Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Guide: The Mage Kills The Maul! Part II

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts

Default Guide: The Mage Kills The Maul! Part II

Hello fellow squishy mages! It has come upon me that my other guide ( http://www.spacetimestudios.com/show...Kills-The-Maul! ) has been a bit outdated! This thread will be an updated version of that thread.

Build:

4/5 Shield - Without the knockback upgrade
    4/5 Lightning - Without the Electrical Discharge (PvE) upgrade
    3/5 Frost - With the Jagged Ice and Shiver upgrades (DoT and increased freeze/slow upgrades)
    4/5 Fireball - Without the increased range upgrade
    3/5 Lifegiver - With the mana upgrade and the HP regen upgrade

5/5 INT
    5/5 STR
    5/5 DEX
    5/5 Crit
    Adjust the build to your preference (this is just a guide), and put the remaining skill points in Durable.
    Note: The above passives should be mandatory. If you, for whatever reason, do not have enough skill points for your passives, you are doing something wrong.

Make sure you have 140 STR points. 140 STR is an ideal number. Make sure you have 140 STR and put the rest of your stat points in INT (note I am stressing 140 STR). You should have 140 STR and 90 DEX (with an Expedition Rifle of Brutality) or 140 STR and 120 DEX (with a Ker'shal Scepter). I have yet to compare with a mythic staff, but I honestly think that mages have more capability vsing warriors with guns (can't wait to try the new mythic gun)!
    If you like the knockback upgrade on the Arcane Shield, by all means, use it at your will. To me, it doesn't have a noticeable impact on my gameplay (warriors have enough range anyways) so I do not use the upgrade.
    I've recently grown to like the stun upgrade on Lightning. That upgrade is a game changer. It saves your life at times, and it makes you win at other times. Also, when the Fireball stun misses (happens frequently), I know that I can rely on something else. I realize that it only has a meager 25% chance to stun, but it is indeed worth it.
    I, personally, use the Increased Range upgrade on Fireball because I do other things besides 1v1 all day long, but if you are devoted to 1v1's, you do not need increased range.
    The mana upgrade on Lifegiver is optional. It is not a necessity. However, I do find the HP regen upgrade pretty dang useful. It's been underrated all this time, but it feels as if you have 2 Samaels accompanying you (assuming you're using a Samael to begin with), and the heal is noticeable.

Gear:

The ideal gear would be full mythic, Ker'shal Scepter, and a Samael. That would be most ideal (excluding arcane ring). However, for majority of you that cannot afford a Ker'shal Scepter, the mythic Orbital Staff (or Halloween Scythe) or an Expedition Rifle of Brutality would be satisfactory along with upgraded mythic helm and armor, mythic ring, and Lunar pendant. Remember, 100+ HP > 3 dmg, Expedition Rifle of Brutality > Expedition Rifle of Assault. In my other thread, I said the Tarlok amulet of brutality would work well, however, a mere 100 HP isn’t going to make a big difference compared to the crit bonus from Lunar.

Pets:

The ideal pet for vsing a warrior would be Samael. The crit bonus, panic arcane ability, and panic passive attack is all you need in a pet. The ONLY other pet that I would highly recommend using is Shadowlurk. You do not realize how OP this pet is. With an Expedition Rifle, I can one-combo arcane ring-rogues no problem (ain't that right, Parf). The only downside to this pet is that it does not stun. However, you have stun from Fireball, Lightning, and charged DPS attack (from rifle), so that should not be a problem. Shadowlurk gives +20% damage and +20% crit for 5 seconds on its arcane ability. That's enough for 2 charged Lightnings. Now, you might be thinking, oh whoop-de-doo, however, 2 Lightning crits with 20% damage bonus would be mildly OP and drain quite some HP off a warrior. For 1v1's I would rank Shadowlurk as the #2 best pet (behind Samael). Yes, that's right. Shadowlurk would work better than Singe and any other pets in a 1v1 (in my opinion) against any other class. Singe, Brothers Whims, Slag, etc. are all decent pets, however they all lack one thing. Crit. Crit is essential in any 1v1 fight. No crits = death unless you get an insanely lucky stun. You need crit, which is why I think highly of Shadowlurk.
    Note: As you can see above, I do not use any Damage passives. This is because most pets I use already give damage boost from either their happiness bonus or their arcane ability i.e. Samael's 10% damage on happiness bonus and Shadowlurk's 10% damage on happiness bonus + 20% damage on arcane ability (which do not stack). I do not know all the exact details about the passive system, etc., but I do know that when equipped with a pet like Samael or Shadowlurk, their damage bonus overrides the passive damage bonus which makes the passive damage bonus useless (waste of skill points).

The Fight:

For your skills, start with Shield, Lightning, Ice, and Fireball (order preferred by user). At the “Go”, tap Shadowlurk’s arcane ability. It is a playing preference, but I always charge Fireball first, followed by charged Lightning, and tapped Ice (unless you’re pretty sure you got the winning combo, then tapping skills would be permissible). Repeat this combo again until your HP reaches about 20-35% (40% to be extra safe). Charge Shield and quickly switch skills. Go to your skill map page and swap Shield with Lifegiver. Then charge Lifegiver and repeat the combo. IF the warrior lays a lucky stun before right before you shield yourself, let’s just say it’s GG for you. Simply die, respawn, and try again. Always charge Lifegiver, you need that additional HP. Always try to keep your distance from the warrior. The warrior’s DPS attacks are all short ranged, so by keeping your distance, you take less damage from the warrior. Not only that, but you can evade certain procs and skills. You can evade the Magmatic Claymore’s proc which deals DoT to you (it hurts), Maul’s stun and armor debuff (the warrior will get the +60 STR increase anyways, but evading the everlasting stun and armor debuff will help you), and Chest Splitter (which some warriors use). If you are using Samael, be sure to stay inside of its healing aura at the same time as keeping your distance. Keep repeating the combo until Lifegiver’s cooldown is finished. If everything goes according to plan and if you are using the right build, you shouldn’t have died yet. Charge Lifegiver and quickly switch skills. Swap Lifegiver to Shield, which, by this time should have finished its cooldown. Activate your shield. At this point of time, the warrior’s Juggernaut skill should have ended. THIS is the time you take advantage of the situation and pray for crits and stuns. This is a crucial moment. After you activate your shield, you probably won’t have enough time to wait for Lifegiver’s cooldown to finish so you can use it again, because this is the time where the warrior will kill you if you do not kill him/her first (especially if you are going with an Expedition Rifle). This is where the warrior must go down.
    Note: Try not to fire any skills during the two seconds of invulnerability from HoR. By doing this, you are doing nothing except wasting cooldown time. Look carefully when the warrior activates their Jugg. During this time, do not use DoT attacks (Fireball or Ice) for they will only heal the warrior. Only charge Lightning during this time and you may have a chance to crit through their Jugg.
    Note: Unless you have an arcane ring or any other good reason, do not activate shield at the very beginning of the duel. If you do activate your shield in the beginning, after your shield runs out, and Lifegiver is on cooldown, you’re food. You do not have enough survivability to tank another 15 seconds for your second Lifegiver.
    Note: The strategy here is to out-tank the tank AND dish insane damage at the same time. You must pray you crit every single Lightning (if you don’t, that’s ok, but it helps a lot as Lightning is your #1 source of damage).
    Note: Don’t forget to charge your Expedition Rifle from time to time. Charged gun will stun the target (when the target is not under stun immunity). With Ker’shal, all you can do is spam uncharged DPS. It does not matter whether it hits the warrior or not, but you want that proc. The extra stat bonus helps a lot (and so does the +10 mana regen).

How to kill a warrior in less than 5 seconds:

This is mostly effective in TDM or random warrior flaggers, when they are not prepared for you attack. Charge Fireball (stuns), charge Lightning, tap Ice. Shortly after, Fireball’s stun will wear off and this is when you activate Samael’s arcane ability. It stuns the warrior again, and you have time for another combo. Chances are, you crit most of your combo due to your high crit chance, and the warrior will die. It works almost every single time for me (when Samael works) against claymore users and maulers (I have yet to try a glaive).

I do realize that after the new client update, STS is going to do something about skill swapping. We do not know what they have in mind yet, however, it will impact the mage class most, and upset the class balance even more. Against a warrior, the ideal skill set-up would be Shield, Lightning, Fireball, and Lifegiver, if we have to limit it to four skills. Warriors won’t be able to use 5-6 skills either, so we may benefit one way from this. To be honest, the mage class is a screwed up class, I do not know what to say about us sometimes. In the end, mages CAN beat tanks. You just need to know your combos, timings, and your environment. It takes time to master skill switching and time to know what you are doing. Practice, practice, and practice. If you want to know how to switch skills UNDER 1 SECOND (on mobile or tablet), feel free to PM me, I'm not going to announce it to the world. And if you are friendly about it, I would be more than obliged to help you. Thank you for taking your time to read this thread, and I wish you luck against your next warrior

*Thread subject to update over time*

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Instanthumor For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    259 Posts

You should've just made a guide "The Mage Kills The Maul!Part II: 4Skill build". Knowing that sts will implement something that disallowed "switching". Anyways, its good thing to see threads like this to help the "underclass" Smurfs. In my views, sorc can never kill a decent tanks by himself.
    I hope sts will do something to improve sorcs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts

Agreed with cero about improvement on mage..
    But Yes it can kill War, depends on movement, skills, and strategy..

For warrior or rogue, you can kill with calm down,
    For mage, panic while red alert on screen X_X

Switching skills? Maybe usefull but while at duel mode, don't like this thing, I appreciate sportive fighting by using 4 skills only hehehe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cero View Post
    You should've just made a guide "The Mage Kills The Maul!Part II: 4Skill build". Knowing that sts will implement something that disallowed "switching".
    I quit before that happens.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    259 Posts

Lies, what will happen to your sam? Lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kreasadriii View Post

Switching skills? Maybe usefull but while at duel mode, don't like this thing, I appreciate sportive fighting by using 4 skills only hehehe
    Hate to break it to you, but 95% of endgame warriors use 5-6 skills. If you choose to use 4 skills, that's your choice, but you're at the disadvantage. What is the objective of a duel? To win, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Cero View Post
    Lies, what will happen to your sam? Lol
    Who knows.

If it were up to me, I'd give everyone 5 (or 6) skill slots. Or, give mages 6 skill slots, warriors 5 skill slots, and rogues 4 skill slots. Anything to help the God forsaken class balance.
    Last edited by Instanthumor; 05-14-2014 at 03:29 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Instanthumor For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts

This whole taking away skill switching thing screams BUFF ROGUES to me. Honestly, here's what happens.

4 skill warriors need to give up an attack skill, which is DEVASTATING to their capabilities. I mean realistically, how do you expect a 1 damage skill warrior to kill anything? Obviously they need horn and vb, and in most cases, especially at endgame, jugg is necessary if you don't wanna get blown in 2 shots by 4k crits.

4 skill mages? Here's what happens with 4 skill mages (from experience)

*Mage runs up to warrior*
    *Mage spams attack skills (fire/light)*
    *Warrior stands there and laughs while the Mage decides to poke some more*
    *Mage tries for 5 minutes and runs out of mana*
    *Warrior 2 shots Mage with no shield*

And for rogues? We just run around killing everything in sight while other classes can't kill us due to fewer attack skills. Heck, rogues can own with only 3 attack skill anyway.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to UndeadJudge For This Useful Post:

Luminary Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    584 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by UndeadJudge View Post
    This whole taking away skill switching thing screams BUFF ROGUES to me. Honestly, here's what happens.

4 skill warriors need to give up an attack skill, which is DEVASTATING to their capabilities. I mean realistically, how do you expect a 1 damage skill warrior to kill anything? Obviously they need horn and vb, and in most cases, especially at endgame, jugg is necessary if you don't wanna get blown in 2 shots by 4k crits.

And for rogues? We just run around killing everything in sight while other classes can't kill us due to fewer attack skills. Heck, rogues can own with only 3 attack skill anyway.
    Yeah, it'll severely nerf mages and warriors in 1v1s. Don't see much impact in 5v5's though, and that's how its meant to be right?

Advice for you if they remove skill switching? If a rogue challenges you to a 1v1, ignore him/her.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    124 Posts

Good guide to read!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Froxanthar For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts

First of all, removing the ability to switch skills is not buffing rogues. It is just nerfing warriors and mages (bigger nerf to the mages).

As warriors, you have an option. You do not need to give up an attack skill. Give up VB instead. Spec'ing a little INT won't hurt at all. Using mana pets won't hurt either i.e. Valkin, Samael. Try it out.

I appreciate your concerns and what not, but please, this is a thread discussing mage duels against warriors. Feel free to discuss your irrelevant opinions elsewhere, thank you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alhuntrazeck View Post
    Yeah, it'll severely nerf mages and warriors in 1v1s. Don't see much impact in 5v5's though, and that's how its meant to be right?

Advice for you if they remove skill switching? If a rogue challenges you to a 1v1, ignore him/her.
    Technically I could still rogue duel, but I just wouldn't be able to use heal. Although, it's kind of impractical, since in group fighting, heal can be useful for rogues, and generally helps survival in between fights.

So the problem is more vs warrior than rogue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Instanthumor View Post
    First of all, removing the ability to switch skills is not buffing rogues. It is just nerfing warriors and mages (bigger nerf to the mages).

As warriors, you have an option. You do not need to give up an attack skill. Give up VB instead. Spec'ing a little INT won't hurt at all. Using mana pets won't hurt either i.e. Valkin, Samael. Try it out.

I appreciate your concerns and what not, but please, this is a thread discussing mage duels against warriors. Feel free to discuss your irrelevant opinions elsewhere, thank you.
    Well if you nerf warriors and mages, it's no different than buffing rogues. No need to get technical with the definitions of buff and nerf.

Warrior without vb? It's exactly my point - you have to give up damage output for survivablility. As a rogue back in 27, it was impossible for a warrior to kill me without their vb active unless they stunlocked with ss and samael. Damage was just too low.

I see you misunderstood the whole point of my post, so I'll say again : damage < survivablility. Mages get wrecked when skill swapping gets 'fixed' because the damage output without 3 attack skills is just too low.

Also as alhunt said, it won't affect clashes that much. Mages are pretty deadly on clashes anyway. You would still be able to run 3 attack skills and give up heal in a clash, since warriors will be healing you.

So please take the time to re-read my post before you say something like that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

no more skill swaping. no more skill swaping!!! will drive everyone nuts. let's see the noobs then
    ~I'm dreaming while writing. See the above result~

18. The Following User Says Thank You to andreim For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

Awesome guide Mr humor. I love guides like this that help out the lil blue guys

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Primeblades For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts

For end game yes we choose more skills. But for duel I don't think switching skills is a sportive way.
    Slot skills make more unbalance class, if you put 6 skills to mage its sounds underestimated to mage, if wanna win from another perspective, try another class

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts

Well if you nerf warriors and mages, it's no different than buffing rogues. No need to get technical with the definitions of buff and nerf.

Warrior without vb? It's exactly my point - you have to give up damage output for survivablility. As a rogue back in 27, it was impossible for a warrior to kill me without their vb active unless they stunlocked with ss and samael. Damage was just too low.

I see you misunderstood the whole point of my post, so I'll say again : damage < survivablility. Mages get wrecked when skill swapping gets 'fixed' because the damage output without 3 attack skills is just too low.

Also as alhunt said, it won't affect clashes that much. Mages are pretty deadly on clashes anyway. You would still be able to run 3 attack skills and give up heal in a clash, since warriors will be healing you.

So please take the time to re-read my post before you say something like that.

Sorry, a nerf to one class does not mean that there is a direct buff to another class. It just doesn't work that way.

What's wrong with giving up VB? IMO, it's better than giving up SS or Axe. You can't compare twink data with endgame data. There's no correspondence at all.

I did not misunderstand the point of your post. There was no point in your posts. Remember, you can have 100k armor and 500k HP, but if you have 0.1 damage, there's nothing you can do. Damage < survivability only to a certain extent.

Mages are not deadly in clashes. Rogues are MUCH more deadly. The only good mages do in clashes is Curse. Otherwise, he/she is only wasting a rogue's spot.

Please, I asked you this before, and I'm going to ask you this again. Please get off the thread. You may delete your irrelevant posts as well. Thank you very much. I appreciate your cooperation.

Quote Originally Posted by andreim View Post
    no more skill swaping. no more skill swaping!!! will drive everyone nuts. let's see the noobs then
    Quote Originally Posted by Kreasadriii View Post
    For end game yes we choose more skills. But for duel I don't think switching skills is a sportive way.
    Slot skills make more unbalance class, if you put 6 skills to mage its sounds underestimated to mage, if wanna win from another perspective, try another class
    Realize this. Skill swapping is an option. You do not need to swap skills. If you think skill swapping exhibits bad sportsmanship, you do not need to do it.

@Kreasadriii I have another class. Don't make yourself sound stupid.
    Last edited by Instanthumor; 05-16-2014 at 02:58 AM.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Instanthumor For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts

I'm just give my opinion, be calm ^^

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Kreasadriii For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Instanthumor View Post
    Sorry, a nerf to one class does not mean that there is a direct buff to another class. It just doesn't work that way.

What's wrong with giving up VB? IMO, it's better than giving up SS or Axe. You can't compare twink data with endgame data. There's no correspondence at all.

I did not misunderstand the point of your post. There was no point in your posts. Remember, you can have 100k armor and 500k HP, but if you have 0.1 damage, there's nothing you can do. Damage < survivability only to a certain extent.

Mages are not deadly in clashes. Rogues are MUCH more deadly. The only good mages do in clashes is Curse. Otherwise, he/she is only wasting a rogue's spot.

Please, I asked you this before, and I'm going to ask you this again. Please get off the thread. You may delete your irrelevant posts as well. Thank you very much. I appreciate your cooperation.

Realize this. Skill swapping is an option. You do not need to swap skills. If you think skill swapping exhibits bad sportsmanship, you do not need to do it.

@Kreasadriii I have another class. Don't make yourself sound stupid.
    First off - does it seriously matter whether both classes get nerfed? The point is that rogues become stronge even harder to kill.

And again, mages ARE deadly in 5v5s, I actually just won a 4v5 a few hours ago on my curse mage with another curse mage. Curse is deadly in 5v5s, for the most part.

Additionally, why on earth would you compare to such an extreme situation? Obviously if I had 500k hp and 100 armor I'd be useless in a 1v1 situation (not in a clash though). But thats never going to happen in the game XD

I'm not even talking about endgame, in fact I could care less about endgame since I find PvP there somewhat boring. I'm talking about my experience, not necessarily comparing with yours...

Sheesh dude, just chill. No need to insult or be rude, especially on your on thread.

27.   This is the last Dev post in this thread.   #19
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    240 Posts

There's some good discussion going on here, just keep it nice guys.
    | | | |

Need help? Please visit our Support Website at http://support.spacetimestudios.com

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Arpluvial For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

As for skill switching, they should just make it so you cannot switch out a skill while it is in cool down. You have to wait until that skill is cooled down before you can switch it out.

As for balance, that is another issue entirely. The classes should be balanced without having to rely on skill switching, and this may take STS some further time to sort out, since switching skills has given them a false sense of class balance.

For example, warriors may not be quite as good as they have been. Since warrior skills have the longest cool downs, they will probably be most affected by this change, which I think we all agree will help class balance. But mages will also be affected. So we will have to see.

My suggestion for addressing the issue of class balance is to play with skill cool down times, not the skills themselves, and not damage amounts. So for example, if STS determines that mages have issues against warriors, but not against rogues, then they should ask themselves what skills do mages use against warriors that they do not use against rogues? Answer would be lifegiver. So maybe lower the cool down on lifegiver by a few seconds. I just give that as an example, but that is how class balance should be addressed. If rogues are causing too much damage too quickly, then maybe their cool downs on some of their skills should be raised.

It would be nice if we reach a point where a 1-on-1 battle is pretty even regardless of class, and is more dependent on gear and skill. The best mage should be able to beat the best warrior 50% of the time. And the best warrior should be able to beat the best rogue 50% of the time. And the best rogue should be able to beat the best mage 50% of the time.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Energizeric For This Useful Post: