The theory behind this idea is that many people cannot/won't want to run all of VL + Caves in one run. It will also disallow people from joining Cave runs that don't really "deserve" to.
For this to work, Caves would have to be locked games that cannot be joined (even via friends) except when a Checkpoint is acquired.
The idea is this:
- NPC Checkpoints will be available at the beginning of each cave.
- The highest level cave Checkpoint you reach on a run will determine your checkpoint accrual for that run if you happen to leave/disconnect prior to the Next Level button appearing for that Cave.
- Once Cave 5 is cleared, the Checkpoints you've accrued for the run will be cleared.
- Your accrued checkpoints will determine what Cave you are now able to join from the Join/Friends screen.
- Once you've entered, the Cave Number will deduct the appropriate checkpoints credit from your accrual.
- I suppose someone could enter Cave 4 right before it is cleared and get into Cave 5, thus saving 1 Checkpoint credit.
- There could be timing issues for someone who lags out right before the Next Level button shows which wouldn't allow them to get the next Checkpoint.
- Early on, there won't be people to fill partial groups since not many will have Checkpoints
This is just a first blush of this idea. Please offer some tweaks!
As an aside:
Perhaps there should also be a post-nerf, slightly better version of these Elite Pinks.