Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Void vs. Sentinel vs. Sunblessed Sets: An Unbiased Analysis

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheLaw View Post
    Conclusion, Original sets are still better.
    If your purpose is to be a tank, one could argue the Hate is better with the higher armor.

The stats are overall so close when you consider all factors that it really comes down to player skill. I have whooped people in PVP who had better gear then I did at the time...they mighta had the shiny "best" gear but had a little less skill. Kinda hard to use your "best" gear when you're dead due to lack of skill. Just sayin' ;-)
    Moogerfooger - Dex Bird | Moogerfoogerz - Dual Bear |Brutalityz - loser mage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Moogerfooger View Post
    If your purpose is to be a tank, one could argue the Hate is better with the higher armor.

The stats are overall so close when you consider all factors that it really comes down to player skill. I have whooped people in PVP who had better gear then I did at the time...they mighta had the shiny "best" gear but had a little less skill. Kinda hard to use your "best" gear when you're dead due to lack of skill. Just sayin' ;-)
    That is certainly true. And the same (however, not as apparent) applies to PvE. If you're a skilled player, not taking too many risks, you will survive with lower armor. If you're good at doing your combos well, you're still going to do more damage than a player with better gear but less understanding. So when it comes down to your performance in a group, it's more a question of skill than gears. If you have void, cyber or sentinel wouldn't matter at all.

When you start looking at stats when you're debuffed, that's when it gets exciting. For example: an enchantress might drop down to 50-60% hit from 100% simply by getting debuffed by mobs and bosses. If you're an avian using the regular void set, that would mean you will still have 90-100% hit. If you're wearing cyber or sentinel it will go down to 70-80%. Also, a higher crit rate will compensate for a lower damage. A higher dodge rate will (if n=infinity) compensate for a few points of lost armor. So what this all comes down to is:

1. If you can't stand to use gear that is considered to be inferior to the supposedly "best gear in the game". Get Sentinel.
    2. If you like the good ol' days when lvl 50 became the new lvl cap and you're a bit nostalgic. Get/Use the regular Void set.
    3. If you're poor/you don't want to have a shiny purple armor or consider yourself a nerd totally devoted to anything that has the word Cyber in it. Go do the damn quest.

However, stacking up on sets is just to brag. Owning and flashing all of the sets is just showing off that you have:
    1. Enough gold to buy the sets.
    2. Enough time to do the quests.
    3. Too few friends (with other interests than PL).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh, by the way. Incredible work. Haven't read any comparisons based on practical experience. This is so much better than the usual "I think that 10% extra hit and 2% crit will seriously change the way I play the game". But it would be even more awesome to have a person with A LOT of spare time to do this with a series of runs, almost making it an automated process. When your run times differ with less than 15-20 seconds, that's when you've reached a steady state. Otherwise the difference between your void runs will make the values a bit too uncertain.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

How do you think this would differ for PVP though?

I'd have to say that void or sentinnel seems the better of the two, although I'm just guessing. Although the sunblessed set gets more damage, the enemy will be able to get the first shot off at you, and split second advantages are critical.

Guardian of Alterra Physiologic's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

I certainly agree that skill is a major determinant of outcome, both in PvE and PvP.

Give a civilian a sniper rifle and ask him to shoot a deer 100 yards away. Now give a highly decorated veteran sniper a pistol and ask him to shoot a deer 100 yard. Who is more likely to kill the deer The utlity of ANY weapon, real or virtual, relies on the holder.

As with the amount of runs to do, I do agree that more runs would give more conclusive results. Someone said a few posts back exactly how many runs I needed to do, and that equated to way too many hours of playing. However, I may start to at least add an extra run for each weapon set daily, until I am fatigued from this study.

And yes, I will dedicate a section indicating how Void/Sentinel is on average, better in PvP due to their much longer range of attack.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

This post is dead

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Physiologic View Post
    I certainly agree that skill is a major determinant of outcome, both in PvE and PvP.

Give a civilian a sniper rifle and ask him to shoot a deer 100 yards away. Now give a highly decorated veteran sniper a pistol and ask him to shoot a deer 100 yard. Who is more likely to kill the deer The utlity of ANY weapon, real or virtual, relies on the holder.

As with the amount of runs to do, I do agree that more runs would give more conclusive results. Someone said a few posts back exactly how many runs I needed to do, and that equated to way too many hours of playing. However, I may start to at least add an extra run for each weapon set daily, until I am fatigued from this study.

And yes, I will dedicate a section indicating how Void/Sentinel is on average, better in PvP due to their much longer range of attack.
    i get the feeling the civilian is going to win this one
    i dont think the pistol is effective at that range
    a 9mm is effectice to like 50 meters

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts

Amazing job, really impressive