Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: is it worth it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    384 Posts

Default is it worth it?

Is it worth it buying an Ipad mini? I have used a kindle fire ever since they came out. I got it for Christmas at the time and have not been impressed at all since then. In the first year I had 3 replacements and knew someone with 9 replacements. Now it has been past my 1 year warranty and my 3rd replacement is breaking too, but amazon won't replace it now that the warranty is up. I also use a ipod 4th generation. I saved up $200 after a few years of cutting grass to get an ipod and bought the ipod ive been wanting. The 4 gen was the new one so I got it. The first night I had it, I was already not impressed. It says in the description it holds 10+ hours of battery. I got 3 hours IF I was lucky. I returned it thinking it was a flawed one. The replacement had the same problem but also crashed frequently. I returned it but they said I couldn't get my money back, only replace it. I thought this was really stupid but I had either 2 choices; replace it, or waste the $200 I spent years saving up for a device called an ipod that I always heard great things about and loved as soon as I tried a friend's. The third replacement had the same issues. I put up with them; the frequent charges, crashes, apps not downloading. The only thing good was that I could listen to my favorite music anywhere, anytime. But now, a year later, I am sick of putting up with an ipod that doesn't work. Now that I turned 16 and finally on Tuesday was able to take my driving test and passed, I would like to try and get a job, and get something better. I got an email a month or so back from Apple about their new Ipad mini. The full size ipad is too expensive but works wonderful when I tried one out. So I was wondering, is an ipad mini good, and worth the price? Thanks in advance
    -Scary

EDIT: yay now it's completely broken ( -_- ) so those of you who know me I won't be on pl for a while probably. Unless i can finally get used to playing on a computer. I looked at reviews for the iPod 4 gen and turns out I wasted $200 and its not just me with problems; they discontinued the 4 gen. No one sells it anywhere now. Makes me kind of pissed now my kindle fire has no screen display other than these crazy lines (I'll try to get a pic, it's weird) and my iPod I can use for the forums but pl crashes. So in game I'm gone for a while but forums I'm still here (for now unless the iPod breaks completely too).
    Last edited by programmed; 10-06-2013 at 04:06 PM.

Programmed-Level 85 mage, Praktica-Level 85 rhino

Forum Legend
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts

iPad's are the the best!
    My battery lasts around 4~5 hours while playing AL/PL.

I've had my Kindle for a year and haven't had to exchange it.
    It has some power issues. (Only charges when I put it in a certain position)

I say go for it bro!

Luminary Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    788 Posts

I was actually in the exact same shoes as you. I used an iPod 2 forever, then got the Kindle Fire. I had to replace the Kindle Fire FIVE times, and then I finally got my money back. I was wanting an iPad 3, yet I didn't wanna wait until Christmas. I got the iPad Mini, and I've been nothing but impressed. It runs so much more smooth than the Kindle Fire, it seems like it has better WiFi connection, meaning less ping It has just impressed me, and I'm so glad I got it. I'm sure that its just luck, but I have dropped this thing from about 4ft off the ground at least 3 times, (Clumsy me) and twice on its screen, and it hasn't broken yet xD Once again that <-- may be just luck, but it might just be made nice o.o If you have any questions other than just in general is it nice, I'll answer them. Other people may suggest other things, but all I'm saying is that I've been in your shoes, and you shouldn't be disappointed with the iPad Mini.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Trenton For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    384 Posts

Here's how the kindle screen is:

And when I press on the screen it's worse:

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk - now Free

Luminary Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    788 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheScaryBeary View Post
    Here's how the kindle screen is:

And when I press on the screen it's worse:

Omg poor you :/ Didn't realize the screen was destroyed o.O But seriously, the iPad Mini is great! Get it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

This is what I don't get the point of a iPad is so it is big. So what's the point of iPad mini when a iPad is supposed to be big, I'd suggest a regular iPad !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    384 Posts

Ok thanks guys. I'll be saving up for an iPad mini then. Once I hopefully get a job, I'll have about $230 to go (so much ) @archer: a regular iPad is too much money and the mini is like $100+ cheaper than regular iPad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Also about that iPod crashing alot I had that problem as well. I've had my iPod 4th generation for 2 years now but about that crashing thing, it went out of power this one day so I went to charge it after that it stopped crashing frequently, so my advice is try to turn off the iPod for a few minutes then open it and see if it crashes as much.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    384 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Archermaster View Post
    Also about that iPod crashing alot I had that problem as well. I've had my iPod 4th generation for 2 years now but about that crashing thing, it went out of power this one day so I went to charge it after that it stopped crashing frequently, so my advice is try to turn off the iPod for a few minutes then open it and see if it crashes as much.
    I've done that many times shutting it off and on

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

I've done that many times shutting it off and on

Oh try to turn it off but wait a few minutes before turning it back on

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    384 Posts

Default is it worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by Archermaster View Post
    Oh try to turn it off but wait a few minutes before turning it back on
    Yes, I've done that. When i contacted Apple support and they told me to do that, I did it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    58 Posts

The ipad mini is about to be replaced. If you must get a tablet then I suggest the following in order from best choice to worst

1.Kindle fire HDX7 (starts at 229 for 16GB)

2.Nexus 7 2013 (starts at 229 for 16GB) the Kindle fire hd has a better processor and is generally more bang for the buck

3.Ipad mini 2nd nothing is confirmed yet but it will be a typical hardware update over last year's model. Fingerprint sensor and all.

4.Kindle fire HD (starts at 139) by far the cheapest fix. This is a new device with a new design but is essentially made with hardware from 2012. It's got more than enough horsepower to play sts games though.

5.Ipad mini 1 (starts at 299) if you enjoy overpaying for hardware, go ahead and purchase this one it's got a shoddy 1024x768 resolution, an outdated A5 processor, and a new one is weeks away from unveil. Really, you couldn't wish you purchase the ipad mini 1 at a worse time.
    Last edited by OvigorothO; 10-06-2013 at 05:33 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    384 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by OvigorothO View Post
    The ipad mini is about to be replaced. If you must get a tablet then I suggest the following in order from best choice to worst

1.Kindle fire HDX7 (starts at 229 for 16GB)

2.Nexus 7 2013 (starts at 229 for 16GB) the Kindle fire hd has a better processor and is generally more bang for the buck

3.Ipad mini 2nd nothing is confirmed yet but it will be a typical hardware update over last year's model. Fingerprint sensor and all.

4.Kindle fire HD (starts at 139) by far the cheapest fix. This is a new device with a new design but is essentially made with hardware from 2012. It's got more than enough horsepower to play sts games though.

5.Ipad mini 1 (starts at 299) if you enjoy overpaying for hardware, go ahead and purchase this one it's got a shoddy 1024x768 resolution, an outdated A5 processor, and a new one is weeks away from unveil.
    It will be plenty of time until I have money to get something (if im lucky ill be working at a mcdonalds or something) so I can wait for iPad mini if the new one is good. Both my little cousins have a kindle fire hd and so does my little brothers best friend but they just got them and haven't said if its good yet. Plus with my experiences with amazon and kindle fires both, I'm not sure of I'm willing to spend my money for them again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    481 Posts

Go for it, I'm also changing from Ipad 2 to Mini
    Judgementals, Retired Officer of Rated M.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    58 Posts

It will be plenty of time until I have money to get something (if im lucky ill be working at a mcdonalds or something) so I can wait for iPad mini if the new one is good. Both my little cousins have a kindle fire hd and so does my little brothers best friend but they just got them and haven't said if its good yet. Plus with my experiences with amazon and kindle fires both, I'm not sure of I'm willing to spend my money for them again.

The Kindle fire hd I'm referring to isn't out yet. It is essentially the same device as the one your cousins have but it has a new body.
    If you are against the Kindle fires then go for the nexus 7. I've got both the new one and the 2012 model and can honestly say they've been my most used gadgets in an array of game consoles, PCs, phones, tablets, portable game systems, etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    311 Posts

My IPod 5th gen doesn't run out of batteries... ever...

Visit my Youtube Channel! Here--> Terrainrob's Videos of Everything

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    384 Posts

I can't think which is better to do. Try and see if I can sell my games in app stores and turn them into apps (I've started in game designing for fun) . Or I also am a farmer and part of what I do is pigeons. I raise them, breed, and show them. My mom wouldn't be happy about it but as long as I don't keep their babies and sell them I'm sure it's fine. I am extremely good with both computers and animals so those I think are my best choices to make some money off of. I've won champion, best of show, and 1st place all with just one bird before so that will help a lot with sales to other breeders. I'm just looking for some advice, I know it's my choice. I don't think working for someone else like a McDonalds is going to work out for someone like me. And STS if a post like this is against the TOS, I am sorry. I didn't really look to see. If an example of a game I made will help, and its allowed on a different game forum, I can try to post one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    384 Posts

If that is against the rules making a post like what I just did then I will ask the devs to remove it unless they get to it first. And again sorry if it isn't allowed, I honestly didn't know.

Luminary Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    788 Posts

You may wait awhile, like you said, it'll be awhile before you get the money, but seriously don't go with any type of Kindle. No offense to Amazon, but they're crap. The customer service is no bueno, and so are their products.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I used to use iPod but I was getting crashed way to much, but I got ipad mini and is way better, I love it..
    Proud Officer of COT