too much money. Idk!!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to DMminion For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

I open crates simply because it's a gamble & we all like to gamble... hoping something great will come out of it
    CallMeOops
    Earning Gold Daily - Hit Me Up For Elite Runs/Egg Hunting etc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Opening crates definitely seems like a joke. I made around 5m in season 2 when the cap was 21 just buying elite golden and elite banded goldens and opening them and selling the items. It wasn't a luck type of thing, it was just that the market price of the chests was pushed below equilibrium and I was getting insane value per chest.

The reality is, 17 chests opened and you could have saved 170k+ on gold, as well as spend the 250 plat on an abaddon egg and had a *guaranteed* profit of at least 2.8m or so.

I agree with the OP - clearly the odds are not in your favor for these LGCs.

In response to CallMeOops, why gamble when the alternative of free money is on the table? :]

Also note, I haven't been active since S1-S2, but I get the market and I know how to dodge the gold sinks.
    Username : Jimmeh
    Guild Name : Arcane Energy
    Position : Guildmaster

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts

I open about 20-500 a week... Mainly for fun. You never know. Lately, im slowing down to about 10-20 a day because the odds are really bad and prices are down. My last 40 gave a few plat, some gold, and a few trash pinks. Idk... Might wait til sts gives a little bonus luck again.
    Hakuna Matatas

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Hope.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    481 Posts

The feeling of getting a valuable item..
    Judgementals, Retired Officer of Rated M.