Thread: Elite Chronicles: Rogues Guide To Elite Oltgar Keep

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    784 Posts

Default Elite Chronicles: Rogues Guide To Elite Oltgar Keep

In this map, we face off with our friend Frostir for three items, Entombed Hammers, Vixen Eggs and Elite Golden Warchests (EGWs).

Elite Oltgar is one of a handful of bread-and-butter maps where you can form a PUG (Pick Up Group) quickly. This is a fun map to run with a good party, but as I have shown in my other guides from this series, solo strategy is very different. What makes this especially challenging are the environmentals (namely those darn ice patches), and the high DMG mobs which can push, slow or freeze you. If not run properly, even pro's can be overwhelmed, so this strategy if effective to keep you alive and to minimize pot consumption.

As with most maps from Kraken and beyond, patience, resets and range are the keys to success. Personally, I haven't found the NoxBox strategy to be particularly effective here. Nordr, with the added challenge of freezes and snares, makes solo runs especially challenging, so be patient, and don't try to take on too much. Boarding the struggle bus is no fun and ultimately, not profitable.

To start, we want to aggro only the first three melee mobs. Be patient and wait for a few moments if the archer and Snaggletooth are close enough to the three that they could get aggroed accidentally. These first three should be easy to dispose of, just drop smoke and spam away. These melee mobs don't hit particularly hard and their attacks are very slow.

Name:  Frostir1.jpg
Views: 878
Size:  279.3 KB

Proceed forward and aggro the archer. Many times, you will accidentally aggro the Snaggletooth as well. If this is the case, focus on the piggie first, as his AoE freeze attack is super annoying, and at this point of the map, you aren't very concerned with the pushback by the archer. Pushback will become a concern as it can push you right into an ice patch, and then, you're a sitting duck if there are too many mobs nearby.

Name:  Frostir2.jpg
Views: 911
Size:  275.9 KB

As you proceed forward to the first circle, there are a few archers and a bunch of Snaggletooths that spawn. The best strategy here is to use a purposeful reset, to separate the archers from the piggies. I have noticed that the melee mobs have a deeper reset point than the Snaggletooths, so aggro the entire group and back-peddle about one or two steps before the first ice patch. This seems to be the reset point for the pigges, leaving you with just the archers and possibly a melee mob.

Name:  Frostir3.jpg
Views: 863
Size:  293.7 KB

Once you have taken care of the archer and melee mobs, return to the circle and aggro the group of piggies. Personally, I move back to a cleared space, so I don't accidentally Pierce into an ice patch. Being frozen for a few seconds typically means either dozens of HP pots wasted, or death - neither work for me, so when you can, use a clear space.

Name:  Frostir5.jpg
Views: 929
Size:  267.2 KB

Now that we have cleared the first circle, turn right, and using your skill range, aggro just the archer. Back up a step or two, because you don't want to aggro the melee mobs ahead at the second circle.

Name:  Frostir7.jpg
Views: 949
Size:  308.2 KB

Standing all alone is a single melee mob, again, use your range to aggro him, them back peddle to ensure you don't accidentally fire off an errant arrow that could attract unwanted attention.

Name:  Frostir8.jpg
Views: 911
Size:  305.1 KB

This is the part of the map where patience is key. There is one archer and two melee mobs up ahead. Wait for them to wander into a position where one melee mob is isolated, so you can attack at range. Once you have his attention, go back into a cleared area to finish him off.

Name:  Frostir9.jpg
Views: 924
Size:  298.0 KB

Rinse and repeat for the next melee as well. Be patient, the archer will wander away eventually, leaving you a chance to go one vs. one...advantage:Rogue.

Name:  Frostir10.jpg
Views: 956
Size:  276.1 KB

Now, we will be handling the heavily armored archer. Again, wait for him to wander into an open area before you get his attention. Once you have him aggroed, pull him into a clear space well away from the three sleeping mobs.

Name:  Frostir13.jpg
Views: 813
Size:  278.6 KB
    Name:  Frostir14.jpg
Views: 913
Size:  316.2 KB

To finish clearing out the second circle, we have to take on all three of the sleeping mobs at once. A reset strategy could work here, but my preference is to focus on one archer at a time since they are lightly armored, and then turn my attention to the melee.

Name:  Frostir15.jpg
Views: 861
Size:  325.6 KB

With the second circle cleared, we proceed to the first of the two most challenging choke points - the third circle. My approach here is to get just barely into bow shot and aggro one or two piggies at a time. Fire off a single shot (don't follow with a second attack just yet) and retreat to the corner where the Oltgar Chamber sign sits. This is a reset point, so if you feel you attracted too much attention, take a couple of steps back to reset.

Name:  Frostir16.jpg
Views: 870
Size:  304.5 KB

Keep repeating this strategy until you have disposed of all the Snaggletooth spawns. At this point, you will get a giant Glacian creature to spawn. Patience....wait until he is isolated before you aggro him. Once again, retreat back to the corner where the Oltgar Chamber sign is.

Name:  Frostir18.jpg
Views: 878
Size:  300.3 KB
    Name:  Frostir19.jpg
Views: 889
Size:  315.3 KB

With most of the mobs cleared, now you can attract the attention of the last remaining piggie and the armored archer. Stay close to the wall here because if you go around the corner, you may draw the attention of additional archers.

Name:  Frostir20.jpg
Views: 892
Size:  304.9 KB

Third circle cleared, we proceed onward to the fourth and most challenging section. Using the same strategy, isolate one archer at a time, attack at range and draw him away from the other archer.

Name:  Frostir21.jpg
Views: 824
Size:  311.5 KB

Repeat the same strategy for the second archer.

Name:  Frostir22.jpg
Views: 941
Size:  310.4 KB

This is where things get fun. At this point, go towards the sleeping archers and wait for the Snaggletooths to spawn. Fire off an arrow and run back to the cleared space by the third circle's corner. This serves as the reset point for melee mobs, which will leave you with one, two or three archers. I can't find a consistent spot where the three archers stay and the piggies reset, but, just repeat this process until you have cleared out the archers - they are the primary threat right now.

Name:  Frostir23.jpg
Views: 840
Size:  311.9 KB
    Name:  Frostir25.jpg
Views: 856
Size:  310.6 KB

Now, we have two piggies and two melee mobs remaining. You have two choices here. You can either face them head-on, or you can run around the circle Noxing them. The choice is up to you. In this case, I took them head on, focusing on the piggies first because their freeze attack annoys me.

Name:  Frostir26.jpg
Views: 841
Size:  310.5 KB

With all four circles cleared, we can now proceed directly to the boss:

Name:  Frostir27.jpg
Views: 879
Size:  311.5 KB
    Name:  Frostir28.jpg
Views: 867
Size:  329.1 KB

Once you get to where Frostir spawns, run to the corner near the doorway. All of the other mobs will reset except for one Glacian creature. After you kill the last Glacian, Frostir will spawn.

Name:  Frostir29.jpg
Views: 884
Size:  315.8 KB

At first Frostir is relatively easy. His attacks don't occur that frequently and he doesn't hit particlarly hard. Feel free to take him head on until he enrages (you will notice that he starts glowing red when he enrages).

Name:  Frostir30.jpg
Views: 825
Size:  319.3 KB

Once enraged, Frostir's attacks come fast and hit hard. Start kiting him, using your range as much as possible. One note regarding his AoE windup, if you stand one step directly behind him, this is a safe zone. Don't forget to swap out to your Leprechaun Pendant when you see him winding up with his long range attack. Finish him off and collect the loot!

Name:  Frostir31.jpg
Views: 804
Size:  303.3 KB

Don't pay much attention to the pot consumption or the elapsed time in these screenies; Most of the damage I took was in getting good screen shots of the reset points, which I had to stage quite a few times - leading to unnecessary pot burn. A reasonable expectation here is about a 10-12 minute run with about 100-120 HP and Mana pots used. You can certainly cut down the time to 8 minutes or so by tackling larger groups at a time, but that results in more pot burn, so that's kind of the trade-off here, time or pots.

Good luck runners, and feel free to swing by and drop off an Entombed Hammer or a handful of EGWs :-)

AL: Kalizzaa
    Retired Officer of <Elite Runners>
    Elite Chronicles: Solo guides for elite maps - No longer maintained

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GoodSyntax For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts

Well put together brother, nice going!
    The Collective - Toa Aiga

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Zuzeq For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Ahh I like that, needing some elite golden warchests should help

Level 41 Rouge
    A Proud <Chosen> Member

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    78 Posts

awesome guide again.
    can u plz make a guide for elite inan? not for solo rogue bt for a party

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    784 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by utpal View Post
    awesome guide again.
    My entire series of Elite Chronicles are about solo strategies. I'll see if I can put together a soloing guide for elite Inan, but I don't know if there really is a strategy there, so I cannot make any promises.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    784 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by utpal View Post
    awesome guide again.
    I put together some commentary on Elite Inan here....http://www.spacetimestudios.com/show...=1#post1486530

I will need to do about a dozen solo runs before I can write up a guide on it, but with the delay on the expansion, I now have the time...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    78 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GoodSyntax View Post
    I put together some commentary on Elite Inan here....http://www.spacetimestudios.com/show...=1#post1486530

I will need to do about a dozen solo runs before I can write up a guide on it, but with the delay on the expansion, I now have the time...
    thanx for the guide. I wonder how a party finished in 3mins LOL