Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Idea for Vanity Items: Special Effect Vanities

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GoodSyntax View Post
    I would actually love to see this as more of additional proc slot with some visible effects.

Kind of like a Fire Crystal with an additional "Ignite" proc that some of the weapons already have and grants a fire halo effect, or an Ice Crystal with snowflake effect that adds +Armor, or Mana Crystal that adds +Mana Regen with some other sort of effect.

Personally, while I like the effects, I would also like them to do something a little bit useful (unlike banners).
    Hey Syntax! While I think it's a terrific idea to have these effects being more purposeful rather than just for aesthetics, the potential problem I foresee is if the procs you mention would ever be too powerful. The community already has a distinct power gap between mythic and non-mythic users, and the rich vs the poor. If for example there was an effect item which would consistently proc the same kind of panic effect Slag's arcane ability has, I could see players complaining without end about it being OP, especially in PvP and combined with pets. The most powerful of the effect items would become highly sought after, making them not only expensive (and potentially unattainable for most), but would create a greater divide between the haves and have-nots. They could, essentially, become the new generation of mythic items (expensive, highly desirable, powerful, crucial to be competitive).

What I like about the creation of a pure vanity special effect/aura slot is that, though the cooler looking ones may be more expensive, they would not be considered a necessity for competitive playing and players would not feel like they needed to acquire them in order to stand a chance against top caliber players (the way mythics are being viewed as a must-have now, if you want to be a serious competitive PvPer).

Perhaps that potential problem could be managed if none of the procs were too overpowered, or if they just did not activate during PvP matches and only for PvE gaming.

Either way, it's more food for thought and I thank you for the interesting suggestion

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reflexivity For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts

Hmmmm , yesss ... More fashion statements!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

+1! I would pay insane amount of money to be able to fully customize my character, this would be a good start. I would also love the ability to craft your armor and helmet to look like other armor/helmets we like the looks of the best. Would be cool....could cost gold to craft them.....hmmm....

Character(s):
    Archsmurf: Sorcerer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MilliVanilli View Post
    +1! I would pay insane amount of money to be able to fully customize my character, this would be a good start. I would also love the ability to craft your armor and helmet to look like other armor/helmets we like the looks of the best. Would be cool....could cost gold to craft them.....hmmm....
    Totally agree, Milli! The more customization the better! I hope the devs see how much players really desire the ability to personalize their character. That's the one aspect of this great game that I've always found could use more attention.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    784 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Reflexivity View Post
    Hey Syntax! While I think it's a terrific idea to have these effects being more purposeful rather than just for aesthetics, the potential problem I foresee is if the procs you mention would ever be too powerful. The community already has a distinct power gap between mythic and non-mythic users, and the rich vs the poor. If for example there was an effect item which would consistently proc the same kind of panic effect Slag's arcane ability has, I could see players complaining without end about it being OP, especially in PvP and combined with pets. The most powerful of the effect items would become highly sought after, making them not only expensive (and potentially unattainable for most), but would create a greater divide between the haves and have-nots. They could, essentially, become the new generation of mythic items (expensive, highly desirable, powerful, crucial to be competitive).

What I like about the creation of a pure vanity special effect/aura slot is that, though the cooler looking ones may be more expensive, they would not be considered a necessity for competitive playing and players would not feel like they needed to acquire them in order to stand a chance against top caliber players (the way mythics are being viewed as a must-have now, if you want to be a serious competitive PvPer).

Perhaps that potential problem could be managed if none of the procs were too overpowered, or if they just did not activate during PvP matches and only for PvE gaming.

Either way, it's more food for thought and I thank you for the interesting suggestion
    I completely agree about the high-powered buffs. What I was thinking was more along the lines of of +10 DEX, or +50 Mana, or +20 Armor, or +8 Mana Regen, etc. Small buffs that help differentiate the builds and allow players to tweak their stats to be more in-line with their play-style. By no means was I suggesting a Slag or Samael type of Proc....that would be insane!!!

I agree that the problem keeps coming back to the wealthy versus mainstream middle-class divide. But what I am also starting to see is that everyone is becoming geared out identically, with the Full Mythics, Full Architect or Devourer/Dimensional builds. I was just thinking that an add-on effect would help differentiate the builds that are starting to become all-too-common in this game.

It just seems like previous seasons had a more varied set of equipment, whereas now, it's Architect, Mythic or Crate, and that is kind of sad to see...

AL: Kalizzaa
    Retired Officer of <Elite Runners>
    Elite Chronicles: Solo guides for elite maps - No longer maintained

7. The Following User Says Thank You to GoodSyntax For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GoodSyntax View Post
    I completely agree about the high-powered buffs. What I was thinking was more along the lines of of +10 DEX, or +50 Mana, or +20 Armor, or +8 Mana Regen, etc. Small buffs that help differentiate the builds and allow players to tweak their stats to be more in-line with their play-style. By no means was I suggesting a Slag or Samael type of Proc....that would be insane!!!

I agree that the problem keeps coming back to the wealthy versus mainstream middle-class divide. But what I am also starting to see is that everyone is becoming geared out identically, with the Full Mythics, Full Architect or Devourer/Dimensional builds. I was just thinking that an add-on effect would help differentiate the builds that are starting to become all-too-common in this game.

It just seems like previous seasons had a more varied set of equipment, whereas now, it's Architect, Mythic or Crate, and that is kind of sad to see...
    You're right on the money, Syntax. Everyone is pretty much running around with the same look since everyone is geared similarly (due to pursuing the best items they can afford), and as you mentioned, it really is sad to see. That itself is what prompted me to seek out a way of differentiating myself, appearance-wise. I like your emphasis on play-style too. Everyone seems to be running around with the same skills/build as it is. Anything to break the mold in a positive way is welcome in my book.

It would be remarkable if potential appearance tweaks could also enhance certain small buffs as you described. Who wouldn't want an extra amount of armor/mana/health/regen? I would be ecstatic to see that implemented some day.

I support that idea, thanks for your contribution!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Reflexivity For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts

I like the idea too.
    Only a question...what about the lag problem if dev realize it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gwyn View Post
    I like the idea too.
    Only a question...what about the lag problem if dev realize it?
    Hmm, I'm not quite sure what you mean gwyn. Are you concerned that adding an extra vanity item to characters would increase lag?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Reflexivity View Post
    Hmm, I'm not quite sure what you mean gwyn. Are you concerned that adding an extra vanity item to characters would increase lag?
    If it has special effects maybe...or not?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    784 Posts

Special effects shouldn't introduce any significant lag.

We already have effects with Mythics Rings and Amulets, so adding another won't have any impact other than the code necessary to add the new slot.

AL: Kalizzaa
    Retired Officer of <Elite Runners>
    Elite Chronicles: Solo guides for elite maps - No longer maintained

15. The Following User Says Thank You to GoodSyntax For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

I hope this gets noticed

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i would like to see angel wings/ devil wings!
    In Game Name:
    Asirena

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

+1 great idea