Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 51 Mage Build/Guide to beat 51 Bears

Where Birds don't Fly PL PvP Skill: A furious Genghis Khan PL Motto: Learn from all Mistakes ☺
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

Red face 51 Mage Build/Guide to beat 51 Bears

Since someone made a thread about this and nobody had an answer, I thought I'd just make a thread so that all those 51 Mages having issues vs. 51 Bears may find my Build/Guide, and render it useful.

To beat 51 Bears as a 51 Mage you should try a debuff build. Not many mages ever use debuffs at 51, and I believe that's the reason why they almost always lose to Bears in this level range.

The Build:
    6 Weakness (When you are using your debuffs at a distance (6-8m), ALWAYS use this one first seeing how it's 2m more in range compared to Nightmare (8m/6m))
    6 Nightmare (Use this one first only when you are 0-5m close to the opponent, if not ALWAYS use the Weakness as your first debuff)
    6 Blessing of Might
    6 Blessing of Vitality
    6 Drain
    6 Heal
    6 Lightning
    5 Firestorm
    1 Frostbite
    1 Ice Storm
    1 Mana Shield

I will give you two scenarios, when a Bear hits Beckon, and when a Bear misses Beckon.

Most Bears at 51 usually have high Beckon [B](Lv4-6), so start off by using your Firestorm then Frostbite, if their Beckon fails go towards them because now they cannot fully nuke you, follow through with your Debuffs(Nightmare is 6m, and Weakness is 8m - ALWAYS Weakness first), and Heal if you are HSed, use Lightning then try to kite their 4m Slashes & 3m Crushing Blow with Ice Storm, use Frostbite then Firestorm (Combo) then Lightning and Heal after they HS, then do your Debuffs and then try to kite them with Ice Storm. (Basically just keep Repeating until they're dead or their Evade/Rage runs out) use Drain whenever you get caught by their beckon/stomp combo "Smashed" or if they hold you in place with Crip. If their Evade runs out, use the Drain to nuke them. Whenever you get to 50% HP or below and don't have heal available or drain currently active to give you back HP, use Mana Shield.
    DO NOT TRY TO RUN AWAY BECAUSE THEN YOU WASTE YOUR DEBUFFS'S TIME.

^ Process to use when a Bear hits Beckon.

Start off by using your Firestorm, then Frostbite. If they manage to get you with Beckon use Ice Storm, they will most likely HS after you use Ice Storm so have quick fingers to Heal and Backup because now their CB nor Slashes will hit, while you are backing up you need to use both of your Debuffs, and maybe Lightning in that short period of time, if they see they aren't in range of Slashes nor CB, they will most likely follow through with stomp, leading to the combo "Smashed", I suggest to Drain after this if your Firestorm or Frostbite or Heal skill isn't available in a short period of time, or if you are closer than 8m to them(they will run towards you and the stun time of stomp is enough to just get about 5-6m closer to your opponent). Do this and repeat, and remember - Whenever you get to 50% HP or below and don't have heal available or drain currently active to give you back HP, use Mana Shield, and -

^ Process to use when a Bear misses Beckon.

Stat Base Setup:
    192 INT, 67 DEX
    For the face I suggest the Geisha, or Dark Elf.

Gear Setup:
    Helm: Mega Mage's Gemstone Cowl.
    Armor: Mega Mage's Gemstone Robes.
    Weapon: Mega Mage's Gem Stone Staff.
    Ring: Fine Platinum Band of Life. (Lv20, 10 Plat)
    Last edited by Vvriter; 06-14-2014 at 12:13 AM.

Senior Member synfullmagic_23110's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts

Bears are ez pz

<3
    hai doods

Where Birds don't Fly PL PvP Skill: A furious Genghis Khan PL Motto: Learn from all Mistakes ☺
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by synfullmagic_23110 View Post
    Bears are ez pz

<3
    Glad to be of help.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vvriter View Post
    Glad to be of help.
    Before your thread they were still ez pz

<3
    hai doods

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    216 Posts

Sorry, but I really disagree with the 1 Frostbite. At 1, Frostbite has such a short freeze debuff, and at 6, not only does it have a longer debuff than its cooldown, it also has an additional debuff (Hit% and something else.. I forget). You wouldn't need that extra freeze debuff from Icestorm if you have a 6 Frostbite..

And do not waste Firestorm trying to knock the opponent back out of range. There is a range glitch plus the issue of Global Cooldown Time, and the bear WILL hit beckon. Just go with the Frostbite first.

Not to bash your guide, but I'm just stating a few pointers.

Edit: Also, the staff set is a big no no. You already drop down super low from beckon + SMS + stomp with a wand set, you'll get so screwed on with a staff.
    Last edited by Laar; 06-13-2014 at 09:46 PM.
    ya YEET

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

Before your thread they were still ez pz

<3
    Oh, not from what I've seen with all these lost Mages.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts

Thanks man, glad to see other builds.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Kiting on a royal sewer bear is useless hun . 90% they will dodge most of ur skills. Im really curious who r ur 51 mage (:.
    FEEL THE CAT POWER MEOOWWWW!!!~

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Laar View Post
    Sorry, but I really disagree with the 1 Frostbite. At 1, Frostbite has such a short freeze debuff, and at 6, not only does it have a longer debuff than its cooldown, it also has an additional debuff (Hit% and something else.. I forget). You wouldn't need that extra freeze debuff from Icestorm if you have a 6 Frostbite..

And do not waste Firestorm trying to knock the opponent back out of range. There is a range glitch plus the issue of Global Cooldown Time, and the bear WILL hit beckon. Just go with the Frostbite first.

Edit: Also, the staff set is a big no no. You already drop down super low from beckon + SMS + stomp with a wand set, you'll get so screwed on with a staff.
    I disagree with 6 Frostbite because after a bear stomps they escape it right away, reason why 2 Ice's is better than 1, I never get Frostbited for longer than 2-4 seconds as a 51 Bear. Also there's another reason why I don't have 6 Frostbite, it's because I implement the points from frostbite to my other Debuff - Nightmare.

"Waste Firestorm"? It's not a waste, if the Bear fails to hit it's beckon due to cast differentiation, and even if the Bear hits Beckon after a Firestorm as the mage is moving away, they will get knocked back and will be out of range for any 3m skill (Crip and CB). Frostbite first and you'll be consumed in the Beckon then get crippling slashed with no escape or movement, and DEBUFFED by the CB. (Global Cooldown Time as in the 0.25 second delay for skills? That hardly makes a difference. Also what "range glitch"?)

Nah you aren't bashing, I take opinions openly.

The staff set isn't a big no no. You have to take into consideration that my Build has both debuffs, Armor, Damage, Dodge, and Hit Chance. There's a reason why I implemented 6 Drain, and the MS part, as well as the Ice Storm escape. While in Staff Set, you might take a bit more damage than Wand set, but you'll be doing much more damage, as well as getting way more hits in, which is essential vs. sewer bears.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Elegants View Post
    Kiting on a royal sewer bear is useless hun . 90% they will dodge most of ur skills. Im really curious who r ur 51 mage (:.
    No hun... kiting on a sewer bear isn't useless, there's a reason why I put "When a bear hits beckon" and "When a bear misses beckon", if you are able to kite their debuffs, you'll have a better chance at dropping them because your DMG is at it's max capabilities, and their dodge/armor is lower than usual. You need to realize that I have the Debuff not only with Dmg and Hit Chance, but with Armor and Dodge, giving you opportunities to not only inflict better damage, but also not get hit by many of their skills, making kiting a very viable decision. I also am not talking about 12m kite, I'm talking about Auto kiting (6-8m), the beginning of the match kite is to luckily not get hit by Beckon, giving you a much better chance, reason why I transfer from fire ice to ice fire comboing.

My Mage is Forestfight btw.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Attack Dog View Post
    Thanks man, glad to see other builds.
    No problem!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    216 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vvriter:1682438

I disagree with 6 Frostbite because after a bear stomps they escape it right away, reason why 2 Ice's is better than 1, I never get Frostbited for longer than 2-4 seconds as a 51 Bear. Also there's another reason why I don't have 6 Frostbite, it's because I implement the points from frostbite to my other Debuff - Nightmare.

"Waste Firestorm"? It's not a waste, if the Bear fails to hit it's beckon due to cast differentiation, and even if the Bear hits Beckon after a Firestorm as the mage is moving away, they will get knocked back and will be out of range for any 3m skill (Crip and CB). Frostbite first and you'll be consumed in the Beckon then get crippling slashed with no escape or movement, and DEBUFFED by the CB. (Global Cooldown Time as in the 0.25 second delay for skills? That hardly makes a difference. Also what "range glitch"?)

Nah you aren't bashing, I take opinions openly.

The staff set isn't a big no no. You have to take into consideration that my Build has both debuffs, Armor, Damage, Dodge, and Hit Chance. There's a reason why I implemented 6 Drain, and the MS part, as well as the Ice Storm escape. While in Staff Set, you might take a bit more damage than Wand set, but you'll be doing much more damage, as well as getting way more hits in, which is essential vs. sewer bears.
    Stomp isn't a deroot like a Heal, Heal is readily available as a deroot, while Stomp has a bit of a longer cooldown. 6 Frostbite is very useful if you take cooldown into consideration. Nigrhmare could also be dodged, and it also has a fairly long cooldown. I'd rather not risk it and put it into a Frostbite.

If you use Frostbite first, you have the bear pinned down if beckon misses, and they waste stomp. Firestorm isn't going to knock a beckon out of range, because of GCD and a range glitch. The GCD is long enough to delay the skill long enough for the beckon to hit at 13m. The range glitch is a glitch that when you step back after casting a skill, you lose 2m range for a period of time while the enemy gains 2m: that's why there are weird stituations when you're running away from a mage while the mage can still hit you, but you can't hit her. And about the Firestorm cast even if it hits.. they still have a stomp stun and you won't be able to heal out fast enough and run.

Thanks about the non bashing btw. Sorry if I sounded harsh though.

The staff set is still a big no no. Bears have an OP damage buff with lots of base damage on top of it, and having less armor isn't going to help even with debuffs. And you aren't doing as much damage as you think, in reality you're giving up 20 armor for 20 damage, so its an equal trade. Also, an extra ice debuff isn't going to be needed. 6 Frostbite is already a low enough cooldown and it stacks. What's essential to fighting bears at 51, is lasting long enough to kill. You still have the majority of the damage from the Staff set with wand, and you have more armor. Oh, btw Wand set has more hit% than staff.
    ya YEET

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts

I never seen u frost

<3
    hai doods

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

Wait so instead of which skills would u make into 6 frost? I think 6 pts into the debuff that minuses dodge + 6 frost is good enuff. Last pt could go in firestorm. No need for both debuffs imo, if bears can easily dodge the hit debuff.

Stomp isn't a deroot like a Heal, Heal is readily available as a deroot, while Stomp has a bit of a longer cooldown. 6 Frostbite is very useful if you take cooldown into consideration. Nigrhmare could also be dodged, and it also has a fairly long cooldown. I'd rather not risk it and put it into a Frostbite.

If you use Frostbite first, you have the bear pinned down if beckon misses, and they waste stomp. Firestorm isn't going to knock a beckon out of range, because of GCD and a range glitch. The GCD is long enough to delay the skill long enough for the beckon to hit at 13m. The range glitch is a glitch that when you step back after casting a skill, you lose 2m range for a period of time while the enemy gains 2m: that's why there are weird stituations when you're running away from a mage while the mage can still hit you, but you can't hit her. And about the Firestorm cast even if it hits.. they still have a stomp stun and you won't be able to heal out fast enough and run.

The staff set is still a big no no. Bears have an OP damage buff with lots of base damage on top of it, and having less armor isn't going to help even with debuffs. And you aren't doing as much damage as you think, in reality you're giving up 20 armor for 20 damage, so its an equal trade. Also, an extra ice debuff isn't going to be needed. 6 Frostbite is already a low enough cooldown and it stacks. What's essential to fighting bears at 51, is lasting long enough to kill. You still have the majority of the damage from the Staff set with wand, and you have more armor. Oh, btw Wand set has more hit% than staff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

Stomp isn't a deroot like Heal, however it's a deice like Heal. Stomp can be readily available as a deice, however Heal cannot be readily available because you must keep Heals constant vs Bears heavy DMG. I see where you come from as cooldowns are concerned, however Frostbite can also be dodged, and escaped by Stomp, putting you at a greater risk and less advantage without/compared to Ice storm and Nightmare.

If you use Frostbite first, you may have the bear pinned down if beckon misses, and ifthey choose to waste stomp. If this doesn't happen, then what do you do? That range glitch you speak of is the reason why I have Ice storm and nightmare, and start off with Firestorm. If you Firestorm and this range glitch happens, and let's say you get caught by beckon then hsed, or whatever moves you'd like to choose, you'll still be out of range of their CB (3m), and you can use Ice storm to "pin them down, and make them waste stomp" as well as use your debuffs nightmare, and weakness whilst getting away. (By the way Stomp stun isn't guaranteed. It's a chance, the max is 70% at this level)

No problem. You don't sound harsh at all.

The staff set still isn't a big no no. Having more dmg is crucial when vsing Bears because the objective is trying to match that Huge Damage buff they have, making the debuffs even more effective. Mages already have the Blessing of Vitality which adds a huge amount of armor, and quite frankly this puts Iron Blood's armor buff to shame, and that's without even including the armor that's given when MSing. Also, I've already made my point why 2 Ices are better than 1, but I'll reintroduce it - For starters, if your ice misses you won't even have a 2nd chance to combo, yet with Ice Storm, you can still manage to in an instant, rather than 4 seconds. What's essential to fighting bears at 51, is to do DMG while reducing their dodge and armor to get in more hard-hitting hits. Also may I remind you that blessing of vitality last 12 seconds? When this buff runs out, you'll basically be squishy for 8-10 seconds even with that extra 20 armor, in this time your DMG will be the most crucial because not only will your blessing of vitality be running out, but as well as their Iron Blood making this a DMG fight, and in all honesty I'm pretty sure you won't live 10 seconds to rebuff that armor, almost no mage with a wand does, especially not vs. me unless they run away.
    And with ending I'd like to say -

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fear View Post
    Wait so instead of which skills would u make into 6 frost? I think 6 pts into the debuff that minuses dodge + 6 frost is good enuff. Last pt could go in firestorm. No need for both debuffs imo, if bears can easily dodge the hit debuff.
    I'm not entirely sure if they can dodge the debuffs like he(or she) said, but I'll find out for myself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

I never seen u frost

<3
    Maybe you've seen my bear then? Fleshdrill. I remember your bird Plqx, and mage Histqry as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts

Ohh flesh yes frost no

<3
    hai doods

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

I have never seen ur mage bfore lul
    FEEL THE CAT POWER MEOOWWWW!!!~

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Elegants View Post
    I have never seen ur mage bfore lul
    I've never seen you either.