Thread: How to balance the Mage class without making it over powered (OP)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Default How to balance the Mage class without making it over powered (OP)

Hey there, my name is freakoutt, and i play as a lvl27 sorceror. Recently, i have been challenging "the best" of each class (rogues and warriors) as i am considered as the top mage at this lvl bracket. I would compete in 1v1s against these characters and have come to the conclusion that mages are at a HUGE disadvantage.

The reason so is that a top mage has NO chance beating an average tank if they use juggernaut ability. This is because without a mages shield active, they are "squishy" even against there own class, and will die within 2-4 seconds against any class. When facing a rogue, a mage will either be "combo'd" (aimed shot /shadow peircer) or the rogue will just outlast their shield and finish them off once it drops.

I have come to the conclusion that a mages chance to stun on fireball and lightning needs to be increased as this is the only way a mage can have a chance to win against each class. If this could not be done, then i believe the stun chance on pets like grimm and clyde should be increased. This woupd bring back the stunlock opportunity without needing samael as a pet for a reliable stun.

One question you may be thinking is..

How would this help in a 1v1 circumstance?

Mage vs Warrior:

Based on what a i have observed from my own fights, if i can get a tank below 35% before their first shield then i will kill them 80% of the time. BUT this is when a rule of NO JUGGERNAUT is applied! The main challenge is actually getting their health low. This is almost impossible without getting a stun from my pet (grimm) which is almost never.
    So by increasing stun, it will be more fair in both 1v1.and and PVP in general.

Mage vs Rogue:

So, when a mage has a 1v1 against a rogue, what will tend to happen is the rogue outlasts the mages shield, then unloads on them and win. I believe that if there was a higher chance to stunlock, then it would severely balance the two classes! An alternative solution would be to make it so rogues don't crit every shot against a mage (shield or no shield).

In conclusion, by doing this, you would actually increase the amount of mage PVP players andalso the rate of mages participating in 1v1's.

On another note, if you decide to come to lvl 26 pvp message me and i will help with builds for all classes. etc. I am the guild master of new guild <Decimation> and i believe we are already #1 guild at this level. Cheers
    Last edited by freakoutt; 01-28-2014 at 01:23 AM. Reason: incorrect word

2. The Following User Says Thank You to freakoutt For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

At this lv bracket many guilds claimed that they #1 haha

Send using my cellphone.. yes my cellphone

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts

I found that vs tanks are impossible, same as endgame. But there is a way to beat rogues, use 5 skills bud (no hotkeys, of course). Either Shield, Fire, Ice, Lightning, and Heal; or Shield, Curse, Ice, Lightning, and Heal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Instanthumor View Post
    I found that vs tanks are impossible, same as endgame. But there is a way to beat rogues, use 5 skills bud (no hotkeys, of course). Either Shield, Fire, Ice, Lightning, and Heal; or Shield, Curse, Ice, Lightning, and Heal.
    Yeah i agree!!! for you to be able to beat a rouge, use 3 attack skill, shield and heal (but i prefer not to use 5th skill,heal, for rouges). much better to use fire light ice. or if you can drop timeshift or know how to use timeshift properly then this will be devastating skill for rouges.
    I tried using 3 attack skills with my lvl 23 mage and the outcome is very good in 1v1 though i find hard to fight while you're in a gang fight (i mean 3 vs you) without curse but you can kill very fast with this build F,L,I,S. Just back up your skills with stunner pet!!!

With regards to warriors:
    an average mage cannot defeat an average warrior same as pro mage cannot defeat pro warrior.
    ZWAPPER
    Strengthen by defeat

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Non hook rogues are easy to demolish with 80-100% hp but the main problem is rogues with hooks and glacian/samael. Ok so lets be honest i can beat half of these rogues no problem, but few other mages can.. Two reasons, they either don't have the damage to kill them (using curse/lightning) or don't have the health to endure the massive crits. At lvl27 i have 2750hp and 267.8dmg (no grand gems) with malison summoned. You'd expect, having a shield and lightning giving 250% crit, i could easily beat a hook rogue. But i think the real problem is that in order for a mage to even crit, they need dexterity for crit. But this would lower their str and health by a lot and also make their shield weaker. It seems as if the best mage has no chance vs the best rogue no matter what they do.

Oh and i have tried the 5 skills but didn't like it as switching takes a long time on my device so i am dead by the time i get back to the fight D:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    506 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by freakoutt View Post
    Non hook rogues are easy to demolish with 80-100% hp but the main problem is rogues with hooks and glacian/samael. Ok so lets be honest i can beat half of these rogues no problem, but few other mages can.. Two reasons, they either don't have the damage to kill them (using curse/lightning) or don't have the health to endure the massive crits. At lvl27 i have 2750hp and 267.8dmg (no grand gems) with malison summoned. You'd expect, having a shield and lightning giving 250% crit, i could easily beat a hook rogue. But i think the real problem is that in order for a mage to even crit, they need dexterity for crit. But this would lower their str and health by a lot and also make their shield weaker. It seems as if the best mage has no chance vs the best rogue no matter what they do.

Oh and i have tried the 5 skills but didn't like it as switching takes a long time on my device so i am dead by the time i get back to the fight D:
    Oh lvl26-27

Im sorry to say, but after several buffs on the rogue nefarious hooks you should have 0 chance against a rogue with it. Its an arcane weapon eventually.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Everything is still possible, even if you only got 1% chance. Luck factor makes a huge diffrence too.

Hey freak its me stunlocks. Hit me up in game ill tell you some inputs and tricks. Hope it will works. Nice to know you rules there at 26s :3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Haligali View Post
    Oh lvl26-27

Im sorry to say, but after several buffs on the rogue nefarious hooks you should have 0 chance against a rogue with it. Its an arcane weapon eventually.
    That's not true. I (non-mythic) killed a rogue with glac and hooks in a 1v1 fight multiple times. Though I never tried hooks and Sam, but I know beating hooks are possible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

The main problem that I've recently had is that the hook rogues have 300+ dmg at 26 and although im the highest str mage at this lvl, they can easily break my shield.. maybe that could be an improvement?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts

Hehe. What's up freak?

I have a mage at 24 as well, use 3 attack skills also. Vs warriors is literally impossible unless they are just a noob. Your shield times out and you're a goner. Also mage heal sucks. What a joke. Some awful 40% heal that has 15sec cooldown? Oh yay it gives mana. Whoop-de-doo. As if I don't have 3k already..

Vs any hooks rogue would be pretty impossible I'd think. Especially hooks proc..it will reduce your armor even further (as if it's not low already).

Some things about your post though..lightning is chance stun, but I thought FB was 100% stun.. The reason stunlock doesn't work is because of stun immunity (I believe it lasts 10 seconds). Not very many pets have a reliable panic IMO..orion never stuns, dunno about clyde.

And @InstantHumor are you a mage? If you're a rogue or warrior, it's certainly possible. As a full legendary rogue, I am able to kill many hook rogues. There's only a few I can't, most especially Fai..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by UndeadJudge View Post
    And @InstantHumor are you a mage? If you're a rogue or warrior, it's certainly possible. As a full legendary rogue, I am able to kill many hook rogues. There's only a few I can't, most especially Fai..
    I used to twink on my mage, before I leveled him up, so I am quite aware about this.

Did I forget to mention, that you must always use INT/STR items... INT/DEX gives a damage boost, but lacks STR points. With more STR points, your shield will last longer and be able to absorb more damage, allowing yourself more survivability against other players. IMO ~15 dmg < Survivability.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Yes i am very aware of this (hence why only hook rogues can beat me) i have 400 int 100 str and 65 dex, dex being made up by passives myth helm and tarlok armor. Hehe hey judge, oh and one point on why hooks rogues beat me? Because even with shield active, a combo will do 40-50% dmg on me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Yea great point judge the heal should be boosted based on amount of health you have also i get only 50% from it but in relation to fireball stun, i mean it should be more common.. eg everything 3rd fireball
    Last edited by freakoutt; 01-28-2014 at 09:46 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts

Yup, you get stun immnity after you stun for 10 seconds. That's why fb won't always stun. I don't think this is the case with panic however.