Thread: The MOST effective Boss farming Mage :)

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

Default The MOST effective Boss farming Mage :)

Mages play the biggest role in boss farming, hands down...

• They buff the party.
    • They Debuff bosses up to 50%.
    • They heal and revive
    • They nuke mobs, thus clearing dungeons to bosses fast

MAIN PROBLEM: SURVIVABILITY
    Even after the update, mages struggle with survivability. Here is the best boss farming mage setup.

Dual equipted Nuke mage/Paladin:
    125 int and 128 str
    This build allows you to equipt both cosmos and rift. I'll explain how to equipt both after I explain why this is a good setup.

Being able to equipt both gears is the best thing a mage can do. Why? Because you can wear nuke mage equipments to clear dungeons fast, then you can become a paladin to survive the bosses.

Okay, now how to do equipt both of them.

Get two low level pinks for both strength and int (lvl 30-40).
    Then get Full level 45 thoth and full level 45 osiris.
    Have full cosmos and rift (wand,eye/skullshield,sunbless scimmy).

A lot of gear, I know I know, this does require a lot of money but makes you very effective in boss farming .

Okay so we are going to equipt cosmos. Equipt your two low level pink mage items. Then equipt full thoth, followed by cosmos. You can equipt keepers after the fact but you will need the wand and eye to get your int high enough to equipt it.

Now its time to equipt your paladin gear . Equipt the two low level strength items. Then equipt osiris, then rift. You can equipt the gurgux hammer without the sword and sheild because you have the higher str.

CONGRATULATIONS Your now the most efficient mage in boss farming!

P.S. If you can't afford the cosmos and rift. You can always use lesser lvl 50 pinks which are almost as good.
    Last edited by Pharcyde; 11-26-2010 at 01:01 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pharcyde View Post
    Mages play the biggest role in boss farming, hands down...

• They buff the party.
    • They Debuff bosses up to 50%.
    • They heal and revive
    • They nuke mobs, thus clearing dungeons to bosses fast

MAIN PROBLEM: SURVIVABILITY
    Even after the update, mages struggle with survivability. Here is the best boss farming mage setup.

Dual equipted Int mage/Paladin:
    125 int and 128 str
    This build allows you to equipt both cosmos and rift. I'll explain how to equipt both after I explain why this is a good setup.

Being able to equipt both gears is the best thing a mage can do. Why? Because you can wear nuke mage equipments to clear dungeons fast, then you can become a paladin to survive the bosses.

Okay, now how to do equipt both of them.

Get two low level pinks for both strength and int (lvl 30-40).
    Then get Full level 45 thoth and full level 45 osiris.
    Have full cosmos and rift (wand,eye/skullshield,sunbless scimmy).

A lot of gear, I know I know, this does require a lot of money but makes you very effective in boss farming .

Okay so we are going to equipt cosmos. Equipt your two low level pink mage items. Then equipt full thoth, followed by cosmos. You can equipt keepers after the fact but you will need the wand and eye to get your int high enough to equipt it.

Now its time to equipt your paladin gear . Equipt the two low level strength items. Then equipt osiris, then rift. You can equipt the gurgux hammer without the sword and sheild because you have the higher str.

CONGRATULATIONS Your now the most efficient mage in boss farming!

P.S. If you can't afford the cosmos and rift. You can always use lesser lvl 50 pinks which are almost as good.
    Yes, a million times yes. Lol

Hmm, in my experience I haven't bothered using the cosmos set anymore, since I'd prefer surviving after doing a full combo and getting all the aggro. I'd rather do 2 full combo's with a pally than one full combo in cosmos and die =/

I can't agree more how useful they are though :P

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ellyidol View Post
    Yes, a million times yes. Lol

Hmm, in my experience I haven't bothered using the cosmos set anymore, since I'd prefer surviving after doing a full combo and getting all the aggro. I'd rather do 2 full combo's with a pally than one full combo in cosmos and die =/

I can't agree more how useful they are though :P
    I know what you mean . I have perfected the art of surviving in int gear taking 100% aggro. But you burn through potions as horrifying rates. I love how I can nuke mobs and survive bosses with this build though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Definitely. I've learnt that if with a good bear, a cosmos + keeper build should have no problem surviving. Aggro starts off with them, and the moment you unleash all your combo's he can stomp them away. Hopefully by then they're either dead or stunned to die.

I'm a bit stingy with potions tbh, I only keep 25 max and have them refill as I do runs, which is probably why I'd prefer surviving than pot spamming :P

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ellyidol View Post
    I'm a bit stingy with potions tbh, I only keep 25 max and have them refill as I do runs, which is probably why I'd prefer surviving than pot spamming :P
    Even as a Paladin I still burn through like 100 potions on a boss farm :P. Generally I manage to get the lazy afk team that sits there for like 30 seconds after a mob is cleared. So generally while clearing the dungeon i take 100% aggro, 100% of the time. 100% aggro 100% of the time on bosses as well :P.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If they just let theHP increase everytime you level up then this wouldn't be a choice build to survive.
    Ofcourse as HP increase we need higher recovery potions too but i prefer that than splitting my stats.
    That's just me though.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pokwangx View Post
    If they just let theHP increase everytime you level up then this wouldn't be a choice build to survive.
    Ofcourse as HP increase we need higher recovery potions too but i prefer that than splitting my stats.
    That's just me though.
    H/S isnt very crucial. Say mages have do high h/s. They will still get 1-2 shotted by bosses.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

sorry to say but mage can survive much better than before already, and help everyone to stay alive not just mage's responsibility

it's how you and your teammates work together

efficient mage not just only doing debuff or buff but also doing dps in boss battle

int or int/dex mage still can do higher damage than str mage, and you just lose an advantage as being a mage

on the other hand, what boss makes you feel you have to build a str mage for survivability in ao3?

the main problem is not survivability of mage, is how you and your teammate work together

nothing personal just all my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by pokwangx View Post
    That's just me though.
    yup, you just point out one of issue that would happen later
    Quote Originally Posted by Justg
    Kids, please.
    Quote Originally Posted by rangepwnsmeel
    I look at people as equals until they give me a reason to frown upon them. Not implying that me, other PL shield winners, or any GOA think themselves to be better then other people.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

great post Pharcyde! Thank you!
    Bossulica- lvl 50 bear!
    Cyberkill - lvl 50 pally!

love my android htc Desire!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Oops should have read this before posting my new thread lol.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j46g629h View Post
    sorry to say but mage can survive much better than before already, and help everyone to stay alive not just mage's responsibility

it's how you and your teammates work together

efficient mage not just only doing debuff or buff but also doing dps in boss battle

int or int/dex mage still can do higher damage than str mage, and you just lose an advantage as being a mage

on the other hand, what boss makes you feel you have to build a str mage for survivability in ao3?

the main problem is not survivability of mage, is how you and your teammate work together

nothing personal just all my opinion.
    Thankyou for your input. I agree and disagree with some of the stuff you brought up. For instance the DPS. I have tested around with several boss farming builds. I tested pure dex with void on bosses. I would actually hit only 500 critical, and not that often. But as a int/pally build, i hit fairly high with keeper and screaming sunblessed scimmy. Dex still has the highest hit, but your likely to get destroyed in the middle of a boss battle.

Yeah boss farming is only effective as the team, not one individual. Good Boss farming groups can be hard to find, so thats why I have made this build. If your team is really bad, it is likely they will die, and if your the mage you have to run around and try not dieing while reviving. Plus there is a shortage of tanks with 1.5. I join games where its 5 mages all trying to farm bosses. Thats why being a tanking mage is so great, because now the group has a high hitting tank to kill the boss.

Also the main problem with mage is survivability. It doesn't matter if your playing with the top 4 best players in the game. There is group damage from most of the bosses. Overlord can 1 hit kill a mage with a critical nuke. Plus if he doesnt hit a critical, you wont be able to heal up all the way before his next devastating nuke comes.