Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gold to Cost Ratio

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts

Default Gold to Cost Ratio

So a lot of people ask/beg me for gold when I'm sitting in town, or ask me how are you rich, or how can I be rich. And I feel bad for these new players, so sometimes I would gift them sets I don't use, I.E Shivering set, Crystalline Sets to them for them to use/ get a boost in the game.
    Some of them are even nice enough to gift it back later.

But when I come to think of why these new players are so poor, or are just stuck. I boiled it down to one thing. The Gold to Cost ratio.

The amount of gold that is dropping is so low, new players can't even afford simple gear to keep leveling, let alone the top gear at that level. Not just the gold drop, but the quest payouts are extremely low. Average quests reward what? 300 gold? 500 gold? (Correct me if I'm wrong). Like what am I going to do with 500 gold?

I came across someone asking me how do I make adequate money in PL, I said there's a lot of ways, but when I asked him why he doesn't have Iceberg Gear on ( he's a level 30 bear). He replyed I don't have any gold, and the price is too high. And the price for an iceberg set is what? 30k?

Now to take this to the next step, I invited my sister to play PL, ( first time nub) and she was hooked onto it. Now, she told me she was hooked on when she was level 15. I didn't teach or tell her anything, how to make money, quests, elixers nothing, she was on her own, for now that is.

Later on when she was around level 35, I logged into her account I saw her wearing some crap gear. She wasn't even wearing a purple item, it was all "rare" items. And the amount of gold she had? 17k after liquidating. And she had a good amount of the quests done. So I gave her Voodoo/Halloween Mix set, because It is the best set at that level for a mage, she's a mage btw.

So I checked in later that month again on her account at level 48, this time she had a nice 85k, but she didn't get it from gold drops and liquidating. She sold the Halloween/Voodoo set, and bought some good pinks, but pinks are extremely cheap at 45.

Once she was level 53 she had 50k left and some cheap sewer items on. Now keep in mind I told her not to pvp, main reason I knew she would do bad, but new players would be curious right? How can new players even come close to being good in pvp without adequate gear/weapons, and it just keeps getting expensive the higher you get.

I'm not requesting STG to do anything really. This isn't a complaint to them.

I just want to hear what YOU the people have to say.

Thank you

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to largecommand For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Omg agreed. These crazy people in cs r trying to sell this stuff for endless amounts of money. I can't call myself poor with usually 200k-300k, but compared to all the merches, I'm probably one of the poorest full-time pvpers in the game. Anyway, how can a new person even enjoy the game if they have to pay butt-loads of money for one piece of equipment that will probably be weaker than the next sets in 5 lvls. Then, sts wants us to spend 700 platinum on 250k? C'mon guys. On sl, all of the gear is fairly priced. Cs is still op as always, but it's nowhere near as ridiculous as this. I hope you rich people realize, it's way harder to start pl now than 2-3 years ago. Bring your prices down. Stop being so selfish. Most of you rich people probably have 2-3 chars filled to the cap with gold, anyway.

(P.S., I don't need your flames. I'm hot enough already )
    I AM..... Depury | Hammerologist | Mydadsapizza | Lvlbearz | Lvlbatti | Lvlflight | Dished | Rhinotacular | Truesome

Reputation and Thanks are serious business
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,080 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Depury View Post
    Omg agreed. These crazy people in cs r trying to sell this stuff for endless amounts of money. I can't call myself poor with usually 200k-300k, but compared to all the merches, I'm probably one of the poorest full-time pvpers in the game. Anyway, how can a new person even enjoy the game if they have to pay butt-loads of money for one piece of equipment that will probably be weaker than the next sets in 5 lvls. Then, sts wants us to spend 700 platinum on 250k? C'mon guys. On sl, all of the gear is fairly priced. Cs is still op as always, but it's nowhere near as ridiculous as this. I hope you rich people realize, it's way harder to start pl now than 2-3 years ago. Bring your prices down. Stop being so selfish. Most of you rich people probably have 2-3 chars filled to the cap with gold, anyway.

I don't remember how it was easier for me as it was for the new players today, I even believe some stuff went the price down.
    I could actually tell the same story as largecommand, just the date when that happened was in 2011.

TL: |AL|DL|PL|SL|BC|BD|
    Exps :|AL|DL|PL|SL|
    Other threads here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Depury:1416509

That ps lol

But seriously, if StG wants more people to play pL they need to lean the game a bit towards gold based. In the past year I've seen MMO's go from players spending little $ and actually be successful in the game and tons of people play,to spending alot of $$$$$ and not alot of people playing or people not losing intrest but because the game became unplayable w/o spending money. The makers think they are giving out way to good of a deal so they lean the game towards $$$ based.

Why fix a car that's not broken?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DocDoBig:1416525
    Quote Originally Posted by Depury View Post

I don't remember how it was easier for me as it was for the new players today, I even believe some stuff went the price down.
    I could actually tell the same story as largecommand, just the date when that happened was in 2011.
    I agree it was harder back then as well, but back then A LOT of people played PL and money wasn't a issue for STG because PL blew up so much. But now players are being discouraged and soon lead them to quitting PL because the lack of money or gold.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts

Without a good gold sink in the game, the gold just accumulates and people who get lucky drops end up with the most money disproportionately. When items go over the gold cap, the system is not built to address those kinds of prices.

It would never happen, but maybe charging gold for plat items like thrasher elixirs or Dragon pets (like 5-9M) would clear out some of the excess gold inflating the economy. Of course, taking away platinum revenue is not an idea that will ever be approved by the Devs.
    EdtheEagle - Lvl 76 bird a.k.a. "Yeti fodder".
    Curiositee - Lvl 76 mage a.k.a. farmer alt
    Edthe Rhino - Lvl 76 Rhino / Gold Mule ha ha

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Chopper For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    262 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DocDoBig View Post
    I would disagree, and Im talking out of my own experience... I started a couple of times from scratch (for some reason), and it definitely is harder to start now than it was back in 2010, for example.
    Beware of the Tinfoil - it's coming...

Arendelle's in

deep

deep

deep

deep

snow.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,462 Posts

To me it seems a fact, the longer you play the easier it is to get "rich" nothing wrong with that. In some cases it's easier to get by than when I started, for instance I sweated to get a void bow during AO, now i might liquidate them. What used to be cap gear is now affordable in a lot of cases.

Also, I'm not policing but how many times did you mention sharing acc here?!?! You should know how that ends up, at least edit this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Suentous PO:1416561
    To me it seems a fact, the longer you play the easier it is to get "rich" nothing wrong with that. In some cases it's easier to get by than when I started, for instance I sweated to get a void bow during AO, now i might liquidate them. What used to be cap gear is now affordable in a lot of cases.

Also, I'm not policing but how many times did you mention sharing acc here?!?! You should know how that ends up, at least edit this.
    I mentioned it many times, it's my sisters account. She lives with me and is younger than me. I see no harm in me knowing her account info. She doesn't know my account information because one day I fear she'll accidentally do something. And besides I wouldn't scam my own sister...impose a tax on her account tho is a diffrent story
    Last edited by largecommand; 01-08-2014 at 04:20 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,462 Posts

It doesn't say don't share info unless its family, but I have no vested interest just mentioning because older players set a precedence.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Suentous PO:1416569
    It doesn't say don't share info unless its family, but I have no vested interest just mentioning because older players set a precedence.
    Then my little experiment couldn't be done so I can know first hand how new players these days play.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,462 Posts

Back on topic doe, as an experiment I used one alt acc that I only gave access to nativx offers and with limited toons none of which were end gamers made a couple mil in one month off this Winterfest and lil farm/merchin. Granted I'm older and know a few tricks, but that's what I mean, experience pays. New folks can do ok depending on what they're aiming for.
    If it were possible for a brand new player to hook up with the best gear I'd be less interested in playing.
    Last edited by Suentous PO; 01-08-2014 at 04:43 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Suentous PO For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

The low gold might because of the low amount of xp needed to level, upon each cap the experience of each level is lowered making players do less runs (less gold) and more leveling (more gear needed). Also that massive xp change at fang cap making it need way less xp needed could also be a reason for less gold with more levels.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    273 Posts

I remember when 200k for a void set was a lot. My friend and I always ran AO and liquidated our items until we reached our 200k to buy the set!

Tournament & Ladder Leader XghostzX's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,204 Posts

I completely agree with the quests not giving more significant rewards. Some quests in PL are fairly quick - those deserve small amounts of gold as rewards. However, I think more quest should have a bigger payout with the high amounts of gold needed to buy gear because STS has been a bit reluctant to do any gold sinks. But...

My only thought is that players would make characters, do the quests, then delete those characters and remake new ones for endless gold; thus, we're being counter productive and avoiding this gold problem (by putting more gold into the economy).

So if this were to be, the quests should not be giving relatively large gold payouts until, say, 30ish? I remember once I hit level 30 that's when leveling got trickier.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

Hello buddies,

such an interresting toppict was born here, thanks Command. This is such a matter I take care about for a pretty long time already. Especially last six months, I pay pretty big attention on low lvl players I meet around in townes, or I sometimes visit some PVE games in balefort-ish dungeons to meet some of them. Thats the good way how to filter those really brand new players who joined PL recently from some low lvl alts of high level players (who are sometimes trying to pretend newbie to get something, sadly). Basically, what Command mentioned I consider very trure.

Meeting those newbies, I try to talk with them, asking how are they doing in game etc. Pretty often I can find someone, who is not just some little kid, or someone who doesn't really care about the game, just trying it out. Alot of those pretty concentrated players (mostly between L15-30) were telling me, that they pretty enjoy the game but cant imagine how to ever buy some better equip. Unless they are super tallented merchants, who can start with 10k and multiply that really fast, their only chance, except begging, is reaching at least level 55 to get in the locations, where the chance for some cinsiderable drop is not that low. But still, even hardcore farmers are hard to get alot of drops todays, so how could random runner be successfull? In most of cases, Im trying to help those guys by gold and equip donations like Command said. I found out they mostly needs 100k at least, not to be just cosmetic gift. I was considering if to mention this, because this definitely may sound like showing off. But whatever, I wanted to say that, maybe I encourage some ohers of us, who arent hard to make such a gift by the time. Some newbier are really worth it, and when you feel their grattitude, its better than anything you can buy in game

Anyway, it's really kinda sad this matter. Basically, the threshold to become rich enough, to be able to buy some sets and to get some ensurance gold base, is getting some of those million drops, like mystery dragons or good blacksmoke pieces. Many poor players even on level like 60-65 desire for getting those and trying pretty hard, but we all know, that only succesful farming groups are those mostly end game level combo parties, and those are used to boot players we are talking about almost everytime they try to join. I still remember that feeling, and its very discouraging.

I really like the idea making quest rewards higher. Making them like around 10k or more would be really helpfull for those who start in game. But also, it would need to make those quests not that easy to pass, because todays quest would be very easily exploitable by some wise guys. I can easily imagine farmers remaking toons over and over just to make quests in forest haven to earn pretty good golds.

The other possibleity might be rewards for some amount of quests done. Not that easily to misuse, but still may be helpful. Also rewards for reaching higher level would be possible. If there is 100k reward for reaching for example lvl 50, what do you think about this?

I bet you all have much more and better ideas how to make PL better for new players. I would not mind to make some suggestion to devs, if there are more of us who agree on this matter.

But at least, Id like to point everyone, not to ignore noobs and their questions, unless they are some silly beggers. Try to be open minded. Sometimes you can meet some really good further friends, even within this sort of new players. (dam, Im sure I sound like some sapient preacher )

regards

Lol, i was writing this such a long while, that gnost was able to put his post in advance and now i seem to be repeating alot of what he said first. Sorry about that.
    Last edited by BroadCastle; 01-08-2014 at 05:12 PM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to BroadCastle For This Useful Post:

Reputation and Thanks are serious business
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,080 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LEVEL ONE View Post
    I would disagree, and Im talking out of my own experience... I started a couple of times from scratch (for some reason), and it definitely is harder to start now than it was back in 2010, for example.
    Well, it's just the fact which bugs me that people believe it was way easier back then, actually the game itself stayed the same (the starting campaign mobs for sure are the same as they were 3 years ago - when not even easier now when I look into the Timeline and how many Nerfs the mobs had),

Ihave no explicit examples about "wow look this and that item price was waaay lower/higher back then due it's not really my matter but I clearly remember how I actually played all days just to level up, do these darn quests and maybe believe in my luck for a fortune drop and then get up my stuff.

Do you remember PL's 2nd Birthday how ALL maps (except pvp) became free? Actually (In my eyes) the players nowadays have a lot easier Pixel Life than back when you had to pay plat (No im no oldie who payed maps to level further than 13 in 2010) to actually obtain the quests and get a bit fortune and some quests done.

I was always happy when I succesfully unlocked a new campaign with it's maps and with these quests, but that's not really the point.

I totally agree, the gold drops from quests should get one or two digits more instead to have one of these "wow 25 gold from the quest? *sarcastic*-wooohoooooooooo"-moments.

I think the reason why so many newisher players believe that it was easier is the huge amount of rich (looking) players standing in town, now everyone with a savage set is automatically a richy rich person and a person you can ask for money with no ifs or buts.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem if people have to show of with their items, for me it's just pixels afterall.

I once have read an interesting post by someone which was something like that:

"The more players join plus the longer these player play, the more gold comes into the economy and therefore everything might become even more expensive"

For me it makes totally sense, if you think about it, you actually make more income of "total PL gold" than loss.
    (The only loss i can think of are potions/elixirs and cs-fees) while the huge possibilites of earning money are going from slaying a mob to getting awarded by quests.

After all it's just my honest opinion, people should just enjoy THEIR Pixel Life and shouldn't care about others wealth.

Yes, I agree, quests should give a higher amount of gold reward but I doubt this will fix anything imo.

P.S.: Ily l1

TL: |AL|DL|PL|SL|BC|BD|
    Exps :|AL|DL|PL|SL|
    Other threads here

22. The Following User Says Thank You to DocDoBig For This Useful Post:

I'm the guy with my hand on your shoulder
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts

Multiply all quest gold rewards by 10! Its still only like 3k at the most, and at least if you do many quests you'd have the chance to buy some twink gear
    O Hai Der

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    68 Posts

New players can't expect to get lots of gold right away. They are still new so they have to adjust to the game and how they can earn gold once they reach a higher lvl. When reaching lvl 33, u can run at alien oasis which gives good gold and loot to liquidate. I find myself making lots of gold from alien oasis

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

I quit playing PL and had 25 mil in gold and crafted/dragon sets. I still wasn't rich compared to a lot.

PL-lvl 76 Duper mage (main)
    AL- Hephaestus warrior (main), Duper Sorcerer