Thanked in
    2 Posts

Birds r cool even if they have problems with h/s and m/s
    Hello peeps

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No matter equip I use I buy lots of hp and mp pots. With focus, evasion, mage buffs, and my root and skills I survive. If I die dying is part of the game.

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by davidis57 View Post
    No matter equip I use I buy lots of hp and mp pots. With focus, evasion, mage buffs, and my root and skills I survive. If I die dying is part of the game.
    'nuff said. (Inopportune lag and incoming calls, notwithstanding.)
    AL : Blewe | Corrvus | Urrsus
    PL : Anichelith | Corrvus | Urrsus | Rrhino
    Member of Average Joes and C.O.T.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Physiologic View Post
    That's the thing about bears and mages - bears have such high dodge and armor that a high h/s value actually helps them out. Mages have a high mana pool as well as mana shield, so that a high m/s value helps them out.

Birds on the other hand cannot utilize h/s and m/s as well as bears and mages can. If we have a high h/s, then we will still die fast from poor dodge and armor. There's no real reason for us to sacrifice damage for a high m/s. Thus birds are the most expensive class to play regardless of whether or not those skills are maxed

Still - people opt for birds nonetheless.

I found out another reason why there are now more warbirds. I'm not sure whether this should be called "leeching" or something else. Anyways, how it works is that a lot of birds want to get to 56. So, what some birds have been doing is they will respec from dex and put about half their points into str. Then they have better survivability. This ensures that they will have the highest chance possible of surviving a full run with their leveling pot on. On paper, this works very well. In practice though, birds that do this are reducing the team's damage and hence, get less xp during the duration of the run. However, depending on how often the bird dies, the net effect may be a savings on leveling elixirs, so quite a few players opt to do this. A lot of these players seem to leave in Hideout runs right before Gold Fever.

On the plus side, I have seen some good, what might be called "tank birds" or strength birds - that is birds that have put about 70% (sometimes more) of their skills into strength. The damage isn't very high, but the tanking ability is better than one might suspect, although they are still no replacement for bears (no beckon is a weakness).
    Last edited by WhoIsThis; 03-11-2011 at 04:26 PM.

Guardian of Alterra Physiologic's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WhoIsThis View Post
    Still - people opt for birds nonetheless.

I found out another reason why there are now more warbirds. I'm not sure whether this should be called "leeching" or something else. Anyways, how it works is that a lot of birds want to get to 56. So, what some birds have been doing is they will respec from dex and put about half their points into str. Then they have better survivability. This ensures that they will have the highest chance possible of surviving a full run with their leveling pot on. On paper, this works very well. In practice though, birds that do this are reducing the team's damage and hence, get less xp during the duration of the run. However, depending on how often the bird dies, the net effect may be a savings on leveling elixirs, so quite a few players opt to do this. A lot of these players seem to leave in Hideout runs right before Gold Fever.

On the plus side, I have seen some good, what might be called "tank birds" or strength birds - that is birds that have put about 70% (sometimes more) of their skills into strength. The damage isn't very high, but the tanking ability is better than one might suspect, although they are still no replacement for bears (no beckon is a weakness).
    That's another thing that turns people off from birds - if they just focus on surviving more than killing, they simply get quite bored with their bird. I've found that most DEX birds that do enjoy getting in the frontline and eradicating everything fast tend to stick with their birds. It's more fun getting more action than trying to survive, getting a few hits in while the other birds are killing off enemies faster than STR and dual spec'd birds. Birds like me, Mooger, Mitsuisun, et al. enjoy how we play - I'm sure warbirds that try out full DEX and re-style their playing will enjoy it as well Once you go full DEX, you can't go back! Here's a testimony from a convert:

Quote Originally Posted by srcnix View Post
    Physiologic,

I used to be extremely cautious when playing and while sometimes I would run ahead I would tend to stay back from afar and attack. While this was effective it's not half as effective nor as fun as being the "damage" guy. I have taken all your tips and the video into play and I am now, finally, enjoying PL again without having to rely on mages.

I was always stingy with pots, why spend money on pots when mages should be healing. At least, that's how I used to see it. Sadly, though, a lot of the newer players cannot get to gripes with their roles in a team. Thankfully I now can, thanks to this post and others of yours.

Thanks very much for this contribution and bringing the fun back into PL for me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts

Birds like me, Mooger, Mitsuisun, et al. enjoy how we play - I'm sure warbirds that try out full DEX and re-style their playing will enjoy it as well Once you go full DEX, you can't go back!
    Coming from a previous Dex/Str hybrid build myself (not dual, just a bit of Str) I am a firm believer in pure Dex. Takes more concentration to play, but you find yourself paying far more attention to combo timing, placement, and indirectly whoopin' a lot more butt as pure Dex.

I had a couple of Warbirds join my game last night and bail unannounced right before GF. When they rejoined my rmk a couple of minutes later, I told them if they left again before GF, I would perma-boot them from any future game I was hosting. Might be great for PvP, but PvE it defeats the purpose of having a high DPS-capable class to not be doing the most damage possible (as you guys have stated already).
    Moogerfooger - Dex Bird | Moogerfoogerz - Dual Bear |Brutalityz - loser mage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Moogerfooger View Post
    I had a couple of Warbirds join my game last night and bail unannounced right before GF. When they rejoined my rmk a couple of minutes later, I told them if they left again before GF, I would perma-boot them from any future game I was hosting. Might be great for PvP, but PvE it defeats the purpose of having a high DPS-capable class to not be doing the most damage possible (as you guys have stated already).
    From a mage's standpoint, a full dex bird is far more dangerous in PvP than a warbird. Warbird - I can survive long enough to take them out in many cases. Dex bird on the other hand, can snipe like nothing else, especially due to the superior range.

That's another thing that turns people off from birds - if they just focus on surviving more than killing, they simply get quite bored with their bird. I've found that most DEX birds that do enjoy getting in the frontline and eradicating everything fast tend to stick with their birds. It's more fun getting more action than trying to survive, getting a few hits in while the other birds are killing off enemies faster than STR and dual spec'd birds. Birds like me, Mooger, Mitsuisun, et al. enjoy how we play - I'm sure warbirds that try out full DEX and re-style their playing will enjoy it as well Once you go full DEX, you can't go back! Here's a testimony from a convert:

There are reasons why I choose pure int over pally.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Moogerfooger View Post
    Takes more concentration to play, but you find yourself paying far more attention to combo timing, placement, and indirectly whoopin' a lot more butt as pure Dex.

I had a couple of Warbirds join my game last night and bail unannounced right before GF.
    1: definitely lol. At myself, of course.
    I remember yesterday's game. Before that, I spent 1h-2h doing some runs, but the bear wasn't really into bekoning and combo, which is why it felt more like a solo run, with the occasional help of others. A LOT of running around. That's why I usually do when I join new games, and I change my style if I see chars playing their role properly.
    But when you joined with your bear yesterday, I couldn't get used to a proper bekoning and timing that combo lol. It took me a while to switch back.

Back to the topic now:
    - mages usually don't have to pay attention to much detail, due to inherent skills (regen, a high m/s etc), as well as aoe killing
    GOOD mages will often look out for individual members' health status and heal accordingly, in addition to throwing a nature strike and the rest
    - bears, naturally, tank. All they need to do is bekon, wait for a bird to jump in with a combo, wait for the mage to aoe maybe, and stomp.
    They rarely die, they don't care. ;]
    - birds on the other hand, pay the price of their assassin/sniping skills with crappy dodge/h/m/armor, or a mix of those. You have choose 1 element over the other. Too much mixing makes u bad, overrall. Which kind of forces birds to really pay attention to every detail. What is each member doing? Where is he? Enemy placement and threat level, traps, chaining into other members' combo openers, own health and mana, EVERYTHING. It's just you against the world.

2: In a good team, gf can be taken care of in a matter of seconds. 15/20? It's a very little inconvenience compared to the potential drops. I like speed runs, but I find it pointless skipping bosses. Unless the team isn't really fit for it.

On a side note, in order to continue with my previous rant, I just went off from a game. There was a lv55 bear, and sure enough, he was bekoning. What was driving me nuts, is that he was really playing "personal". Didn't wait for others to combo into the bekon, he just bekoned and flew the mob flying right away. Which made everyone waste time in chasing after the mob. Don't really know how to comment on that, since the facts speak for themselves.

Which reminds me, yesterday or the day before, I was doing a run with a full bird party. That was the most fun I've had for quite a while. Birds ftw.
    Last edited by adwin; 03-11-2011 at 06:37 PM.
    IGN: adwinp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Birds like me, Mooger, Mitsuisun, et al. enjoy how we play - I'm sure warbirds that try out full DEX and re-style their playing will enjoy it as well Once you go full DEX, you can't go back! Here's a testimony from a convert:
    I am also a bird that got turned by Physiologic (wait, that sounds weird )

Playing MMORPG for me is about team work, period. From EQ>FFXI>WoW, strategy>skill chained>raid, that's what's "fun" for me. Where a single action links and pieces a whole group of movements and smoothness. That's pure satisfaction and requires everyone to do their job precisely, be the best of the bests, from head to toe gear to playing style.

Since playing from Feb, I've always been a full dex bird that keeps distance like a typical archer/ranger, run like a chicken rely on mage heals (I travel with 2). It wasnt until BS that I start to experience what the team work is like in PL. Regardless of the team configuration of 5 birds, 4 birds 1bear/mage, 3 birds 2x, 2xb 2xb 1xm. You just feel so good when mobs melts away as you run by, or 1 set team combo of "complete annihilation" or 5 birds that wants exp so bad they just goooooo

Of course, regardless of full dex/str/int or multi-million pink gear, if you dont have skills=you dont have skills and will die just like me since lv56

So thank you Phy/Moog/Elar/Kujen, you birds showed me first hand what a bird can be and should be, I hope there are lots of more lucky birds that get to play with you like I have~
    Mits - "die like a Mits" - the original noob that hangs around fire for too long
    Quote Originally Posted by MITSUISUN
    if your party is noobing, chances are you have a mits somewhere.
    Mitsuisun Lv56 full dex bird | Mitsuimoon lv56 full int mage | Mitsuistar str/dex bear

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

You're welcome Mit I've only played pub games until a month and a half ago, when I realized how a core group of dedicated players can really duke it out quickly in XP and loot runs.

The problem with PL is that although it fosters group play, you need to find the "perfect" groups for you, or else you'll probably just have an agonizing time playing (especially in higher levels). It really frustrated me in Victory Lap runs, which was the main reason why I created my Victory Lap guide in the first place

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

To better the community as a whole and upgrade massive audience at the same time. that's why I love readings forums and guides by you guys..... at work p

Hats off for all the posters that spends time to educate us players
    Mits - "die like a Mits" - the original noob that hangs around fire for too long
    Quote Originally Posted by MITSUISUN
    if your party is noobing, chances are you have a mits somewhere.
    Mitsuisun Lv56 full dex bird | Mitsuimoon lv56 full int mage | Mitsuistar str/dex bear

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by adwin View Post
    - mages usually don't have to pay attention to much detail, due to inherent skills (regen, a high m/s etc), as well as aoe killing
    GOOD mages will often look out for individual members' health status and heal accordingly, in addition to throwing a nature strike and the rest
    On the contrary, timing is everything for mages. You just disproved your point above. If a mage does not sync their lightning with a bird's thorn wall, that combo isn't that common. That said, lightning recharges every 3 seconds ...

Another example: When do I buff? Or heal? Immediately after a person is dead, always heal them and save your buffs if you see somebody dead. Mage buffs benefit the entire group.

Position too is everything - do you aim your blast shot and thorn walls off to the side or the middle of a group? A good mage needs to get into the middle of the enemy group or at least close enough so that as many targets in the mob can be hit as possible when spellcasting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

hi P, u mentioned cyber wing of void can be obtained from elie in forest haven?
    tried and did not see any options, please advice. thanks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tonebjr View Post
    You need to complete the entire set of cyber quests before you can obtain one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

You must have completed all the other Cyber quests. If you did and Ellie still didn't give you a shield, then it's highly likely that this quest is no longer available.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by WhoIsThis View Post
    On the contrary, timing is everything for mages. You just disproved your point above. If a mage does not sync their lightning with a bird's thorn wall, that combo isn't that common. That said, lightning recharges every 3 seconds ...

Another example: When do I buff? Or heal? Immediately after a person is dead, always heal them and save your buffs if you see somebody dead. Mage buffs benefit the entire group.

Position too is everything - do you aim your blast shot and thorn walls off to the side or the middle of a group? A good mage needs to get into the middle of the enemy group or at least close enough so that as many targets in the mob can be hit as possible when spellcasting.

1,3: we're talking about aoe vs single point attacks.
    2: this shows that you DO care and pay attention to other members, obviously. I DID mention, and I quote: "a good mage" in my post ;]
    I was generalising in contrast to you, specifying.
    IGN: adwinp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks Whoisthis & Physio, am still on 100 totems for the cyber armor right now, then there are: 50 totems for the cyber skull, then another 5 shadows for the cyber shield right?
    Am actually on 51 bagmas: helm, armor and recurve, which is more appealing (Dang Crits!!) However, even with fine golden ring, seems very difficult to survive on sewers.

Hence am actually thinking helm and armor stay's Bagmans lvl 51, then for weapon use cyber talon & shield of Void, wouldnt it be jacking up my armor and dodge a bit?
    Since bagman's have no SET BONUSES right? or any other gemstone which is not pink, no bonus from set right?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks Whoisthis & Physio, am still on 100 totems for the cyber armor right now, then there are: 50 totems for the cyber skull, then another 5 shadows for the cyber shield right?
    Am actually on 51 bagmas: helm, armor and recurve, which is more appealing (Dang Crits!!) However, even with fine golden ring, seems very difficult to survive on sewers.

Hence am actually thinking helm and armor stay's Bagmans lvl 51, then for weapon use cyber talon & shield of Void, wouldnt it be jacking up my armor and dodge a bit?
    Since bagman's have no SET BONUSES right? or any other gemstone which is not pink, no bonus from set right?
    The cyber quests go in order from: 100 totems for armor, 50 shards for the helmet, 25 shadow essence for the gun and 5 shadow essence for the shield.
    Using cyber talon and Wing would be boosting up dex, armor, dodge, hit, and slighting boosting h/s and m/s at the cost of lower damage and crit
    Yes Bagman does not have a set bonus. Raid roach(pink) is the only one of the 51-55 gear with a set bonus.
    Last edited by thatboyderek; 03-14-2011 at 02:29 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

You'll have to get used to the Bagman's set, but with a good party you will easily do massive damage with more ease. And to add to thatboyderek's statement, only the lv 55 Raid Roach and the lv 55 Customized Gemstone sets have set bonuses.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nice Input Derek,
    In that sence off course the Death Sentinel Talon and Armor would be better?
    Lmao, altho its harder to obtain?

Am currently lvl 52, still lvl-ing in CTK (paper mobs & keeper) or Captive Audience (hoping Tpaxx would get me lucky on wraith armor)
    Should I jump to Sewer, hoping to get lvl 51 gemstone, or stay in Galactic CTK & CA, hoping for Void set, tried Caves for death set, but hardly survived.

Whats your thought?