Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fireball or Ice? For elite maps..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts

Default Fireball or Ice? For elite maps..

Please, share your experience and knowledge also give ur own opinion..
    Need your advise guys..
    Active Skills that may be I take for my end lvl mage:
    - Shield
    - Clock
    - Lightning
    - _______ << should I take fireball or ice?
    - I don't see curse in elite maps anymore since many mage use it for PvP

And in harder elite maps such as shuyal, nordr, and tindirin,
    Does fireball (charged skill) can stunt elite mobs and elite bosses? Can Ice (charged skill) freeze elite mobs and elite bosses?
    If can't, why? So curse more better than fireball and ice for harder elite maps?

Sorry many question, every comment very helpful to me ^^
    Thanks!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Ice Frozbold xD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts

If you really need to pick between fire and ice, then pick fire for more crowd control. If not, it is better to have a 5 skill build (fire, ice, clock, shield for mobs & fire, ice, light and shield for boss. Curse is not helpful in elite maps because of the long cooldown and it is not doing much damage. It is better to have 3-4 attack skills in pve. Fireball can stun elite mobs but not all (like in the elite tindirin maps, it can't stun the shaman, healer, snakes, etc). It doesn't stun elite bosses too. Ice can freeze elite mobs as well but not all (ex. shaman, etc). It also doesn't freeze elite bosses.
    Raymonddr (SORCERER) / Raymonddrjr (ROGUE) / Raymondjdr (WARRIOR)
    Member of ELITE RUNNERS
    RETIRED for now...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts

So if I prefer take this skills build:
    - Fireball (without reduce hit enemies)
    - Ice (don't remember about ice upgraded)
    - Clock (without explode bomb)
    - Shield (without displacement wave)
    - Lightning (without stunt)

Correct me if I made a mistake skills choosen, hehehe
    how about the sub-skills upgrade?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts

Hmm. I only put 3 points in ice but can't remember what is the other upgrade that i didn't put. About light, i only use 3, without the lightning discharge. If you do a lot of km3, then use that upgrade. If you do a lot of elite tindirin maps, i suggest don't use that upgrade.
    Raymonddr (SORCERER) / Raymonddrjr (ROGUE) / Raymondjdr (WARRIOR)
    Member of ELITE RUNNERS
    RETIRED for now...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Raymond05 For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    656 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kreasadriii View Post
    Please, share your experience and knowledge also give ur own opinion..
    Need your advise guys..
    Active Skills that may be I take for my end lvl mage:
    - Shield
    - Clock
    - Lightning
    - _______ << should I take fireball or ice?
    - I don't see curse in elite maps anymore since many mage use it for PvP

And in harder elite maps such as shuyal, nordr, and tindirin,
    Does fireball (charged skill) can stunt elite mobs and elite bosses? Can Ice (charged skill) freeze elite mobs and elite bosses?
    If can't, why? So curse more better than fireball and ice for harder elite maps?

Sorry many question, every comment very helpful to me ^^
    Thanks!!
    Strictly PvE, you'll have a better time running five skills.

Counting the skill unlock as 1:

• Fireball [1, 2, 3, 4, 5]
    • Frost Bolt [1, 3, 4]
    • Time Shift [1, 2, 4, 5]
    • Arcane Shield [1, 2, 4, 5]
    • Lighting Strike [1, 2, 4]

Fireball doesn't stun some of the harder mobs (brown komodos, green serpents and green trolls) on the latest campaign's elite maps and neither does frost bolt but they still deal amazing damage over time and help slowing them down by snaring to give you time until your drop the next time shift. Specifically, frost bolt is great for neutralizing the healing shamans which are a big trouble in elites (their red zones can one shot any non-warriors and their group healing recovers 20% HP of all surrounding mobs).

And yes, you don't want curse or heal anywhere near your build if you only do PvE. In passives:

• 5/5 Might

• 5/5 Intelligence

• 5/5 Damage (do not take this one if you are mostly using a pet with exta damage % in the happiness bonus eg. Slag, Shadowlurk, Flap Jack). If that's the case, use both of the below.

• 5/5 Agility (optional for extra HP --25 DEX only adds only 0.63% crit-- and can be swapped with:

• 5/5 Critical Rate (your crit as legendary sorcerer should be ~20%).

As for pets, the list below goes from lower to higher priced pets. Price doesn't always reflect the quality though, for example Ribbit is an excellent choice for any sorcerer:

• Ethyl
    • Ribbit
    • Orion
    • Malison
    • Crawly
    • Clyde
    • Haze
    • Slag
    Last edited by Madnex; 05-21-2014 at 12:28 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Madnex For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,016 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Madnex View Post
    [*]5/5 Intelligence [*]5/5 Damage[*]5/5 Agility (optional for extra HP --25 DEX only adds only 0.63% crit-- and can be swapped with:[*] -5/5 Critical Rate (your crit as legendary sorcerer should be ~20%).[/LIST]
    No to this. You should not put any points in damage because damage does not stack and is factored by the single highest highest modifier that you have. Adding 5/5 DMG only gives you an extra 5% dmg and all pets or lix have a higher amount than 5% so the dmg passive points are useless.

Click here to view the thread on this topic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    656 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Candylicks View Post
    No to this. You should not put any points in damage because damage does not stack and is factored by the single highest highest modifier that you have. Adding 5/5 DMG only gives you an extra 5% dmg and all pets or lix have a higher amount than 5% so the dmg passive points are useless.

Click here to view the thread on this topic.
    I was there and I know, the suggested build has slight alterations to be the best legendary sorcerer's build. Thanks for note though, I'll add it on the original post.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,016 Posts

I was there and I know, the suggested build has slight alterations to be the best legendary sorcerer's build. Thanks for note though, I'll add it on the original post.
    You can be naked and it's still a total waste of points to put anything in DMG passive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    656 Posts

You can be naked and it's still a total waste of points to put anything in DMG passive.
    I'm afraid that's incorrect. Using a pet like Ribbit, Clyde, Crawly or Orion (all excellent PvE sorcerer pets) while having 5/5 on damage passive gives an impressive boost of approximately 20-25 more damage, considering the average legendary sorcerer's damage at the moment.

Again, this is strictly PvE and for the legendary rarity tier. Damage passive is not always useless; don't demonize it just because of the general uproar after that discovery on damage buffs not stacking.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,016 Posts

I'm afraid that's incorrect. Using a pet like Ribbit, Clyde, Crawly or Orion (all excellent PvE sorcerer pets) while having 5/5 on damage passive gives an impressive boost of approximately 20-25 more damage, considering the average legendary sorcerer's damage at the moment.

Again, this is strictly PvE and for the legendary rarity tier. Damage passive is not always useless; don't demonize it just because of the general uproar after that discovery on damage buffs not stacking.
    Originally Posted by null_void View Post
    You are both correct. The way that the current multiplier system works depends on the statistic being multiplied. In the case of damage specifically, we apply the following rules:

- Is there one or more debuff? If so, use the lowest damage multiplier (for example, if you have a 0.5 damage multiplier debuff and a 0.25 damage multiplier debuff, this would result in a multiplier of 0.25).
    - Otherwise, is there one or more buff? If so, use the highest damage multiplier (for example, if you have a 1.05 damage multiplier buff and a 1.25 damage multiplier buff, this would result in a multiplier of 1.25).

Because of this, yes. If you have a passive skill with a 1.05 multiplier (5/5 skill), and you also have a pet out that gives you a 1.15 multiplier, your total damage multiplier will be 1.15.

There are a few things that override this - bonus damage, double damage weekends and such interact with the statistic system differently from the normal multipliers, so they don't use this logic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts

Originally Posted by null_void View Post
    You are both correct. The way that the current multiplier system works depends on the statistic being multiplied. In the case of damage specifically, we apply the following rules:

- Is there one or more debuff? If so, use the lowest damage multiplier (for example, if you have a 0.5 damage multiplier debuff and a 0.25 damage multiplier debuff, this would result in a multiplier of 0.25).
    - Otherwise, is there one or more buff? If so, use the highest damage multiplier (for example, if you have a 1.05 damage multiplier buff and a 1.25 damage multiplier buff, this would result in a multiplier of 1.25).

Because of this, yes. If you have a passive skill with a 1.05 multiplier (5/5 skill), and you also have a pet out that gives you a 1.15 multiplier, your total damage multiplier will be 1.15.

There are a few things that override this - bonus damage, double damage weekends and such interact with the statistic system differently from the normal multipliers, so they don't use this logic.
    Both are right. But how often are you going to use a pet that isn't a Dmg % boosting pet? And the fact that most of the new pets that are released have some attribute with a Dmg % modifier. From a PvE perspective, it is useless.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    656 Posts

There are two possibilities I see for your response:

1)You have no clue that the pets I listed offer no damage bonus; it's cool, you're probably using just one mythic pet without rotating so ignoring the lesser rarity pets' stats is to be expected.

2)You haven't grasped exactly how damage buffs function since you're making a referrence that doesn't really disprove any of my points.

In any case, I advise you to go back and look at the statistics because you're probably confusing people here over nothing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,016 Posts

There are two possibilities I see for your response:

1)You have no clue that the pets I listed offer no damage bonus; it's cool, you're probably using just one mythic pet without rotating so ignoring the lesser rarity pets' stats is to be expected.

2)You haven't grasped exactly how damage buffs function since you're making a referrence that doesn't really disprove any of my points.

In any case, I advise you to go back and look at the statistics because you're probably confusing people here over nothing.
    Don't be goob.

Let me look at the pets because you *may* have a point with 1. I just never really used a non-dmg pet in rotation (except Ribbit @ boss).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    656 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by keikali View Post
    Both are right. But how often are you going to use a pet that isn't a Dmg % boosting pet? And the fact that most of the new pets that are released have some attribute with a Dmg % modifier. From a PvE perspective, it is useless.
    Thy also wrong, smurf nab. The OP is mainly twinking as L27 warrior so he's new to end game sorcerer, therefore it's more probable that he's using one of the pets I mentioned.

And while it's true that a large portion of pets offer a damage bonus, it doesn't justify crossing out passive damage as useless in PvE.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,016 Posts

Ribbit- No dmg %
    Orion- 16% dmg
    Clyde- No dmg %
    Haze- 10% Dmg
    Slag- 12% Dmg
    ______

Okay so if you were to use Clyde or Ribbit as pets in rotation, while they were equipped your dmg would reduce. I stand corrected to Mad.
    _______

However, to the OP. I would still not use any dmg points. You can use : Orion (16%Dmg), Abaddon (15% Dmg), Grimm (12% Dmg), Ethyl (10% Dmg), Kettle (10% Dmg), Shadowlurk (10% Dmg), Haze (10% Dmg)... Most pets a mage normally use have a Dmg that overrides the 5% your passive damage gives.

Hope this helps and being a mage is fun, we all have our own *best way to mage*. Being blue certainly isn't easy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts

I think for the most part, the damage passive usually gets overridden more often than not by the various buffs in the game that are almost always available. between elixirs, pets, various skill buffs and pet AA's that everyone uses (including Orions 10% damage buff), it makes better use of the passive points if they were applied elsewhere like critical, that helps buff most of the skills that the OP will be using anyways. Its a lot easier to buff damage in the game than to buff your critical.

So, while both passives are beneficial, it might be the better option to select critical passive over damage passive in the long run.
    <The Collective> Retired Warrior/Born Again Rogue

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    656 Posts

Attachment 88939
    If Orion offered 16% damage, that'd be one hell of an overpowered legendary pet lol. Its arcane ability boosts damage by 10%.. for three seconds. Maximum damage buff from pet is Abaddon's 15%, as far as I know.

Critical is an overrated passive. That 5% is far from a game-changer and the difference with or without it won't be as noticeable as 20 damage in end game. It falls in the same category of dumb number-copy that we see in many parts of the game like in achievements (10k PvE kills - 10k PvP kills - 10k god damned flags).

The sole reason critical rate passive should be used is to help reaching specific critical rate plateaus like 20%, 25% and 30% - anything in between is skill points unwisely spent.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts

Attachment 88939
    If Orion offered 16% damage, that'd be one hell of an overpowered legendary pet lol. Its arcane ability boosts damage by 10%.. for three seconds. Maximum damage buff from pet is Abaddon's 15%, as far as I know.

Critical is an overrated passive. That 5% is far from a game-changer and the difference with or without it won't be as noticeable as 20 damage in end game. It falls in the same category of dumb number-copy that we see in many parts of the game like in achievements (10k PvE kills - 10k PvP kills - 10k god damned flags).

The sole reason critical rate passive should be used is to help reaching specific critical rate plateaus like 20%, 25% and 30% - anything in between is skill points unwisely spent.
    Those 5 points don't have to be put into Crit, but it is still better spent in other places, whether another Passive (lolnoneleft) or another Active Skill(s). I mean how often would you run without a Pet? You can buy an Ethyl for like what? 5K nowadays? and get some whopping crit, dmg and other stat modifiers along with a nice Slow AA. Like Hector mentioned, nowadays it is very easy to grab ahold of a buff that would easily overwrite your 5% damage passives.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts

Orion's AA actually lasts 6 seconds according to the pet guide.

And back to the original post, and the funny part, is that I use madnex's exact build except have crit instead of damage passive (I use ethyl orion haze and abaddon). You want to control as many mobs as possible and having fire ice and clock maximizes your control skills. Light is great vs bosses and can be swapped for clock.
    <The Collective> Retired Warrior/Born Again Rogue