Thread: Mana Shield Question

Guardian of Alterra FluffNStuff's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts

Default Mana Shield Question

I have a Mana shield question that I was hoping someone could ~test~, ie, not just assume. The question is whether mana shield is protected by armor. Suppose a mage has 100 armor, and has mana shield up. If they are hit by a 130 Damage attack, will it take 30 mana or 130 mana? Also, can mana shield 'dodge'? The answer to both of these is important because if mana shield is not protected by armor and not helped by dodge, then using it is a serious threat to a mage.

The Hundred Acre Legends:
    HunnySniper - HunnyStorm
    Please Fill out the End Game Pet Survey!|||||| What's With that Shield Icon?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It is affected by both armor and dodge.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

1. I think it will cost mana same as damage you take, like aliens do 200 damage, when mana shield is on and you have total armor of 100, it will take 100 mana on that damage

2. not sure but I think it can't, thats why mana shield isn't that good, mage is only class doesn't have dodge skill
    Last edited by j46g629h; 11-09-2010 at 11:47 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Justg
    Kids, please.
    Quote Originally Posted by rangepwnsmeel
    I look at people as equals until they give me a reason to frown upon them. Not implying that me, other PL shield winners, or any GOA think themselves to be better then other people.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts

When the server's back up, I'll trot my Mage out and see what happens. I'm not sure how much armor she has or her dodge stats--have to check, but at least I can see what kind of damage she takes with and without a mana shield up. I'll run her through enough times to see if she gets a dodge to come up when the shield's in place. I'll also respecc out her Dex points afterwards and see how that affects dodge with and without the shield.
    Rauen Haikus' dex 60 sammich-maker; Grievousangel Haikus' 58 Mage/Butler, Jeffrey; Diffie Wounded's 55 drink-mixer; Ghazaal Noobmigo's 47 cheerleader. SL: Rauen, 36 Op & Bod's turkey baster; Yosinabe 36 Engi; Chedaka 36 Comm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No one saw my answer? Do u guys have to have a reply from royce?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Superzarop View Post
    No, I saw it and appreciated it, but now I'm curious about the numbers. And I want to see how much of a difference there is, good or bad, when I edit out my Dex points. Semi-sorta-scientific inquiry ftw!
    Rauen Haikus' dex 60 sammich-maker; Grievousangel Haikus' 58 Mage/Butler, Jeffrey; Diffie Wounded's 55 drink-mixer; Ghazaal Noobmigo's 47 cheerleader. SL: Rauen, 36 Op & Bod's turkey baster; Yosinabe 36 Engi; Chedaka 36 Comm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Superzarop View Post
    I saw your answer, and no we don't need a reply from Royce, but I would appreciate a Royce style reply. How? do you know that mana shield is protected by armor? Have you tested this in PVP with controlled hits? Have you swapped out all your Thoth and gone to lower dungeons where they enemies put out less damage then your shield and taken no mana loss when you have very low regen? Are you sure these are hits and not misses?

HunnySniper - HunnyStorm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CanonicalKoi View Post
    No, I saw it and appreciated it, but now I'm curious about the numbers. And I want to see how much of a difference there is, good or bad, when I edit out my Dex points. Semi-sorta-scientific inquiry ftw!
    We can test this when the server is back up, add hunnyhunter and ill add yosinabe. Need to put on ~non~ mana regen armor, and I can hit you with my quickstrike talon. It has super low damage, and even if it crits is is barely over 100. Can then test with your shield down, and compare the mana effects to the health effects.

HunnySniper - HunnyStorm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts

Speaking of which....Fluff, do you have a char willing to slap my Mage around in PvP (in the interests of science, of course)? Or will someone volunteer to take part without going all Rambo on me? It's a level 50, so someone of a level that can do some serious damage would be good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CanonicalKoi View Post
    Speaking of which....Fluff, do you have a char willing to slap my Mage around in PvP (in the interests of science, of course)? Or will someone volunteer to take part without going all Rambo on me? It's a level 50, so someone of a level that can do some serious damage would be good.
    Be happy to load up the hammer or mega blaster for some ~advanced~ testing ...

HunnySniper - HunnyStorm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FluffNStuff View Post
    Be happy to load up the hammer or mega blaster for some ~advanced~ testing ...
    Lol! Will do....sorry about posting before your answer. I'd also like to try respeccing my Dex down to it's lowest point and see if the shield provides any dodge of it's own.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ive tried it it takes out 130 in your example..
    Kurl-55 Warrior
    Kurle-50 Archer
    kurll-47 Mage

Kurly-12