Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Spacetime support - handling scams/loss of items

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts

Default Spacetime support - handling scams/loss of items

"If there is a ToS and rules for everything in game, and if Support always quotes the ToS whilst refusing a recovery when a player gets scammed, then should they even handle scams?"

Above is basically a summary of my thesis.

Hundreds of times I have seen innocent players denied of ANY help whatsoever when they get scammed or lend an item. Yes, we know that all trades are final, people should be more careful and all that. But support handles cases which are SPECIAL, so they should be treated as such - giving some leniency. Yet, the representative does nothing except quote the ToS and give a copy paste message: "Unfortunately we are not able to complete your request at this time. While we strive to satisfy every player request, somethings are outside of the scope of the Customer Support department." They do sometimes ban the scammer, but that is the most obvious thing seen to be as moral in every mmo...

The ONLY case where I have seen a player get back their items after getting scammed (lending) was in PL; the player got their dragon vanity set returned when they countlessly appealed for it. That player was a GoA. I have yet to hear of a normal player actually given back items from STS when the scammer took them.

Even if the scammer is banned, support won't return scammed items! So ultimately, the item itself is banned....

Most cases nowadays prove my thesis, take for example this:
    Limsyoker's Arcane ring - it was lent to a person and that person is banned. WHY is support not returning it? They can check the chat log and see that Limsy lent the Arcane ring, yet they deny her the recovery. 100m - a years earning, down the drain.

● Will refusing a return of the victims items profit STS? No.
    ● Will it profit players? Yeah, as they can keep playing. It can increase their quality of life.
    ● Will it give STS a loss? Why should it? After all the item is just being circulated between a player and a scammer, so by going backwards, STS won't lose anything. Infact, by doing this STS gains a lot of money because players continue playing and continue to buy lots of platinum.

To synthesise, most of the AL community would agree with me that STS should become more lenient when handling scam or item loss cases. STS support representatives should try to recover items if the victim has been scammed (or lent an item) and the person/scammer is banned - why not I mean? All it does is collect dust in a locked inventory. This service should only be allowed ONCE on an account. So for example, if I lent an item to a friend and he ran away with it then support can ban him and lastly return the item to me again, with a warning etc. If I lose any item from my account again, then it cannot be recovered (except in special circumstances). Sure, even this may be harsh as items can only be returned from one scam but it is a better system than now where almost every case is rejected. STS support should use IP address tracking to aid them in checking for legitimacy of stolen item scam reports. If you look at other MMOs like RIFT, their support developers investigate much more into the case and do help return lost/stolen items.

I'll sign off with this closing statement: Support does a good job with a lot of type of cases, STS in general is doing a great job advancing as it develops AL especially considering it has under 50 members of staff, but just this change can make thousands of people who quit want to play again and it can make AL better

Of course, constructive criticism is welcome but please keep off-topic or inflammatory posts out.

- Bless
    Last edited by Bless; 06-21-2014 at 04:20 PM.
    Credits to Iady

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bless For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

"HELP! I'VE BEEN SCAM! MY QUARTERSTAFF IS LOST!"

Btw +1!

IGN: Callmepeer
    Guide: How to use BBCodes!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    150 Posts

so whats the point of this statement

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tendirin View Post
    I'm not trying to be rude but do you even know what a thesis is?

Online Dictionary: 1. a proposition stated or put forward for consideration, especially one to be discussed and proved or to be maintained against.
    Last edited by Bless; 06-21-2014 at 08:20 PM.
    Credits to Iady

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I agree, if someone gets banned while in possession of a lent item the owner should get that item back. Why keep it from them? The lender did not do anything wrong, and had no warning of what was to come. In these cases support should be willing to recover the item, since it is in fact sts who has made the item disappear.

If the person lost an item to a trade scam or a player that they thought they could trust maybe one free pass is the way to handle it. I think the issue with leaving this open ended with unlimited returns is that people will try to cheat the system unfortunately.

When I played WOW I got hacked, they stole everything (no I didn't give out my username or password) and support returned everything to me. I was told that was my one free pass and to get an authenticator on my account otherwise they could not help me again. Once was enough for me, so I think giving the one free pass will really help many of the new players that find themselves in a bad situation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    528 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bless View Post

Online Dictionary: 1. a proposition stated or put forward for consideration, especially one to be discussed and proved or to be maintained against.
    Thesis

The sis

The sister

My sister

---

Nailed it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    68 Posts

Support is trying to make players become more broke basically if they don't handle scams and such xD I guess they have their "reasons"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    150 Posts

I know what a thesis is bless..

Sent from my iPhone using tapatalk,Ign Vploit

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Me think this is good.

+1

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    56 Posts

Because people who got scammed will now scam other people to get their scammed items back. It's a stupid rule STS has in place, all it does is promote scamming through an endless cycle. If I got scammed a mythic, and STS can't give me the mythic back, then I guess people either 1. Deal with it. 2. Quit 3. Work hard for it again 4. Scam someone for "said item" to gain back money.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts

+1, i`d like to get my heraldic set and dws back
    Last edited by Andrisber; 06-22-2014 at 05:57 AM.

For God's SAKE! lvl 15 armor and helm (rare) for tank
    The guy who scored 4m 20s 420ms in Elite

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    935 Posts

I understand why STS doesn't reimburse scammed items/gold.

If STS gave items back, then scams wouldn't be so bad. People would not exercise caution when trading with others. In other words, more scams would take place because there is no risk in lending items.

The support team would be hard pressed dealing with more scam reports added to the already-long response time. It would waste their time dealing with all these extra scam reports.

There needs to be a consequence. A lesson to learn from. Otherwise it would happen again and again.

IGN: Łʊƈɨƒɛʀ
    Join the Discord Community!
    Arcane Legends Discord

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts

I think the bottom line is, if STS do it to one person then they'll be force to comply with others request like those and that's potentially disruptive to the game.
    Kronos Divine Guild Development PICS HERE -- PVP VIDS HERE AL Retiree

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    552 Posts

Wait what? A GoA had his item returned? How do I get this title in order for me to receive the same treatment *sarcasm*
    duck dynasty falls

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by epicrrr View Post
    I think the bottom line is, if STS do it to one person then they'll be force to comply with others request like those and that's potentially disruptive to the game.
    Well DUH! I said everyone can get one and only one chance of item recovery after scam/loss
    Credits to Iady

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zylx View Post
    I understand why STS doesn't reimburse scammed items/gold.

If STS gave items back, then scams wouldn't be so bad. People would not exercise caution when trading with others. In other words, more scams would take place because there is no risk in lending items.

The support team would be hard pressed dealing with more scam reports added to the already-long response time. It would waste their time dealing with all these extra scam reports.

There needs to be a consequence. A lesson to learn from. Otherwise it would happen again and again.
    Limsy's ring wasn't scammed off her. STS banned the person she lent the ring to while he was in possession of it. That is a totally different case from having an item scammed off you. In this case there is no transfer of ownership, the item just stays locked in a banned account. Something that neither Lims nor the person she lent it to were expecting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    935 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Classychic View Post
    Limsy's ring wasn't scammed off her. STS banned the person she lent the ring to while he was in possession of it. That is a totally different case from having an item scammed off you. In this case there is no transfer of ownership, the item just stays locked in a banned account. Something that neither Lims nor the person she lent it to were expecting.
    All trades are final. You arent supposed to give anything to anyone that you might want back. I've ignored this rule a few times (still got my things back from the players), but i understand the risk and accept responsibility for the decision.

I can see it both ways. I too think that if you "lend" an item to someone and they are unable to return it beyond their means, it should be returned to you any other way.

It doesn't matter if you get scammed or not, a trade's a trade.

What STS needs to implement is a "lending" feature where items will get returned to you after a certain time. But we all know this will make STS lose profit (people sharing stuff instead of buying).

IGN: Łʊƈɨƒɛʀ
    Join the Discord Community!
    Arcane Legends Discord

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    78 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bless View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tendirin View Post

Perhaps one should look up the difference between synthesize and summarize while they are in the online dictionary.
    Just my 2 plat

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    528 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kraze View Post
    Perhaps one should look up the difference between synthesize and summarize while they are in the online dictionary.
    In academic writing:

A synthesis is a brief listing of the main points in a paragraph format.

A summary is a brief listing of the main ideas ​in a paragraph format.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Crowsfoot View Post
    Thesis

The sis

The sister

My sister

---

Nailed it
    Erm.."nailed it is referring to what exactly?
    Last edited by Zeus; 06-23-2014 at 10:29 PM.
    Click My Signature to Check Out My YouTube Channel.
    Warning: Any Beggars Will Be Put On Ignore List

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Zeus For This Useful Post: