Thread: Reworking Traps idea!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    88 Posts

Lightbulb Reworking Traps idea!

Entangling Trap is a skill commonly seen in the builds of endgame elite rogues. Some people would argue Shadow Veil is more useful and Trap is somewhat useless and outclassed by anything a Sorcerer can do. Today I present my idea to rework some of the Perks and Mechanics of Entangling Trap.

Mechanics
    •Traps stay on the map for 10 seconds. After their timer is up they explode and break. Charging Trap no longer extends the length of an Activated trap's duration by 2 seconds.
    •Newly created traps still retain their "trigger" time. After which a blue flicker of light indicates the trap will go off if an enemy steps on them.

Perks
    Adept Construction: This perk retains the same function it did before offering rogues a 20% chance to create another trap. Unlike before Adept Construction could allow a very lucky rogue to make up to 5 traps. This is now reduced to 3, after which the skill will go into a 10 second cooldown.
    Razor Wire: This perk has been modified, it no longer causes enemies to bleed. Instead enemies caught inside the trap's circle will take continuous set damage. The damage itself increases depending on how long the enemy stays within the trap.(Similar to Noxious Bolt's poison.) This gives trap it's own way of true damage.
    The damage caused by Razor Wire
    50-1 second
    100-2 seconds
    150-3 seconds
    200-4 seconds
    250-5 seconds
    300-6 seconds onwards.
    Power Snare: The longer enemies stay inside a trap's snare the worse their movement debuff becomes. This is to give traps more utility as I've seen many enemies (especially in elites) scoff off my traps and run right towards me.
    Net Retraction: Trap's have a 45% chance to pull enemies within their radius. 95% chance on charged traps. Honestly Net Retraction is Entangling Trap's only saving grace. 95% isn't necessarily a gaurenteed pull, but it's a huge step up from 20% and gives people a reason to actually charge this skill.
    Last edited by Legallyblonde; 06-18-2014 at 02:37 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    656 Posts

Agreed, traps definitely need some refinements.

• First of all, the bleeding effect is useless in both Entangling Traps and Razor Shield since it draws some hell of an aggro while the damage is pathetic.
    • Secondly, charging traps offers no advantage whatsoever. Go figure.
    • Thirdly, what's with the sucky explosion damage on both Entangling Traps (rogue) and Time Shift (sorcerer)? Hilarious how the description refers to it as "high damage". Waste of a skill upgrade spot.
    • But most importantly, the net pull. Ok, I'll rephrase; the joke of a net pull. Considering the low 20% chance to actually activate the net on such a long cooldown, the pulling strength is so weak that most times it merely drags surrounding enemies a bit closer to each other. Comparing to Whim's Arcane Ability which not only pulls tighter but also more effectively, it's just sad. Also, a very annoying fact is that frozen or stunned enemies are not pulled.
    Last edited by Madnex; 09-03-2014 at 03:56 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts

Maybe they do need be tweaked a bit but not too much. Keep in mind traps are meant to snare mobs for grouping not dmg dealing. As rogues we already have highest dmg skills. If add too much dmg to traps it would be crowd control and thats mage job.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    784 Posts

I think that Traps should cast the net 100% of the time when charged, 50% when uncharged.

This, in combination with changes to Shadow Storm Shot freezing/panicking/rooting three (six if charged) mobs would mean two viable crowd control skills and lead to some diversity in Rogue builds.

These days, 90% of the Rogues have Aimed, Nox, Pierce and either Veil/Traps/Medic as their 4th skill (depending on whether they PvP or not).

AL: Kalizzaa
    Retired Officer of <Elite Runners>
    Elite Chronicles: Solo guides for elite maps - No longer maintained

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    88 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Veluthe View Post
    Maybe they do need be tweaked a bit but not too much. Keep in mind traps are meant to snare mobs for grouping not dmg dealing. As rogues we already have highest dmg skills. If add too much dmg to traps it would be crowd control and thats mage job.
    I can see what you mean. The Razor Wire idea I had does damage yeah, but it's reasonable damage. Not to low but not too high it's a step up from bleed which did 71-81 damage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    88 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GoodSyntax View Post
    I think that Traps should cast the net 100% of the time when charged, 50% when uncharged.

This, in combination with changes to Shadow Storm Shot freezing/panicking/rooting three (six if charged) mobs would mean two viable crowd control skills and lead to some diversity in Rogue builds.

These days, 90% of the Rogues have Aimed, Nox, Pierce and either Veil/Traps/Medic as their 4th skill (depending on whether they PvP or not).
    ^^^ This

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts

So is the Bleed upgrade even worth it for Elite PvE?
    "Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare." - Japanese Proverb
    IGN: Pureloot