41 Posts

Default Elites on mage

I need a Mage build for elite maps.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Attack Dog For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    403 Posts

Fire,Ice,Time shift, lightning, shield. Start off with fire,ice,time,shield then when you get to boss switch time shift for lightning. Put everything else on passives except passive damage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,009 Posts

I use:
    4/5 Fire (no scorch)
    4/5 Light (no shock)
    4/5 Ice (No shatter)
    4/5 Shield (No displacement wave)
    4/5 Clock (No time bomb)

Passives: 5/5 crit, 5/5 dex, 5/5 int, 5/5 hp

And exactly as Falmear says, I use clock on mobs and swap for light at boss.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

I run a bit more of a "suicide" build which sounds right if I were to call it anything. I only do PVE and I have done many a tindirin elite with this build with great results. Don't try it without a good PT. I may switch light for ice for added mob control.

5/5 Light
    5/5 Fire
    5/5 Gale
    5/5 Clock

passives
    5/5 crit
    5/5 int
    5/5 dex
    5/5 str

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    93 Posts

You won't make any friends with the above spec. Follow Candylicks. Mine is slightly different but very close.

5/5 Fire
    3/5 Lightning
    4/5 Ice
    4/5 Clock

5/5 Int
    5/5 Dex
    5/5 Str
    5/5 Crit

Ive hear you can get away with 3/5 in Ice but I'm waiting for a free repec to see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bigboyblue View Post
    You won't make any friends with the above spec. Follow Candylicks. Mine is slightly different but very close.
    I beg to differ, but everyone has their own style. My personal success with gale does reflect on everyone else's experience, but it is one of my favorite skills that I know how to use well. Ask anyone who runs elites with me. Gale is particularly useful to fight the abomination on the 2nd tindirin map (to escape red zones) and alargan on the 3rd (to slingshot away from his pull). In the end, you have to choose a set of skills that you know how to use, and learn how to take advantage of the strengths and weaknesses of others in your group to run elites well. However, I will agree that candylicks' build is well rounded if you are new to elites.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hazezon View Post
    I beg to differ, but everyone has their own style. My personal success with gale does reflect on everyone else's experience, but it is one of my favorite skills that I know how to use well. Ask anyone who runs elites with me. Gale is particularly useful to fight the abomination on the 2nd tindirin map (to escape red zones) and alargan on the 3rd (to slingshot away from his pull). In the end, you have to choose a set of skills that you know how to use, and learn how to take advantage of the strengths and weaknesses of others in your group to run elites well. However, I will agree that candylicks' build is well rounded if you are new to elites.
    But dont u think you need arcane shield to survive boss fight?
    My build is same as yours but i feel like replacing gale by shield.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    93 Posts

I forgot to say shield 4/5 for my build as well.

Not trying to upset you Hazezon. I'm sure your build works for you and your party. If you have a good friend base then you can use whatever build you want. If you have to sometimes run with pugs or randoms they expect a mage to have ice and clock for elite runs. Shield is optional but without it you may die a lot. A dead mage is no use to their party.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ALlIsWell View Post
    But dont u think you need arcane shield to survive boss fight?
    My build is same as yours but i feel like replacing gale by shield.
    I do not think shield is necessary in elites. If you die a lot, sure, but you might want to learn what your party could do better for your survivability so that you can be more effective at killing things. In pugs or random groups, like bigboyblue said, expect to die a lot unless you have a strategy laid out. I don't die very often in elites unless i'm lagging and I often run through maps without tanks, without deaths, and without a shield.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Hazezon For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    150 Posts

max out your damage and speed passives dont worry about Intelligent passives or you can just Learn to be a build Builder its kinda easy once you Start switching through them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,009 Posts

Few things here. I agree gale can be useful but not just to accelerate from a red zone but also as a tapping skill to blow back the straggling mobs to your tank. We have one guild mage who uses gale and it's a pleasure to run with for this exact use of gale. However, gale seems to be most popular and useful in KM3.

The lack of shield in elites I disagree with. You will either have a mage who (1) dies a lot or (2) doesn't die but also doesn't do very much inside the map because they don't have a shield and stand way back most of the time.

My build isn't just for new mages in elites, it's what the majority of us elite PvE runners are using or something close to it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,009 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tendirin View Post
    max out your damage and speed passives dont worry about Intelligent passives or you can just Learn to be a build Builder its kinda easy once you Start switching through them
    Tendirin you know I like your quirky sense of humor, I really do. However, the OP was being genuine and statements like this confuse the topic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

Listen to Candylicks. Tendirin is a forum troll, ignore his comments.

I also used to run gale in my build for fun. Its has utility to dodge red zones, run to bosses quicker, or make you tankier for a brief period (especially good if you couldn't leave a red zone on time). For elites I agree that it can be used to maneuver mobs into desired areas however, my experience is that sometimes this effect can be random. Also, if the mob was stunned with a fireball or ice already it won't get knocked back so you'd have to be mindful when you use it. So it does take a bit of practice and experience to use successfully. However, with the introduction of the magmatic totem and its awesome pull proc, I feel it is far better at maneuvering mobs into position (if this is your reason for using gale). I don't use gale anymore just because I find the other skills to be more useful especially fire, ice, clock and shield.

Speaking of shield, I would strongly suggest you use shield for elites especially if you are inexperienced. As candylicks said, without it expect to die A LOT. You'll also need shield to drop an effective clock because you have to get into the middle of mobs sometimes.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grumpy For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Candylicks View Post
    I use:
    4/5 Fire (no scorch)
    4/5 Light (no shock)
    4/5 Ice (No shatter)
    4/5 Shield (No displacement wave)
    4/5 Clock (No time bomb)

Passives: 5/5 crit, 5/5 dex, 5/5 int, 5/5 hp

And exactly as Falmear says, I use clock on mobs and swap for light at boss.
    Agreed
    This one is a nice build

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts

I run a bit more of a "suicide" build which sounds right if I were to call it anything. I only do PVE and I have done many a tindirin elite with this build with great results. Don't try it without a good PT. I may switch light for ice for added mob control.

5/5 Light
    5/5 Fire
    5/5 Gale
    5/5 Clock

passives
    5/5 crit
    5/5 int
    5/5 dex
    5/5 str
    I'm not gonna deny that Gale in the right hands is an awesome skill that can save your *** and wrangle mobs, but this build is exactly as you call it, suicide - which needs no definition. It does more harm to yourself than good no matter how skilled you are as it forces your pty to make up for your slack since you can't defend yourself properly, which you even preface yourself.

I have tried to run builds like this in the past and I'm no slouch or noob when it comes to skills - all it does is farm deaths and pots at an unsustainable rate. Now if you're running pty's with Mauls and geared out teams this is another story altogether, which im guessing is the case for you since I know what it's like to farm with players like this, but I digress.

Imho, shield isn't just preferred in elites it's pretty much a requisite, new to elites or not.

Why? Because Sorc skills pull massive amounts of aggro due to our high dam, even with a good pty. I can tell you with a 100% assurance that even with my shield up and a warrior spamming every aggro stealing skill he's got I still get maimed because of how much I'm pissing off mobs. So to me it's wonder you can stay alive at all.

So unless you're planning to hide behind your pty I do not recommend a four skill build like this.
    Lvl 46 Mage - Sorcerie|Lvl 46 Rogue - Noxbolt

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Sorcerie For This Useful Post:

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts

Default 61 level, Mage build/skills doing elites

Quote Originally Posted by Attack Dog View Post
    I need a Mage build for elite maps.
    I recently redid my skills and build to be better qualified for doing elite. I'm a level 61, Mage. I researched many people's recommendations and came up with FB (4/5), gale (5/5), shield (4/5), clock (4/5). Mastered 10/10 fire, 10/10 gale and 10/10 shield. Passive 5/5 intelligence, 3/5 quickness, 5/5 Might. All points in intelligence except 20 for strength.

I noticed a difference right away and was able to fight much better and was stronger. By maxing out the gale I did much better in somberholt and didn't get the deadly curse. Love the FB and the gale takes getting used to but is effective. I got lots of good advice here before I made my decision. Good luck!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Crystalwiz View Post
    I recently redid my skills and build to be better qualified for doing elite. I'm a level 61, Mage. I researched many people's recommendations and came up with FB (4/5), gale (5/5), shield (4/5), clock (4/5). Mastered 10/10 fire, 10/10 gale and 10/10 shield. Passive 5/5 intelligence, 3/5 quickness, 5/5 Might. All points in intelligence except 20 for strength.

I noticed a difference right away and was able to fight much better and was stronger. By maxing out the gale I did much better in somberholt and didn't get the deadly curse. Love the FB and the gale takes getting used to but is effective. I got lots of good advice here before I made my decision. Good luck!
    I prefer gale + time + shield + light (when there's no rogue around you need to kill mobs with huge hp). I added mostly the balance points to passive INT / DEX / Durability (str)

10/10 mastery on gale and time is a must to freeze mobs and giants and remove curse and stun mage / archers with AS
    Last edited by will0; 02-20-2017 at 08:58 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    138 Posts

I know this is a necro'd thread but anyway......

For elites :

Do not use lightning on mobs.
    Do not use life giver (you're fighting with one less CC/attack skill).

Party needs a mage to subdue mobs and not take out a single whelp out of a huge deadly mob with a lightning bolt or throw health in the air when we have ample pots.
    You want mana? Here have a BANANA

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts

Default Mob control

Quote Originally Posted by Terminhater View Post
    I know this is a necro'd thread but anyway......

For elites :

Do not use lightning on mobs.
    Do not use life giver (you're fighting with one less CC/attack skill).

Party needs a mage to subdue mobs and not take out a single whelp out of a huge deadly mob with a lightning bolt or throw health in the air when we have ample pots.
    I used lightning for awhile and it seemed to attack groups of people for me. I used it with FB and ran around groups of attackers and it was effective. Switched to gale to reduce the curse. Like it but sometimes it gets out of control. Use the clock a lot to stun groups for the others to get.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,462 Posts

Pretty sure the op quit a while ago after getting nowhere thanking himself on four acc's :,D