Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: In-Depth Guide to Farming Alien Oasis 3 (AO3): Victory Lap!

Guardian of Alterra Physiologic's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Lightbulb In-Depth Guide to Farming Alien Oasis 3 (AO3): Victory Lap!

In-Depth Guide to Farming Alien Oasis 3 (AO3): Victory Lap
    by Physiologic

Check out my other Pocket Legends guides:
    How Drop Rates Work (Simplified) and the Factor of Luck Elixirs
    Post-Global Cooldown (GCD) Video Runs at Balefort Sewers
    In-Depth Guide to Farming Balefort Sewers
    Comprehensive Archer Skills and Equipment Guide
    Complete Lv 55 Archer Gear List
    Pocket Legends Enemy, Boss, and NPC Compendium
    How to Craft Lv 55 Gear
    How to calculate your attributes using STR, DEX, and INT
    Ring List
    Guide to Advanced Mechanics in PL: DPS, Crits, etc.
    Void Set versus Sentinel equips: An Unbiased Analysis
    In-Depth Guide to Farming Alien Oasis 3: Victory Lap

Check out my other Star Legends guides:
    Star Legends General Attributes (STR, DEX, INT) Guide
    Prefix/Suffix Compendium for Weapons and Armors
    Lv 20-21 Operative Weapons and Equips

Table of Contents

I. Introduction
    II. Finding/Hosting a Game
    III. Starting the Run (First Area of Victory Lap)
    IV. Boss Guides
    V. Other Useful Information
    VI. Thx and Revision History

I. Introduction

An extention to Aryilana's AO3 Boss Strategies, this guide is to help educate new and old players how to properly execute a successful (and cost-efficient) Alien Oasis 3: Victory Lap! (AO3:VL) run for the primary purpose of farming for drops. Some may argue "omg more farmers! more drops! lowered market value!" - well I've had enough of running with people who have absolutely no idea what they're doing and dying repeatedly.

Background info on me: I've been a PL player since December 10th, 2010 and reached 50 in a few weeks. I am by no means a veteran player and I do not know everything about the game. However, I pick up things fairly quickly and always strive for perfection in any game I play. I currently boast a 10,100 kill to 130 death ratio (this is my first time character), so this guide should also be used for those who want to keep their K-D ratio as high as possible while farming AO3:VL.

I will keep this guide short and simple and easy to follow, and I hate reading guides that feature long paragraphs.

What is the point in farming? In short, to make lots of money really quickly.

Of course, not everyone will have the same farming experience. You may go several runs and get lucky with an item that costs nearly 300,000 gold, or you may go 100 runs (like me) and get almost nothing in value. You may see someone grab a Mega Blaster and a Laser Wand in the same run and you may never see those items drop at all for you.

You must understand that farming is really a luck-of-the-draw thing. Think of it this way: Everyone has the same chance of obtaining a coveted pink. With a full party of 5 people, the chances of an alien boss randomly dropping a nice pink looks to be as low as 1%. Then, that drop is again randomly assigned to one person out of 5 (so 1% divided by 5 is 0.2%). So that looks on average a 1/100 chance that a boss with drop a nice pink, or a 1/500 chance of you obtaining it. Of course, the drop rate isn't exactly 1%, and the drop rates of all bosses probably differ. Case-in-point, I won't argue about specific numbers or drop rates...farming and getting good drops all depends on luck.

II. Finding/Hosting a Game

If you're a first time player who has recently hit 50 and want to start farming:

1. Filter out other games/campaigns by typing "Trials" in the campaign box in the JOIN GAME list.

2. Look for "The Victory Lap!" and make sure the game has just started (the box next to the name should be clear, not partially or fully green).

3. As soon as you enter, ask the party what they are doing. I usually ask "what's the gameplan?"

4. If you're in the right game, the host will usually say something like this: "DES King OL Gurg." If he says something like that or a variation like "DES OL" or "King OL" then you're in the right game. I'll explain in section three what that means.

5. If the host says "Keeper run" only, then you should leave and find another game. Keeper runs as you probably already figured out are for Cyber quests only, and Keeper drops are painfully inexpensive compared to the other bosses' drops.

If you want to host:

1. Ensure that you have a team that absolutely knows what they are doing and can communicate in such a fashion that differentiates them from chimpanzees with phones. Party should be relatively high leveled (basically, level 50) and varied (not all bird, all mage, all bear). I disagree with Aryilana's minimum of level 45 to run farming levels - Farming should be reserved for 50s that truly have a feel for AO3:VL runs and with enough survivability gear, DPS, and hit%. Remember, this guide was meant to be cost-effective and efficient. If you do decide to run with lv 45-49s, then make sure they're smart and know what they're doing and can be as helpful as possible.

2. I usually tell them the plan: "DES>Rush King>Pot Rush OL" and usually boot those who don't seem to get it (i.e. they are silent, they can't speak English, etc.). I have a low tolerance to idiocy or absent-mindedness in farming runs, so the weak must be weeded out.

3. I also macro "pot OL or get booted" prior to the run so everyone has their fair share of spending money for the OL run.

4. Anyone who doesn't agree to my terms as a host gets the boot. Being slightly mean is the small price to pay to having a great, speedy run as a host.

III. Starting the Run (First Area of Victory Lap)

(Credits to Kossi for the map fix)

1. As soon as your party is settled, you'll find a room with portals in them and three strong alien mini-bosses (Lorekeeper, Sniper, Berserker). Avoid these enemies at all costs as your efficient farming party will not waste time on these enemies. Spam pots while running towards the portal and don't rely on your mage to heal you at this part.

2. To survive this section, it's very important that your entire party runs together so all 3 enemies aren't aggroed onto one player. In the event you arrive late and your party members have already gone in one of the portals (make sure you ask them which they went into), try to run the perimeter of the room, as far away from the enemies as possible. don't let the Berserker get too close to you, and pot constantly when the Sniper/Lorekeeper aggros on you.

3. I will make an example of a DES-King-OL-Gurg run (as this is the most common form of an AO3:VL farming run I've seen).

DES-King-OL-Gurg is the order in which your party will run through the portals and defeat the bosses. It's a shortcut name for the following:

DES = Desert, or the boss Pl'Othozz
    King = King Mynas
    OL = Galactic Overlord
    Gurg = Gurgox

IV. Boss Guides

*Before I begin, I must emphasize when Mages are supposed to spam heal versus heal sporadically versus not heal. Everyone's playing experience and farming run is different - you may have a group that completely annhilates a boss so that healing may not be necessary, or you may have a group in which a couple of unlucky runners are getting hit hard. As a bird or a bear, it is partially your responsibility to USE YOUR POTIONS and not completely rely on your mage to heal. If your mage is not healing at all and you end up dying even though you were spamming pots, you should ask your mage to please heal.*

Desert (PL'Othozz):

Kill off enough enemies to spawn the boss. There are no aliens here, just desert nomads, who are as weak and brittle as your grandmother's fingernails. Note: Killing only half these enemies, or enough to have "125-126 enemies remaining", will spawn the boss. (Credits to Shemron and Sky../)

Mages: Don't show off your DPS or how pretty your skills are. PL'Othozz hits hard and your party needs constant heal, so heal them. I understand some parties are able to breeze through PL'Othozz, but note that this boss has an uncanny ability to critically hit you, leaving you down to 10% health instantly, then as you spam pots to get a measly 30% health back, PL'Othozz crits you again and you die. This is why I ask my mages to heal (throwing in their buffs/debuffs as well).

Birds: Lay waste - spam all your skills on him to get him down as soon as possible. With the bear, pin him to a wall/corner, preferably right next to where he spawns. Don't be stingy by attacking with normal attacks in hopes he doesn't aggro you. Trust in your mage to heal you.

Bears: Make sure you continue to keep PL'Othozz stunned but do NOT stomp and knock him away from the wall/corner. This is really annoying and just takes time away from your speedy run.

Premium pink drops from Pl'Othozz:
    Laser Wand of the Cosmos
    Force Kite Shield of the Rift
    Plasma Axe of the Rift

Click here for Yanis' list of these items.

Amount of enemies remaining to spawn Pl'Othozz: 125-126

King Mynas:

As soon as you enter Mynas' portal, kill all enemies in front of the portal and nothing beyond that.

This picture exemplifies the area you need to clear after you step into Mynas' portal. Wait for your other members to arrive after this beginning area is cleared of enemies (there should only have been 5-6 aliens here). You'll most likely be rushing straight into Mynas' chamber, so be ready to keep your guard up and spam pots.

Useful tip: After much trial and error with different parties, I've figured the absolute sure-fire way to successfully rush into a boss's chamber without anyone dying. Have the bear run in first, with the bird and mage right behind him - it's important that you run tightly as a group. Have your entire party as far away from barrels as possible. What this ideal party should do is have the bear Beckon each group of enemy that they run into. When the enemies are mobbed together, have the bird Thorn Wall and the mage use Frostbite and Icestorm to stop the enemies in their tracks. Bears may also Stomp if party members are held back. Barrels should be targeted by Birds only when they are far enough to not hit and debuff your entire party. Mages should heal consistently through the rush.

Useful tip: To get rid of all enemies following you, rush past Mynas and touch the back end of the wall - a vast majority of the aliens should lose aggro on you and retreat back. This is very helpful and easy thing to do prior the fight with Mynas if everyone does this.

Mages: Heal constantly while running to the chamber. Here you can afford to throw a few hits at Mynas, as he doesn't do as much damage as PL'Othozz, but he can still deal some pretty heavy damage. Continue debuffing the boss and buffing your party members as you will, and eliminate his minions with AoE attacks.

Birds: Once again spam all your skills, making sure you get your own Cruel Blast combos in there as well as thorning Mynas so that the Mage can combo with lightning. With the Mage, eliminate his minions by Thorn Walling them as soon as the Bear Beckons.

Bears: Make sure you beckon all the zombies in Mynas' chamber so that your party can quickly eliminate them, as they are pests during the fight. Crushing Blow is especially useful since Mynas has a strong melee attack.

Premium pink drops from King Mynas:
    Laser Talon of the Void
    Sunblessed Bow of the Void
    Jacob's Helmet of the Cosmos
    Screaming Skull Shield of the Rift
    Sunblessed Scimitar of the Rift

Amount of enemies remaining to spawn King Mynas: ?

Galactic Overlord:

Make sure everyone is in the room prior to moving. I will assume that everyone in your party has agreed to give their equal share of tanking pots - this costs 1,500 gold and you can buy this in Store->Elixirs->Tanker's Ale Elixir. Most parties have everyone pot anyway regardless of their ability to tank simply because it's fair for everyone to "pitch in" for the run - I for one am an advocate to this idea.

Tanker's Ale Elixir will double your armor for 5 minutes and is primarily used to tank the Overlord's extremely damaging hits. It will also help a lot while rushing towards his chamber, as you will have to go through tons of aliens and alien mini-bosses (Lorekeeper, Sniper, Berserker).

The path splits off to the left and the right - The left leads to Gurgox and the right leads to the OL. Make for the right first. Once again, as you run, have the bears tank with the birds following side-by-side and the mages in the back healing. Avoid stomping on barrels and have the birds thorn root the enemies. As soon as you enter the chamber, aim directly for the Overlord and ignore his 2 Lorekeepers that are with him.

Useful tip: After much trial and error with different parties, I've figured the absolute sure-fire way to successfully rush into a boss's chamber without anyone dying. Have the bear run in first, with the bird and mage right behind him - it's important that you run tightly as a group. Have your entire party as far away from barrels as possible. What this ideal party should do is have the bear Beckon each group of enemy that they run into. When the enemies are mobbed together, have the bird Thorn Wall and the mage use Frostbite and Icestorm to stop the enemies in their tracks. Bears may also Stomp if party members are held back. Barrels should be targeted by Birds only when they are far enough to not hit and debuff your entire party. Mages should heal consistently through the rush.

Useful tip: Once again like in Mynas, as soon as you enter the boss room, rush to the end wall right behind the Overlord to drop the aggro on all enemies chasing you. Very helpful if everyone in the party does this.

Mages: Keep your team member's health in mind, and make sure you get in your combos and attacks in while keeping up your Blessing and Mana Shield.

Birds/Bears: Bash away and spam all your skills. This fight is too chaotic to establish combos but you'll be able to pull a couple here and there.

Premium pink drops from Galactic Overlord:
    Overlord's Helmet of the Void
    Mega Blaster of the Void
    Overlord's Helmet of the Cosmos
    Power Armor of the Rift
    Jacob's Helmet of the Rift
    Overlord's Helmet of the Rift

Amount of enemies remaining to spawn Galactic Overlord: 116

Gurgox the Great:

Immediately after the fight with the Overlord, rush back towards the entrance and take the other path (the left path). Do NOT take the portal that appears after you kill the Overlord - taking this will lead you back to the beginning of the Victory Lap and you'll lose your tanker's elixir, if you still have some of it remaining.

Enemies while rushing there will most likely not enter Gurgox's chamber (for some reason a majority of the aggro is lost a couple of steps before the chamber).

There is a reason why people run for OL first after they consume a Tanker's Ale Elixir, THEN go after Gurgox - Gurgox has an infamous attack that kills anyone instantly, negating the elixir completely.

You'll find several green orbs around Gurgox, which you must consume when Gurgox is about to do his 1-hit-KO attack. The following is very important. Gurgox will be safe to attack for approximately 15 seconds until he does 2 things: he will start growling and emitting an orange aura around his feet. The growl will become louder and the orange aura will expand larger for about 5 seconds until he unleashes his roar which WILL kill you regardless of your armor/tanker's pot/health. Run towards a green orb as soon as you hear his growl or see the orange aura, but don't take the orb yet - wait about 2-3 seconds and then take it. Taking it too soon will cause the orb's power to fade (it doesn't last very long) and you'll be killed by his shout.

It'll take another 15 seconds or so for him to roar again but it may be as less as 10 seconds - so make sure you listen to the roar or look at his feet for the orange aura (I prefer the latter, as many people are having difficulties with the sound).

Mages: Since Gurgox does not hit very hard, you should focus on attacking and comboing instead of healing to kill him off as fast as possible. It's also very important to note that as a mage, you absolutely don't die because you are needed to revive your party members in case a member cannot reach an orb in time. That being said, ensure that you are always close to an orb, preferably one far away from your other team members in case they accidentally take it from you. (Credit to Aryilana and Lesrider)

Birds/Bears: Unleash as much damage as you can, ensuring you don't do anything foolish like knocking Gurgox back and forth around the room, making you chase after him and lowering overall DPS.

Premium pink drops from Gurgox the Great:
    Jacob's Helmet of the Void
    Mirage Robe of the Cosmos
    Gurgox's Eye of the Cosmos
    Gurgox Hammer of the Rift

Amount of enemies remaining to spawn Gurgox the Great: 116

And there you have it - Remake the game or wait for the host to remake the game and hope you had some good drops.

V. Other useful information

Helpful Abbreviations

- AO3: Alien Oasis 3 (campaign bought with platinum)
    - VL: Victory Lap level in Alien Oasis 3
    - Des: Desert, with the boss, PL'Othozz
    - King: The boss, King Mynas
    - OL: The boss, Galactic Overlord
    - Keep: The boss, Keeper
    - Gurg: The boss, Gurgox
    - When someone says "rush": Run past all enemies in a level to get to the boss to make your farming runs faster. Usually done together as a group.
    - When someone says "pot" or "pot up" or "lixir up": Buy the Tanker's Ale Elixir (blue one) in the Elixir section of the store. Usually done before you rush to the Overlord.
    -Aggro: When an enemy targets you for attack

Coloured Orbs

You may have seen these throughout your travels, and they serve to temporarily (10 seconds) boost certain stats for your character.

Red: Overall damage x 2
    Purple: Overall armor x 2
    Green: Replenishes health 100%
    Blue: Replenishes mana 100%
    Yellow: Running speed x 2
    Green (in Gurgox chamber): Gives you a 5 second immunity against Gurgox's instant-kill shout attack.

Alien Lorekeeper, Sniper, and Berserker Drops

There is a chance for these mini-bosses to drop premium pink items as well, so some groups choose to eliminate the beginning section of Victory Lap.

Lorekeeper:
    Plasma Axe of the Rift
    Plasma Battlesword of the Rift

Sniper:

Berserker:
    N/A

VI. Thx and Revision History
    Thank you for taking your time to read this guide. Feel free to add comments, advice, opinions, feedback, or improvements. I am in no way a perfect player and this is by no means a perfect guide. I've only played one character in my one month of playing - a bird - and would like more helpful hints from bears and mages on what they do to make a fast, efficient run.

For future revisions:
    - Keeper/T'Paxx boss guides will be up as well.

1/3/11: Guide created
    1/5/11: Edits to VL main room, PL'Othozz guide, Gurgox guide.
    Coloured font to make certain sections easier to see.
    Created "Coloured Orbs" and "Helpful Abbreviations" sections under section VI.
    Added several screenshots.
    1/6/11: Added premium pink drop list for each boss, as well as alien mini-bosses.
    1/7/11: Added "Amount of enemies remaining" needed to spawn boss.
    Added and revised some strategies for rushing into boss chambers.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Physiologic For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Awesome guide, I'm not even 50 yet but I sure as hell won't be noobing it up when I get there after reading this.

Someone creative should do a video guide for this.
    Ruscour - leveling Ursan Warrior, doing every quest in a content pack before I move on.
    Finished everywhere up to yetiville :-D
    13" MacBook, Gaming PC w/ WinXP 64, Laptop w/ PCLinuxOS, Netbook w/ Peppermint Linux, 64GB 3G iPad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Wow! This pretty good! I like the diagram. How long did it take you?
    You have succeeded in life when all you really want is only what you really need. ~Vernon Howard
    Announcing the Pocket Legend Fan Site!! Become Part of the Phenomenon!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

you missed something, and ive only been reading for 5 seconds

its keeper AND tpaxx :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Justg View Post
    That. Is. AWESOME!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

the VL tpaxx is worthless.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

and solid work phys.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Thanks for the positive comments. I'll fix up the diagram (I never had a group that did a T'Paxx run along with the other bosses in VL so I forgot about him) and make it more visually pleasing. I will be making a pink drop list from the bosses as well as the current average market value of such items as of today's date and periodically update them on their prices.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

EPIC guide. I may need to read this a second or third time so that I can advise my party members on exactly what to do. VL is really no place for inexperienced players, but this guide should be able to turn ye common noob into a seasoned runner.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Good stuff. I wish everyone I ran with read and followed this guide.

-Ravenous

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Great guide. Devs should sticky this guide. This should teach a lot of players what rushing on VL is and why a player lower than 50 is booted almost every time(always from my experience). And I hope tanks do learn how not to keep the bosses bouncing across the room or outside and resetting them.

PS: on the desert you don't have to kill all the mobs. Just about half maybe a bit more for the boss to spawn.
    Sig by KLEMEN
    IGN: E͡ℭ͟ӈҿͥ͜lͣoͫղg level 56 Mega Mage/Sewer mage ~ EchelongX lvl 55 Dex Bird

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

If you do des first, you just have to kill enough to bring down the enemy count to 125/126

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sky../ View Post
    If you do des first, you just have to kill enough to bring down the enemy count to 125/126
    yep but when u do OL after u have to clear to 116... pratically means clear desert... (114 after). buts np, in some seconds all mummies are death..
    (this numbers when NOT cleared middle)
    - PL - Founder and proud C.O.T. officer
    RicciTS > DEX Bird L77 | Ricci > INT Mage L76 | XCarver> STR/DEX Bear L71
    and many more....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Honestly, didn't read it all -- just skimmed. But two things I noticed:

You don't mention that a mage should get an orb at Gurg no matter what. If you have mages in your group, make sure at least one of them always gets an orb. It's no fun wiping just bc someone stole the orb from under the Mage.

2 -- many bosses now are pretty easy, especially Plothozz and keeper. Mages should be able to handle both attacking and healing. If not, the battles will take longer than necessary.
    Also, I didn't see any mention of pallies -- they can definitely get right up in the bosses' faces and fight while still healing/revving. Many mages play pallies or dual wield now, so shouldn't be ignored.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Lesrider View Post
    Honestly, didn't read it all -- just skimmed. But two things I noticed:

You don't mention that a mage should get an orb at Gurg no matter what. If you have mages in your group, make sure at least one of them always gets an orb. It's no fun wiping just bc someone stole the orb from under the Mage.

2 -- many bosses now are pretty easy, especially Plothozz and keeper. Mages should be able to handle both attacking and healing. If not, the battles will take longer than necessary.
    Also, I didn't see any mention of pallies -- they can definitely get right up in the bosses' faces and fight while still healing/revving. Many mages play pallies or dual wield now, so shouldn't be ignored.
    Lol yeah and tanks and birds should let the only mage in the group get the orb before they do and sacrifice themselves for the group. Had a tank take the orb from me on a run and we wiped out since I was the only mage.
    Sig by KLEMEN
    IGN: E͡ℭ͟ӈҿͥ͜lͣoͫղg level 56 Mega Mage/Sewer mage ~ EchelongX lvl 55 Dex Bird

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

I don't remember saying they needed to be at a minimum level of 45 to farm. That minimum level was for them to be in AO3 altogether otherwise they won't do much damage. They really have no reason to farm since they can't equip anything.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Great guide. Thanks for taking the time to do this. I'm 49 and just about ready to start farming VL, so this was very helpful.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts

This is very helpful. The problem I've had is that I'm not experienced yet in VL because I don't want to go in to a game and run around like an idiot not knowing what to do. The dilemma of how to get experience has been bugging me. This has at least helped me to have a plan and not stand there like a dork trying to figure out where everyone's gone when they say "Gurg" and rush a portal.

I have a few questions. You say that mages should only heal, but the first thing my mind does is think, "wait, it takes a bit for my heal to be ready to hit again so am I just supposed to stand there and wait for it to recharge?" Shouldn't we also be buffing and debuffing? Where should I stand to avoid being killed while waiting to heal? Should I just kite around? Is this why being in a good group is important?

I've done Gurgox once and OL a few times and on Gurgox we just died like crazy because of the scream. It was my first time there and I was kind of like, "whoa, wth? This doesn't seem very effective."

With the OL I just stood outside waiting to run in and res when necessary and ran away when the OL came out into the hallway so I wouldn't be killed. Is this standard? It just seems so...boring and like I'm not really contributing. I just created a bird that I'm thinking of leveling up since I do like to get in the fray and really don't like to just stand around healing and nothing else.

Oh, and I have to add one thing. There is nothing more frustrating than being the only mage in a group and having players shout, "HEAL", over and over again and acting like you're not healing at all. Do they not realize that it's not something that you can just spam every .5 seconds? The reluctance to pop pots while waiting for me to be able to heal again is really annoying. And, yes, I spam heal like crazy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Gurg is incredibly easy and can be solo'd by a Mage. It just takes timing with the orbs. OL has always been iffy when I join groups that do him. What you're referring to won't happen in VL runs. Glitching OL is boring and only happens on the campaign map.

Just memorize which portals lead to where and remember to throw on mana shield while spamming potions when you rush. I'd personally do the cyber quests if you haven't already since that would give you experience fighting in an actual team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Mages are nukers. They don't need to just heal. If you're the only Mage, you do need to be a bit more careful to stay alive and prevent a wipe. But you don't have to stand back and do nothing.

Sounds like you're running with bad groups. My suggestion would be to host your own game and invite any friends you know who could help. Communicate before you start anything. Tell everyone what you plan to do and ask how if you're not sure. Communication is incredibly important when you're not a seasoned farmer or just playing with people you don't usually run with. Once you've gotten used to each boss's strategy, and have some good friends you can depend on, it will get a lot easier and you'll be able to do VL runs in your sleep (with a good team).

It's a lot of fun learning it with others who are just learning. The friends I learned with ended up being the ones I stuck with most of the time. You learn each other's strengths and weaknesses, and know how to work with each other. It's so much better than running with random groups where everyone just does their own thing.

So, to sum it up:

-Host your own game
    -Invite dependable friends
    -Communicate at the start of each game. If anyone is ignoring you, I would give them a warning that they need to communicate or get booted.
    -Learn from the players that know what they're doing. Try to teach the ones that don't.
    -If you work well with someone, add them to your friends list. If someone is just making your life harder and simply can't learn, remove them from your friends list.
    -Befire you know it you'll have a group of friends you can count on, so you can create only LOCKED games and keep out all the riffraff.

Hope that helps
    Last edited by Lesrider; 01-05-2011 at 03:39 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

@Shemron, Sky../ - edited guide with your comments

@Lesrider - the only reason why I ask mages to heal more at PL'Othozz is because of his ability to crit you when you're aggroed. Many times, myself or another runner have been crit'd down to 10-20% health (this happens to me even when using Talon/Shield cyber set and with Evade up) and as I spam pots, I get hit hard again and die. Of course this doesn't always happen, but I just prefer not to die - I love my KD ratio

@Ayrilana - I wrote my guide as an extension to yours but you quote "Players should be at least level 45 to really be effective" which I really didn't agree on..unless I misinterpreted what you were saying.

@Pandamoni - If you're healing when you're supposed to heal then you're doing nothing wrong. Keep in mind heal is a limited-range AOE and you should really get in the middle of a fight to help out. If you're healing and someone blames you for dying, it's a lot of factors to consider how they died - did they get unlucky and got crit'd or mobbed too quickly? Did they pot too slowly, if at all? Don't worry too much about those players that yell at you when you're doing your job. With OL, make sure you have your tanker pot and mana shield up, and constantly using Blessing while throwing in your attacks and heals. It just takes a lot of practice as a mage to be efficient at OL since you're not only attacking - you're healing and buffing/debuffing at the same time, and frantically trying to find the slain bodies of your comrades to revive. But if you're a damn good mage at OL your party will appreciate you.