Thread: Untrustworthy People/Scammers

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Default Untrustworthy People/Scammers

Ok, so before you guys start trolling this post i'd like you to read it first. The purpose of this post is to remind people that there are players/people out there that are quite happy to destroy all your hard work in seconds, and to remind everyone that there are ways to avoid this.

Over the last few weeks I have witnessed many scams, and have heard of many failed attempts. Most of the players affected were friends with those that were scammed, and NOT random traders. Unfortunately there is one person in particular that is out there trying to get one over everyone.... I cant say who as i will get an infraction. But we all know.

There's only a few ways that you can really get 'scammed' in this game, and i use the word 'scammed' loosely as technically IMO there is only 1 way to get scammed in the true sense of the term. For purpose of this post i will call the majority of the reasons 'tricked'.

Ways to get 'Tricked'

The disappearing zero - Common problem where someone in trade places the full amount, then changes the amount to contain one zero less.

Incorrect Item - Putting a lower level item into trade. Whether it be lesser in stats or in level, it doesnt matter.

Lending someone money or gold.

The reason i categorise these as 'tricked' is because ultimately it is your fault. I have seen so many people get 'tricked' using the above methods. And to this day it amazes me that so many people fall for it.

Ways to get 'Scammed'

Someone stealing you account info.

Thats it. These are the only TRUE ways to get scammed. Being scammed IMO means that someone you trust has pulled the wool over your eyes. It does not involve a normal trade, it involves trust and the breaking of that trust by another.

STS only recognise one of the above as a true Scam and that is if your account details have been compromised or if someone is hacking the game, so unfortunately if you have been 'tricked' there's nothing they can do.

The best advice to avoid having any of the above happen to you is clear:

Triple check your Zeros (STS pleeeeeasssse can you put commas into the trade window)

Know what items you are buying/trading so that you know what to expect to see in trade

Never give your account info to anyone

***Most importantly only trust those people in game that you TRULY know well. This is the hardest one.... We all have to use our common sense and is not always accurate. The only people myself and Em now help with items and gold are those that have been close to us for a long time and that we KNOW have nothing to gain by scamming us.

Beware of low levels with expensive items. 90% are genuine, but the other 10% could be trying to hook you in for a scam. If the deal seems to good to be true it usually is. Again, triple check your zeros. (Thanks desperoto for reminding me of this scenario in your reply after this)

I hope this has been useful, even if it has been posted on previous threads before (incoming troll) and that by reading it some of you are now a little bit more cautious.

Peace
    Last edited by Joncheese; 10-29-2013 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Added scenario

Ign: Ice / Scar ~ Guild <Karma>

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Joncheese For This Useful Post: