Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: 2013-12-09 Content Update (136925)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts

So what are the current prices for the vanities?

2.   Click here to go to the next Dev post in this thread.   #22
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FluffNStuff View Post
    Could be, if so, locks are typically bought and sold extremely fast so a caching system would wreak havoc on that.
    Noted.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to H2N For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts

Can you make the new arcane pet lootable even after the winter event is over? Arcane pets take a very long time to either loot or save up for.

5.   Click here to go to the next Dev post in this thread.   #24
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by H2N View Post
    We implemented a caching system, so that's the behavior that you are seeing. Thanks for the feedback. We'll revisit.
    For now, you can force the cache to refresh by changing any of the search parameter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ravager View Post
    Can you make the new arcane pet lootable even after the winter event is over? Arcane pets take a very long time to either loot or save up for.
    That's the same exact question that i want to ask. Are the arcane and mythic pet eggs only available during the event or forever?

Another question is whether elite golden puzzlebox contains those pets (possibly only the mythic ones, because I know arcane will only be looted from crates) or not.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts

For now, you can force the cache to refresh by changing any of the search parameter.
    Is this only a temporary solution or not? Because if everyone does it, it will defeat the original purpose of the caching system

8.   Click here to go to the next Dev post in this thread.   #27
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by basketholic209 View Post
    Is this only a temporary solution or not? Because if everyone does it, it will defeat the original purpose of the caching system

Only temporary. We'll look into improving the caching system so it stays more up-to-date. The problem is that the caching system currently has a pretty long expiration time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts

Only temporary. We'll look into improving the caching system so it stays more up-to-date. The problem is that the caching system currently has a pretty long expiration time.
    Why exactly was this implemented, if you don't mind my asking?

The only reason I can think of is an effort to reduce lag.

If that's the case, I predict you'll get the result opposite to what you wanted. Merchants will be constantly switching and refreshing their search parameters to stay up to date on the lowest prices, thus dramatically increasing overall CS activity.

Counter-intuitively, in this case, I'd say your real time system was probably more efficient.

10.   Click here to go to the next Dev post in this thread.   #29
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mackmaebe View Post
    is there another way to earn winterfest tokens other than just finding them in chests?
    Just play through normal dungeon content (excluding Brackenridge) and when a boss dies there is a chance Portal will spawn. When the portal spawns there will be a random boss inside. Every boss in there will always yield tokens. Check out samhayne's in depth post in the announcements forum.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carapace For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

lol I was able to get warrior vanity while it was on "Sale" xD luckily I did those offers fast!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Jabbawalkee For This Useful Post:

14.   Click here to go to the next Dev post in this thread.   #31
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jenvy View Post
    Why exactly was this implemented, if you don't mind my asking?

The only reason I can think of is an effort to reduce lag.

If that's the case, I predict you'll get the result opposite to what you wanted. Merchants will be constantly switching and refreshing their search parameters to stay up to date on the lowest prices, thus dramatically increasing overall CS activity.

Counter-intuitively, in this case, I'd say your real time system was probably more efficient.
    We're looking to reduce the load on the DB from CS search, which is where the majority of the DB load is currently coming from. We're trying to find the right balance somewhere between real-time accurate and always out-of-date cache.

If say each time you hit the Next button, we retrieve 8 results from the DB instead of 4 (which is an insignificant amount of additional load), then the next time you hit the Next button, if it hasn't been too long since we retrieved the 8 results (i.e. it's stale/out-of-date), we can just display the next 4 items without having to hit the DB again, then we would have cut the DB load from CS search in half.

We just have to find the right balance of the number of results to return from the DB each time you hit the Next button (is 8 the right amount? 16? 24? 40? 100?). And how long before the search results is considered stale/out-of-date (15 seconds? 30s? 1 minute?). Any feedback on good values for these 2 parameters?

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by imrock View Post
    How to buy platinum w/o using credit card?? I dnt have one! though, i have a bnk account?
    Buy googleplay cards or iTunes cards best way to get plats

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

same problem here, i am checking archon potency price, then i am selling mine. When i searching back for archon potency list, my ring is not there. I thought it already sold out in 1 second, but i am wrong, its still at pending item. So i close cs window and open it back, searching for archon and its there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts

We're looking to reduce the load on the DB from CS search, which is where the majority of the DB load is currently coming from. We're trying to find the right balance somewhere between real-time accurate and always out-of-date cache.

If say each time you hit the Next button, we retrieve 8 results from the DB instead of 4 (which is an insignificant amount of additional load), then the next time you hit the Next button, if it hasn't been too long since we retrieved the 8 results (i.e. it's stale/out-of-date), we can just display the next 4 items without having to hit the DB again, then we would have cut the DB load from CS search in half.

We just have to find the right balance of the number of results to return from the DB each time you hit the Next button (is 8 the right amount? 16? 24? 40? 100?). And how long before the search results is considered stale/out-of-date (15 seconds? 30s? 1 minute?). Any feedback on good values for these 2 parameters?
    You're caching it globally or per user account? I assume the current values are 100 and 15 seconds?

18.   This is the last Dev post in this thread.   #35
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by basketholic209 View Post
    You're caching it globally or per user account? I assume the current values are 100 and 15 seconds?

Per user. With today's update, the value has been set to 40 and 30 seconds. You can notice it where if you click next really quickly, when you get to the 40th item, there will be a slight pause as it fetches the next 40 items from the DB.