Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Untrustworthy People/Scammers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Default Untrustworthy People/Scammers

Ok, so before you guys start trolling this post i'd like you to read it first. The purpose of this post is to remind people that there are players/people out there that are quite happy to destroy all your hard work in seconds, and to remind everyone that there are ways to avoid this.

Over the last few weeks I have witnessed many scams, and have heard of many failed attempts. Most of the players affected were friends with those that were scammed, and NOT random traders. Unfortunately there is one person in particular that is out there trying to get one over everyone.... I cant say who as i will get an infraction. But we all know.

There's only a few ways that you can really get 'scammed' in this game, and i use the word 'scammed' loosely as technically IMO there is only 1 way to get scammed in the true sense of the term. For purpose of this post i will call the majority of the reasons 'tricked'.

Ways to get 'Tricked'

The disappearing zero - Common problem where someone in trade places the full amount, then changes the amount to contain one zero less.

Incorrect Item - Putting a lower level item into trade. Whether it be lesser in stats or in level, it doesnt matter.

Lending someone money or gold.

The reason i categorise these as 'tricked' is because ultimately it is your fault. I have seen so many people get 'tricked' using the above methods. And to this day it amazes me that so many people fall for it.

Ways to get 'Scammed'

Someone stealing you account info.

Thats it. These are the only TRUE ways to get scammed. Being scammed IMO means that someone you trust has pulled the wool over your eyes. It does not involve a normal trade, it involves trust and the breaking of that trust by another.

STS only recognise one of the above as a true Scam and that is if your account details have been compromised or if someone is hacking the game, so unfortunately if you have been 'tricked' there's nothing they can do.

The best advice to avoid having any of the above happen to you is clear:

Triple check your Zeros (STS pleeeeeasssse can you put commas into the trade window)

Know what items you are buying/trading so that you know what to expect to see in trade

Never give your account info to anyone

***Most importantly only trust those people in game that you TRULY know well. This is the hardest one.... We all have to use our common sense and is not always accurate. The only people myself and Em now help with items and gold are those that have been close to us for a long time and that we KNOW have nothing to gain by scamming us.

Beware of low levels with expensive items. 90% are genuine, but the other 10% could be trying to hook you in for a scam. If the deal seems to good to be true it usually is. Again, triple check your zeros. (Thanks desperoto for reminding me of this scenario in your reply after this)

I hope this has been useful, even if it has been posted on previous threads before (incoming troll) and that by reading it some of you are now a little bit more cautious.

Peace
    Last edited by Joncheese; 10-29-2013 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Added scenario

Ign: Ice / Scar ~ Guild <Karma>

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Joncheese For This Useful Post:

Forum Legend
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts

Very informative article on scamming.
    Great job!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    568 Posts

They are implementing spaces between sets of digits.. It may not be commas or periods, but it's a start
    Ebezaanec|Ebezairec|Ebezcookie|Trisomy|Apothem

Following the Code

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Default Untrustworthy People/Scammers

Certainly is mate

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    78 Posts

Also add add the tricks:
    A low lvl noobs start talking to u: Hey!
    U say back: Hey
    Then he wanna start a trade, and u enter
    He shows a good item. (Mythic or so)

Then u think: lol it's a noob! I can get it very cheap, so u ask what he wants for it. He asks a random item that he putted in auc on another account for way much more gold then he is. (a noob pink for 500k, example..) So u think: Yes i wanna buy it and then trade it for the mythic. Wow im lucky today! So u buy it, and the person is gone.. and u lost a lot of money... And then u think: Wow im so noob.

Im sure a lot people had this... So add it in a short version if this is too long (It is)
    WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    .................................................. ................................Sig made by BeelzzeBob

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Desperoto For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

everyone should read it !
    good post

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    75 Posts

No more helping with money achievements i guess.. 3 cases i have heard were 'I knew him for months!! How could he do this to me??'

AL IGNs: Venom, Poison, Elite, Kill, Dude, Hawk, Jerk, Legend
    OaC Android AF IGNs: -Venom-, -Carnage-, -Dude-

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    81 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Defamed View Post
    No more helping with money achievements i guess.. 3 cases i have heard were 'I knew him for months!! How could he do this to me??'
    Yea, I'm surprised every time I hear about people helping with money achievements without incident. All it takes is one untrustworthy "friend", 10 seconds to clear friends list and 30 plat to rename for a clean break. That is, unless you happen to be on the LB.

Heck, some people even have balls to scam stuff like Mauls and just walk around like nothing happened. Haha.
    Airys <Average Joes>

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Yakiniku For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    302 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Defamed View Post
    Somehow I don't understand how can I get an achievement via someone else's gold. I mean, what sense this AP has.

Why isn't there an option "Run Elite Inan AP on my behalf"?

Does it sound crazy? Yes, but the logic is the same.

KingMartin AKA Queenotshade
    GM at <Elite Runners>
    Sig: Courtesy of Bloodpack

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    784 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KingMartin View Post
    Somehow I don't understand how can I get an achievement via someone else's gold. I mean, what sense this AP has.

Why isn't there an option "Run Elite Inan AP on my behalf"?

Does it sound crazy? Yes, but the logic is the same.
    LOL - Sure, I'll run Elite Inan for you....100k - I'll give you any pinks that drop.....trust me :-]

It seems that there is just so much more scamming going on now than there used to be in previous seasons. It's kinda lame that we can't even play a (free) game without someone trying to steal your yellow and pink pixels.

AL: Kalizzaa
    Retired Officer of <Elite Runners>
    Elite Chronicles: Solo guides for elite maps - No longer maintained

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    738 Posts

Trolling.

OK I'm about to read

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk now Free

AL: Rare (Rogue)/Common (Warrior)/Mythic (Sorcerer)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

I agree with all of you guys, people shouldn't get the ap for Midas touch unless they have earnt it, but the reality is that people will always try and shortcut this AP. I don't have a problem with them doing it, I'm over it now, I just have a problem with them ruining someone's gaming experience in the process.

Let's not get off topic tho, I'm just trying to create awareness for everyone out there with a trusting and kind nature.... Because people try and take advantage of it. I just don't like that sort of person in rl, and will do anything to help people avoid being turned over.

Thanks for the comments guys.
    Last edited by Joncheese; 10-29-2013 at 12:16 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts

I wish i can restore your faith in humanity bro, but some people just get off fooling others. Although when you do find people you can truly trust, no gold or even real life money can put a price on that, even if we are just living in a pixelized fantasy.

Sent from under my bed.
    I'm not lazy, I'm just on energy saving mode.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to parnasofication For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by parnasofication View Post
    I wish i can restore your faith in humanity bro, but some people just get off fooling others. Although when you do find people you can truly trust, no gold or even real life money can put a price on that, even if we are just living in a pixelized fantasy.

Sent from under my bed.
    I agree mate, fortunately I happen to know some of the most genuine people in the game. Faith in humanity restored for now!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Joncheese For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Fell victim of one of these 2 nights ago my officer of my guild also a good freind who I thought I could trust bc we have borrowed things before and returned. Also Ihelped him alot. But anyways he needed 15m to get goldfinger so I gave... he left guild delted charcter and gone. 15m just gone. Just sucks because I bought a decent amount of plat so to me he stole real money from me around 500 dollars. But on the plus side I habe the most exspensive lepre amulet lol I have a 15m lepre in alor cuz thats what he put in trade for some reason. Lets hope its extra lucky!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    84 Posts

Yesterday one person joined a guild im in with my low lvl toon and the first thing he spoked was " im opening crates for y. ill give items for y. I not scammer."

Would u believe it!!!

He was kicked in few seconds....

On other note: I trust only ppl i play with for more then a year now, we talk outside the game too, so i got to know them. Beside them i dont trust anyone
    Last edited by Uzii; 10-29-2013 at 01:01 PM.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Uzii For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

What was hes name? What lvl bc guy who got me this is how he scamd makes new chracters trys to get close to people in guilds and scams them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    84 Posts

dont know, i forgot the moment he was kicked. Was some random generated name i think

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    81 Posts

I'll restore everyone's faith in humanity right here and right now. Give me all of your gold for Midas AP, and I'll give it right back. Don't everyone all line up at once now.

Kidding aside, there's probably one person I know right now whom I'd trust with all of my in-game belongings and gold. But I guess that's how we get taken for scams. Because we are humans with feelings and want to trust others.

It's a tough lesson to swallow. Sorry for all that have had to learn it the hard way. And thank you Jon for reminding us to be careful.
    Airys <Average Joes>

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Felt bad for the victims specially those who'd been scammed by people they have come to consider as friends. It's betrayal. And if you've been betrayed before, you know it feels really bad. This is a virtual environment after all. The people who we think we know, we don't really know so just be extra careful.
    AFROBUG
    ELITE RUNNERS

27. The Following User Says Thank You to afrobug For This Useful Post: