Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CTF Tournament Rules FAQ/Feedback

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    400 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Joncheese View Post
    Ok so I will give my personal input into the banners....

I think that they are a fabulous idea. Me and everyone I have spoken to are excited at the prospect of obtaining a rare banner (not for one moment do I think I will win it mind you), plat IMO is not why we are entering.

I have NEVER been involved in anything like this and I'm extremely excited to be a part of it. There are plenty of high end players and I think if we can generate enough interest with this initial tournament then other great ones will follow. Imagine if the tournament grew to 100+ players. Imagine if a pvp league was started from this (I know I'm probably being a bit unrealistic there). The possibilities are endless. But I think the main point here is that banners or items of rarity are also what entice players in. Doesn't mean we aren't doing it for the fun factor, but it does mean that we get a nice shiny 'trophy' at the end. Just like any other competition I think it is essential.

I can see your worry about others being left out dead, but if Apollo has a non myth tournament planned from this, that will mean a much wider spectrum of player that can be included. Ultimately though it is up to the player to get involved.

It's really no different than leaderboard times and pvp..... You still have to put the effort in.
    I always love Your peacefull and wise posts bestfriend. They are like glass of cold water. Yes. I was afraid about those who are behind, but i realized, that taking part in such 'elite' tournament is enough reward am i right ? Who knows.. Maybe Apollo will do also ' only-legendary' one Ofc If that competition will start, You have one entry alrdy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts

Hi Deadroth, thanks for your feedback on the banners. This is exactly why this very thread exists Please note that my response is directed at anyone reading this, not just yourself.

Banners are the perfect reward mechanism in this game, and I do believe that is why STS implemented them in the first place. At the moment, there are 3 categories of banners: 1) Generic banners that anyone can buy, 2) Limited time banners that happen every once in a blue moon (e.g. Best Banner Ever and Timed Run Contest) and 3) Leaderboard banners which reward those who are "best of the best" (in theory ). I would wager to bet that a very small amount of people have collected the majority of these banners or even stand a chance at doing so. The fact of the matter stands, if you miss out on any of category 2 or 3's banners, you can never collect them later. The population of people who actually try to get on the LB is not very big when compared to the overall population, and we don't expect the population of players interested in our contests to be very big at the start. Maybe when people hear about it and see the banners in town, they will be more compelled to enter the next tournament.

Our banners for this tournament would best fit into category 2. STS has already pioneered exclusive contest banners in the past (Timed Run Contest). That contest wasn't exactly fair for the entire population of players and yet participants who placed on the LB still received a very nice looking, exclusive banner (plus a random chance at a mythic ring). This tournament is no different from that concept, except only one set of banners will be handed out (and no random mythic ring). As I said, we plan to host these tournaments regularly and tailor each one's rules to better fit the community (i.e. have everyone wear legendary gear or disallow arcanes, etc.) so that everyone has a fair chance. This first contest is focused on the end-game PvPers so we can get some solid feedback on mythic gear and arcane weapons/pets and how they effect CTF overall in a tournament.

To summarize this: The AL community needs to realize that banners are just pixellated representation of personal accomplishments - nothing else! They do not grant any bonuses. Avid banner collectors need to get over the fact that not every banner is obtainable, especially in a game with as much competitiveness as AL. Lastly, if anyone would like a chance to win a banners, SIGN UP!
    Geunin / Cheonje
    Proud Member of <Elite Runners>

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Taejo For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    400 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Taejo View Post
    Hi Deadroth, thanks for your feedback on the banners. This is exactly why this very thread exists Please note that my response is directed at anyone reading this, not just yourself.

Banners are the perfect reward mechanism in this game, and I do believe that is why STS implemented them in the first place. At the moment, there are 3 categories of banners: 1) Generic banners that anyone can buy, 2) Limited time banners that happen every once in a blue moon (e.g. Best Banner Ever and Timed Run Contest) and 3) Leaderboard banners which reward those who are "best of the best" (in theory ). I would wager to bet that a very small amount of people have collected the majority of these banners or even stand a chance at doing so. The fact of the matter stands, if you miss out on any of category 2 or 3's banners, you can never collect them later. The population of people who actually try to get on the LB is not very big when compared to the overall population, and we don't expect the population of players interested in our contests to be very big at the start. Maybe when people hear about it and see the banners in town, they will be more compelled to enter the next tournament.

Our banners for this tournament would best fit into category 2. STS has already pioneered exclusive contest banners in the past (Timed Run Contest). That contest wasn't exactly fair for the entire population of players and yet participants who placed on the LB still received a very nice looking, exclusive banner (plus a random chance at a mythic ring). This tournament is no different from that concept, except only one set of banners will be handed out (and no random mythic ring). As I said, we plan to host these tournaments regularly and tailor each one's rules to better fit the community (i.e. have everyone wear legendary gear or disallow arcanes, etc.) so that everyone has a fair chance. This first contest is focused on the end-game PvPers so we can get some solid feedback on mythic gear and arcane weapons/pets and how they effect CTF overall in a tournament.

To summarize this: The AL community needs to realize that banners are just pixellated representation of personal accomplishments - nothing else! They do not grant any bonuses. Avid banner collectors need to get over the fact that not every banner is obtainable, especially in a game with as much competitiveness as AL. Lastly, if anyone would like a chance to win a banners, SIGN UP!
    I have no questions. I agree. If deeply thought.. This design competitions starts to have sense. So You aren't only making 'fight for elites' but also You change the common perception about that, banners can be usefull in some ways. Idk that would success but i wish You best
    Last edited by Deadroth; 10-21-2013 at 01:31 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    259 Posts

Just wanna ask about the subs.
    their mainly part of the team who may not be ablr to play for they're just subs, so does this 40banner count missed to count the subs?

Also im just guessing that the subs will get banners even if they ddnt play.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cero View Post
    Just wanna ask about the subs.
    their mainly part of the team who may not be ablr to play for they're just subs, so does this 40banner count missed to count the subs?

Also im just guessing that the subs will get banners even if they ddnt play.
    Hi Cero. Before everyone gets too worked up about banners, I need to reiterate what the FAQ states: there has not been any decision made by STS yet regarding banners - we are simply pitching the idea to them to make the tournament more interesting. I apologize if we have created too much hype surrounding the possibility of banners, and hope that no one is participating solely for the chance of winning one. The truth of the matter is they might not even exist if STS decides against adding them as an available reward. With that being said, I or Apollo will let everyone know what STS's decision is regarding the banners as a reward.

Platinum is still being discussed, but will most likely be an available reward!
    Geunin / Cheonje

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    411 Posts

I didn't really read much of the banner discussion
    tournament like the times run tournament that sts hosted is similar to this
    If you didn't have any mythic gear or arcane pets to help with the time or plats to buy elixirs with then
    You're tech no match against people who does.
    This tournament is available for everyone and number of teams participating can be increased to 16 teams or more (16x8 ) if they're enough players
    The only difference I really see is that .. Not everyone can join or try unlike timed runs for crypts (in which we all know lvl 15 can beat)
    But 90% of the timed runs were end game times (elites) just like this is- but then again it's people's choice to do twinks.. Not sts so if they wanted to join this tourny then do end game .. As for this tourny .. I don't think Apollo is really saying you can't join if you have no mythic .. I think u may wanna reword that Apollo . If they have legendary let them
    Join but don't blame Apollo or any organizers if you get ur butt kicked by full mythics arcane players

The only reason why Apollo and them said NON mythics aren't allowed , not to limit players but to have a more
    Fair play for people who join. Other wise you'll see a bunch of legendary players complaining that mythics shouldn't be allowed.

He already said , if this tourny goes well .. Which we all hope it
    Does.. He will run a non mythic people only .. Which id assume with similar prize
    Join if you want just don't be surprise
    To feel the huge difference having no myth against full myth

I'm on my
    Phone so maybe much of spelling grammar error but you get what I mean I hope
    Last edited by inkredible; 10-21-2013 at 03:35 PM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to inkredible For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by inkredble View Post
    I didn't really read much of the banner discussion
    tournament like the times run tournament that sts hosted is similar to this
    If you didn't have any mythic gear or arcane pets to help with the time or plats to buy elixirs with then
    You're tech no match against people who does.
    This tournament is available for everyone and number of teams participating can be increased to 16 teams or more (16x8 ) if they're enough players
    The only difference I really see is that .. Not everyone can join or try unlike timed runs for crypts (in which we all know lvl 15 can beat)
    But 90% of the timed runs were end game times (elites) just like this is- but then again it's people's choice to do twinks.. Not sts so if they wanted to join this tourny then do end game .. As for this tourny .. I don't think Apollo is really saying you can't join if you have no mythic .. I think u may wanna reword that Apollo . If they have legendary let them
    Join but don't blame Apollo or any organizers if you get ur butt kicked by full mythics arcane players

The only reason why Apollo and them said NON mythics aren't allowed , not to limit players but to have a more
    Fair play for people who join. Other wise you'll see a bunch of legendary players complaining that mythics shouldn't be allowed.

He already said , if this tourny goes well .. Which we all hope it
    Does.. He will run a non mythic people only .. Which id assume with similar price.
    Join if you want just don't be surprise
    To feel the huge difference having full myth and no myth
    Thanks for the insightful feedback, Ink. Although this is purely Apollo's tournament, I am still assisting him in the realm of planning and development for matters such as this.

The problem with the ladder system is the way it increases in size with no room to modify it (as far as I know). If it weren't for this, we would gladly accept all and any registered teams and tailor the bracket accordingly. This would ensure "equal opportunity" for anyone wanting to sign up. I think there are a few ways around this that would take some consideration and planning, however. For example, if 13 prospective teams sign up, but the next level of brackets is 16 teams, then we could possibly pair 3 of the teams up with fillers (made up teams that don't actually exist), and they would be granted a Bye (free pass to the next round). The Bye would simply be chosen by form of a raffle. This is just one example of how we can exploit the limited bracket system to improve the tournament.

Next, the rules of tournament are very demanding this round because it is the premiere tournament. As we can all see, the majority of players signing up are end-gamers with stellar gear/pets and whom PvP a lot. Hopefully by word of mouth following a successful tournament, the popularity grows and we receive more inquiries to join by more players. If this works and we have a large scale tournament (32 teams or so), my personal idea is to have strict rules that demand more strategy and tactics from players, thus creating a fair battleground for all. The one I am pushing on Apollo right now, for example, is a tournament where everyone wears the same armor and weapons (e.g. devourer) and chooses pets from a pre-selected list (7-10 available pets, no arcanes). Tournaments like this would allow for more players to be able to enter; and in the end strategy, skill and teamwork will decide the winners.

Lastly, I feel the same way you do about legendary wearers joining this tournament, in that, they understand that they will be facing mythic/arcane users and are entering the tournament on their own accord. Perhaps Apollo can respond as to why this rule exists. I do not have an answer for this.
    Last edited by Taejo; 10-21-2013 at 04:18 PM.
    Geunin / Cheonje

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts

I hope stg dont give any reward for this tournment , its absolutely unfair for the players who wanna participate and cant for the limited teams in tournment , make the rewards in ur own players , thats more fair.
    Anyways good luck!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Thanks for the insightful feedback, Ink. Although this is purely Apollo's tournament, I am still assisting him in the realm of planning and development for matters such as this.

The problem with the ladder system is the way it increases in size with no room to modify it (as far as I know). If it weren't for this, we would gladly accept all and any registered teams and tailor the bracket accordingly. This would ensure "equal opportunity" for anyone wanting to sign up. I think there are a few ways around this that would take some consideration and planning, however. For example, if 13 prospective teams sign up, but the next level of brackets is 16 teams, then we could possibly pair 3 of the teams up with fillers (made up teams that don't actually exist), and they would be granted a buy (free pass to the next round). The buy would simply be chosen by form of a raffle. This is just one example of how we can exploit the limited bracket system to improve the tournament.

Next, the rules of tournament are very demanding this round because it is the premiere tournament. As we can all see, the majority of players signing up are end-gamers with stellar gear/pets and whom PvP a lot. Hopefully by word of mouth following a successful tournament, the popularity grows and we receive more inquiries to join by more players. If this works and we have a large scale tournament (32 teams or so), my personal idea is to have strict rules that demand more strategy and tactics from players, thus creating a fair battleground for all. The one I am pushing on Apollo right now, for example, is a tournament where everyone wears the same armor and weapons (e.g. devourer) and chooses pets from a pre-selected list (7-10 available pets, no arcanes). Tournaments like this would allow for more players to be able to enter; and in the end strategy, skill and teamwork will decide the winners.

Lastly, I feel the same way you do about legendary wearers joining this tournament, in that, they understand that they will be facing mythic/arcane users and are entering the tournament on their own accord. Perhaps Apollo can respond as to why this rule exists. I do not have an answer for this.
    I never stated that legendary players would not be allowed to join the tournament.
    Click My Signature to Check Out My YouTube Channel.
    Warning: Any Beggars Will Be Put On Ignore List

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    411 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Puntus View Post
    I hope stg dont give any reward for this tournment , its absolutely unfair for the players who wanna participate and cant for the limited teams in tournment , make the rewards in ur own players , thats more fair.
    Anyways good luck!
    There's always limits in life , friend just bec some players are limited doesn't mean
    Great players shouldn't be rewarded with what they're good at.
    THINK of this like FIFA. Don't you ever think that a lot of soccer players wanna be able to play for that? Lmao
    Unfair how people have more advantage and benefits in life don't ya think?

Don't waste my time, don't waste yours

13. The Following User Says Thank You to inkredible For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
    I never stated that legendary players would not be allowed to join the tournament.
    No, I meant the rule "Mythic items are allowed". I was just opening the floor to you if you wanted to elaborate on it. At the moment, its not really an issue, though.
    Geunin / Cheonje

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    411 Posts

The problem with the ladder system is the way it increases in size with no room to modify it (as far as I know). If it weren't for this, we would gladly accept all and any registered teams and tailor the bracket accordingly. This would ensure "equal opportunity" for anyone wanting to sign up. I think there are a few ways around this that would take some consideration and planning, however. For example, if 13 prospective teams sign up, but the next level of brackets is 16 teams, then we could possibly pair 3 of the teams up with fillers (made up teams that don't actually exist), and they would be granted a Bye (free pass to the next round). The Bye would simply be chosen by form of a raffle. This is just one example of how we can exploit the limited bracket system to improve the tournament.

Great points but then again.. If you wanna compete for the top.. Won't u wanna compete with the best you got ? There's already a lot of limiting factors here just to make it as fair as possible , I'm fine with the rules now my only worries is how it's gonna be when it starts.. Blind competition but we will see how it turns out , perhaps a trial game from two teams to show what kind of screen shots needed ???? - people don't read much - visual images people look at

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts

Anyways good luck!
    Most tournaments in life are limited to a certain amount of participants/teams. If they weren't it would be a logistical nightmare. For example, I've hosted many golf tournaments within my community - and although we have a few hundred golfers who want a piece of the pie, I have to limit it or it would be an outright disaster. A game doesn't really merit any exception to this guideline. Although 8 teams is a bit limited, its the best we can do for now and we will try to improve it in the future. The rewards (if any - STS has not approved them) are not going to excessive. However, it is still fair that after all the hard work and success a team endures to becoming the tournaments winners, they most certainly deserve a reward other than outright respect.
    Geunin / Cheonje

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts

There's always limits in life , friend just bec some players are limited doesn't mean
    Great players shouldn't be rewarded with what they're good at.
    THINK of this like FIFA. Don't you ever think that a lot of soccer players wanna be able to play for that? Lmao
    Unfair how people have more advantage and benefits in life don't ya think?
    Yes , u re right , but the players re selected for coach lol and here the players selected for who is more faster haha, well it doesnt matter , I hope can participate next tournments.
    Good luck all teams, make videos in youtube , should be nice see the matches.
    Last edited by Puntus; 10-21-2013 at 04:31 PM.

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts

Most tournaments in life are limited to a certain amount of participants/teams. If they weren't it would be a logistical nightmare. For example, I've hosted many golf tournaments within my community - and although we have a few hundred golfers who want a piece of the pie, I have to limit it or it would be an outright disaster. A game doesn't really merit any exception to this guideline. Although 8 teams is a bit limited, its the best we can do for now and we will try to improve it in the future. The rewards (if any - STS has not approved them) are not going to excessive. However, it is still fair that after all the hard work and success a team endures to becoming the tournaments winners, they most certainly deserve a reward other than outright respect.
    Yes , im agreed , just jealous coz I cant participate... , good luck all!

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts

I suggested videos from matches please! I wanna see this clashes!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Puntus For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts

Great points but then again.. If you wanna compete for the top.. Won't u wanna compete with the best you got ? There's already a lot of limiting factors here just to make it as fair as possible , I'm fine with the rules now my only worries is how it's gonna be when it starts.. Blind competition but we will see how it turns out , perhaps a trial game from two teams to show what kind of screen shots needed ???? - people don't read much - visual images people look at
    For the screenshots, they are very simple. Use the in-game chatbox to make sure everyone is ready prior to the match starting. This must be done regardless that the red barriers have gone down after all team members have joined the map! Once everyone is, take a screenshot. If any infractions are witnessed, such as trash talking, 2 arcane weapons being used or someone switched out pets, take a screenshot. This is why its so important that every team posts their gear and pets, so we know for sure when having to decipher any evidence of an infraction. Knowledge is power . Once the game has concluded, take a screenshot of the final screen. Send all screenshots to Apollo, Delphina and Taejo.

My thought process behind opening the tournaments to more teams is simply to draw more members of the community together and create a larger scale event for everyone to enjoy. Because full mythic/arcane users are a bit polarized from anyone with less gear, it is more fair to put everyone on equal playing grounds and let strategy/tactics take over. The theory is that the best PvPers will still come out winning, regardless if they had to sacrifice their gear/pets.
    Last edited by Taejo; 10-21-2013 at 04:37 PM.
    Geunin / Cheonje

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    411 Posts

For the screenshots, they are very simple. Use the in-game chatbox to make sure everyone is ready prior to the match starting. This must be done regardless that the red barriers have gone down after all team members have joined the map! Once everyone is, take a screenshot. If any infractions are witnessed, such as trash talking, 2 arcane weapons being used or someone switched out pets, take a screenshot. This is why its so important that every team posts their gear and pets, so we know for sure when having to decipher any evidence of an infraction. Knowledge is power . Once the game has concluded, take a screenshot of the final screen. Send all screenshots to Apollo, Delphina and Taejo.

My thought process behind opening the tournaments to more teams is simply to draw more members of the community together and create a larger scale event for everyone to enjoy. Because full mythic/arcane users are a bit polarized from anyone with less gear, it is more fair to put everyone on equal playing grounds and let strategy/tactics take over. The theory is that the best PvPers will still come out winning, regardless if they had to sacrifice their gear/pets.
    Yeah I understand how it's done with screen shots
    But I meant - sample screen shots to add to your threads for people to see visually how it would work

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts

Yeah I understand how it's done with screen shots
    But I meant - sample screen shots to add to your threads for people to see visually how it would work
    Ah, I understand. Thanks I will try to make that now.
    Geunin / Cheonje

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    411 Posts

I suggested videos from matches please! I wanna see this clashes!
    U need a gamer comp for that -.- tried on Mac meh too laggy ,, it be great tho