Page 455 of 485 FirstFirst ... 355405445453454455456457465 ... LastLast
Results 9,081 to 9,100 of 9682

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: People behind the characters!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    274 Posts

Screw running, go lift some weights!
    AL: Jiig PL: Jig 80
    Veni Vidi Vici
    Worst thing I could be, is the same as everyone

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,058 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonTider View Post
    Truth.

My goal is to get my legs back, and hopefully do a sprint triathlon next summer, and build from there. The cycling comes easy as that has been my drug for the last 10 years, but I have missed running. I would love to complete a full IronMan triathlon before I hit 40, but not sure my knees can handle 26+ miles of running.

@Will - He did.... horrible in state. Finished approximately 2 minutes slower than his regional time. I don't know if running with 300+ boys intimidated or what. He said his knees were bothering him, but haven't bothered him all season, so who knows. Could be a growth spurt. He wants to run in high school next year so I am going to start his training in a few weeks to start getting him built up for the extra mileage.
    Say no to drugs crim!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jig View Post
    Its makes you short

Do parkour gives u sweg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    384 Posts

Or do both.

Programmed-Level 85 mage, Praktica-Level 85 rhino

Tournament & Ladder Leader XghostzX's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,204 Posts

Truth.

My goal is to get my legs back, and hopefully do a sprint triathlon next summer, and build from there. The cycling comes easy as that has been my drug for the last 10 years, but I have missed running. I would love to complete a full IronMan triathlon before I hit 40, but not sure my knees can handle 26+ miles of running.

@Will - He did.... horrible in state. Finished approximately 2 minutes slower than his regional time. I don't know if running with 300+ boys intimidated or what. He said his knees were bothering him, but haven't bothered him all season, so who knows. Could be a growth spurt. He wants to run in high school next year so I am going to start his training in a few weeks to start getting him built up for the extra mileage.
    I'm sure he would be nervous from the competition. If that were me running state the first time, my legs would feel a little shaky. It's important to focus on both the physical and psychological aspect of running if he wants to compete at a high level.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by XghostzX View Post
    I'm sure he would be nervous from the competition. If that were me running state the first time, my legs would feel a little shaky. It's important to focus on both the physical and psychological aspect of running if he wants to compete at a high level.
    The physical part of running is easy, if you put in the work, you get what you give.

The mental part of running, is where I see the most problems in us runners.

As a freshman I struggled terribly with the mental aspect of running, mid season I started developing the mental toughness that is needed to perform at a high level.

According to Olympian and author Jeff Galloway: “The brain has two hemispheres that are separated and don’t interconnect. The left-brain tries to steer us towards pleasure and away from discomfort. The intuitive-creative right side connects us to our hidden strengths.”

By mentally preparing for the extreme and not so extreme challenges you expect, you will empower the right side of the brain and develop mental toughness. As we accumulate stress and uncomfort, the left-brain sends us a stream of negative messages telling us to “slow down,” “stop and you’ll feel better,” “this isn’t your day,” and even “why are you doing this?”

But you can't stop, and you won't stop (hehe), you just need to push the limits of yourself both physically and mentally, and some amazing things are going to happen.

Guardian of Alterra CrimsonTider's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dudetus View Post
    Say no to drugs crim!
    My European brother, you know better than I do the addictive nature of cycling. NOTHING beats going down the side of a mountain at 50+ mph.

Quote Originally Posted by Promagin View Post
    The physical part of running is easy, if you put in the work, you get what you give.

The mental part of running, is where I see the most problems in us runners.

As a freshman I struggled terribly with the mental aspect of running, mid season I started developing the mental toughness that is needed to perform at a high level.

According to Olympian and author Jeff Galloway: “The brain has two hemispheres that are separated and don’t interconnect. The left-brain tries to steer us towards pleasure and away from discomfort. The intuitive-creative right side connects us to our hidden strengths.”

By mentally preparing for the extreme and not so extreme challenges you expect, you will empower the right side of the brain and develop mental toughness. As we accumulate stress and uncomfort, the left-brain sends us a stream of negative messages telling us to “slow down,” “stop and you’ll feel better,” “this isn’t your day,” and even “why are you doing this?”

But you can't stop, and you won't stop (hehe), you just need to push the limits of yourself both physically and mentally, and some amazing things are going to happen.
    This is what I have been preaching to him since he started. He has never played an organized sport before now and when he said he wanted to run, I told him his "mental toughness" would be the hardest thing to overcome. He has the physical makeup (skin and bones like I was at his age) andgenetics (I love endurance sports as I played soccer for 8 years, run, and got into cycling about 10 years ago), but has got to learn how to push when there is literally nothing left in the tank or he gets that ischemic side pain (sharp pain in side due to oxygen depletion.)

He will be fine. As I slowly get back in shape, I will be able to run with him and push him. At some point, he will get tired of the "old man" blowing his socks off.
    CrimsonTider::Astuteness::Crim::CrimzonTider::IBec kon::Houndstooth
    WreckzNEffect::Intuitive::Kinesiology::Crimagical: :Killtastrophe::SsgtSlaughter::Transfixion
    Arrownaut::Crimtacular::Funkdified::CrimJr

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CrimsonTider For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,204 Posts

I've been playing sports for a long time, and have done all kinds of sports (Soccer, football, baseball, basketball, vball, etc.) From all of my experiences though, no matter how good shape you are, running and swimming arguably require the strongest mental set. If you can overcome and endure long runs and push yourself even more each time, than you can really accomplish anything else in life. Running is individual - that's why I can't compare it to soccer. There's a HUGE sense of family in a competitive soccer team, which is something I'll always cherish. You can always take something out of any sport you play.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts

I've been playing sports for a long time, and have done all kinds of sports (Soccer, football, baseball, basketball, vball, etc.) From all of my experiences though, no matter how good shape you are, running and swimming arguably require the strongest mental set. If you can overcome and endure long runs and push yourself even more each time, than you can really accomplish anything else in life. Running is individual - that's why I can't compare it to soccer. There's a HUGE sense of family in a competitive soccer team, which is something I'll always cherish. You can always take something out of any sport you play.
    You should try a 100 mile (yes, mile) bicycle ride over 3 mountains. Not sure if I had mental toughness or mental insanity.

My interest has also risen lately in doing a trail ultra-marathon. Something about being in the woods makes me happy.
    WreckzNEffect::Intuitive::Kinesiology::Crimagical: :Killtastrophe::SsgtSlaughter::Transfixion

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CrimsonTider For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    783 Posts

Always wanted to do triathlon but never got around to do it I've got pretty good stamina for it considering I do sport 24/7 with college and local club sport

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ssneakykills For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,204 Posts

You should try a 100 mile (yes, mile) bicycle ride over 3 mountains. Not sure if I had mental toughness or mental insanity.

My interest has also risen lately in doing a trail ultra-marathon. Something about being in the woods makes me happy.
    My dad just completed his first triathlon. He's having some plate-surgery now, as we speak... the physical exercise kind of took a toll on his body.

But before his surgery he said he wouldn't have wanted to do triathlon any differently. He had the time of his life.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts

My dad just completed his first triathlon. He's having some plate-surgery now, as we speak... the physical exercise kind of took a toll on his body.

But before his surgery he said he wouldn't have wanted to do triathlon any differently. He had the time of his life.
    Will.. this does not provide me with any encouragement. (Sounds like your dad and I share a common thread of mental insanity. Old enough to know better, young enough not to care.)

LOL.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    384 Posts

Will.. this does not provide me with any encouragement. (Sounds like your dad and I share a common thread of mental insanity. Old enough to know better, young enough not to care.)

LOL.
    It sure wouldn't encourage me either if I was older and then hear about that. But running isn't really my thing anyways, I'd much rather go backpacking or rock-climbing. A 100 mile backpacking trip through the Appalachians is awesome.

Programmed-Level 85 mage, Praktica-Level 85 rhino

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,058 Posts

LOL.
    U shoulda have done it like I did Crim, hurt urself so bad u can't have a hobby requiring thigh muscles. Eases a lot of stress

18. The Following User Says Thank You to dudetus For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,020 Posts

But don't forget the importance of Whey protein powder!

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KingFu For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,204 Posts

LOL.
    Well that's actually because he's been running WAY too much on concrete (sidewalks). The concrete was terrible for his knees. The trick, he told me, is to run more frequently on soft pavement, or a nature trail (on dirt).

As a substitute, he's been biking and swimming. Swimming is actually a very good method for loosening up muscles and strengthening them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Keep going, Crim! You're doing great!

What I do to see noticeable results after not running is hit myself hard on leg press. On one or two days of the week, hit those gluts, quads, etc until you can barely lift 1 plate on each side. The next day will be hell but when you're all healed up, you will notice a vast improvement in stamina/speed.
    Click My Signature to Check Out My YouTube Channel.
    Warning: Any Beggars Will Be Put On Ignore List

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts

Well that's actually because he's been running WAY too much on concrete (sidewalks). The concrete was terrible for his knees. The trick, he told me, is to run more frequently on soft pavement, or a nature trail (on dirt).

As a substitute, he's been biking and swimming. Swimming is actually a very good method for loosening up muscles and strengthening them.
    One reason I invested in a road bike was this very reason: I had put so many miles on my knees and back it was getting hard to run. This was about the time I began physical therapy school and completely changed my approach to fitness and health. In the case of a runner, if you do not cross train (cycle, swim, trail run, row machine), as well as work on functional strength and flexibility, you are not training properly. These are things I was not taught in my teens and will cost me later in life from a "wear and tear" standpoint.

Doesn't matter, about to put 5 miles in. O.o

24. The Following User Says Thank You to CrimsonTider For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts

Meow
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 535
Size:  244.2 KB
    I made me an Instagram, y'all.
    brookielynnec