Thread: Thoughts and suggestions for the new boss - Dragkin Chief

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    784 Posts

Default Thoughts and suggestions for the new boss - Dragkin Chief

Based on what I've seen in the Look Behind the Scenes thread, I had a few thoughts. Just wondering what everyone else is looking for out of next seasons end-game boss.

I like the fact that this is a female antagonist. Hopefully this will be a more dexterous boss and not the muscle bound, big, slow, one hitters like Grim and Inan.

I would prefer a constant wave of attacks with differing long range and short range attacks (some single target, some AoE) and the occasional big windups. That would require a completely different attack/defense strategy than just about any other boss in the game.

Here are my ideas for the boss's attacks:

Ranged, normal attacks:
    Thrown dragon fangs (like Stahl, 3 at a time) with a poison proc (maybe 10% of the time)
    Gale Force like AoE knock backs/knock downs which can really screw up your party's positioning
    Axe Throw like Spear and chain which pulls you closer to her (which is followed up by a Face slam or an Iron Palm combo)
    Shadow Piercer-like jumps to 2 or three targets

Melee, normal attacks:
    Something like a Windmill attack that snares you, but with the spear instead of a hammer
    Face slam - picking you up by your head and knocking you down with a stun
    Iron Palm which will knock you way, way back

AoE Windup
    Dragon Spirit - She crouches and a ghostly white dragon emerges from ground, engulfs her and flaps its wings once to create a forward facing wave of destruction

Single Target Windup
    Spear Heave - She throws the spear and a red/yellow dragon aura follows with the spear, exploding on impact

Additional Twists
    Dragon Shield - during combat, a dragon occasionally, and randomly, will appear, shield her with it's wings (making her invulnerable) and disappear after 1.5 seconds
    Dragon Curse - Occasionally (a more uncommon proc), a black smoky dragon will appear, biting you (no damage) and transferring to someone else in your party, resulting in a 5 second curse, during which time any damage you inflict upon her is redirected to the other party member.
    Perfect Timing - If specific class skills are used at the right time during the right attack/wind up (i.e., Pierce during Dragon Shield or Gale during Dragon Curse, Chest Splitter during Spear Heave) either damage is multiplied or the proc is immediately cancelled.

I would like this to be a really, really fast paced, intense sequence, that is unlike any other boss in the game and where you have to use the terrain more effectively. I would like this boss to NOT do one hit knock outs, but rather a 90% blow from Spear Heave to a max geared Sorc in elite. Basically, I would like to see speed, perhaps one attack every 1.5 seconds, so you are facing a constant barrage. Add in attack chaining for her, and the possibility of a death combo like the case of Spear and Chain > Face Slam > Dragon Spirit.

With the elimination of the typical OHKO, I think windup times should be cut in half, so you don't get as much warning (and you have to be really sharp to attain Perfect Timing). I think the stuns & knock backs with the additional twists will really force players into some new tactics beyond just the tank standing next to the boss blowing horn on occasion and Rogues & Sorcs attacking from range.

It may sound like this would be an easy boss, but with all the stuns, knock backs and the pace of her attacks, I think it would prove to be quite the contrary. You would need to pot heavily (no way to get around that). I am simply looking for a boss where by the time I am finished, I am sweating! 2 Elite Kroms at the same time do that to me, so I am looking for the same type of rush and satisfaction for this boss.

TL;DR? - Make her attack pace super fast; Eliminate the OHKO; Add in a mixture of random procs to screw up your typical party tactics; Add in some perfect timing bonuses;

What do you guys think?

AL: Kalizzaa
    Retired Officer of <Elite Runners>
    Elite Chronicles: Solo guides for elite maps - No longer maintained

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GoodSyntax For This Useful Post: