Thread: "One Use Only" Items?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    110 Posts

Default "One Use Only" Items?

Seeing as there are rings and necklaces in AL, has it ever been considered to create items that "break after one use"? Items like these fix the economy and stabilize certain aspects of the game. If you don't know what 'one use' items are, it's items that have a certain passive (for example, one 100% re-roll for any boss) then breaks after the certain amount of uses have been met. So, after you kill a boss and the ring gives you its 1 re-roll, it breaks making it disappear from the game forever. The possibilities are endless with these types of items.

-15 minutes of 50% PvE only crit
    -On death, wearing the necklace/ring will resurrect you in your current position without a death counted on your kda <---perfect for twink accounts
    -15 minutes of visual transformation of (insert creature name here).

Granted, these sound a little like elixirs but these would have to be items dropped in the game or found in chests and sold/bought with gold. Also, it would add a little more excitement in the things you wear on your character besides the usual 'buy all maxed items like always' build.

Thoughts?
    System & others love me ;] U jelly?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ihavenokills For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    784 Posts

I like the ideas.

Personally, I think that this game and its economy would benefit from more single-use items and they would serve as a terrific gold-sink. Elixirs are serviceable Platinum-sinks, but with the continuing addition of gold into the economy (via Locked Crates and Plat to Gold purchases), I just think that there is a lurking inflation problem that should be addressed sooner rather than later.

I don't want to log in one day and see Smelly Helms listed in auction for 10k.

AL: Kalizzaa
    Retired Officer of <Elite Runners>
    Elite Chronicles: Solo guides for elite maps - No longer maintained

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts

Agree with GoodSyn.

Lol smelly helms ftw!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    110 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GoodSyntax View Post
    I like the ideas.

Personally, I think that this game and its economy would benefit from more single-use items and they would serve as a terrific gold-sink. Elixirs are serviceable Platinum-sinks, but with the continuing addition of gold into the economy (via Locked Crates and Plat to Gold purchases), I just think that there is a lurking inflation problem that should be addressed sooner rather than later.

I don't want to log in one day and see Smelly Helms listed in auction for 10k.
    My thoughts exactly. If they address the economy issue now and not later, things will balance out and take much much longer to become corrupt which in balance will also make the game last much much longer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts

Being a player who doesn't want to spend platinum on everything, of course I like the idea. However, being a realist who understands why elixirs exist in the first place, I don't see STS implementing this. Shaz/Klaas and Leprechaun Pendant are as good as its going to get for free rerolls, buff elixirs, eggs and potions. The idea of having elixirs drop randomly in elite chests or crates is the only one I would imagine STS to consider.
    Geunin / Cheonje
    Proud Member of <Elite Runners>

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

They can make it both farmable items(very hard to get) and Plat items like the bundles. both the player and sts could profit if it was implemented correctly.I like the idea but I'm sure some work would be needed to make it better but overall its a great idea

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    68 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Taejo View Post
    Being a player who doesn't want to spend platinum on everything, of course I like the idea. However, being a realist who understands why elixirs exist in the first place, I don't see STS implementing this. Shaz/Klaas and Leprechaun Pendant are as good as its going to get for free rerolls, buff elixirs, eggs and potions. The idea of having elixirs drop randomly in elite chests or crates is the only one I would imagine STS to consider.
    Well, that reroll one doesn't have to be created. The others he said are good examples, like the revive one. Also, there should [perhaps] be something that breaks after certain amount of uses, not just one. Like, a pass that you can buy from the Store for X amount and the next 5 or 10 times you want to list something in the CS, you wouldn't have to pay the listing fee. Or if that would save somebody to much gold, it can be like reduces the amount by 25%.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Drearivev View Post
    Well, that reroll one doesn't have to be created. The others he said are good examples, like the revive one. Also, there should [perhaps] be something that breaks after certain amount of uses, not just one. Like, a pass that you can buy from the Store for X amount and the next 5 or 10 times you want to list something in the CS, you wouldn't have to pay the listing fee. Or if that would save somebody to much gold, it can be like reduces the amount by 25%.
    Yeah, I agree with the concept of having 1-use items. An example I can remember is from EverQuest and/or WoW, where there are items with "charges" (5/5 or 1/1, etc.) of a buff, damage spell, or whatever. Things like this are ok for STS to implement. So I guess what I'm saying is, the overall idea of 1-time use or "charged" items is great - but mixing in anything that STS profits greatly off of (elixirs especially) is probably not going to gain consideration.
    Geunin / Cheonje
    Proud Member of <Elite Runners>

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    68 Posts

Yeah, I agree with the concept of having 1-use items. An example I can remember is from EverQuest and/or WoW, where there are items with "charges" (5/5 or 1/1, etc.) of a buff, damage spell, or whatever. Things like this are ok for STS to implement. So I guess what I'm saying is, the overall idea of 1-time use or "charged" items is great - but mixing in anything that STS profits greatly off of (elixirs especially) is probably not going to gain consideration.
    Well, he did say "for example"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    110 Posts

yeah it was just an example. There are soooooo many different possibilities with items like these. All it would take is a little creative thinking.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    784 Posts

How about a banish potion?

Stockpiled like HP/MP pots, but banishes all enemies (like Samael) in a 10m radius. Obviously, this would not work on bosses. These banish potions would be super worthwhile on Elite maps (ahem, Shuyal) and personally, I would be willing to pay 10k for a single banish pot, either in store or auction.

Talk about a gold sink, I would invest in a dozen of them before every run to Elite Ferrix or Elite Overgrowth!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    110 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GoodSyntax View Post
    How about a banish potion?

Stockpiled like HP/MP pots, but banishes all enemies (like Samael) in a 10m radius. Obviously, this would not work on bosses. These banish potions would be super worthwhile on Elite maps (ahem, Shuyal) and personally, I would be willing to pay 10k for a single banish pot, either in store or auction.

Talk about a gold sink, I would invest in a dozen of them before every run to Elite Ferrix or Elite Overgrowth!
    That would kind of mess up leaderboard run times though, wouldn't it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

You could just do it so these "items" wouldn't apply to Timed runs. So lets say you decide to use one in the middle of the map. Right after you do that the timer would stop and the run would not count anymore.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    784 Posts

What Shadow said is kind of what I had in mind.

Very few players are challenging for LB times, but anyone who runs elites would appreciate having 10-12 mobs banished - especially in the more difficult maps of Shuyal where even good teams can make too big of a pull and become overwhelmed.

Basically, the thought is to make the run on these elite maps a bit easier for those who only are interested in the AP and the farmers to whom a 30-45k investment in banishment pots per run would be worthwhile if they are on reroll and can just blast through to the boss.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    110 Posts

Ahh i see. That does sound very helpful indeed.