Quote Originally Posted by WhoIsThis View Post
Unfortunately, it's not just PvP that needs saving. PvE is also not viable without elixirs as you've noted.

The majority of the people we knew are gone. The issue with PvE is that there's little incentive to well, get better. What we need is a system to incentive people to get better at PvE and where elixirs are not used.

That said, I think the difficulty level forces it. The reality is, without elixirs, builds like pure int mage and pure dex bird would not be viable. Everyone would forced to be strength. But apart from that, the other issue is that the average PUG simply does not have the skill needed to complete any of the levels without the use of some elixirs. I sometimes go to lower end levels and solo them just to keep my non-elixir PvE skills at an acceptable level.
I noticed my post wasn't constructive or helpful, so some actual ideas that could be interesting:

To promote elixir free playing as an alternative to the new normal:
1 count kills separately when on elixir
2 count kills with made xp anywhere even separate from that
3 extra leaderboards for elixir free kills
4 a timed map with leaderboards for elixir/clean groups
5 specific loot for elixir free groups (f.e different colored gear)
6 elixir free quest with item reward (kill koal 50 times with clean groups and receive item x)

For a team play revival:
7 higher bonus damage for mega combos
8 more mega combos with new classes
9 bosses who are vulnerable to a certain class / mega combos
10 After leveling up to level 30, 40, 50 ... you get to see a mini tutorial on a topic of basic class and team mechanics

Gear:
11 sets with a DMG, armor or speed bonus that doesn't stack with elixirs
12 Less DMG for str gear (Too many mages/birds wearing str is part of the reason why elixir free runs are so terrible now in my opinion - lots of missing skill DMG)