Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gold to Cost Ratio

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Int View Post
    New players can't expect to get lots of gold right away. They are still new so they have to adjust to the game and how they can earn gold once they reach a higher lvl. When reaching lvl 33, u can run at alien oasis which gives good gold and loot to liquidate. I find myself making lots of gold from alien oasis
    Back in the day AO3 keeper runs would give 2-3k in liquidation per run. I am not sure what it is now though.

PL-lvl 76 Duper mage (main)
    AL- Hephaestus warrior (main), Duper Sorcerer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    262 Posts

When I said "easier" I meant only in terms of gaining gold and obtaining pink items, not the whole leveling up system.

You've got no idea how many new players I made quit after answering them how much gold certain PVP items cost for lvl 10-20. I think all those discontinued items are ruining the already ruined economy. There were no items back then which would cost 1M...

P.S. lmk Doc
    Beware of the Tinfoil - it's coming...

Arendelle's in

deep

deep

deep

deep

snow.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    481 Posts

Hey Large,

Very wise your post was, I agree to this suggestion I feel this sometimes, when I'm in towne I often get the "Begging" pm for gold too, when I asked it is the same questions too. Giving more golds in quests is a brilliant idea, but if I could suggest, maybe 1 per account if you get 10k pay outs?

Sometimes the people who get "begged" gets very annoyed resulting the new players to beg and beg more, I'm pretty sure 100k is nothing for you guys with 3 n more gold caps. I stopped giving my gold away to "new players" is when once I gave some gold to one player and when he reached endgame, he just trash talk and yeah you know. Like others have said, we need a gold sink, there is so many people wit 3 or more gold cap, we should atleast make cs just a slight different from the actually prices, maybe just the lower lvl ones? Thats just my opinion on whatcha sayin..

Ex.
    Judgementals, Retired Officer of Rated M.

Luminary Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    615 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LEVEL ONE View Post
    When I said "easier" I meant only in terms of gaining gold and obtaining pink items, not the whole leveling up system.

You've got no idea how many new players I made quit after answering them how much gold certain PVP items cost for lvl 10-20. I think all those discontinued items are ruining the already ruined economy. There were no items back then which would cost 1M...

P.S. lmk Doc
    Well, Zuraz Shock Lance did reach 1m at one point during 45 cap I think.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Swaggron View Post
    The good ol' shock lance.

PL-lvl 76 Duper mage (main)
    AL- Hephaestus warrior (main), Duper Sorcerer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    262 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Swaggron View Post
    Everything is overpriced when it releases... Its cost got divided by 2 in the same week.
    Beware of the Tinfoil - it's coming...

Arendelle's in

deep

deep

deep

deep

snow.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts

The root of the problem is definitely a lack of a gold sink. People who have been here for 3 or more years have money just piled up to the rafters with nothing to spend it on. Sure, not everyone who's been around that long actually has truckloads of gold, but enough do that top-tier gear is very expensive. And those with money who PvP at twink levels drive the market for top gear throughout all levels, so it's not just a problem with endgame gear prices.

The other thing to note is that PL is really two different games. From levels 1 through about 60, a player can advance through PvE without top-of-the-line gear. I've run many characters all the way up to level cap, and I never had to spend on gear to be effective in pre-60 levels. You can basically just strap on whatever drops you luck into and still be effective enough to advance. But once you get to 60 (i.e. fang and beyond) the game takes a major turn in difficulty. Just staying alive against the souped-up 60+ mobs is difficult enough in excellent gear, let alone whatever you can scrounge up if you're too poor to buy top-tier items. This is where the rich-poor gap really creates problems.

So, the real challenge is for a new player to make enough money to be viable by the time they hit 60. If you just run a character up with no elixirs to speed along and don't spend on any gear along the way, you could expect to have a decent 6-digit sum off of what you earn along the way. It wouldn't be unusual to have about 200-300k even without getting any high-priced drops to sell (and really the only drops you could make good money on before Fang are in Nuri, where it's not unimaginable you could get lucky to get some steels or something). Now that's not going to get you any premier items, but it's enough to buy some second-tier stuff, which is enough to stay alive and try to farm out a good drop to earn money from. And of course a player could always get a daily blessing combo, which comes with the all-important luck boost to help get some purple drops or even a big score drop to sell.

All in all, I would say that although it's not easy to get a decent amount of money together as a new player in PL, it's not impossible. Just playing along through the first half of the game will yield some working cash, and being smart with that money along with some farming of items and/or gold can raise a player out of poverty pretty reliably. It does mean investing the time to either farm gold directly or hit the jackpot on a lucky drop, but having to work up the ladder to compete at the high end isn't a bad thing in my view. After all, without that as a long-term goal, I'm not sure what players would actually do in PL to hold their interest.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fusionstrike For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    365 Posts

wow always out of thanks when i see a good thread >.> i have been playing for awhile 3ish years and i have NEVER had more then 500k in gold at one time the only reason i still pvp is because i have made good friends who are willing to help out with gear

(scary,, pl*ayer, bigboo countless more) but really we need quests to give more as 10 gold really.... as how are new players supposed to buy an artisan
    leather even i can barely afford that
    nothing lasts forever

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    769 Posts

My idea on this:

There should be a few NPCs in Forest haven (and some other townes who's lvl range goes up to i don't know..say lvl35) that sell fairly good gear at low enough prices.
    These NPCs will only sell to new people who made their account and character within a certain amount of days.
    The items the NPCs sell are fairly cheap (20-200gold probably) these items are good enough to help that character survive, and do some fair damage. These items cannot be traded with other players. however, they can be traded through stash to their other alts that if the player chooses, can create and use later on.

Some of these special items can be obtained from fairly simple quests (ex: kill MeatHead 1-10 times) to get this Helm/armor/weapon and/or shield

After the set amount of days the account can be called "new" is up, the NPCs just give out daily quests that give crafting materials and gold the players can take to the FH blacksmith and craft gear.

I know this idea probably is not perfect..its just a suggestion..

Tournament & Ladder Leader XghostzX's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,204 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fusionstrike View Post
    The root of the problem is definitely a lack of a gold sink. People who have been here for 3 or more years have money just piled up to the rafters with nothing to spend it on. Sure, not everyone who's been around that long actually has truckloads of gold, but enough do that top-tier gear is very expensive. And those with money who PvP at twink levels drive the market for top gear throughout all levels, so it's not just a problem with endgame gear prices.

The other thing to note is that PL is really two different games. From levels 1 through about 60, a player can advance through PvE without top-of-the-line gear. I've run many characters all the way up to level cap, and I never had to spend on gear to be effective in pre-60 levels. You can basically just strap on whatever drops you luck into and still be effective enough to advance. But once you get to 60 (i.e. fang and beyond) the game takes a major turn in difficulty. Just staying alive against the souped-up 60+ mobs is difficult enough in excellent gear, let alone whatever you can scrounge up if you're too poor to buy top-tier items. This is where the rich-poor gap really creates problems.

So, the real challenge is for a new player to make enough money to be viable by the time they hit 60. If you just run a character up with no elixirs to speed along and don't spend on any gear along the way, you could expect to have a decent 6-digit sum off of what you earn along the way. It wouldn't be unusual to have about 200-300k even without getting any high-priced drops to sell (and really the only drops you could make good money on before Fang are in Nuri, where it's not unimaginable you could get lucky to get some steels or something). Now that's not going to get you any premier items, but it's enough to buy some second-tier stuff, which is enough to stay alive and try to farm out a good drop to earn money from. And of course a player could always get a daily blessing combo, which comes with the all-important luck boost to help get some purple drops or even a big score drop to sell.

All in all, I would say that although it's not easy to get a decent amount of money together as a new player in PL, it's not impossible. Just playing along through the first half of the game will yield some working cash, and being smart with that money along with some farming of items and/or gold can raise a player out of poverty pretty reliably. It does mean investing the time to either farm gold directly or hit the jackpot on a lucky drop, but having to work up the ladder to compete at the high end isn't a bad thing in my view. After all, without that as a long-term goal, I'm not sure what players would actually do in PL to hold their interest.
    The rich-poor gap between campaigns was a good point made.

Let me take Order and Chaos as a good example of gear and gold.

First off, the level cap is currently 70. By level 60, the amount of XP you need to level up is increased (from level 58-59) by about 10x... it could take a hella lot of time grind and do quests. From 60-61 requires about 1mill XP and to put it into perspective, you could grind for about an hour and receive only 30k XP at most. But there's an easier way to level - that's through dungeons which grant 250k xp per completed run. But in order to do these runs, you need to team up with other players of different classes. The catch? You need decent gear. So how can you get decent gear? Gold isn't that easy to get in Order and Chaos. If I were to buy "decent" gear for dungeoning through the auction house, I'd have very little leftover gold (everything is overpriced in the auction house).

At level 60, they offer quests where you literally do 20-30 different quests that reward you with gear that you need. So you get a little gold and XP along the way... but what they really set you up with is gear for leveling up with the dungeons.

Switching gears to Pocket Legends: this is what needs to be done. By the time level 60 is achieved, quests for gear needs to be in place. Unfortunately STS is never diverse with it's gear (ex. I'd like to see INT gear separated into healing and damage gear, but it's all one bundle which makes PL a lack of diversity). Regardless, there should be quests to get gear that aren't the most elite gear, but good enough to help you get through with a team.

The most elite gear in Order and Chaos cannot be bought with gold nor traded with other players. They have a unique system; when dungeoning, you obtain items after bosses. Once you pick up those items, regardless of what class they're for, they are "bound" to your character. Meaning you can't sell them for gold in the auction house or trade them (you can liquidate them for very small amounts of gold). The only items you can put in the auction house and trade with other players are items farmed through the world map and random mobs (which there are many good drops aside from dungeons.. but dungeons have the best of the best gear).

My point? All this gear is obtained through dungeoning, and in PL's case should be obtained through difficult quests. Now, that doesn't mean every single item is bound in Order and Chaos but you get the idea. Everyone has an equal chance of getting the gear. This would get rid of the gold issue, and you could spend gold on other things.
    Last edited by XghostzX; 01-08-2014 at 06:44 PM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to XghostzX For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    311 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Superduper View Post
    I quit playing PL and had 25 mil in gold and crafted/dragon sets. I still wasn't rich compared to a lot.
    That's 5x the gold I have atm

You're rich, not as rich as some, but to everyone, that amount should be considered rich.

Visit my Youtube Channel! Here--> Terrainrob's Videos of Everything

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Roberto077 For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,462 Posts

Keep in mind if something has a high pay out in low lev then that would also devalue gold over all and cause more of the same problem.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

The only reason I have a LVL 76 savage bear is due to: Blacknwild giving me a sm glyph set and 200k when I was a noob 56 with crap gear, and my <3 really good friend Deadlydescent helping and loaning/giving me 3 mil along the course of my PL journey. (He loaned 2 mil, gave like 1 mil worth in stuff). So... It is really hard for players without plat (for farming, earned about 2 mil in Mini dungeon) to be rich or even afford decent gear.. By the way I've been playing PL since September 2012 and before I met Deadlydescent in about July 2013, I had a purple fbow (won from a contest) and 150k (75k was won from the same contest). So it's really impossible for players w/o plat or REALLY nice friends to get even decent gear. Even now, I have 200 gold (not a typo) because well... I just paid off my loans and no money or no plat. When players start getting like 56-ish, the price for stuff goes WAY up. I mean, who can buy glyph? That only has money from liquidation and quests? Besides 60 big top, mimicry, and Nuri, NOBODY. This and the fact that there are so many dishonest beggars (many ppl find begging easier than grinding), I think, are contributing to the downward spiral of the PL community. Also I think that STG has been so trigger happy with the ban-gun hasn't really helped. If ya look at it, so many experienced players willing to give back to the community have gotten banned.

KK long rant, sry.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Also (double post sry) We should find a way to keep inflation in check. Right now, the only way gold gets removed is through cs and when rich players (ie. Wammm) get banned. But does that counteract the gold released by item drops and harvested each day? No. This economy is definitely inflaying, and we know that. SM sets used to cost 500-700k. Now they're 900-1 mil... I could give more examples too... Fix this pls.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Suentous PO:1416881
    Keep in mind if something has a high pay out in low lev then that would also devalue gold over all and cause more of the same problem.
    I have already made a suggestion, low level up to 50, has a max payout of 5-6k. That's the harder ones too, the easy ones like Go meet this NPC in this towne should have a less payout. But quests like kill red dragon 76 times needs a substantial payout increase.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WeLoveJesus:1416986
    Also (double post sry) We should find a way to keep inflation in check. Right now, the only way gold gets removed is through cs and when rich players (ie. Wammm) get banned. But does that counteract the gold released by item drops and harvested each day? No. This economy is definitely inflaying, and we know that. SM sets used to cost 500-700k. Now they're 900-1 mil... I could give more examples too... Fix this pls.
    Thats just how economies work. And there are plenty more ways gold is removed then just that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WeLoveJesus:1416986
    Actually if your talking about level 56 glyphs, they were worth 13m+, Obe went for 20! But when StG increased drop rates it threw the price down.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WeLoveJesus View Post
    I just wanted to point out that gold is NOT removed by CS sales. They simply shift gold from one player to another, so it's still in circulation. Unless you were referring to the listing fee, which does remove a (relatively small) amount of gold from the game. The only other ways that money actually leaves the game is by buying potions, some weak elixirs and gear from NPC vendors, all of which are nowhere near enough to match the influx of gold. PL has a rampantly-inflationary economy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

I read the thread as gold to costa Rico.
    One is too be what once couldn't of been before time let thy be what they could've been, therefore we praise Haxur.
    -Haxur bes 61 mage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by largecommand View Post
    Actually if your talking about level 56 glyphs, they were worth 13m+, Obe went for 20! But when StG increased drop rates it threw the price down.
    You would know. *cough * * cough *
    One is too be what once couldn't of been before time let thy be what they could've been, therefore we praise Haxur.
    -Haxur bes 61 mage.