Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: In your opinion, what would it take to get PL back to it's glory days?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Default In your opinion, what would it take to get PL back to it's glory days?

At some point, I'm going (as I hinted) to make a series of threads (after careful consideration I decided that 1 thread would be too short), but anyways, what would it take in your opinion?

I will define the peaks of PL as:

- Best community and skill overall: Pre-Mynas Generation Alien Oasis era
    - Most number of "reasonably good" players: The Sewers era
    - Fastest runs? Open to debate. I would distinguish between pre-elixir and post-elixir days.
    - Level of popularity currently enjoyed by AL (which I suspect will begin to decline as more attention shifts to newer games)

Once again, though, what would it take (in your opinion)?:

Would it mean?
    - Content updates
    - Better balance
    - Perhaps greater media coverage
    - A lot of new content?
    - A subscription?

Or something else? Perhaps new modes of play? Something more radical, like a new engine?
    Last edited by WhoIsThis; 10-07-2013 at 09:14 PM.

Guardian of Alterra CrimsonTider's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts

It would take a ressurgence of the "oldies." What I mean by that is, the community that you and I joined is almost completely dead. No matter what changes STS makes to the game, this newer generation, and their "attitudes", will hinder any rise back to glory. The community is no where near as mature as it once was and there is a lot more selfishness in-game as well as on the forums. The "educated" are almost extinct and those with at least some knowledge of the game and it's mechanics don't want to bother with helping because of the rise of the trolls.

Sorry if I make that sound bad, but it is what it is. I started a group a few months back called "The Movement" in hopes to try and revive some of that old feeling. There is a good group who try and make an attempt to maintain a positive playing environment, but the numbers of immature, uneducated players is almost at an overwhelming level.
    CrimsonTider::Astuteness::Crim::CrimzonTider::IBec kon::Houndstooth
    WreckzNEffect::Intuitive::Kinesiology::Crimagical: :Killtastrophe::SsgtSlaughter::Transfixion
    Arrownaut::Crimtacular::Funkdified::CrimJr

3. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to CrimsonTider For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    384 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonTider View Post
    It would take a ressurgence of the "oldies." What I mean by that is, the community that you and I joined is almost completely dead. No matter what changes STS makes to the game, this newer generation, and their "attitudes", will hinder any rise back to glory. The community is no where near as mature as it once was and there is a lot more selfishness in-game as well as on the forums. The "educated" are almost extinct and those with at least some knowledge of the game and it's mechanics don't want to bother with helping because of the rise of the trolls.

Sorry if I make that sound bad, but it is what it is. I started a group a few months back called "The Movement" in hopes to try and revive some of that old feeling. There is a good group who try and make an attempt to maintain a positive playing environment, but the numbers of immature, uneducated players is almost at an overwhelming level.
    I joined that group when you made it and completely forgot about it. Thanks for reminding me XD

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk - now Free

Programmed-Level 85 mage, Praktica-Level 85 rhino

Forum Legend
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts

Something for us to do while we wait for a new cap.

New mode possibly?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    530 Posts

Take a look at the Gw2 community. That's probably the best community I've ever been a part of. Why? There's no quick or easy answer but I'll give two that are the most important in my opinion.

1. Solid Gameplay

You cannot expect to have a good, active community without good, solid gameplay. I remember having a discussion long ago with a few guys (Ghost and Crim I believe? And a few others...) about how part of the reason people are going crazy is because there is freaking nothing to do! I would also say, now, that it isn't only that but also that the stuff we DO have to do is a complete joke. I hate to go all hatin' on STS but Pocket Legends is a piece of crap.

The PvE is a just a dps/elixir fest where you blow through npc's as fast as possible. No class is required to do anything. No strategy is needed either. PvP has gotten better with the recent nerf, but still isn't good. Not to mention it's the same old, same old, if you know what I mean. Once you've explored the levels across the board, it gets old. No one does capture the flag anymore (I tried to fix it once and failed) for whatever reason, and people doing normal pvp are just teaming or farming noobs. Or raging, but that's a rant for another time.

Now, I don't say all of this to point out how bad PL is. I'm here on the forums so obviously I play the game and still like it, but it needs improvement and that's precisely my point. So, in answer to your question, they need to do a massive revamp. They need to base stats on pvp alone. I'll say it again. They need to base stats on pvp alone. Only then should they set up PvE. PvE can work without balanced classes, but pvp cannot. Balance the classes in pvp, and PvE will be just fine. And that brings us to PvE...Stop tempting us to empty our wallets and give us strategic content that doesn't require 3x damage and armor to be successful in. (What happened to bosses like cockroach and sewer king?) I'm not expert but most people have more fun in a game that is too easy, yet makes you feel like a baws for completing it, than a game that you struggle through all the while spending money out of frustration.

Also, we are gonna want new stuff, devs. I'm not saying we should get an update every two weeks like Gw2 but something other than half priced platinum and double xp weekend would be nice. Whatever happened to the creativity like the Wild West duels in Star Legends awhile back? Come up with something crazy! Make some kind of mystery across Alterra that forces us to speak to npc's and actually get into some kind of story. People love that. If you don't have time to write any stuff like that, I'm sure there are plenty of people (ahem myself) who could help out! We want the game to succeed as much as you do. Or at least close to as much...

2. A reason be kind and help others.

Has anyone ever played farmville? Remember how every single nice thing you do in that game benefits you more than the other player? This is quite honestly a very mischievous way to create a nice community. I can remember logging into FarmVille and seeing that like 12 friends had sent me a gift. Sure, they only sent it to me because it gave them some bonus, but heck! It made me love my friends! When there are selfish reasons to be kind to others, it does wonders for mmo's and honestly promotes (quite ironically) genuine kindness.

What if there was a reputation system in game? And even one that gave vanity every certain check mark? Now, I'm not advocating this, but I'm just driving my point home. When there is a reason to be kind, it's a lot easier to do so.

One of the ways I've seen this successfully carried out in games before (and even in PL to some extent) is when an amazing drop is placed among lower level bosses. Next thing you know, high levels and low levels are playing together. I don't know about you guys, but whenever I start an mmo, I always love it when high levels are around. That's usually where I begin to learn the ropes and makes some friends. Certainly there can be issues with this (as we have seen) but it remains, nonetheless, a way to bring the community together.

I'm sure many will disagree with all that I have said thus far, but understand I'm not trying to argue. I'm just stating my opinion as I was asked to give.
    -MM

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MightyMicah For This Useful Post:

Tournament & Ladder Leader XghostzX's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,204 Posts

All I miss is the old community I was once a part of back in the sewers days. I miss all my good buddies from Unity, I miss our friendly guild wars with Revelation because PvP was balanced, I miss getting new things every now and then from STS. The company did not see PL's potential and they have, perhaps, thrown away an idea that could have made them so much more if they invested time, money, and further consideration/feedback with the community.

There is no one specific thing that needs to be changed in PL at this point if I were to get that same satisfaction I did back in 2011 - there needs to be an entire revamp. As Miracle said, this goes from PvP balance, to different modes, to PvE structure (not using elixs), to a storyline; I'd rather pay a subscription fee and be guaranteed that the content would expand and develop, only because this game has that potential. It's truly the perfect balance between easy-to-pick-up gaming with almost every basic idea of an MMORPG. Although, I think STS only intended this game to be easy-to-pick-up - if I gave the devs one goal or mission, it would be to continue working on that incredible balance between easy/fun to pick up and with a huge amount of content to offer. This is what makes STS so brilliant, let alone, PL. This is the only game in the app store where I don't have to contribute hours of time to get to a point in a game where I want to be, but to spend hours of time to just have fun and do the things that I'd like to able to do.

STS has showed some sympathy for its PL players in the past month, but it's starting to fade away. It's like they just teased us to keep us here and to stop the ranting from happening again, only for us to know that we would be let down again. Edit: I take back some of what I said in this sentence - I feel partially like this; not entirely. Otherwise I sound greedy.

I'm still here on the forums because I still have a passion for the game. I'm clinging to hope for this game - although it may be completely non-existent and irrelevant, the only reason I'm still driven to play this game at this point is because I know STS never lets down its community, regardless of a business point (once again, it's probably be an irrelevant wish). I always thought that this was their intention as game developers.
    Last edited by XghostzX; 10-08-2013 at 04:02 PM.

9. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to XghostzX For This Useful Post:

Senior Member Everyone'sFavMage's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    283 Posts

I started up right after sewer cap was released. And in my opinion the game has gone down hill from there. Nuri was ok, it was a blast. Demonic looked amazing. Pvp was pretty balanced. Mace could have been overpowered but still it was ok. Fang was getting worse. Mages overpowered bears overpowered, doing too much damage, not taking enough skill in Pvp. Also pve wise I feel like layer quality diminished with over reliance on elixirs. Then came humania. This cap as far as Pvp goes wasn't terrible, it was he, nothing like sewers but not near as bad as current cap. The current cap is absolutely terrible. This cap, made the game die IMO.

In summary to take pocket legends back to the glory days in my opinion, the sts developers would have to look at threads like this and see what the old community says. Listen to the people who have been here since the beginning. For me, as I am not a pve person And I mainly concentrate on Pvp, sewer cap was where it was at. They need to take a look at that cap, and items sets ect and see what made that so balanced. It was truly pocket legends greatest moments for Pvp. The damage nerf was a great first step in coming back, but it needs tweaking. And the invulnerable orb they introduced is absolutely pathetic. It actually makes it easier for people to spawn kill. They also need to make new forms of pvp to keep us entertained. We have gotten what, 2 new maps in the last nearly 3 years of pocket legends for Pvp? We need more. New maps, new ways to play Pvp, that's something that needs attention. Most of their revenue I'm sure comes from Pvp players. Or at least used too, Leveling as fast as possible to the cap and leveling twinks on elixirs. Rings, vanity, it's endless!
    The main point is that if sts wants to regain this game. They MUST listen to the old timers. They need to take a group of players both Pvp and pve and have them help and test beta versions of a total revamp. It needs to happen. Thanks for the thread bro, great read, and I look forward to seeing others thoughts.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Everyone'sFavMage For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    124 Posts

Based on the responses I concluded that to enjoy the game we need either:
    a) Devs take actions
    or
    b) A time machine

I personally dont care. Learn and adapt for me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    380 Posts

The sad part is is that it'll never return to how it was back when we were still new to the game, and that's fine since the game itself has grown and evolved as we have. What's not okay is that the game hasn't been growing in a positive manner lately (the past year and half or so). I feel like the main root of the problem is that the maturity and age level of the players has drastically decreased since we've been around but it can't be helped since the population boom of the game. Unfortunately It is what it is and we just have to cope with it.

-------AEO-------

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NECROREAPER For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Ehh.. mobile phones
    Last edited by Freobr; 10-08-2013 at 02:10 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

The biggest thing that is needed is attitude change by players. Nowadays for example if you offer like 1.3m for a red helm you get called a kid and an a**. I lost this weekend 7mil. In a trade that was really expensive guy didn't give me rest 6.5m and I payed accidentally 6.8m for demonic xbow set and the guy didn't want to give me 1m back because the original deal was 5.8. People are greedy, greedy, greedy. And no one truly seems to enjoy the game. I also can mention that one guy of the previous 2 was a famous forumer that has made a big guide on forums.

You people really need to think what's the point in PL. To get rich over night by scamming someone? I can't really trust any stranger in this game anymore.

The meaning of PL anyways is to farm your gold, have own goals. There's pretty much no one doing this anymore.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    438 Posts

All I do is pve all I need to be happy is more content. That doesn't mean new cap. More story line with quests and I don't mean kill anything 76 times, run me around the map give me a reason to revisit lower maps and I'll help noobs along the way by default.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Oldcoot For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

In my thoughts, really anything up to sewers was decent. I still love the game but its become more into a competition on who has more plat instead of it being about the experience. I'm aware space time studios needs to make money off it but the whole thing about purchasing potions using real money really did take away from the experience of playing the game. That's my opinion anyway.

Aldoric - I like bananas -

20. The Following User Says Thank You to aldoric For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    481 Posts

I'm not good with words but here it goes, for me Pvp is all left in PL.. All my really good friends (By real good friends, I mean a friend that doesn't just do something nice when they need something but everytime). I do really appreciate the effort sts has put to the game past few months, but in my opinion bringing PL back like back then is something really hard to change, especially like many people has mentioned above "Immaturity",many people has a smart phone or tablet nowadays, we can't really see if they are adults or just some kid hiding behind their toon trash talking or spawning. Maybe an Update MIGHT help get oldies back here, I'm just hoping sts has something they are working with in the future.

-Ex
    Judgementals, Retired Officer of Rated M.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Extreme For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    176 Posts

Pretty much I would say the only actual game attribute that caused this all was elixirs, I suggested awhile back to atleast tone back the stat increasing elxirs from 3x to just a mere 10% boost, atleast even leveling you would actually see the strengths and weaknesses of your class even if you have 4x on xp. I remember the old shadowcave runs and even the AO3 bosses. At the time during 56 cap you could join a pug and 90% of the time you would take out boss first time, now leveling through sewers with pugs is one of the hardest areas.

PvE hardly exists now, you can tank the elite red dragon with a dexbear on thrashers, farming doesn't even take teamwork any more scatterbears are rarely booted, like you used to see often
    Last edited by tHelonestud; 10-08-2013 at 07:39 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts

balance the pay players and free players by lowering the effectiveness/cost of exlixirs. Remove the XP anywhere elixir.

New content, lots of it in short periods. People will get excited again, new players will join and dont make contests like Cap in 4 days type, which only encourage elixir spending and selfishness. Players who are excited and exploring new levels at the same time wont nearly be as rude, etc. to each other.

Also, hire some people to patrol the CS and towns for scammers and instantly suspend accounts of those scamming people
    EdtheEagle - Lvl 76 bird a.k.a. "Yeti fodder".
    Curiositee - Lvl 76 mage a.k.a. farmer alt
    Edthe Rhino - Lvl 76 Rhino / Gold Mule ha ha

Guardian of Alterra CrimsonTider's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chopper View Post

Also, hire some people to patrol the CS and towns for scammers and instantly suspend accounts of those scamming people

Exactly. The thing is, if they would take some reports more seriously, we would be rid of those who truly cause problems and scare those who try to immitate it. I understamd there are a lot of "false" reports out there, but when I spend 30 minutes takng pictures, gathering info, and sending a detailed report only to see that person again over the next few weeks, it's disheartening.

Gotta find a better, more efficient way to "take out the trash."
    CrimsonTider::Astuteness::Crim::CrimzonTider::IBec kon::Houndstooth
    WreckzNEffect::Intuitive::Kinesiology::Crimagical: :Killtastrophe::SsgtSlaughter::Transfixion
    Arrownaut::Crimtacular::Funkdified::CrimJr

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    738 Posts

Hmmm what would it take to get it back to the glory days? Honestly? Not much. Getting rid of all the crap that, in my opinion ruined the game (but made tons of money for STS):

1. thrasher pwnage punch (all the elixirs really, but this one most of all)
    2. xp anywhere elixir
    3. turnstile dungeons

unfortunately, like Crim mentioned, the best part of this game was the community. Unfortunately, that aspect is all but gone now. When I log in, my friend list is mostly all offline. I do see some still on, and kudos to them for grinding it out.

Just in case there is a resurgence, I do still have my toons and enough gold to equip them. We'll see if it ever happens. On the bright side, maybe PL is reaching the end of its days as a cash machine. Its possible that STS will make some changes that can bring back all that was good prior to BS.
    Last edited by Rare; 10-08-2013 at 08:32 AM.

AL: Rare (Rogue)/Common (Warrior)/Mythic (Sorcerer)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    311 Posts

Default In your opinion, what would it take to get PL back to it's glory days?

It's nice to see a bunch of people making highly detailed posts that aren't meant to attack someone.

On Topic: I agree with Crim's post on the fact that the intelligible and nicer part of the community is fading and there isn't a way to completely change that.

Back then PL was a mysterious game with much to explore and more knowledge to be gained. That sense of learning made players try to seek intelligence from other people in hopes that they have found a way, but now people aren't acting as intelligible as they used to because of the simplicity of the current game. Any player can jump into PvE with just about any build and completely dominate his way up to level 50 where they might need to rethink some strategies. Back in 2010-11, I struggled my way making gold and leveling up because of need for potions and the GIANT (compared to now) xp requirement to level up before 50.

I feel as if the challenge has been lost with the xp nerf, daily elixirs, and regular elixirs, and if there was a way the STS could undo all those pieces which ruined the PvE and , in some cases, the PvP experience, then I think the game could make it longer without a cap. If the sewers cap was this long, then I wouldn't be done.

Just an opinion. I might have come across in a different way than intended at some parts.

My list of things to do:

1. Make elixirs get removed once you die
    2. Increase the xp requirements to level up between 1-65

Visit my Youtube Channel! Here--> Terrainrob's Videos of Everything

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    530 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NECROREAPER View Post
    The sad part is is that it'll never return to how it was back when we were still new to the game, and that's fine since the game itself has grown and evolved as we have. What's not okay is that the game hasn't been growing in a positive manner lately (the past year and half or so). I feel like the main root of the problem is that the maturity and age level of the players has drastically decreased since we've been around but it can't be helped since the population boom of the game. Unfortunately It is what it is and we just have to cope with it.
    I think you pretty much nailed but, but I would also submit to you that there is a reason the immature crowd is growing and the mature crowd is dying. Certain types of games attract certain types of players. You know?