7 Posts

What can be farmed at forest haven and dark forest
    Tupaclegend lvl 62 Warrior
    proud member of C.O.T

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Jacobs cosmos are probably more used than ol cosmos, as they have the same stats and nobody really uses mirage staff for the bonus. So don't tell me they arnt wanted

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

I see more mages wearing OL than Jacobs (I wear OL myself now that I have one). I've looted several Jacobs cosmos and even had trouble selling one a couple weeks ago for 40k! Even before the CS was created, Jacobs cosmos was already down to only 50k. So I'm sorry, but I don't think you had much influence on the economy in this case.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Agreed with Lesrider - most of the price fluctuations described are due to overall changes in supply and demand and not a single trader's actions... Wraith became expensive because it was the most affected by the rush nerf, since it cannot be farmed in victory. Wings are cheap because they are no longer in demand; it used to be that you absolutely needed them to survive rushing, but now everyone needs dps so they use bows or blasters - and of course Keeper got much easier to farm.

I've done my own experiments with the market... (Yes, go ahead and hate me, see if I care. ) My experience is that if people are selling things underpriced - in the sense that there is a lot of demand for an item and people are willing to pay a lot for it - then it's possible to constantly buy out low sellers and inflate the prices. But really, you are not so much inflating the prices as bringing them to where they should be to meet the demand. After a short while the other sellers will catch up and everyone will be listing the items at the new price. And you can't push the price up indefinitely to whatever number you choose - there's a balance somewhere determined by how many people are buying and selling the item. The best you can hope for is to guess what the right number is, then buy out the occasional underpriced seller who doesn't do his research, and sell for a more realistic price.

But if there not much demand for an item, and lots of supply, it will do you no good to try to buy up all the sellers and sell the item at a very high price. Because there will always be new sellers undercutting you, and meanwhile buyers will wait for the price to go down and won't buy, and you won't be able to resell items fast enough and at a high enough price to make up for all the people you had to buy out. I've tried it, and I've seen others buy me out to try it themselves... If the demand isn't there, it won't work.

I should say, the above applies less when new items come out, or when there's an update. Then nobody knows what prices should be and it takes a while for the market to figure out where it should stand - and meanwhile everybody wants to be the first to have the new items - so there's more of an opportunity for market manipulation. But it doesn't last long until things settle and prices are back to normal again.
    Kalielle - level 56 mage | Kaley - level 55 roundup bear | Clusterstorm - level 55 rush paladin
    Quote Originally Posted by noobmigo View Post
    Clusterstorm? Pshh, he merely leads the fastest games ever.
    Pocket Legends Video Tutorial

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts

I've done a little bit of experimenting myself and I must say that controlling the market is extremely difficult.

First, you cannot be on that many hours to be sure you control all supply and pricing.

2nd, you cannot control supply. There's a lot of stuff out there and once in a while, I've seen an item that seems rare suddenly gain a whole bunch of supply that someone wants to get rid of or when suppliers think the pricing is right. Morever, it's usually not a single item since players can use alternative items. You must control those as well. When a particular pink is too expensive, you will see corresponding pinks and purples, and sometimes greens, gain value as well, as some people figure out they do not need that super expensive item (yet).

Third, changes in the game will change your market. So when players are rebalanced or when the new Balefort stuff went in.

I think affecting the market is possible in limited circumstances, but you can also lose a lot of money trying

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

True, I've noticed its extremely hard to try and be a capitalist in this market. The only opportunity I can see is being able to make money with a small margin. Buy out the gear, price them maybe 10k more.

Sure its still "inflating" or controlling the market, but its at a higher price that isn't really much of a difference (aside from cheap cheap items of course). Making 10k might not be much, but if you were able to buyout 10-20 items and reprice them for 10k more, thats 100-200k if all are sold quick. I just don't like the risk though, the game isn't stable enough yet to even try to think about doing this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pharcyde View Post
    anything is possible. Runescape people controlled flax. Which is a massive market.

Flax dropped.. never went up lmao... Its so bottable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is probably one of the most interesting threads I've read so far. Kudos.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyrce View Post
    I've done a little bit of experimenting myself and I must say that controlling the market is extremely difficult.

First, you cannot be on that many hours to be sure you control all supply and pricing.

2nd, you cannot control supply. There's a lot of stuff out there and once in a while, I've seen an item that seems rare suddenly gain a whole bunch of supply that someone wants to get rid of or when suppliers think the pricing is right. Morever, it's usually not a single item since players can use alternative items. You must control those as well. When a particular pink is too expensive, you will see corresponding pinks and purples, and sometimes greens, gain value as well, as some people figure out they do not need that super expensive item (yet).

Third, changes in the game will change your market. So when players are rebalanced or when the new Balefort stuff went in.

I think affecting the market is possible in limited circumstances, but you can also lose a lot of money trying
    It could certainly be possible with a large group of people (maybe 5-6) all working to increase the price of a single item. Once they have acquired nearly all of that item the price that it can be sold for is completely up to them. Essentially, you are creating a monopoly.
    Last edited by Winternight; 11-27-2010 at 07:50 PM.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TwinkTastical View Post
    Flax dropped.. never went up lmao... Its so bottable.
    Lol when the Grand Exchange came out. I don't play anymore and havent a long time so i dont know how it is now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

The main thing controlling the market right now was the nerf. All bosses are now easy. Keeper items like the wing used to be 5-600k. Now that he's easy to kill, everyone has wings to sell, so it's down to 125k. The only item that isn't dropping quickly in price is the Wraith (and to some extent the other two armors as well).

I think the nerf killed the fun and the economy.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lesrider View Post
    The only item that isn't dropping quickly in price is the Wraith (and to some extent the other two armors as well).

I think the nerf killed the fun and the economy.
    Not many people farm for Wraith. In Victory Lap everyone usually goes to keeper, and completely forgets about the wraith dropping boss.

Plus how many people do you see hosting captive audience? not many.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Not many people farm for Wraith. In Victory Lap everyone usually goes to keeper, and completely forgets about the wraith dropping boss.

That's because Wraith doesnt drop in Victory Lap. And now more people are doing captive audience. I don't, but I know several people who do. But it takes longer to do than victory lap, so again, wraiths are the only thing that's not really dropping in price.

Keeper used to be challenging, so not everyone killed him on every run (present company included). But everything's so easy now, I kill all bosses except tpaxx each round. And everyone usually starts with keeper now, so void wings are raining from the sky.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts

i always see "many" ppl farming Captive... i do it too sometimes... u can do a round in like 5min and the wraith or OL rift is not soooo rare as ppl may think.. i saw drop a lot of them.. most ppl need it for themselfs so it never lands in shop... but last i saw 5 wraiths i shop, yesterday one for 650k, thats nor much more then the rift armor..
    - PL - Founder and proud C.O.T. officer
    RicciTS > DEX Bird L77 | Ricci > INT Mage L76 | XCarver> STR/DEX Bear L71
    and many more....