Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Challenge another player to a duel (1-on-1 PvP)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fritzce View Post
    then, it can be farmed with a pvp friend, like alternate kills.
    Since deaths cause you to lose points, if you alternated kills with a friend you would be back where you started when it was over.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    173 Posts

Bump. Really an awesome idea!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Great idea

As it is now, you can go to your settings to decline all party invites....so why not add a similar option to pvp duel requests. This would limit spamming and seems fairly easy to implement.

To prevent kill farming make players unable to duel anyone 200 points above or below their current amount. Pvp has always been competitive and in that environment feelings get hurt. So what is stopping a good player from dropping to 0 points then challenging one of the best players who is on the leaderboards that hurt his feelings. If the player whose feelings were hurt wins, the player who lost will not be be on the leaderboards anymore and his points will drop immensely.

It's all just speculation, but it could happen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

I would like the formula to be such that individual battles do not swing your rating that much, and it requires a lot of work to get your rating high -- so much that nobody would want to drop their rating to zero as it would take a ton of work to get it back up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    158 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Energizeric View Post
    In the past, I suggested having a 1-on-1 PvP arena where other players can watch, but this idea is a bit different... On the context menu where you can inspect, trade, or invite a player, there will be a "Challenge to Duel" option. If the opposing player accepts, you will both be brought to a 1-on-1 arena where you can fight each other. The first player to 5 kills wins.

Instead of keeping track of wins and losses on your stat page, you will have a "PvP Rating" of between 0 and 1000. New players begin with a rating of 500. When you win a duel with another player, your rating increases. When you lose a duel with another player, your rating decreases. The increase or decrease depends on the rating of the other player. The stronger the other player is compared to you, the more you have to gain and the less you have to lose. If the other player is much weaker than you, then you have little to gain and more to lose.

The formula to determine the change in PvP Rating after a duel is as follows:

Winner's PvP Rating increase = [(1000 - Winner's PvP Rating)/100] * [(Loser's PvP Rating - Winner's PvP Rating)/500 + 1]

(winning against a player who has a PvP Rating more than 500 points lower than yours will result in no gain for your rating)

Loser's PvP Rating decrease = [Loser's PvP Rating/100] * [(Loser's PvP Rating - Winner's PvP Rating)/500 + 1]

(losing against a player who has a PvP Rating more than 500 points higher than yours will result in no loss for your rating)

(Perhaps some of you math majors can tell me if these formulas produce good results. The idea is to have a formula that pushes everyone towards the middle 500 number, makes it very difficult to get a very high or low rating, and makes it impossible to go higher than 1000 or lower than 0.)

Some Rules:

1) You cannot duel against a player who is more than 2 levels lower or higher than you.

2) Leaving in middle of a duel results in an automatic loss. Since the system cannot tell the difference between leaving or being disconnected, disconnects will result in a loss.

3) At the beginning of each duel, and after each kill, both players will have a 30 second orb or protection around them, and at that time they can make any adjustments to their pets, gear, etc. After 30 seconds the orb disappears and the fight begins.

4) After the duel is over and one player has reached 5 kills, two options will appear on the screen, "Quit" or "Rematch". If both players choose "Rematch", then a new duel between them will begin, otherwise both players will return to the town or dungeon they were in before the duel.

Your PvP rating will be shown on your stat page. Players with a high rating can be expected to be challenged to duels quite often, since other players would hope to beat you and increase their rating. There will be a settings option to "Decline Duels" just as we have an option to decline party invitations.

There will be a leaderboard page for the top 25 in PvP Rating just as we have for other PvP categories.
    Remind me of the old republic.you can inspect players amd send invite for a duel.
    semi-retired

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    656 Posts

Sounds like something that's missing from the current unorganized PvP. I support this but first, I have two questions for you:

1)Is the winner's HP/MP going to be refreshed after each win? In any other case, a closed space 1v1 area would turn this to alternate kills. For example, will the player who lost the first fight get back to his injured opponent before 30 seconds pass?

2)Yes, there is a way to boost, just slightly more complicated. Using a multi-account scale system. Let me explain.

I'm talking about 3-4 alts, which anyone can make. Let's suppose this 0-1000 point system is implemented. As each player starts with a set amount of points --let's say 500--, the player chain will go like this:
    (assuming account [3], meaning your main, already has the lead)

Replaceable New Acc.[1] < Second Degradable Acc.[2] < Main Acc.[3]

1. First step is using [3] to farm [2] until the points received are too low/zero.
    2. Secondly, [2] farms [1] until he completely regenerates from [3]'s farming.
    3. Since [1] is expendable, when [2] stops receiving points from [1], remake account [1].
    4. Continue to feed [2] with [1]'s until [2] is maxed and then farm [2] with [1].
    5. Repeat.

With these 5 simple steps and some patience, 1000 is not unachievable. Note that this process can be done in account making levels(lvl 1-3) until the max or a satisfying score is achieved. Then proceeding with actual leveling as usual.

And because I'm aware this is still complicated for most, let me break it down to numers. Let's assume 100 point difference nullifies further point gain.

[1]- -[2] - -[3]

500 - 500 - 550
    500 - 400 - 650
    400 - 500 - 650
    500 - 500 - 650
    400 - 600 - 650
    500 - 500 - 750
    400 - 600 - 750
    500 - 600 - 750
    500 - 500 - 850

-At this point a 4rth account comes in if you want to achieve 1000.

Yes, I'm good at this.
    Last edited by Madnex; 01-22-2014 at 06:29 AM. Reason: Aesthetical fixes and typos.

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

This sounds amazing but instead of having to create a new arena it could take place where you stand. This was available in another game *coughworldofwarcraftcough* there was no rating system it was just something fun players could do when standing around..paradise pier or windmoore comes to mind. When in any town you can pull up another players inspect page where a duel tab would be. After challenging a player to a duel an accept tab would pop up on their screen (similar to a party invite tab) where they could accept or deny. If the player accepts a message appears at top of screen "get ready" "3" "2" "1" "go!" (Similar to cf "the match will begin when each team has 3 players" during the countdown both players cannot target each other. When the countdown is over a red and blue circle appears under each respective player and they are able to target each other. When one of the players is defeated there would be a player 1 killed player 2 message in general chat in blue and red letters like pvp maps. The spectators would be everyone in a Givin map. While a duel is active players could not receive buffs from surrounding players and the potion tab would disappear I would absolutely love to be able to kill time in the pier like this. I don't think a rating system or lb is nessassary. Just some good fun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dantus View Post
    This sounds amazing but instead of having to create a new arena it could take place where you stand. This was available in another game *coughworldofwarcraftcough* there was no rating system it was just something fun players could do when standing around..paradise pier or windmoore comes to mind. When in any town you can pull up another players inspect page where a duel tab would be. After challenging a player to a duel an accept tab would pop up on their screen (similar to a party invite tab) where they could accept or deny. If the player accepts a message appears at top of screen "get ready" "3" "2" "1" "go!" (Similar to cf "the match will begin when each team has 3 players" during the countdown both players cannot target each other. When the countdown is over a red and blue circle appears under each respective player and they are able to target each other. When one of the players is defeated there would be a player 1 killed player 2 message in general chat in blue and red letters like pvp maps. The spectators would be everyone in a Givin map. While a duel is active players could not receive buffs from surrounding players and the potion tab would disappear I would absolutely love to be able to kill time in the pier like this. I don't think a rating system or lb is nessassary. Just some good fun.
    1Vs1 pvp in a town map is a suicide. c:

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EliteFamily View Post
    1Vs1 pvp in a town map is a suicide. c:
    Enlighten me

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    656 Posts

1Vs1 pvp in a town map is swtor all over. c:
    Fixed.

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Madnex View Post
    Fixed.
    Swtor?
    Lol nevermind...Googled it.
    Last edited by dantus; 01-22-2014 at 08:54 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts

Enlighten me
    Let me proceed to flash you with my torch. c:

Lets take a example of a war Y vs a rogue X in Paradise pier, fights starts:

Prob1
    The rogue use SP and vanishes in crowd then the war start searching for her instead of them fighting.

Prob2
    People seeing there's a fight gather around the two of them so there's is a mass of toons and pets concentraded in 1 spot and the fighters can't identify their opponent.
    It turns from 1vs1 to Hide n Seek.

Prob3
    Rogue X drops her medic pack wanders a bit here and there and later can't find the packs when she needs them cause there is a pet or a group of toons standing on top of them.

Prob4
    How do you eliminate the problem of people changing their gears after being challenged and right before match starts bringing out the full myths + samael they were hiding to seem weak??

Prob5
    Having a fight with people of your same caliber and level will be much more complicated cause in town maps their is not a level filter.

Prob6
    This is a concrate one thats has to do with programming. As stated by Samhayne when he explained why pocket legend was not repolished and instead AL was invented
    "it is much more simplier to create something new than fixing the old things".

After considering all this problems some days ago i made a suggestion only few people gaf about if you care to read click:
    Here.

c:
    Last edited by Anarchist; 01-22-2014 at 09:45 AM.

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Let me proceed to flash you with my torch. c:

Lets take a example of a war Y vs a rogue X in Paradise pier, fights starts:

Prob1
    The rogue use SP and vanishes in crowd then the war start searching for her instead of them fighting.

Prob2
    People seeing there's a fight gather around the two of them so there's is a mass of toons and pets concentraded in 1 spot and the fighters can't identify their opponent.
    It turns from 1vs1 to Hide n Seek.

Prob3
    Rogue X drops her medic pack wanders a bit here and there and later can't find the packs when she needs them cause there is a pet or a group of toons standing on top of them.

Prob4
    How do you eliminate the problem of people changing their gears after being challenged and right before match starts bringing out the full myths + samael they were hiding to seem weak??

Prob5
    Having a fight with people of your same caliber and level will be much more complicated cause in town maps their is not a level filter.

Prob6
    This is a concrate one thats has to do with programming. As stated by Samhayne when he explained why pocket legend was not repolished and instead AL was invented
    "it is much more simplier to create something new than fixing the old things".

After considering all this problems some days ago i made a suggestion only few people gaf about if you care to read click:
    Here.

c:
    I would also suggest that kill/deaths are not recorded. This would simply be a fun way to pass the time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts

I would also suggest that kill/deaths are not recorded. This would simply be a fun way to pass the time.
    I agree too it should just be for fun and measuring power.
    No kdr
    No "points"
    No AP's

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

Sounds like something that's missing from the current unorganized PvP. I support this but first, I have two questions for you:

1)Is the winner's HP/MP going to be refreshed after each win? In any other case, a closed space 1v1 area would turn this to alternate kills. For example, will the player who lost the first fight get back to his injured opponent before 30 seconds pass?

2)Yes, there is a way to boost, just slightly more complicated. Using a multi-account scale system. Let me explain.

I'm talking about 3-4 alts, which anyone can make. Let's suppose this 0-1000 point system is implemented. As each player starts with a set amount of points --let's say 500--, the player chain will go like this:
    (assuming account [3], meaning your main, already has the lead)

Replaceable New Acc.[1] < Second Degradable Acc.[2] < Main Acc.[3]

1. First step is using [3] to farm [2] until the points received are too low/zero.
    2. Secondly, [2] farms [1] until he completely regenerates from [3]'s farming.
    3. Since [1] is expendable, when [2] stops receiving points from [1], remake account [1].
    4. Continue to feed [2] with [1]'s until [2] is maxed and then farm [2] with [1].
    5. Repeat.

With these 5 simple steps and some patience, 1000 is not unachievable. Note that this process can be done in account making levels(lvl 1-3) until the max or a satisfying score is achieved. Then proceeding with actual leveling as usual.

And because I'm aware this is still complicated for most, let me break it down to numers. Let's assume 100 point difference nullifies further point gain.

[1]- -[2] - -[3]

500 - 500 - 550
    500 - 400 - 650
    400 - 500 - 650
    500 - 500 - 650
    400 - 600 - 650
    500 - 500 - 750
    400 - 600 - 750
    500 - 600 - 750
    500 - 500 - 850

-At this point a 4rth account comes in if you want to achieve 1000.

Yes, I'm good at this.
    As for #1, I agree that both players should be returned to full HP and Mana after each battle.

As for boosting, perhaps we need some safeguards built into the system to help avoid this sort of thing. Obviously you can never eliminate it 100%, but let's try to make it as difficult as possible. The formula needs to be such that you need a ton of kills of good players to get up past 900. Yes, boosting is always possible, but it needs to be such that maybe you would a hundred alts to get that high, not just 5. Any ideas?
    Last edited by Energizeric; 01-22-2014 at 01:44 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts

As for #1, I agree that both players should be returned to full HP and Mana after each battle.

As for boosting, perhaps we need some safeguards built into the system to help avoid this sort of thing. Obviously you can never eliminate it 100%, but let's try to make it as difficult as possible. The formula needs to be such that you need a ton of kills of good players to get up past 900. Yes, boosting is always possible, but it needs to be such that maybe you would a hundred alts to get that high, not just 5. Any ideas?
    I have 1 what if....
    You remove the points and add a gold betting system.

I really want to see how they will exploit this c:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I have 1 what if....
    You remove the points and add a gold betting system.

I really want to see how they will exploit this c:
    I was just thinking this. Remove any kind of kill points system and have a betting system.
    So there's no way to "farm" or "exploit" anything.
    Both people have to agree to the amount bet, they fight, and the winner gets the loot. And if people complain they lost, too bad, don't agree

+1 for the idea!
    IGN: Rianaku (Warrior) - Couchlock (Sorcerer) - SnackBox (Rogue)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    656 Posts

Hmm I can see locking PvP for levels below 20, for example, making my method and similar ones a lot harder. As you said it wouldn't be impossible just enough to make the majority of boosters back off and rethink if a score is worth so much of their time.

This isn't a bad solution for the current PvP either. Twink PvP is by no means necessary to exist in such wide level range.

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

If there was a betting system this will surely be exploited.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts

Hmm I can see locking PvP for levels below 20, for example, making my method and similar ones a lot harder. As you said it wouldn't be impossible just enough to make the majority of boosters back off and rethink if a score is worth so much of their time.

This isn't a bad solution for the current PvP either. Twink PvP is by no means necessary to exist in such wide level range.
    Are you for real dude?

Find a better solution.