Thread: Thoughts and suggestions for the new boss - Dragkin Chief

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    784 Posts

Default Thoughts and suggestions for the new boss - Dragkin Chief

Based on what I've seen in the Look Behind the Scenes thread, I had a few thoughts. Just wondering what everyone else is looking for out of next seasons end-game boss.

I like the fact that this is a female antagonist. Hopefully this will be a more dexterous boss and not the muscle bound, big, slow, one hitters like Grim and Inan.

I would prefer a constant wave of attacks with differing long range and short range attacks (some single target, some AoE) and the occasional big windups. That would require a completely different attack/defense strategy than just about any other boss in the game.

Here are my ideas for the boss's attacks:

Ranged, normal attacks:
    Thrown dragon fangs (like Stahl, 3 at a time) with a poison proc (maybe 10% of the time)
    Gale Force like AoE knock backs/knock downs which can really screw up your party's positioning
    Axe Throw like Spear and chain which pulls you closer to her (which is followed up by a Face slam or an Iron Palm combo)
    Shadow Piercer-like jumps to 2 or three targets

Melee, normal attacks:
    Something like a Windmill attack that snares you, but with the spear instead of a hammer
    Face slam - picking you up by your head and knocking you down with a stun
    Iron Palm which will knock you way, way back

AoE Windup
    Dragon Spirit - She crouches and a ghostly white dragon emerges from ground, engulfs her and flaps its wings once to create a forward facing wave of destruction

Single Target Windup
    Spear Heave - She throws the spear and a red/yellow dragon aura follows with the spear, exploding on impact

Additional Twists
    Dragon Shield - during combat, a dragon occasionally, and randomly, will appear, shield her with it's wings (making her invulnerable) and disappear after 1.5 seconds
    Dragon Curse - Occasionally (a more uncommon proc), a black smoky dragon will appear, biting you (no damage) and transferring to someone else in your party, resulting in a 5 second curse, during which time any damage you inflict upon her is redirected to the other party member.
    Perfect Timing - If specific class skills are used at the right time during the right attack/wind up (i.e., Pierce during Dragon Shield or Gale during Dragon Curse, Chest Splitter during Spear Heave) either damage is multiplied or the proc is immediately cancelled.

I would like this to be a really, really fast paced, intense sequence, that is unlike any other boss in the game and where you have to use the terrain more effectively. I would like this boss to NOT do one hit knock outs, but rather a 90% blow from Spear Heave to a max geared Sorc in elite. Basically, I would like to see speed, perhaps one attack every 1.5 seconds, so you are facing a constant barrage. Add in attack chaining for her, and the possibility of a death combo like the case of Spear and Chain > Face Slam > Dragon Spirit.

With the elimination of the typical OHKO, I think windup times should be cut in half, so you don't get as much warning (and you have to be really sharp to attain Perfect Timing). I think the stuns & knock backs with the additional twists will really force players into some new tactics beyond just the tank standing next to the boss blowing horn on occasion and Rogues & Sorcs attacking from range.

It may sound like this would be an easy boss, but with all the stuns, knock backs and the pace of her attacks, I think it would prove to be quite the contrary. You would need to pot heavily (no way to get around that). I am simply looking for a boss where by the time I am finished, I am sweating! 2 Elite Kroms at the same time do that to me, so I am looking for the same type of rush and satisfaction for this boss.

TL;DR? - Make her attack pace super fast; Eliminate the OHKO; Add in a mixture of random procs to screw up your typical party tactics; Add in some perfect timing bonuses;

What do you guys think?

AL: Kalizzaa
    Retired Officer of <Elite Runners>
    Elite Chronicles: Solo guides for elite maps - No longer maintained

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GoodSyntax For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts

All i have to say is that she has big boobs and this might lead to a mass stermination of all male warriors who get distracted by her savage beauty.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GoodSyntax View Post
    Based on what I've seen in the Look Behind the Scenes thread, I had a few thoughts. Just wondering what everyone else is looking for out of next seasons end-game boss.

I like the fact that this is a female antagonist. Hopefully this will be a more dexterous boss and not the muscle bound, big, slow, one hitters like Grim and Inan.

I would prefer a constant wave of attacks with differing long range and short range attacks (some single target, some AoE) and the occasional big windups. That would require a completely different attack/defense strategy than just about any other boss in the game.

Here are my ideas for the boss's attacks:

Ranged, normal attacks:
    Thrown dragon fangs (like Stahl, 3 at a time) with a poison proc (maybe 10% of the time)
    Gale Force like AoE knock backs/knock downs which can really screw up your party's positioning
    Axe Throw like Spear and chain which pulls you closer to her (which is followed up by a Face slam or an Iron Palm combo)
    Shadow Piercer-like jumps to 2 or three targets

Melee, normal attacks:
    Something like a Windmill attack that snares you, but with the spear instead of a hammer
    Face slam - picking you up by your head and knocking you down with a stun
    Iron Palm which will knock you way, way back

AoE Windup
    Dragon Spirit - She crouches and a ghostly white dragon emerges from ground, engulfs her and flaps its wings once to create a forward facing wave of destruction

Single Target Windup
    Spear Heave - She throws the spear and a red/yellow dragon aura follows with the spear, exploding on impact

Additional Twists
    Dragon Shield - during combat, a dragon occasionally, and randomly, will appear, shield her with it's wings (making her invulnerable) and disappear after 1.5 seconds
    Dragon Curse - Occasionally (a more uncommon proc), a black smoky dragon will appear, biting you (no damage) and transferring to someone else in your party, resulting in a 5 second curse, during which time any damage you inflict upon her is redirected to the other party member.
    Perfect Timing - If specific class skills are used at the right time during the right attack/wind up (i.e., Pierce during Dragon Shield or Gale during Dragon Curse, Chest Splitter during Spear Heave) either damage is multiplied or the proc is immediately cancelled.

I would like this to be a really, really fast paced, intense sequence, that is unlike any other boss in the game and where you have to use the terrain more effectively. I would like this boss to NOT do one hit knock outs, but rather a 90% blow from Spear Heave to a max geared Sorc in elite. Basically, I would like to see speed, perhaps one attack every 1.5 seconds, so you are facing a constant barrage. Add in attack chaining for her, and the possibility of a death combo like the case of Spear and Chain > Face Slam > Dragon Spirit.

With the elimination of the typical OHKO, I think windup times should be cut in half, so you don't get as much warning (and you have to be really sharp to attain Perfect Timing). I think the stuns & knock backs with the additional twists will really force players into some new tactics beyond just the tank standing next to the boss blowing horn on occasion and Rogues & Sorcs attacking from range.

It may sound like this would be an easy boss, but with all the stuns, knock backs and the pace of her attacks, I think it would prove to be quite the contrary. You would need to pot heavily (no way to get around that). I am simply looking for a boss where by the time I am finished, I am sweating! 2 Elite Kroms at the same time do that to me, so I am looking for the same type of rush and satisfaction for this boss.

TL;DR? - Make her attack pace super fast; Eliminate the OHKO; Add in a mixture of random procs to screw up your typical party tactics; Add in some perfect timing bonuses;

What do you guys think?
    Keep in mind that none of this can actually happen without an oversized weapon. The weapon is the key to everything.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Instanthumor View Post
    Keep in mind that none of this can actually happen without an oversized weapon. The weapon is the key to everything.
    Well STS did make Inan's sword x3 the size of his head. Considering that this new boss will be even more powerful the weapon size should be increased to x4 the size of the boss's head

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts

Kudos and +10 Syntax. This is very well thought out post and I like it all! I s was disappointed in the difficulty in shayul compared to the last two expansions it was a cake walk. In nordr we had to think and use strategy more than any other season ( at least before they nerfed it down). If any of your ideas are implemented I will be very happy!

Retired Officer of Chivalrous Union

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kuragasi For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts

It all sounds good when you read it, but damn, 12 separate attack patterns one of which sounds like you want them to make a class combo system in order for it to be cancelled - on top of that you want attacks to come in 1.5 second intervals with stuns, knock backs?

Sounds a bit overkill for boss if you ask me, and not to mention that what you're suggesting would also have to translate to elites - and the elite boss version of this would one shot everything in the first two attacks. No one would stand a chance.
    Lvl 46 Mage - Sorcerie|Lvl 46 Rogue - Noxbolt

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    784 Posts

My point is to have high pacing and intensity, not more OHKO's, which is what we've had since Kraken.

Perfect Timing disruptions are purely bonus, not necessary to be successful. It's more of a counter attack that is class/skill specific, but in the end, probably won't affect gameplay very much because most players will be focused on survival as opposed to countering an attack.

The point is that every season, it's the same thing in elites - tank stands by boss, blowing horn and potting, Rogues and Sorcs at spamming at range.

This should be far different than the usual pew, pew, pew - oh no, boss is winding up! Run away - pew, pew, pew cycle.

If you are under constant pressure with 10-20% normal attack hits every 1.5 seconds (20-30% in elite) you cannot just set up and snipe at range, then all the previous seasons of strategy are out the window without STS having to resort to OHKO's again. Chances are pretty good that most won't be able to beat the elite boss, not because of a single overwhelming attack, but because of the non-stop barrage and speed with stuns and other disruptions mixed in. Any strategy here would require more movement, more positioning, more avoidance, grouping together in preparation for the knock back, knowing when to press an attack and when to reposition, etc. Complete opposite strategy of what you see in Shuyal today.

I want to feel elated when I beat the boss, not just a casual "aw great, another reroll for a green" comment when I win. Right now, the only map that gives me the same type of challenge is elite Undim when I am lucky enough to find two Kroms on the map. I want to be frustrated. I want to rage because I almost beat her but I was knocked back into the corner and stunned, then was hit with a windup. I don't want to beat all elite bosses the day I hit lv40 (not even 41). I want to struggle at the boss and most importantly, I want it to be high adrenaline. I mean, who actually gets a rush when killing Overgrowth? It's the same old thing, spam skills, move one step to the right, spam again, two steps left, spam, kill spawning Necromancers, repeat...

Most bosses have two windup attacks, an AoE and a frontal attack. If you introduce more attack patterns and speed up combat, it will feel more engaging....that's all.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to GoodSyntax For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts

Well if you want frustration, rage, elation, and struggle just play the mage class, lol.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sorcerie For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    784 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sirulian View Post
    Well if you want frustration, rage, elation, and struggle just play the mage class, lol.
    Ha ha! Got me there!

I don't want that much frustration :-)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts

Dev have their limits - as you can see that most bosses in AL have max 3 special abilities. I would rather prefer boss without bug and his mechanic support all three classes. Red zone can also avoided by tanks - not like frostier 360 aoe.
    Hard boss is that which required good teamwork and strategy - making boss damage high just make boss annoying and boring.
    Last edited by bhutkeyur; 01-17-2014 at 04:18 PM.
    IGN: Keyrogue, Keymagey, Grrom, Sceuetas

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GoodSyntax View Post
    Ha ha! Got me there!

I don't want that much frustration :-)
    Lol, understandable - but tbh that's one of the best things about playing the mage class. The difficulty.

You walk the razors edge of dying at a moments notice and destroying everything around you. I love it. xD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts

Mage is really easy and fun to play with good team. But yeah mages requires really good ping.
    IGN: Keyrogue, Keymagey, Grrom, Sceuetas

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    146 Posts

I like the thought/idea of a few attacks doing X% life.
    However, the downside to your overall idea is that it seems like anyone would be able to spam potions during these attacks and survive. :/

Also, in no way should that curse move be implemented. It would make a pug game absolutely awful. Think how many people STILL try attacking alpha wolf with his shield up? Or can't figure out how to effectively fight wraith heart.
    I'd rather not be getting spammed with aimed shot while on a mage. HOWEVER, I think it could still be added, but in a different way. The damage wouldn't be fully redirected, but instead each time you hit the boss, the other player would take 1-2% damage. A razor shield & dagger spam will do a lot quickly. A mage who already has time shift and just casted a frost bolt....is going to be doing lots of hurt to a teammate at 1% per tick.

Edit: I don't think that's a boss, though (or did they confirm it is later in a reply?). I think that's going to be like one of those mages that summons a group of skeletons, except this will be summoning dragons....or 'dragkins.' Or, it'll spawn with a small group of dragons already and have a ranged attack and an up close attack, as well as be able to revive slain dragons.
    Last edited by Morholt; 01-17-2014 at 04:59 PM.
    Only those who risk going past the edge will find out how far they can go.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts

1. There is a limit to the engine...

2. You can just bring that ,add those, a little bit of this, all of that, 5% of those and mix it up in the pot the soup will have a awful taste.

3. This boss will be very very very difficult and you won't even be able to apply a strategy cause you will have to costantly pot due to her fast dps and special attack effect.

4. Taken she makes a attack every 1.5 sec that means you can get: stunned, drawed towards her, poisened,cursed and pushed back all in 7.5 sec.

Thats outrageous and she isn't even the last boss.
    Rendtail might even kill you with a glance at this point.

5. Lastly all Shuyal boss require strategy. They weren't hack and slash they were purposely designed for strategy assaults.
    Though after a while due to the strategy always remaining the same players might think they don't require strategy.

BUT

a superfast boss that gives you no breathing space can still be good if she doesn't do too much damage.

That 90% dmg on a mage life should be drop to 40-50% so at least you can pot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    92 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EliteFamily View Post
    All i have to say is that she has big boobs and this might lead to a mass stermination of all male warriors who get distracted by her savage beauty.
    Lol wow...

Luminary Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    584 Posts

Nice ideas Kalizza, they make a very interesting read.

I'll suspend further comments until its confirmed this is a boss.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Alhuntrazeck For This Useful Post: