Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Offensive Names

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got used to report dirty IGN now. With Report button it's even easier, but I send a mail to devs to explain why this IGN is bad because I mainly report french dirty IGN as it's my mother tongue... I will continue to work on this, it is inacceptable...

So choose your IGN wisely...
    I need a signature... What boss drop it ? Is it pink ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

I boot people from my games that have names I don't like. I will start reporting really offensive names as well. I think it's really immature for people to make up these kinds of names.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

www.mudkipz.ws do not visit this site
    Google ftw

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So my question is; Where does the censorship end? In no way am I at all against keeping the game clean for the oh so wonderful children(whom are responsible for 90% of offensive names), but where is the line? Am I missing something in the fine print? 'no names pertaining to or containing symbols, numbers, four letter words starting with F, God, gender, afros, repulsive canadian singers, greasy jersey shore stars, spoons. In other words, names that CAN be found offensive by a certain party.' HYPOTHETICALLY speaking, if I were to create a character named "xYOURF4Tx" or "GodHatsKids7" is this considered offensive to the wonderful children/+ and - sized community and permaban material?

PL is rated for 9+ not "children of all ages" as I have seen in prior posts. This game demonstrates violence in a animated fashion, thus allowing children to relate to the VIOLENCE. It appears that some seem to think children live in boxes and have pure minds these days. oh jeez public school must be a parent's worst nightmare.

IGN's should not be renamed, if given a second chance IMO. Changing someone's name literally defeats the entire purpose for playing mmo's and rpg's, might as well take their thumbs while you are at it. Accounts containing characters with offensive names should have an alloted time limit to resubmit a new name that is to be screened and cleared by the devs first. If the problem persists than a permaban should be exercised. Aka, give the snotnosed goofballs a second chance to grow up or gtho. Some may say "omgzzz that would take forever." yeah, so does lvling a char to 50 only to be banned.

I love the hades out of this game, and ultimately I support any and all decisions made by STS, but there is a difference between trying to keep the game clean, and silly people going out of their way to report everything that they find "offensive."
    Last edited by JustDenny; 12-21-2010 at 06:14 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In this thread we cry about names. I mean really it's just words. I believe children now a days hear worse in their everyday life, and if they understand what those words mean then it's nothing new to them. Yea if it's trully offensive then it probably shouldn't be allowed, but to make a big deal over it? My in game character is named Tulsgib, and if that's too offensive then people need to get off the internet because they are way over sensitive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I know one good reason to leave the vulgar names…
    I can place the idiot 12yr olds on ignore before they have a chance to change their name….It singles them out for me

I don’t want anything to do with some fool who would even consider naming his toon “itouchkids”!
    Snub (65) Full Dex Archer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why name it so inappropriately,, when u can find some better ones? I mean you can even generate the random names rather than have to think about it for an hour
    PURE NUKE. DO NOT GO TO www.mudkipz.ws.
    mrpredalien 50 Pure Mage
    avpaddictor 50 Pure Mage
    mspredalien 50 Pure Avian

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Good luck catching them, I'll work on reporting them too.

Check Out My Guild's Website: http://club-estraz.blogspot.com/
    *Private message me if you want to join the most rewarding and organized guild ever!
    MEMBERS: 90, ACTIVE MEMBERS: 87, MEMBERS WITH WARNINGS: 1

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

one questoin who names ther toon cun*/Users/andrewvetter/Desktop/images-10.jpeg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

One time this guy walked in my game name cuardsucks It might have been a friend or eneymy im not shure

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I blocked someone on my first day whose name was nothing but the F word with several u's added. It's like, do they really think they're going to get away with that? I didn't know how to report at the time, but hopefully someone else did
    Treunadaz - Lvl 27 | Mage [Created 12/12/10]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

oh god I found a nasty one which if I say
    will probably get me banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just going to point this out, from my experience with previous games, I tend to see that most of the people defending the use of offensive names are the ones using them (who would have guessed it). Not to say that if you are defending them that you are using them, but there's a good possibility.

On another note, what I think STS is trying to do is keep this game a Family Friendly game. They want everybody to be able to enjoy themselves in a responsible manner. The whole "Well the kids here worse at school what's the big deal?" argument is completely without support. So because a child is possibly being negatively influenced elsewhere means they are ruined from that point on? Why should they be further influenced?

And maybe it's the lack of sleep but I thought I also saw an argument over how if it made it through the filter it must have been okay (If I'm imagining things well it tends to pop up eventually so lets go ahead and put that flame out now). Creating a variation of a filtered word (such as adding extra letters or simply changing one letter to another, flipping letters, etc.) is no different than entering the word itself. You are still representing a word that STS has shown that they do not want used.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Seratonin View Post
    And what do you think would happen if a kid playing saw that guy come into his game, and something horrible had happened to him, even though he is out of that situation(hopefully) How then do you think that would make that one person feel? It's not about kissing up or brown-nosing, it's about ethics and hostile environment. Honestly, if some young kid saw a guy playing a char named something vulgar, they would ask questions, or use the term. It's an imprint... It's just like sexual harrassment in the workplace... It's not about how you think your name should be taken, it's all about how others take it. If you get reported for having a vulgar name because you can't think of something so easy as a name for a fantasy character, or you just thought it would be cute or funny, then you deserve it. There is no excuse to be putting ignorant vulgar crap in front of everyone. None whatsoever. That's why there is a random name generator. If you can't think of something that's not vulgar or rude for a name, then use it.

It's not about how you feel about it, it's how others feel about it. Plain and simple. If you don't like it, then you should also understand that every character, and every name in the game, and all of the items and gold, ALL OF IT, is the personal property of Spacetime Studios. That's how it is in ANY MMORPG. You don't "own" any of it, they are letting you play the game. It is a joy to have a game that can be played on almost any platform now, and to have 10 or 20 people making rude, offensive names to ruin the experience for the rest of the players should never be allowed. Driving customers off is not a good way to stay in business. Keeping the masses happy is more important than what some immature idiot's point of view on how their name should be taken.
    you used my name
    My Name is Vulgarstrike, SilentCries, Ordinary, Attractive, Investment
    Quote Originally Posted by Redbridge View Post
    you should be able to have some fun
    Quote Originally Posted by DawnInfinity View Post
    Ahhhhhh