Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: In-Depth Guide to Farming Alien Oasis 3 (AO3): Victory Lap!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Phys, what level are you while farming and what gear? Bc plothozz has been severely Nerfed since 1.5. The only time I've seen him cause any sort of trouble is with a random team that had absolute no clue what they were doing. But if everyone attacks full force (mages should heal, too, of course), he really should not cause any problems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Excellent guide. Finally, VL can be done right.

Guardian of Alterra Physiologic's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lesrider View Post
    Phys, what level are you while farming and what gear? Bc plothozz has been severely Nerfed since 1.5. The only time I've seen him cause any sort of trouble is with a random team that had absolute no clue what they were doing. But if everyone attacks full force (mages should heal, too, of course), he really should not cause any problems.
    Lv 50 with Full cyber Talon/Shield. You're right, about 75% of the games I am in he really does cause no problems and my team can kill him without any issues. But I created this guide for new and veteran players alike - when I join random games in which people aren't attacking full force, he tends to knock out players one-by-one. In writing the guide I tried to keep in mind how a new group of players should handle each boss. Of course, once everyone is comfortable with what they're doing, they can do whatever they want to kill the bosses off.

Also regarding pallys (or other hybrid builds) - I'm not too familiar with dual spec'd characters in PL, so if you could offer any strategies for these types of characters I would incorporate them into the guide

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Stick it with... GORILLA GLUE!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts

Thanks for the feedback...I'm usually right in the middle of everything spamming health and haven't had complaints from people I usually run with. It's just every once in awhile.

I'm always up to constructive criticism, though, and will even ask some of the people I do runs with to tell me if I'm doing things that are getting on their nerves. I have only been given positive feedback from people I usually run with (although my regulars on my friends list do know I have a 5 year old who sometimes does things like fall out of her bed in the middle of the night or will need a cup of water, or will puke or some other such thing so I do sometimes just disappear because I have to go rescue her. They're okay with it because of my awesome personality. hahaha).

I'm just kind of a perfectionist and hate going in and not knowing anything and messing up. I think I'll take the suggestion to message a couple people from my friends list and ask them to do a few "tutorial" runs with me where they understand if I am sucking a bit at first.

My death count is deceptively high because I do sometimes just set down the game when things like I mentioned happened (not so much any more once I realized that it does suck to have a high death count) so I have about 8200 kills and about 380 deaths. I hate having a high death count but it is what it is.

Okay, now I'm just rambling. I'm off work in 25 min's and trying desperately to kill time.

ETA: it's really nice to have a map. I'm a very visual person and I like to discuss things to really "get them" so having something to look at and discuss is nice.
    Last edited by Pandamoni; 01-05-2011 at 05:31 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Eh don't worry about the death count. It doesn't really matter much. Or mean much. The game changes so much, it's hard to take it seriously. Those of us who played ao3 when it first came out, got their death count destroyed. Everyone was dying left and right there (but it was fun!). Now it's much easier to stay alive, especially as a Mage. Mages used to get 1 hit-KO'd from yellow aliens!!

So don't worry about the death count and just have fun!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

this definitely needs a sticky..along with phar's enchantress base
    Quote Originally Posted by Justg View Post
    That. Is. AWESOME!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i third the sticky suggestion, this is an amazing guide. it will definetely help me be less of a noob
    Quote Originally Posted by Firepants View Post
    who needs a real girlfriend when you can go into forest haven and get 5 online dating mages at one time?
    BALLS TO YOU

None of your business, creeper... Geez...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

fourth the suggestion, I now have a reason to level up Prodigy
    Expert pvp builder and tester, horrible execution XD
    Quote Originally Posted by Register View Post
    I was trying to be optimistic. Thanks for eating my fries.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

thought i'd bump this awesome guide back to the top with a question! I was just doing a OL run with a group, and one player was just repeating maintain heal buff... After spamming heal trying to heal and spamming rez, they died a couple of times then left the game calling me a noob etc... My question is, how do you maintain heal buff? (i've never heard anyone mention this before) I can only heal as quick as the skill cool downs. Just venting, I've had no complaints before from groups, i guess i just got the rare group of a holes you sometimes run into lol.
    Level 50 Paladin - Hyuuganeji
    Level 10 Dex bird in training - xxsoundwavexx

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Unless they mean Blessing of Vitality, I have no idea. Kind of pointless to maintain is since it doesn't do all that much and the fight should be well over before it runs out. It's likely they meant heal and are unaware about the recast timer and/or incapable of spamming their own potions and just looking for someone to blame.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well that's what i put it down to ayrilana, i didn't see them spamming too many health pots! I asked what they meant by maintain health buff but i got no answer out of them lol. Think i'll wait for some friends to come on and do OL runs with them
    Level 50 Paladin - Hyuuganeji
    Level 10 Dex bird in training - xxsoundwavexx

Guardian of Alterra Physiologic's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Overlord attacks using a limited AoE timed "pulse" attack - you can see its aura around your characters feet (it looks like lighting coming out from your character). This pulse attack occurs every 1.5 seconds. The difficulty in healing as a mage is that you generally can't heal every time he attacks - a mage's heal cooldown is 3 seconds! Therefore the party should realize that they should be spamming potions every 1.5 seconds, regardless of them using a Tanker's Pot Elixir. I've witnessed many parties being wiped out because they want to "conserve pots" but this is entirely absurd in case of OL. Parties should be aware that OL can sneak in a really strong hit every now and then so using up an extra 15-20 pots should really be no big deal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cool guide

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Physiologic View Post
    Overlord attacks using a limited AoE timed "pulse" attack....
    I've also noticed that his AoE attack has a very limited range. However, when it hits someone else, it acts like the attack originated from him. If everyone is spread out all over the room, it'll hit everyone. One strategy would be to position everyone with ranged attacks outside the AoE range of OL's attack from himself and from when it hits the tank (if there is one). You can be out of range from his attacks but still be in range for yours. There would be less reason to heal but I'm sure this would be pretty complicated for random parties to do.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts

Excellent guide...hopefully enough people will see it. Although it is kinda fun watching someone relatively inexperienced charge in without a pot direct at OL

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Good job... I want to hire you as a publisher for my guild: Estraz's Guild -- Members: 37+

Job Offer: http://club-estraz.blogspot.com/

Check Out My Guild's Website: http://club-estraz.blogspot.com/
    *Private message me if you want to join the most rewarding and organized guild ever!
    MEMBERS: 90, ACTIVE MEMBERS: 87, MEMBERS WITH WARNINGS: 1

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

AWESOME GUIDE! Thank you so much. I know my farming is going to be more productive now that I have this understanding of how to efficiently farm VL ! ! !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just wanted to say a quick thank you, this is a VERY informative guide! As a newly 50 character, I grasped the gist of VL runs, but there were a few finer tips that will come in handy for sure!

Thanks a bunch,

Domarin

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts

You didnt put tpaxx tpaxx is importent for the reason that he drops the second most highest price item wraith good thing he is simple just combo him and stay clear of him
    When there is too much

Don't forget