Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CTF Tournament Rules FAQ/Feedback

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts

Exclamation CTF Tournament Rules FAQ/Feedback

As requested by Apollo, I am creating this thread to act as an FAQ/Feedback medium for the upcoming tournament rules. Here, some of the common questions will be answered in order to alleviate any misinterpretation or confusion by participants. Although most of the rules for the upcoming tournament have been finalized, some players may find a rule to be controversial in which it can be discussed here. I'd like to remind everyone to keep any discussions respectful and appropriate. Lastly, this FAQ/Feedback does not include the entire layout of the tournament rules. Please review the rules here (link) prior to reading this thread. Thank you.

1. What kind of tournament is this?

This tournament is a bracket style, single elimination CTF tournament. Each bracket match will consist of two teams made up of 5 players, who will compete against each other in a game of CTF.

2. How do I sign up and register a team for the tournament?

A forum account is needed to register your team for the tournament and must be done by the team captain. The team captain must be specified by posting on the forum thread (link). Team captains must post the following information regarding their team members: Name, Class, Weapon and Pet. No team is made official until registering. Team captains will register their teams through the following link: Registration (link)

Instructions for team captains:
    1. Click the above registration link to navigate to the official tournament page.
    2. Once there, click the drop-down box labeled "New" in the upper, right-hand corner of the screen directly above "Tournament Details".
    3. Click "New Team".
    4. Fill out the applicable fields: Team name and short team name description (enter names, classes, weapons and pets).

3. Who enforces the rules of each match and how do we report any infractions?

Each team has acknowledged that they have read and understand the rules of the tournament upon registering. The honor system is therefore imposed and each team is responsible for upholding the rules of the tournament. Any infractions sighted by either team are to be backed up by substantial evidence and sent to the tournament officials (Apollo, Delphina and Taejo). Without supporting evidence, the tournament officials will not be able to make a ruling decision. Everyone is expected to play the game fairly, honestly and in a mature manner. There is zero tolerance for any foul play or immaturity (to include derogatory trash talking) during this tournament!

4. Can you explain how teams are to be set up (i.e. classes, arcane weapons, and pets)?

Setting up your team properly is an important part of the tournament registration process. Here's an example:

1. Apollo (rogue), Razorbacks, Glacian (arcane pet #1)
    2. Taejo (warrior), Maul, Slag
    3. Delphina (sorcerer), Orbital Staff, Samael (arcane pet #2)
    4. Samhayne (rogue), Entangled Bow, Hammerjaw (arcane pet #3)
    5. Joe (sorcerer), Mythic Gun, Grimm

Red = 1 arcane weapon per team (user must not equip an arcane pet)
    Orange = 3 stun/terrify/panic pets (arcane ability only) per team
    The other colors = no more than 2 of the same class per team

5. Can gear or pets be changed once the tournament has begun?

No. It is very important that each team carefully plans and maps out their equipment and pets prior to the tournament starting. Changes can only be made prior to the tournament start date with approval by Apollo, Delphina or Taejo.

6. What do I do if my pet becomes hungry during the match? Can I switch to another pet?

No. You must feed your pet, so plan accordingly by carrying enough gold for a few feedings.

7. Can any player act a substitute for one team but also be a primary member of another?

No. Players may only be part of one team, whether they are a substitute player or primary member. This includes any character on that person's account! Additionally, once a team is registered, no changes may be made to any team rosters unless approved by Apollo.

8. Can a player use both an arcane weapon and an arcane pet?

No.

9. What is considered a "stun pet"?

A stun pet is any pet whose arcane ability has either: stun, terrify or panic. Examples: George, Clyde, Slag, Samael. Any pet whose passive ability has a stun element in it is not considered a stun pet. Example: Deary, Rocky, Hammerjaw. Vixen is not considered a stun pet.

10. Do arcane pets count towards the number of allowed stun pets?

Yes! Any pet whose arcane ability can stun a target, whether they are rare, epic, legendary, mythic or arcane, is considered a stun pet. A maximum of three stun pets are allowed per team. Likewise, a maximum of three arcane pets are allowed per team.

11. How do we plan our bracket matches with the other team?

Coordinate with them either in-game or via the forums. The best way to coordinate matches is for each team's captain to first collaborate with their team, figure out a date/time, and then collaborate with the other team's captain. Additionally, on the day of the match, there must be a screenshot of both teams acknowledging the match to begin. This screenshot must be posted on the tournament thread or sent via private message (forum) to Apollo, Delphina or Taejo.

12. Do we get to pick what color team we're on (i.e. red or blue)?

Yes. Coordinate this via team captain to team captain prior to match start.

13. How do we report the outcome of a match?

The final score must be captured and posted on both the tournament thread as well as private messaged (forum) to Apollo, Delphina or Taejo.

14. Can matches be recorded via video applications, etc.?

Yes! In fact we highly encourage anyone to use this to their advantage, as long as it doesn't interfere with anyone's game play. With that being said, lag or framerate loss due to running these types of apps in the background are not a valid excuse for losing a match, etc.

15. How long will the tournament take to complete?

There are four total rounds: Round 1, Quarter-Finals, Semi-Finals and the Final match. Each team must coordinate and complete each round within seven (7) days - this includes reporting the outcome of the match! However, if all teams report their matches to be over prior to 7 days, the tournament can progress into the next round. The entire tournament, if week-long intervals are used, has a maximum length of 1 month.

16. Will there be any prizes for the winners/participants of this contest?

(As of 21 Oct) This is currently in-work, and there is no definite answer at this time (i.e., no banner available). We hope to coordinate with STS developers to issue out some platinum as a reward, and possibly an exclusive banner to the winners of the tournament. We are also working on setting up a design contest for the banner graphics as well. If this tournament runs smoothly and rewards remain a viable option, we plan to host many more in the near future! The main objective is to have fun with some good old, legitimate capture the flag!

Please feel free to post any additional questions, comments or concerns regarding the tournament rules. This will also be the appropriate place to discuss any issues that may arise during the tournament, as well as provide the means for feedback once the tournament has concluded.

** Please do not quote this entire post when making any type of response. Thank you! **
    Last edited by Taejo; 10-23-2013 at 12:30 PM.
    Geunin / Cheonje
    Proud Member of <Elite Runners>

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Taejo For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts

21 October update: Tournament bracket is back up and running!
    21 October update: Added information about Vixen in stun pet question.
    21 October update: Updated tournament type to single elimination.
    22 October update: Tournament ladder is finally filled and the tournament can now begin!
    23 October update: Added question #15 regarding tournament length.
    Last edited by Taejo; 10-23-2013 at 12:31 PM.
    Geunin / Cheonje

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Taejo For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts

There is an error. I cannot go access the link.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Instanthumor View Post
    There is an error. I cannot go access the link.
    Fixed. Thank you.
    Geunin / Cheonje

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Taejo For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    75 Posts

My suggestion: Design a black or dark banner.. Would be really amazing to sport one of those XD

AL IGNs: Venom, Poison, Elite, Kill, Dude, Hawk, Jerk, Legend
    OaC Android AF IGNs: -Venom-, -Carnage-, -Dude-

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    411 Posts

I suggest top 2 or 3 teams get banner - One different color for the first

how about a vanity crown HAHA - untradable jk

Don't waste my time, don't waste yours

Luminary Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    584 Posts

I suggest NO BANNER. Plat awards are fine, but for a tourney with like 5 teams what's the point of having exclusive banners? You'll see like 5 people in Arlor with those!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alhuntrazeck View Post
    I suggest NO BANNER. Plat awards are fine, but for a tourney with like 5 teams what's the point of having exclusive banners? You'll see like 5 people in Arlor with those!
    There's 8 teams in a double elimination which is a lot. That's over 40 players, meaning quite a decent turnout. So, I think the banner reward is fine.
    Last edited by Zeus; 10-21-2013 at 12:09 PM.
    Click My Signature to Check Out My YouTube Channel.
    Warning: Any Beggars Will Be Put On Ignore List

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    400 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
    There's 8 teams in a double elimination which is a lot. That's over 40 players, meaning quite a decent turnout. So, I think the banner reward is fine.
    But it is still only 40 persons from 40000 players.. And only 15 or 5 would recive banner? I like this idea, BUT there is one design competition alrdy, and If this competition would get 100 players, there could be a method in giving banner to best of them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Deadroth View Post
    But it is still only 40 persons from 40000 players.. And only 15 or 5 would recive banner? I like this idea, BUT there is one design competition alrdy, and If this competition would get 100 players, there could be a method in giving banner to best of them.
    40k players? I'm looking at the teams and so far, they contain some of the top PvPers. This tournament will be fierce. Also, the point of the banners IS to be exclusive. That's just how it is. It gives something for people to crave and work towards in the game.

The only people seeming to complain about this is the ones who aren't in the tourney & non-mythics players. Keep in mind that I do have a tournament in mind for non-mythic players as well, so I am not trying to leave anyone out. Of course, that will only happen if this one goes well.

P.S: Ig we want to be exact, a total of 64 players max will be able to compete. Now, that is A BUNCH of players for a CTF tournament. I wouldn't call this a small tournament by any means.
    Last edited by Zeus; 10-21-2013 at 12:09 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    400 Posts

40k players? I'm looking at the teams and so far, they contain some of the top PvPers. This tournament will be fierce. Also, the point of the banners IS to be exclusive. That's just how it is. It gives something for people to crave and work towards in the game.

The only people seeming to complain about this is the ones who aren't in the tourney & non-mythics players. Keep in mind that I do have a tournament in mind for non-mythic players as well, so I am not trying to leave anyone out. Of course, that will only happen if this one goes well.

Ofc Apollo, but i don't had any of bad intentions towards Your person in my previous post I think the plat rewards are enough for competition like this, and (please tbh, many players have enough of banners...) If there would be 'vanity' reward for that contest, lets make animated banner.. Like spinning skulls around player, or something like that.

As i said above, i only wanted to say, banners are quite 'retro' things now, i am talking bout those 'non-animated'. And i think You do great job by hosting, and spending Your time on preparations. GJ, but i still think the 'non animated banner' is bad idea. And belive me, i know what i am saying.

The banner competition won't please all of players.. Remember this timed banner contest? 1/5 of players thought banners are.. quite wierdo... So to avoid situations like that, I suggest to award plat, not banners.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Ofc Apollo, but i don't had any of bad intentions towards Your person in my previous post I think the plat rewards are enough for competition like this, and (please tbh, many players have enough of banners...) If there would be 'vanity' reward for that contest, lets make animated banner.. Like spinning skulls around player, or something like that.

As i said above, i only wanted to say, banners are quite 'retro' things now, i am talking bout those 'non-animated'. And i think You do great job by hosting, and spending Your time on preparations. GJ, but i still think the 'non animated banner' is bad idea. And belive me, i know what i am saying.

The banner competition won't please all of players.. Remember this timed banner contest? 1/5 of players thought banners are.. quite wierdo... So to avoid situations like that, I suggest to award plat, not banners.
    Respectfully, I do not see anyone who is in the tournament complaining about the banner prize. In fact, some are actually excited about the chance of obtaining it! Wether people thought the timed run banner looked weird then is no matter, because now, it's a rare banner that some people would like.

So, I think like in previous developer sponsored tournaments... this reward system should work fine. It's rewards, what is there to complain about for getting something for free?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    400 Posts

Respectfully, I do not see anyone who is in the tournament complaining about the banner prize. In fact, some are actually excited about the chance of obtaining it! Wether people thought the timed run banner looked weird then is no matter, because now, it's a rare banner that some people would like.

So, I think like in previous developer sponsored tournaments... this reward system should work fine. It's rewards, what is there to complain about for getting something for free?
    Oh. So You are saying for getting banner to ALL of players who parcipate the tournament? If so... This could be not so bad idea, if everyone who took part, got something. If only for winners, i still disagree wid next banners..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Oh. So You are saying for getting banner to ALL of players who parcipate the tournament? If so... This could be not so bad idea, if everyone who took part, got something. If only for winners, i still disagree wid next banners..
    Why...? Can you explain your reasoning behind this because it makes no sense to me. Honestly, complaining about prizes will just get the prizes ruined for everyone. Consider playing in the tournament for fun. If you get the banner, cool! If not, you at least had some fun, right?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    400 Posts

Why...? Can you explain your reasoning behind this because it makes no sense to me. Honestly, complaining about prizes will just get the prizes ruined for everyone. Consider playing in the tournament for fun. If you get the banner, cool! If not, you at least had some fun, right?
    And dramas with 'he shot me while i was standin' or really increased d ratio As You said, this is tournament for fun, so i don't see purpose on making contests (with rewards for designer), to improve contest (with rewards from ideas of previous one). Main point of that is 'fun' am i right? Not banners. Ofc You are host, and You can do something like that, but i suppose it is pointless in some ways. But that is only mine opinion. You don't have to agree with it
    Last edited by Deadroth; 10-21-2013 at 12:32 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

And dramas with 'he shot me while i was standin' or really increased d ratio As You said, this is tournament for fun, so i don't see purpose on making contests (with rewards for designer), to improve contest (with rewards from ideas of previous one). Main point of that is 'fun' am i right? Not banners. Ofc You are host, and You can do something like that, but i suppose it is pointless in some ways. But that is only mine opinion. You don't have to agree with it
    Death, prizes are meant to be a reward. Yes, the tournament is for fun. It gives players something to do. If you win, cool! The winner gets some awesome goodies.

Also, it seems that you're making these assumptions without reading the rules of the tournament. If you read the rules, you can see that they are quite complex and cover many instances of cheating.

The prizes will stay. Those that win deserve those banners and if I can help it, I will not let anyone take that moment away from them. To ask that is quite selfish, Deadroth. :/

I'm sorry, I hope you understand why there's prizes set into place for tournaments. In the Olympics, they do not just hand out medals to everyone, do they?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    400 Posts

Death, prizes are meant to be a reward. Yes, the tournament is for fun. It gives players something to do. If you win, cool! The winner gets some awesome goodies.

Also, it seems that you're making these assumptions without reading the rules of the tournament. If you read the rules, you can see that they are quite complex and cover many instances of cheating.

The prizes will stay. Those that win deserve those banners and if I can help it, I will not let anyone take that moment away from them. To ask that is quite selfish, Deadroth. :/

I'm sorry, I hope you understand why there's prizes set into place for tournaments. In the Olympics, they do not just hand out medals to everyone, do they?
    But this is not an olympic my dear Apollo ;/, if i am too selfish, i apologize, but as i said, it is mine opinion, and it don't obligate everyone to agree with it I think Making another design-banner competition is pointless, and it takes too much time. Ofc it is tournament under Your foot, and You will do what You think it is good, i am only saying. And i understand prices are important.. But making contest.. maybe even bigger in its range to suppourt another, is too consuming, be honest...

Last edited by Deadroth; 10-21-2013 at 12:44 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

But this is not an olympic my dear Apollo ;/, if i am too selfish, i apologize, but as i said, it is mine opinion, and it don't obligate everyone to agree with it I think Making another design-banner competition is pointless, and it takes too much time.

Tournaments are meant both for friendly competition, fun, & prizes. For some players, they'd like the plat. For others, an exclusive item is what they're shooting for. So, the metaphor for the Olympics does apply.

The thing is though... opinions like this have the chance to ruin it for those who are actually competing and have invested time and millions of gold into the tournament. I know players who have bought mythic daggers at ridiculous prices just for this tournament. It would not be fair to them at all.
    Last edited by Zeus; 10-21-2013 at 12:46 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    400 Posts

Deadroth,

The thing is though... opinions like this have the chance to ruin it for those who are actually competing and have invested time and millions of gold into the tournament. I know players who have bought mythic daggers at ridiculous prices just for this tournament. It would not be fair to them at all.
    Ok, im waiting to see the next design competition soon (Buzzzz.. Why i said it is pointless.. i can win plat.. ) I will get my hat off if it will really start.

PS. I think i can't say too much here lmao

Deadroth,

Tournaments are meant both for friendly competition, fun, & prizes. For some players, they'd like the plat. For others, an exclusive item is what they're shooting for. So, the metaphor for the Olympics does apply.

I see. So the banners are very valuable to some of players? I thought, they only takes the space in UI XD Tho maybe i didn't get any 'valuable' one. Anyway.. It would be cool to wear piece designed by myself. I have read also the second thread bout tournament, and If Samhayne told there will be 'exqluziw' XD banner to winners.. I drolled.. This means, that competition have rank of 'fastest timed event' from last few months?
    Last edited by Deadroth; 10-21-2013 at 01:00 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Ok so I will give my personal input into the banners....

I think that they are a fabulous idea. Me and everyone I have spoken to are excited at the prospect of obtaining a rare banner (not for one moment do I think I will win it mind you), plat IMO is not why we are entering.

I have NEVER been involved in anything like this and I'm extremely excited to be a part of it. There are plenty of high end players and I think if we can generate enough interest with this initial tournament then other great ones will follow. Imagine if the tournament grew to 100+ players. Imagine if a pvp league was started from this (I know I'm probably being a bit unrealistic there). The possibilities are endless. But I think the main point here is that banners or items of rarity are also what entice players in. Doesn't mean we aren't doing it for the fun factor, but it does mean that we get a nice shiny 'trophy' at the end. Just like any other competition I think it is essential.

I can see your worry about others being left out dead, but if Apollo has a non myth tournament planned from this, that will mean a much wider spectrum of player that can be included. Ultimately though it is up to the player to get involved.

It's really no different than leaderboard times and pvp..... You still have to put the effort in.

Ign: Ice / Scar ~ Guild <Karma>