Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Ban the Midas Touch

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    624 Posts

Maybe there's some middle ground to be found...

I agree that something needs to be done, even if the person who got scammed has him/her self to blame. It's just too easy and too harsh of a scam to let it be like it is in its current form. There's a big difference between lending an item or lending whatever to achieve AP's. the AP associated with the Midas touch is basically what gives scammers a valid reason to ask you for your hard earned gold.

That said, I also understand that people who spend a lot of plat just for the AP's, shouldn't be 'punished' for people's lack of common sense. Taking away the AP wouldn't be fair to them.

So these are basically the 2 sides to the story as I understood it and personally, I think they are both valid things to consider.

So yeah, although I haven't figured it out (yet?), maybe there might be another solution to this. One less drastic as to remove the AP while simultaneously lowering (or eliminating) the chances to get scammed because of it.

There are many smart people on the forums so I'm positive that we could come up with something that could potentially be a solution for both parties. At least that's what I'll focus on in the rest of my post.

The best I could come up with for the moment (and I saw someone suggest something similar somewhere), is keeping the AP but making you hold the gold for a specific amount of time before it's granted.

One of the problems would be were you need to keep the gold. Do you have to keep it on one character or in stash for a period of time? To me it feels most convenient if we could just have the amount of gold in our account and get the AP granted just once per account, while every character in that account would automatically get the title. This would also prevent people/guilds from just creating a ton of alts in the same account and give them the Midas touch to boost up their total guild AP's.

I do see a problem with having alts in different guilds and which toon should get the AP's for leaderboards purposes, so let's look at the stash option. With this option, you could basically keep all the AP's, but every toon that wants it need to stash 100 mil (minus 1 gold) for a specific period of time before the AP is granted to that character.

Second problem would be the time you'd need to have the gold in your account or your stash. Make it too short, and people will still ask for it, while making it too long could make it too hard for some to ever get there. I was thinking about a week or so before the AP gets granted.

Note that I didn't mention keeping the gold on a character for a longer period of time, because this would just be really inconvenient. You wouldn't be able to receive gold trades, cs sales or liquidation fees for items during the time period you're holding on to the gold.

So yeah, that's just a random possible way of keeping both AP's and lowering chances to scam significantly.

I dare you to do better! (Can't be that hard LOL)

And for all doubters of my rockstar status:
    Quote Originally Posted by Justg View Post
    U rok, thanks!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JaytB For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    552 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sprtcuz View Post
    Well in my guild most of us are expats we rather spend cash than farming whole day we dont have the time for it.

Lets say each of us spend 300-500 usd for plats budget per month and i know round 40+ in middle east in my guild.

Its around 20,000-30,000 USD. FYI STS earn money from plats users.
    Players who play for free farmed items - plat users buy items from converting plats to gold
    This is how the game works.

We will see if this game will still run with all free users playing.. Arcane legends will die with out plats users.

Go banned and midas touch and we will see.
    The removal of these titles do not equate to mass quitting of plat users. True enough that without plat players, this game would lose the funding and eventually decline. It goes the same :f non plat users leave the game, the remaining population will lose interest as well.

But why go far from the issue? Even before these achievements were introduced, there were lots of players spending plats poppin' this and that. Trust me on this one: removing this ap would not in any way affect plat spenders.
    duck dynasty falls

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

I think it's up for the people who have the "100M" already. Helping friends is "SO FINE" but again, think first. Why would I lend even a friend "100M" for the fact that ME, MYSELF and I worked so hard to get this money? If we guys don't like to get scam or whatever you call you, be wise and smart. "THE MIDAS TOUCH" ... It's an ACHIEVEMENT POINT for the first place. It's not just a give away like what others do in lending their own money just to help people to get AP. Why put this as an ACHIEVEMENT POINT if we will just give it away? That's the problem. Yeah, I understand that we are being "FRIENDLY" or "WE HAVE SO CALLED FRIENDS" but guys, it's our fault too, accept it.

Think that it is "100,000,000" that we just wanna hand to someone for a second or seconds. But still .... It's 100M and an ACHIEVEMENT POINT at stake. Let's just be wise. No one wants to get scammed. It's still our decision. Just think that we work so hard to get the gold.

IT IS UP TO US NOW IF WE WANT TO LEND IT FOR "JUST" AN ACHIEVEMENT POINT. NEVERTHELESS, THEY SHOULDN'T MAKE THIS AS AN ACHIEVEMENT POINT.

Thanks for reading :P

Peace everyone!
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=104188&dateline=14070  59351

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    254 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JaytB View Post

I agree that something needs to be done, even if the person who got scammed has him/her self to blame. It's just too easy and too harsh of a scam to let it be like it is in its current form. There's a big difference between lending an item or lending whatever to achieve AP's. the AP associated with the Midas touch is basically what gives scammers a valid reason to ask you for your hard earned gold.

That said, I also understand that people who spend a lot of plat just for the AP's, shouldn't be 'punished' for people's lack of common sense. Taking away the AP wouldn't be fair to them.

So these are basically the 2 sides to the story as I understood it and personally, I think they are both valid things to consider.

So yeah, although I haven't figured it out (yet?), maybe there might be another solution to this. One less drastic as to remove the AP while simultaneously lowering (or eliminating) the chances to get scammed because of it.

There are many smart people on the forums so I'm positive that we could come up with something that could potentially be a solution for both parties. At least that's what I'll focus on in the rest of my post.

The best I could come up with for the moment (and I saw someone suggest something similar somewhere), is keeping the AP but making you hold the gold for a specific amount of time before it's granted.

One of the problems would be were you need to keep the gold. Do you have to keep it on one character or in stash for a period of time? To me it feels most convenient if we could just have the amount of gold in our account and get the AP granted just once per account, while every character in that account would automatically get the title. This would also prevent people/guilds from just creating a ton of alts in the same account and give them the Midas touch to boost up their total guild AP's.

I do see a problem with having alts in different guilds and which toon should get the AP's for leaderboards purposes, so let's look at the stash option. With this option, you could basically keep all the AP's, but every toon that wants it need to stash 100 mil (minus 1 gold) for a specific period of time before the AP is granted to that character.

Second problem would be the time you'd need to have the gold in your account or your stash. Make it too short, and people will still ask for it, while making it too long could make it too hard for some to ever get there. I was thinking about a week or so before the AP gets granted.

Note that I didn't mention keeping the gold on a character for a longer period of time, because this would just be really inconvenient. You wouldn't be able to receive gold trades, cs sales or liquidation fees for items during the time period you're holding on to the gold.

So yeah, that's just a random possible way of keeping both AP's and lowering chances to scam significantly.

This solution we would agree!

Or making it lower to 10m 40m 80m with 1 week time holding the gold

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts

Wow 17 pages 300 comments! Daaaaayyyyyyum
    Credits to Iady

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

The O.P's post must beat some kinda record for being the most thanked

+1 to the idea

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Samhayne View Post
    Hey guys,

We've actually been talking about removing the top 3 gold achievements for a while now, given the scamming issues that come up from them. The team is sensitive to the titles, those who have them and those who would like to obtain them in the future. We don't have a specific course of action that we're prepared to announce, but I think it is safe to say that we will be doing something with them in the future.

Thanks for keeping this thread friendly.
    I honestly only made it to page 14 of this thread before I got tired of reading the same things.

This all boils down to one thing, "YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID."

Those that have been "scammed" were stupid. It isn't even a scam, it's just someone being an idiot.

If I talked to you online for a month, and then said "Hey, could I borrow 5,000 USD, I'll give it right back." You'd laugh at me, and probably never speak to me again. What is any different here? There isn't anything different.

Remove the AP and you'll have another three threads whining about how someone lost something else and YOU need to fix their stupidity. They CHOSE to GIVE it to someone else, that was THEIR choice.

Everyone here that is saying to remove it can be boiled down into three groups.

1. I tried to cheat the system and gave my money to someone else, they never gave it back.

2. My friend is #1.

3. I don't have the achievement and never will, it's not fair that I can't be on the leaderboard without having to work for it. (or those that have it, but care about how it affects their guild rank)

The rest either don't care, want to keep it, or think removing it solves nothing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    738 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Valsacar View Post
    Everyone here that is saying to remove it can be boiled down into three groups.

1. I tried to cheat the system and gave my money to someone else, they never gave it back.

2. My friend is #1.

3. I don't have the achievement and never will, it's not fair that I can't be on the leaderboard without having to work for it. (or those that have it, but care about how it affects their guild rank)

The rest either don't care, want to keep it, or think removing it solves nothing.
    Well, I don't exactly fall into any of those catagories. Maybe 3, but I honestly couldn't care less about leaderboards (I think its the dumbest part of this game, but its makes some people happy, so who cares).

I think it needs to be changed. You're right, you can't fix stupid. But... you can protect stupid from themselves. Which is what governing bodies do. And which is what should be done here. I'm not saying get rid of it. Fix it.

AL: Rare (Rogue)/Common (Warrior)/Mythic (Sorcerer)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    113 Posts

You forgot about the people who ARE on the LB, have the achievment and want a solution.
    Cause the scamming thing is rediculious. Its like a style of play in this game..
    been gaming online for 15 years never played a game were scamming is this bad.
    Last edited by iluvataris; 11-05-2013 at 12:53 PM.
    Sig cred: Beelzeebob
    End Game Rogue Get-N-Paid
    Chances are I've probably killed you.
    Watch me on youtube : ) http://is.gd/YiK25Y

11. The Following User Says Thank You to iluvataris For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

I would be happy for a solution like this even though I don't agree with the AP.

If it is that important to some then fine keep it. Though I have to say that if the argument from the plat spenders side is purely because of the amount they have spent then I would say that this is unfair to those that don't. That being said make it a 0 point AP. Keep the title, and everyone is happy. Why? Because no one should get an achievement for the amount of plat or currency they spend in game. That, if everyone is honest, is ridiculous.

It would be good to hear in stone what the plat spenders reasons are for not wanting to get rid if the AP.

And in answers to a previous post, plat spenders won't stop playing if this is removed. Only a small percentage have obtained the title through this manner, and I'm pretty sure they're not playing the game just to get this title. I spend plat, I keep the game growing, and I enjoy it. This won't stop me from playing, as it does not make my gaming experience worse, in fact, it makes it better.

And whilst I am writing this someone else has been scammed 89 million. See what I mean. Yes it was their fault, yes maybe they shouldn't have been as stupid. But we are HUMAN.

Humanity (virtue), a set of strengths focused on "tending and befriending others"

Ign: Ice / Scar ~ Guild <Karma>

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    624 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Joncheese View Post
    That being said make it a 0 point AP. Keep the title, and everyone is happy. Why? Because no one should get an achievement for the amount of plat or currency they spend in game. That, if everyone is honest, is ridiculous.

It would be good to hear in stone what the plat spenders reasons are for not wanting to get rid if the AP.

The problem is that it doesn't make everyone happy, obviously as you commented on the remarks of the people that wanted to keep their AP's. Let's say that you had spend a lot of money just to get those AP's, then STS says 'thanks but we're taking back those AP's'. I doubt you'd be very happy.

As for the reason in 'stone' why plat spenders don't want to get rid of the AP, I think the answer is obvious... You can hardly get that AP if you don't throw (a lot of) money at the game and it gives you an easy (but expensive) edge.

So yeah, definitely agreeing on the fact that the AP is ridiculous and shouldn't even exist. But it does, and taking it away at this stage in the game just sounds like a drastic measure to me. One that only hits the people who, even with how ridiculous it would seem, spend a ton of real money for this achievement.

That's why I suggested a way where scamming would be prevented and the AP kept, wouldn't that be more of a middle ground? one where, as you said, everyone can be happy with?

Don't get me wrong, I don't care about it either way. I'd never run around with a title that says 'ask me for gold' nor do I care in the least about AP's in general. Just trying to come up with a less black and white solution.

And for all doubters of my rockstar status:
    Quote Originally Posted by Justg View Post
    U rok, thanks!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JaytB For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    738 Posts

The problem is that it doesn't make everyone happy, obviously as you commented on the remarks of the people that wanted to keep their AP's. Let's say that you had spend a lot of money just to get those AP's, then STS says 'thanks but we're taking back those AP's'. I doubt you'd be very happy.

As for the reason in 'stone' why plat spenders don't want to get rid of the AP, I think the answer is obvious... You can hardly get that AP if you don't throw (a lot of) money at the game and it gives you an easy (but expensive) edge.

So yeah, definitely agreeing on the fact that the AP is ridiculous and shouldn't even exist. But it does, and taking it away at this stage in the game just sounds like a drastic measure to me. One that only hits the people who, even with how ridiculous it would seem, spend a ton of real money for this achievement.

That's why I suggested a way where scamming would be prevented and the AP kept, wouldn't that be more of a middle ground? one where, as you said, everyone can be happy with?

Don't get me wrong, I don't care about it either way. I'd never run around with a title that says 'ask me for gold' nor do I care in the least about AP's in general. Just trying to come up with a less black and white solution.
    This is exactly how I feel about it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Totally agree, think about SWOT(strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and Treats). This is an opportunity for scammers, they can get rich in 3 seconds by asking and betraying hi sbest friend or guild master or an officer. I can give you one tip: everything what you loot is yourse, don't give it away even to guys who pretend to be your best friend. And with this tip, you won't get scammed.

Zaoskwik

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts

Ban it! :thumbup:

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    250 Posts

I too don't like the 50 and 100m achievements. Let me preface this by saying that I don't have them, so I am biased. Nevertheless, I would be happier if these aachievements were true markers of achievement rather than a marker of your social system and your ability to convince people that they can trust you with their gold. Furthermore, although these AP's can result in people scamming others for large sums of money, there was plenty of scamming going on in the game before these AP's and even the 10m AP went into effect. Unfortunately, the world is full of dishonest people, and AL will never be immune to this fact. That is not to say that there is not room for improvement, perhaps instituting many of the excellent suggestions in this and other threads (eg with more strict enforcement).

So we come to the issue at hand, the 50m and 100m AP's. Unfortunately, at this point I think we have to admit to the fact that the damage has been done, and there is no turning back. It would just be too unfair to many to get rid of these AP's at this point, unless everyone who already has them is ok with them getting removed (which I highly doubt). I think the best solution is to dilute the importance of these AP's. At this point the only things that matter for the leaderboards are the 5k and 10k flag and the 50m and 100m gold AP's. Increasing the number of difficult to obtain AP's would dilute the pressure to obtain these AP's. Pve kill AP's of 100k, 500k 1m, killing elite bosses 1000 times, winning a CTF or TDM match 1000 times, listing 1k or 10k items in the auction house, etc. are just a few examples. The list goes on... If there are other hard to achieve AP's out there that people could work towards, then perhaps there would not be so much pressure to get the 100m gold AP with the temptation to scam others.

I think this was suggested before they brought out the 50 and 100m gold AP and I was very dissapointed that they did not roll out a whole bunch of other hardcore AP's at the same time

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to drgrimmy For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    156 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheMiraclebird View Post
    Wow 17 pages 300 comments! Daaaaayyyyyyum
    True dat

Let's end this
    Sammy said they are looking to remove it

I <3 Miracle nao

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rushed View Post
    True dat

Let's end this
    Sammy said they are looking to remove it

I <3 Miracle nao
    Agreed. All points across.

Thanks for the input

Ign: Ice / Scar ~ Guild <Karma>

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts

Ughh, sorry guys, I ran out of thanks today.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    254 Posts

John dont get our point at all. Its not just about the achivement points its about the money people invest to get this AP.
    If you think we get this AP the easy way by purchashing plats you are wrong.

1.) did you guys think where did we get the cash to purchase plats? ( kids dont understand this they just ask money from parents)
    2.)we all know its hard to earn $$$$ at this time.
    3.) yes its our money and spending it on this game is our way of plesure! We work hard at the office got a few extra dolars spend on the game.

Get this to your skull that no one force you to let them lend your gold your the one who gave the scammers oppunity by letting them fool you!

@the people who got scammed spi feel sorry for you but Grow up take responsibilities and dont let other players pay for mistakes you made.
    Last edited by Daddyblu; 11-05-2013 at 04:33 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    738 Posts

^^

Name:  snowball-effect.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  129.7 KB

j/k sprtcuz