Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Tournament & Ladder Leader XghostzX's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,204 Posts

Default A modest proposal for gear/stats/etc for End Game

I was about to reply in a thread and decided I should make my own post about it... please read through this entire thread before responding.

So in end game PvE/PvP, each class has two sets of weapons to choose from. Strength users can choose from a sword & shield or a 2h smoldering boulder; INT users can choose from a wand/bracer or a staff; Dex users can choose from a talon/shield or a bow.

A little background information before my proposal:

A big reason why some classes can outcompete other classes unfairly is because PL doesn't have a system where gear is class-specific. Any class can choose any type of gear, so long as it meets the attribute points and level. HOWEVER, we can see that as long as you're using the "OP" set, you're practically invincible. When everyone is "invincibile", nobody truly is. Because nobody is truly "invincible" then it diminishes skill and team play over time. Hate to break it to you guys, but our community has absolutely no skill and understanding of the game mechanics because we just spam our skills and run into action. People hardly know how to play their class respectively.

So... here's what I propose.

Each class has two sets of weapons, right? There are two important factors to this proposal.

1. Both sets (1h vs. 2h weapons) focus on either OFFENSIVE capabilities or DEFENSIVE capabilities.
    2. Weapons designed for class provided boosts/upgrades/etc. for the specific class(es).

Let's begin with 1.

I think this game would be a lot more fun and diverse if STS made use of the underpowered weapons. For instance, we have these sweet smoldering boulders for STR users, but nobody uses them because they're useless stat-wise! Why can't we adjust the stats on them to balance out with the other weapons?

To narrow it down for STS... or for the matter of more simplicity, each set of weapons should focus on 3 stats and lack the rest.

STR users 2h weapons advantages (Smoldering boulder): Damage, Skill Damage, Critical
    STR users 1h weapon advantages (Sword+shield): Armor, Dodge, HP/HP regen

INT users 2h weapons (a staff): Damage, Crit, Skill Damage
    INT users 1h weapons (Wand+bracer): Armor, Health points, Mana points/Mana regen <-- encourages a support class = more team play

DEX users 2h weapons (Bow): Damage, Crit, Skill damage
    DEX users 1h weapons( (Talon+Shield): Dodge, Armor, Hit Percent

Obviously all the classes will be balanced properly according to what class you're actually playing (a bear's STR 2h gear will always grant more armor than a mages 2h gear... role of classes).

*The next part of my suggestion to end game sets (and all sets) is COMPLETELY NECESSARY. Without this part of the idea, everything written above is completely useless.*

It's really cool that PL allows players to use different gear regardless of their class. But this then promotes HUGE inflations of prices for gear, lack of diversity, lack of teamplay, etc. I guarantee 85% of end game uses the STR sets... it's absurd - no other community is like this.

SOLUTION: Provide incentives for using your class specific gear. What do I mean by this?

Bare with me here:

As a mage, I would side towards buying a savage set. How can we prevent this? INT gear needs to provide separate stats that grant boosts/perks for the mages specific skills. For example, if I buy a int gear, then my spell called "Lightning Storm" will do +45 damage. MAKE PLAYERS TEMPTED TO USE THEIR CLASSES GEAR. That, however, does NOT mean players have to choose their class specific gear. It just promotes more diversity and more teamplay.

Other examples of this "incentive" method on gear:

A.) If you're a Rhino or a Bear, using (insert STR equipment) will increase your duration of "Stone Armor" or "Iron Blood" by 3 seconds.
    B.) If you're a Fox or a Bird, using (insert DEX equipment) will increase the spell "Rapid Bite" or "Blast Shot" by +30 damage.
    C. If you're a mage, using (insert INT equipment) will increase the range of all debuffs by 2m.

INCENTIVES. People will use the gear that makes their class as OP as possible. Make people forced to master their skills rather than the gear. This promotes better gameplay, fewer excuses, and an overall positive side to the game.

I kind of threw this together, so please ask questions or add ideas below. I know STS won't make many changes in the near future, but this is just for thought.
    Last edited by XghostzX; 03-17-2014 at 10:42 PM.

2. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to XghostzX For This Useful Post: