Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mages are NOT squishy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Mages are NOT squishy

It isnt very hard to figure out.

When devs made this game, they didnt intend for you guys to rush to bosses with big *** mobs following you, simple, try clearing with a 5 man team, see if you're too squishy then.

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

They are too!! especially if you are in a 5 man team, but you are the only one doing good combos; AGRO FEST!!

Perhaps devs need to balance the agro scaling a little lol, so squishy ranges don't pull the mobs so much. Even a bear doing everything possible to hold agro can lose it if there is a good mage or bird.
    gaabob - lv50 pally/mage; gaabobtwo - lv50 dual bird; gaabobthree - lv50 intbear/strbear; gaabobfour - lv50 dextress; gaabobfive - lv50 bowbear; gaabobtwink - lv20 intbear twink; deathsparkles - lv20 bird twink; a mule; and a lv47 ao2 farmer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,020 Posts

They aren't too squishy, but few games I play have tanks that do their jobs, so often times, I get all aggro with my keeper staff, and none of the tanks taunt or beckon :/ Mages rely heavily on my shield now, since the refresh time in between heal is enough time for mobs to kill you, even if you try spamming pots. The yellow aliens especially can kill a tank, so if a mage gets one, they are pretty much done. I think we almost need a guide for everyone to read that says how to play each class. I often times have a Mage that won't take care of their team because they are stingy on mana since they are still IMO the worst spec; a rift paladin. If you have a well working teams, a Mage can survive, but if your teams tactic is "ok, let's run in, and spam skills!!!" then, well, they will be..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Mysticaldream View Post
    They aren't too squishy, but few games I play have tanks that do their jobs, so often times, I get all aggro with my keeper staff, and none of the tanks taunt or beckon :/ Mages rely heavily on my shield now, since the refresh time in between heal is enough time for mobs to kill you, even if you try spamming pots. The yellow aliens especially can kill a tank, so if a mage gets one, they are pretty much done. I think we almost need a guide for everyone to read that says how to play each class. I often times have a Mage that won't take care of their team because they are stingy on mana since they are still IMO the worst spec; a rift paladin. If you have a well working teams, a Mage can survive, but if your teams tactic is "ok, let's run in, and spam skills!!!" then, well, they will be..
    OMG dont start with the Keeper... once that thing is turned on... all mobs ignore tanks and come after me... lucky I have the Inching Proc and I usually get out alive... Mages Rock~!
    IGN: Inching

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

i love standing there, not even auto-attacking, and 2 shots from a yellow blaster-b**** send me packing. happened 3 times in the keepers room, and i was just standing there while everyone else was going crazy. wasnt even the keeper lol.
    404 - not found ...maybe one day...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

when the new pvp is issued later, i can tell you mages ARE squishy...

when i am playing pvp now, everyone (bow bears / tanks / birds) can kill me while i can only kill those without buff
    i have to play pvp like a jer.......k

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,020 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arterra View Post
    i love standing there, not even auto-attacking, and 2 shots from a yellow blaster-b**** send me packing. happened 3 times in the keepers room, and i was just standing there while everyone else was going crazy. wasnt even the keeper lol.
    You think the devs made it so the yellow, alien know tactics? Like to attack the healers first.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mysticaldream View Post
    You think the devs made it so the yellow, alien know tactics? Like to attack the healers first.
    yea idk why...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

And i didn't yet explore that level in ao3... so it means even a lvl 50 paladin will have difficulties to survive more than a few seconds, right ? Better get the right team and a few bear bodyguards then...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts

Twink, do you have a level 50 Int mage? I've had capped mages since 25 was the cap. Yes mages are meant to be squishy and yes mages can't rush very well, but that's not the point. Just playing regular PvE with a decent team, mages get 1 shot way too often in AO3 (and not just by bosses). It's a real problem...
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6183&dateline=1275696  601
    Quote Originally Posted by conradin View Post
    To doubt Royce, is to doubt your sanity...
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinkTastical View Post
    Royce is right, You are WRONG. Live with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

dev won't do any change on mage at the moment, at least not very soon

they don't think there's a issue with int mage
    Quote Originally Posted by Justg
    Kids, please.
    Quote Originally Posted by rangepwnsmeel
    I look at people as equals until they give me a reason to frown upon them. Not implying that me, other PL shield winners, or any GOA think themselves to be better then other people.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j46g629h View Post
    dev won't do any change on mage at the moment, at least not very soon

they don't think there's a issue with int mage
    Did they tell you this personally, or are you just guessing? I think they do realize there is an issue. unfortunately, I think they may just tone down the difficulty of AO3 a bit, which is too bad since it is just about right (as a challenging campaign) for other classes, and I think changing mana shield to make it more effective, or changing the sorry state of Int stat increases is a better solution. Anyway, what makes you think they don't recognize the problem? None of the devs play mages afaik, except asommers who is like level 33, and mages are always the most overlooked and forgotten class, but the devs still realize they are there, and the game needs to be changed so that all classes can participate in AO3 without continuous 1-shot frustration.
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6183&dateline=1275696  601

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Royce View Post
    Did they tell you this personally, or are you just guessing? I think they do realize there is an issue. unfortunately, I think they may just tone down the difficulty of AO3 a bit, which is too bad since it is just about right (as a challenging campaign) for other classes, and I think changing mana shield to make it more effective, or changing the sorry state of Int stat increases is a better solution. Anyway, what makes you think they don't recognize the problem? None of the devs play mages afaik, except asommers who is like level 33, and mages are always the most overlooked and forgotten class, but the devs still realize they are there, and the game needs to be changed so that all classes can participate in AO3 without continuous 1-shot frustration.
    I never knew devs didn't even completely play the game. :O

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ellyidol View Post
    I never knew devs didn't even completely play the game. :O
    well they can change their level, stats, everything with a few buttons, but hey.
    404 - not found ...maybe one day...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Because some people complained about mage and bird got one shoot while at ol and spend a lot of money on pot

then dev just said that we didn't play in right level and gear, that's why we got one shoot and need to buy pot for that

I was lv 48, I thought they might be right, although I didn't 100% agree with that

now just like most mage I'm lv50 and got full cosmos set (wand+shield)

still die in one or two shoot with full buff

I don't want dev to change difficulty of AO3, which might result people get bored quickly

but I do think there is something that dev should do about int mage right now

better than release some updates that just make people spend more plat on that
    Quote Originally Posted by Justg
    Kids, please.
    Quote Originally Posted by rangepwnsmeel
    I look at people as equals until they give me a reason to frown upon them. Not implying that me, other PL shield winners, or any GOA think themselves to be better then other people.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

WRONG.. we ALL spend money on pots, regardless of class, sooo elves shouldnt get special treatment even though they all die, if a bear posted this, he,d get laughed at, but you waxed eared staff sucking robe unwearing spell castering toons.. get to cry.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts

Twink just stay out of the enchantress class discussion. It's quite clear you have no idea what's going on. Yes if a bear posted this they would get laughed at, but that's because life for a bear is much easier in AO3 (I have a level 50 Int Mage and level 50 tank). The situation is currently ridiculous. Yes Int mages should be squishy, and should have to be careful, and I would say they even should have to deal with getting 1-shot without anyway to stop it, but only occasionally. It had always been the case. It use to be Deadeyes, then Frogmar, etc. But now it's gone too far, it's not just certain bosses any more. In AO3 Int mages can get 1-shot while buffed against any boss, and frequently can get 1-shot fighting minibosses and even common mobs. Twink, if you actually had a mage, you'd understand, but you don't, so you don't I gotta say it's pretty unzen to post a thread on a topic you know nothing about and try to dismiss a serious issue that you haven't even had a chance to experience. I'm quite disappointed in you...
    Last edited by Royce; 11-06-2010 at 12:55 PM.

Guardian of Alterra FluffNStuff's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Royce View Post
    In AO3 Int mages can get 1-shot while buffed against any boss, and frequently can get 1-shot fighting minibosses and even common mobs.
    Want to look at two fully buffed classes, a ~pure~ tank and a ~pure~ mage: Both have 160 in main, rest in dex.
    Tank:
    380 Health
    ~180 Base Armor
    50 Iron Armor buff
    = 610 1Shot Survival Points
    Mage:
    200 Health
    380 Mana
    ~100 Armor
    32 Armor BOV
    = 712 1 Shot Survival Points

So this means a 650 Point shot should insta kill a tank but not a buffed intelligence mage. This is clearly not what people are experiencing, so what is the cause for the discrepancy?
    When ever a tank takes 1 shot of any damage, they slam pots. Do mages do the same?
    Is Mana Shield protected by Armor?
    Is the problem really two shots? Let look at the ~two~ shot survival points:
    Tank:
    380 Health
    ~180 Base Armor
    50 Iron Armor buff
    ~180 Base Armor
    50 Iron Armor buff
    = 840 2Shot Survival Points
    Mage:
    200 Health
    380 Mana
    ~100 Armor
    32 Armor BOV
    ~100 Armor
    32 Armor BOV
    = 844 2 Shot Survival Points

Could keep this going, but the point is, Fully buffed Tanks can survive more shots then a fully buffed mage, but a fully buffed mage can survive 1 shot better, so they may be squishy, but getting ~1~ shot is NOT the issue.

The Hundred Acre Legends:
    HunnySniper - HunnyStorm
    Please Fill out the End Game Pet Survey!|||||| What's With that Shield Icon?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FluffNStuff View Post
    Want to look at two fully buffed classes, a ~pure~ tank and a ~pure~ mage: Both have 160 in main, rest in dex.
    Tank:
    380 Health
    ~180 Base Armor
    50 Iron Armor buff
    = 610 1Shot Survival Points
    Mage:
    200 Health
    380 Mana
    ~100 Armor
    32 Armor BOV
    = 712 1 Shot Survival Points

So this means a 650 Point shot should insta kill a tank but not a buffed intelligence mage. This is clearly not what people are experiencing, so what is the cause for the discrepancy?
    When ever a tank takes 1 shot of any damage, they slam pots. Do mages do the same?
    Is Mana Shield protected by Armor?
    Is the problem really two shots? Let look at the ~two~ shot survival points:
    Tank:
    380 Health
    ~180 Base Armor
    50 Iron Armor buff
    ~180 Base Armor
    50 Iron Armor buff
    = 840 2Shot Survival Points
    Mage:
    200 Health
    380 Mana
    ~100 Armor
    32 Armor BOV
    ~100 Armor
    32 Armor BOV
    = 844 2 Shot Survival Points

Could keep this going, but the point is, Fully buffed Tanks can survive more shots then a fully buffed mage, but a fully buffed mage can survive 1 shot better, so they may be squishy, but getting ~1~ shot is NOT the issue.
    IGN 'xeraa'

Guardian of Alterra FluffNStuff's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xera View Post
    I can haz no math skillz.

The Hundred Acre Legends:
    HunnySniper - HunnyStorm
    Please Fill out the End Game Pet Survey!|||||| What's With that Shield Icon?