Thread: Question about agro

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Default Question about agro

Tanking new elites is a great challenge. I have had some trouble keeping agro on specific mobs and have heard some of these mobs just ignore taunt. Not sure if this is true but I'd like to hear some feedback from other tanks out there on how they maintain agro of mobs in particular. I have been using the environment to bottleneck mobs where I can but I am seriously considering picking up CS for an additional taunt to replace SS. My typical routine to establish agro is as follow: (Depending on mob type I may start with charged Jugg). Ill run in and do SS then windmill followed by heal then SS windmill SS heal repeat. I try to time my heal and windmill after this to keep agro or regain agro when needed. I will also use jugg if needed or for taunt. Please comments, applause, disagreements, whatever. Thanks!

And if your going for the elite egg ap don't underestimate holding agro on that annoying healer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    150 Posts

it takes practice sometimes

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

this game is not well design for high lvl of playing... (unlike wow) like aggro system is not clear and dps is the best way to hold aggro so far... when your aggro skill is up it will be ok but when they finish mobs will go back to its own target... in normal you need a well played mage to CC mobs so dps can kill mob one by one(which is hard cuz random targeting)
    when i tank, i just try to hold aggro as long as i can,(first 15sec?) after i just use hor to keep party healed...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    528 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by toughenn View Post
    this game is not well design for high lvl of playing... (unlike wow) like aggro system is not clear and dps is the best way to hold aggro so far... when your aggro skill is up it will be ok but when they finish mobs will go back to its own target... in normal you need a well played mage to CC mobs so dps can kill mob one by one(which is hard cuz random targeting)
    when i tank, i just try to hold aggro as long as i can,(first 15sec?) after i just use hor to keep party healed...
    Factors in holding aggro: (as far as I know)

1) distance between you and the mobs (why rogues need to use traps).

2) taunting skills (obvious).

3) overall damage dealt to them (Why I am an advocate of VB).

4) being the most recent person to attack them (spam basic attack to regain aggro from outlying archer that a rogue or mage takes the attention of. "Tapping" them with WM by making a small circle upon cast also works. Ideally the mages use ice to immobilize the archers and you can just ignore them. Unfortunately mages usually freeze the healers. Point for the mages: any mons with short range attacks generally deal lower damage and are always easier to maintain the attention of than ranged ones.)

5) being the first to attack them (this is why I open with WM when charging a group of mobs).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    411 Posts

use 4 agro skills

what i use in elite now

- jugg - wm- cs- hor
    all has taunts ,
    -jugg taunts for 8 s, every 1.5s i believe
    - cs - just tap the skill no need to charge
    - wm - i usually just tap it also taunts many mobs
    - hor - the obvious

if u have no dmg.. no point using venge u wont hold agro by ur "damage"

Don't waste my time, don't waste yours

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    528 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by inkredble View Post
    use 4 agro skills

what i use in elite now

- jugg - wm- cs- hor
    all has taunts ,
    -jugg taunts for 8 s, every 1.5s i believe
    - cs - just tap the skill no need to charge
    - wm - i usually just tap it also taunts many mobs
    - hor - the obvious

if u have no dmg.. no point using venge u wont hold agro by ur "damage"
    Really, then how do rogues steal and hold aggro so easily? Test a run with VB and then one with jugg (no taunt so data isn't skewed). That should be proof enough.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Crowsfoot View Post
    Really, then how do rogues steal and hold aggro so easily? Test a run with VB and then one with jugg (no taunt so data isn't skewed). That should be proof enough.
    I think what he meant is if your basic dmg/dps is low dont bother using VB to boost your dmg to keep agro, because even with VB helps your dmg is still low and cannot keep agro, so its better to use other skill with taunting ability instead.

But if your basic dmg/dps is high enough to keep agro on you, you can use VB to help you furthermore.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    73 Posts

Using taunt skill without taunt upgrade and say it isnīt good tanking skill?
    Rogue steel aggro from one mob, because they have huge one target dmg, really much more than warrior with whatever

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    528 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jirikjurasek View Post
    Using taunt skill without taunt upgrade and say it isnīt good tanking skill?
    Rogue steel aggro from one mob, because they have huge one target dmg, really much more than warrior with whatever
    Firstly, please rephrase the bolded portion of your post. I do not understand what you are saying.

VB buffs +25% damage, +25% crit, and +50 str. While active, a warrior deals damage near that of a legendary rogue (maybe myth armor) assuming the warrior isn't using a sword and shield weapon. I would strongly suggest VB for tanking if you are using a shield, rely on pure taunt. If you are using a magmatic claymor, entombed hammer, or architect sword. The reason off tanking works is gear. I have said, and obviously must remind you since you tear my build aparteven though it is effective and i always admit yours is functional without reason and in the most obnoxiously condecending wa possible, that players should spec around thei gear. Iam an advocate of offtanking in AL since damage is a factor in not only aggro (which it is, no mattr how much you whine) but also the heal from HoR.

Healing is the best tactic, IMO, for elite since warriors cannot hold 100% aggro unlike other games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Firstly, please rephrase the bolded portion of your post. I do not understand what you are saying.

VB buffs +25% damage, +25% crit, and +50 str. While active, a warrior deals damage near that of a legendary rogue (maybe myth armor) assuming the warrior isn't using a sword and shield weapon. I would strongly suggest VB for tanking if you are using a shield, rely on pure taunt. If you are using a magmatic claymor, entombed hammer, or architect sword. The reason off tanking works is gear. I have said, and obviously must remind you since you tear my build aparteven though it is effective and i always admit yours is functional without reason and in the most obnoxiously condecending wa possible, that players should spec around thei gear. Iam an advocate of offtanking in AL since damage is a factor in not only aggro (which it is, no mattr how much you whine) but also the heal from HoR.

Healing is the best tactic, IMO, for elite since warriors cannot hold 100% aggro unlike other games.
    Maybe he can keep the aggro with no sweat because the dmg of his party below his dmg which is close to not having any dmg at all? I just dont see the logic of not having dmg when in fact someone stated that dmg is one of the considerable factors in getting aggro.