Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fixing CTF: A PL Perspective

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Default Fixing CTF: A PL Perspective

Hello,

As the title of the thread states, I am sure that many players that do CTF realize how broken CTF actually is. In AL, what is CTF?

AL CTF: CTF in this game has the following outcomes:
    • 5v5 situations with nobody actually making the flag a goal.
    • Using the spawn areas to 1v1
    • Locking matches so opposing teammates may rack up flags for achievement points.

However, what is the actual definition of CTF? Well, it involves capturing the opponent's flag and bringing it safely back to your flag zone, effectively scoring. In the process, one will have to fight off the opposing team.

Now, to those interested in seeing what an actual CTF game constitutes of in PL, watch the following video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvjEwJQ0cBs
    P.S: Excuse the lag on the phone, it isn't my recording.

If you noticed in the video, team members WAIT until each team is even with players, and then actually play capture the flag. One has to get past the opposing team, get the flag, then get back to their own flag to score. Of course, your team supports you and offers back-up when needed.

So, how do we actually fix this?
    • In PL, there were specific tournament & ladder leaders, myself included, that would have the ability to make tournaments and then get developer support for prizes. These prizes typically included platinum and special vanity items signifying the winners of a developer supported tournament. With enough support, I promise, I will regulate a tournament to the best of my abilities and try to get the same thing started in AL which PL regularly benefits from.

• It all starts with each and every person. So, the major guilds in AL, I would encourage you to convince your guild members to start actively forming CTF games to play! In PL, this CTF trend started with the top 2-3 PvP guilds constantly challenging each other. I think, that if we get the same thing started here, it would be great!

• Creating a smaller map with only 1 spawn location. Why? The multiple spawn locations completely break apart the ability to regroup without effective use of the mini-map. Doing this will help teammates regroup and defend/attack/strategize in order to win the game. (This one is for you, developers!)

In the meantime, judging by the comments and popularity this thread gets, I will use it as a measure wether or not to create an actual CTF tournament. Think about it... this could be the chance where guilds finally can compete against each other to see the who's the top dog in PvP!

P.S: Wouldn't it be cool if like in other ____ Legend title games, players would receive special rewards and platinum for winning? I'm pretty sure, like in PL, it helped to bring together the PvP community & rile up the need to get better! I'm sure many people would love to show off their cool new CTF banner & associated vanity set.
    Last edited by Zeus; 10-16-2013 at 07:58 PM.
    Click My Signature to Check Out My YouTube Channel.
    Warning: Any Beggars Will Be Put On Ignore List

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Zeus For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    93 Posts

Agreed. I definetly can relate to actively starting guild ctf games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    568 Posts

Hehe.. I can already tell which guilds will be constantly challenging each other
    Ebezaanec|Ebezairec|Ebezcookie|Trisomy|Apothem

Following the Code

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Argyros View Post
    I forgot to mention that in PL, platinum rewards would be 500+ platinum for first place and halving for each place after that. I'm pretty sure that players would love platinum gifted like that.

Also, on top of the platinum, special tournament exclusive vanities would be given.
    Last edited by Zeus; 10-16-2013 at 08:11 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts

Is it possible to get tournaments running every two weeks? The more continuity, the more impact this will have on day-to-day CTF - which is my primary concern for the casual gamers. If there is only one tournament every month or two months, this idea would fix CTF temporarily in small quantities. Either way, I can see this bringing the community together, especially if the ladders/rules are moderated well.

I also agree with the issue of having two respawn areas. Never really understood the purpose of that other than to prevent spawn camping. Like Apollo said, it makes regrouping a tedious task.

You got my support on this!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    93 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
    I forgot to mention that in PL, platinum rewards would be 500+ platinum for first place and halving for each place after that. I'm pretty sure that players would love platinum gifted like that.

Also, on top of the platinum, special tournament exclusive vanities would be given.
    I know alot of players who hope to someday be good enough to compete for those vanities. The thing is, those tournament are very very rare nowadays. It's great that you want to hopefully create a new one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

I know alot of players who hope to someday be good enough to compete for those vanities. The thing is, those tournament are very very rare nowadays. It's great that you want to hopefully create a new one.
    Arg, one thing... you realize this is AL discussion, right? Only reason why I'm saying that is because I rarely see you venture into the AL side of forums.

I do realize that developer support for PL tournaments is a little rare these days, but I doubt that it would be so rare in AL, considering the amount of people that STS has the opportunity to get interested in CTF with. Also, with new players wanting to get involved into CTF, they'll crave the gear the pros are wearing are perhaps starting popping open lockeds or save up to get it.

@Taejo
    The only thing about it running every 2 weeks is that I doubt developers will want to continuously hand out platinum every 2 weeks. Unless, of course, I got a tournament fund running, but in AL, gold can be pretty hard to come by.
    Last edited by Zeus; 10-16-2013 at 09:35 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts

I wouldn't expect STS to hand out platinum that often. There could be different types of tournaments with respective prizes: gold, VIP elixirs, platinum, special vanity/banners (they would have to create) or maybe a new leaderboard for bragging rights. Plenty of room for creativity.

There's enough gold out there, it just depends on 1) how collaborative this community actually is and 2) who's willing to sacrifice their precious gold to have some fun.

I'm just saying that in order for tournaments to be a solution for those who want to play a real game of CTF, they would have to be often. I think teams would end up practicing on a day to day basis if the intervals were shorter than 1-2 months, directly impacting day to day PvP as a whole. Otherwise, there needs to be another solution to fix that issue.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Taejo View Post
    I wouldn't expect STS to hand out platinum that often. There could be different types of tournaments with respective prizes: gold, VIP elixirs, platinum, special vanity/banners (they would have to create). Plenty of room for creativity.

There's enough gold out there, it just depends on 1) how collaborative this community actually is and 2) who's willing to sacrifice their precious gold to have some fun.

I'm just saying that in order for tournaments to be a solution for those who want to play a real game of CTF, they would have to be often. I think teams would end up practicing on a day to day basis if the intervals were shorter than 1-2 months, directly impacting day to day PvP as a whole. Otherwise, there needs to be another solution to fix that issue.
    Ah, I see.

In that case, I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult for STG to create a vanity set including a banner strictly related to PvP and then give out pieces of the vanity set? That way, even those who won previous tournaments could work towards obtaining the full set.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    113 Posts

OMG worst time to be out of thanks.. I'll get you back.
    This is awesome and I love the idea of 1 spawn zone.
    Sig cred: Beelzeebob
    End Game Rogue Get-N-Paid
    Chances are I've probably killed you.
    Watch me on youtube : ) http://is.gd/YiK25Y

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by iluvataris View Post
    OMG worst time to be out of thanks.. I'll get you back.
    This is awesome and I love the idea of 1 spawn zone.
    Thanks Ataris!

I really didn't understand why they put a multi-spawn zone... it just comes at the cost of player's gaming experience. Sure, there's going to be players that take advantage of a 1 spawn zone, but there's also going to be many players who prefer it more because it makes it that much easier to regroup.

Luminary Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    584 Posts

I remember in the beginning of AL PvP, how I used to run likeabaws style with epics and charge hooks users - and really CAPTURE THE FLAG. Me and a friend used to guard the flag base, whenever we played together - the opposite team would have to get to us first!

Now CTF is essentially TDM...id love if CTF became CTF once more!

I'm supporting you on this idea, Apollo. My guild seems to have something cooking up about a real CTF match...if more guilds took up this idea it would be great!

Tourneys seem fun too. Id donate a lot for a legendary set tourney!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alhuntrazeck For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    259 Posts

Its rare to see an actual capture the flag, mostly i see is Came to Fight/Flag.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cero For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cero View Post
    Its rare to see an actual capture the flag, mostly i see is Came to Fight/Flag.
    Haha, yes, but I'm sure players would take interest if there was rewards involved.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    113 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
    Haha, yes, but I'm sure players would take interest if there was rewards involved.
    that and also get some good ol competition going again, seems like most everyone's on the idea of join the team with the most players overwhelm the enemy : /

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by iluvataris View Post
    that and also get some good ol competition going again, seems like most everyone's on the idea of join the team with the most players overwhelm the enemy : /
    I wonder who got that idea set into place. .-.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    113 Posts

I don't know.. Maybe alphawolf and maneater?
    Seems like it got really bad beginning of season 4

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts

Thanks for this guys. I might actually play CTF if there were some sort of structure to it. Right now the way it is all I do is farm deaths

<Elite Runners>

IGNs: Alrisaia | Alrisio | Gallinar
    Guides: Glossary of Terms | Twisting Ribbit | The Blender

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    400 Posts

Yes. i agree. PVP nowdays is combat without combat. If You aren't veery weeelll geared You will only gain kills to those better geared than You, if someone thinks otherway, i will Send him to the thread with glavie proc (there, Falmear added a comic, it says everything). If it would be really combat like i saw on that film, it could be neat Baah, veery neat! It would bring me to play more in pvp.
    Last edited by Deadroth; 10-17-2013 at 12:15 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts

Count Judgement in!

If we have a tournament, will it be several days long or all matches done in one day?

Also, no Arcane/Too much of one class could make the matches more interesting and based on skill. Just some things to keep in mind.

Thanks for the post Apollo. Hopefully there will be enough guilds willing to participate and make ctf what it should be. :-)