View Poll Results: The "Shadow Cave" teleporter in Victory Lap should...

Voters
86. You may not vote on this poll
  • Appear MORE frequently (but not be *guaranteed* to show up).

33 38.37%
  • Appear LESS frequently than it does right now.

4 4.65%
  • ALWAYS appear when you finish Victory Lap. (Which will definitely mean a nerf to the boss drop rates or boss spawn frequency.)

33 38.37%
  • Stay as it is! (Your so-called "fixes" RUIN the game!!)

16 18.60%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: "Elite Shadow Cave" teleporter spawn frequency

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

always appear when you finish Victory Lap. nerf the boss drop rate. boss should always spawn at the end of a level. when/if set bonuses come out, nerf drop rate from bosses even more. also, please increase the trash drop rate. i lost money last night from all the pots and elixirs i consumed from doing shadow dungeon runs. thanks

update: reason being if i can join a shadow game i should be gauranteed access to the portal if i take the time to clear victory lap. when/if bonuses for hate death and shadows happens it should be proportionately more difficult to obtain the set (aka portal occurs less frequently, cant join games (invite only), bosses may or may not spawn.
    Last edited by ECHUSER; 01-13-2011 at 09:10 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why didn't you guys just make it like Frozen Nightmares was when it first came out? We had to unlock the succeeding dungeons, it was super hard, even for level 45s (and 50s later on), and the pink drop rates were pretty decent even though they were not entirely common. The campaign also required a lot of teamwork and was difficult enough for low levels to stay away from it. At least before it was nerfed.

Tying the new dungeons to Victory Lap makes it more complicated than it should be, especially if the portal is guaranteed to appear anyway. As some have pointed out, this is a casual game. Not everyone has hours on end to get through all the maps in one sitting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts

Oh man, I'm in the minority again. LOL. I'd go for either of the not guaranteed options. I voted for more frequently than now, but I do like the random spawns and I think players are hardcore enough that even as it is now, people will still manage to run it and run it frequently enough that there will be gears, though maybe a bit on the higher market value side.

I only ask to be invited in so I and other players who play in smaller snippets of time can play there occasionally.

Star light, star bright...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I think it should appear more frequently but not guaranteed.
    Though I do believe it needs some change in concept.

It's an Elite dungeon so it's supposed to be designed for the more hardcore players instead of the normal, casual players. So there should be a little grind involved to get there.

As for the Shadow Cave itself, I think it's safe to say that a lot of people are getting annoyed of how boring it is more than challenging.

A few suggestions that I have in mind is instead of filling the room with 100+ mobs that do nothing different from the typical ao3 mob other than hit harder and have more health, lessen the number around 30 to 50, tops. Like many people have stated, no strategy is involved in killing these mobs and they only require TONS of pots.

Then instead of just having one boss in one room, why not add a little twist by having 2 D'Jinns with a boss, or 2 bosses at the same time. Not only would this give the newly buffed bears a tanking purpose, but crowd control tactics may finally become handy.

Shadow Cave has a lot of potential but I do hope that you consider majority of our inputs before making another decision so we, including devs, don't have to deal with too many "fixes."
    Anybody can sacrifice a queen. The real trick is getting away with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

make it harder to get in but add set bonuses to the new armor sets!!! just sayin

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

all i can say is thank god i got all my new gear as i know any new updates gets nerfed after the first 3 days.... phew~!
    IGN: Inching

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Okay, I voted for always appear because:

1. All areas of the game should be accessible without a huge headache.
    2. Even if it's played all the time, it's a grind and loot won't be easy to come by.

As for the loot nerf that would accompany it. I ask you devs to please reconsider, as it stands now the loot doesn't drop that much and it's a long tough grind to get to the end of each cave.

BTW, Cinco, you outdid yourself with the update, the boss encounters are awesome, multiple bosses, tough as nails, need all classes to clear them, good job!

Kraz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Shemron View Post
    Dam pressed the wrong vote -_- anyway more frequent but not guaranteed seems fair.
    Me too

please dont nerf the caves anymore they have been nerfed enough already
    i dont want to spend all that time and gold without at least getting 1 good pink
    i have already stopped going to the caves since the first nerf. i want a reason to go back into the caves. there should be a reward other than rsi (repetitive strain).
    Tupaclegend lvl 62 Warrior
    proud member of C.O.T

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

I finally got into the new caves last night and the multiple boss encounters are awesome! At some point we ran into the witch, the shadow prince and another boss all in the same room. We got wiped twice with 3 palas and 2 birds, almost all double potted. Finally someone brought in a bear who could separate the witch from the others better, and we defeated them then. I'm gonna start playing my bear again - they are far from useless now. Love the challenge!! Thank you!!!

As for the loot nerf, I agree with Kraz - the current nerf is quite drastic already. I haven't heard from anyone yet who has ever seen a rare drop (other than AO3 junk pinks). People are saying things like "playing the caves, just for fun" (meaning no loot) and "nothing to farm here". I'm going to be playing the caves for fun even with the all white loot, but it would be nice to have some reward to show after defeating possibly the most difficult dungeons we have ever seen in the game.

I think a drop rate similar to AO3 Victory Lap would not be unreasonable. I don't think it would make the market crash. VL has been farmed and overfarmed for months, can be rush farmed and is about 100 times easier than the caves - and still the loot that's in demand was going for 200-300k before the new stuff came out. We have a lot of players getting to the level cap just now, and the demand for level 50 stuff is there.

Seeing something like maybe 1 or 2 rares per five level cave run would be enough to keep morale up, and would give casuals an incentive to farm for the gear they're missing, and hardcore farmers an incentive to keep farming the caves rather than just make money merching the loot they accumulated during the past week.
    Kalielle - level 56 mage | Kaley - level 55 roundup bear | Clusterstorm - level 55 rush paladin
    Quote Originally Posted by noobmigo View Post
    Clusterstorm? Pshh, he merely leads the fastest games ever.
    Pocket Legends Video Tutorial

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

All I want is a better item drop rate. Missed the day before the patch
    Mains: Dahood lvl55 Archer/Lvl11 Operative/Prest lvl36 Tank

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

Lol considering how some of us don't even get loot from VL drop rates, further nerfing not good. Just saying.
    404 - not found ...maybe one day...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I kind of like it the way it is now because of the prices on the new items. Also, it allows those "hardcore" players to farm Victory Lap without even knowing it while they are waiting for the Caves to appear.

However, I think it best that you cannot just "join" in any caves whenever you choose to. People work hard to get to a the 3-5 caves. So someone joining it is like an insult to all the hard work. I don't know that's just me :/

I like how you (Devs) allowed for 100% drop rates the day of the update. =-)

But now, my only complaint is that Caves 4 & 5 are kinda sketchy (sorry). There are so many hard Boss's that it takes multiple Pots to even beat them. And those aren't really that cheap. And without a good chance of getting something that isn't "green" or "white", it just feels like a waste of money by the end of it. =-(

p.s. Asommers, stop scaring me! hehe (I know I'm your favorite Pally *wink)

Lvl 50 Faryia (Dual Str & Int)

p.s.s. I have 3 Sets of all Cave pinks if anyone wants to buy =-) Thanks!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For me it's all about balance.

1. Getting a portal to spawn? Difficult. Victory Lap is easy, Portal spawn rate is rare. I say difficult because i'm looking at this question from a time consumption standpoint. It may take you a few hours to even get a portal to spawn.

2. The trash / Bosses in Shadow Caves? Fairly Difficult, depending on the group you get. Those 3 pulls with the Prince, Witch, Lord are rediculous.

3. Getting a Shadow Cave boss to drop pinks? Extremely Difficult, taking into account the above questions, on top of their rare drop rate.

4. Gold cost while doing Shadow Caves? Extreme. I feel like the Shadow Caves can be very doable if I just dump money into it. I can almost solo every boss and trash pulls if I be careful, keep a Melee / Tanker pot up and Spam the crap out of my HP pot. It would take me probably cost me well over 25,000 gold in Elixirs and HP/Mana pots to clear one level. I'm a bird in Rift. I get sick of people sucking vs Djinn's, so I put on my rift gear and take control and tank it. Everything stablizes but I use 100+ hp pots for one mob. That's 1,500g.

So here is the last qualifier that makes me feel none of the above is even worth the time. Nothing in the game is as difficult as the Shadow Caves yet, the new gear isn't OMG I GOTTA HAVE IT so much better than anything else. It may be a little better, or it's arguable. So for me, it's about balance. You have to make the gear hands down the best, no question, if you want to keep the difficulty of everything above the same. Otherwise, you need to nerf the content if you aren't going to adjust the gear.

If you do adjust the gear, a set bonus would be great and do just that, make the new gear the best, hands down. But please do it right. The new gear should help make the new content easier and there isn't any doubt in what is going to do that. Damage, Armor, and hit (I woulda said crit but new gear lacks hit in a big way).

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

^I agree with all this. But we have this problem where tons of people already have the new gear and didn't have to work much for it, while people just starting it didn't have that opportunity. The caves are fun, but they're a gold sink and the rewards are gear that most of us already have.

If this is supposed to be the best gear in the game, and this hard to obtain, yeah it needs way better stats than the other stuff. But if they just improve what we've already got, to make it super-awesome, that's just another blow to the people who weren't there while it was 100% drop rate.

Maybe add more new gear to the caves, gear that nobody already has. Like *elite* versions of what we've already gotten from there. That would make it where anyone going to the caves has a fair opportunity to get it, because the drop rate will be the same and nobody has already easily gotten it. It would also compel those who already have the current sets to want to go back and farm for something better.
    Last edited by Kujen; 01-14-2011 at 04:02 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kujen View Post
    ^I agree with all this. But we have this problem where tons of people already have the new gear and didn't have to work much for it, while people just starting it didn't have that opportunity. The caves are fun, but they're a gold sink and the rewards are gear that most of us already have.
    lots of games have bonuses for people who where there first, who supported the game first, etc. it's commonplace, PL already does it. i dont see any recurrence of original green droid ears ever again. so most of the hardcores got our gear already, still no reason to not make it worthwhile. we where there playing on it the first day, and so we got it for being first. thats life.
    404 - not found ...maybe one day...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Balgreta View Post
    ok from a fun point of view, we had 2 shadow witch's on the 3rd map.. in seperate areas at the end. one shadow witch also had a shadow prince and a shadow genie (i think genie) with her and one was solo with a few mobs.

we spent near 20k on pots, countless deaths but they all died in end... yeah it was fun because it was so hard, yeah it was super super annoying and pointless that we had to use over 25 hp pots or more each per boss (i was only mage) and yeah it was even more annoying not one of the 4 boss's we had on the 3rd map dropped anything more than yellow loot !!

btw first two maps didn't drop any pinks either.

So, we are almost there, the challenge is awesome, but the loot is dire - i personally wont be going back in there the way i feel at the moment - sure the hardness was cool but i do also want some reward for killing 3 boss's at the same time and another clone of the hardest boss in game by herself for no reward, it was a kick in the teeth for the 20k of pots that each player bought while we figured out teh kill order.

not to mention the 10man hrs invested into a game that is meant to be able to be done when you have a spare half hour. If i wanted long raids i would just play mmo's on a pc and enjoy better graphics tactics and rewards!!
    Agree 100% I did the same last night, and had a good few hours of play. In the end i bought the items,, after spending 50k in pots, countless hp and mana tank and dmg. ones. The reward, time and energy it was simply not worth it.

And don't even get me started on ppl who made hundreds and millions, who of course, want to keep the drop rate low. Yeah, I understand you, but this is ridiculous. There is a post of a guy who's done 45 runs and got lucky with a drop. Well me and my party, some with luck pots done the same. NOT A SINGLE PINK DROP for ANYONE. In 30+ long runs.

Fun, fun, fun.

The only plus sides are the challenge, but a challenge is worth nothing without a reward. For a challenge I'll play with no armor on some levels, hehe.

First, some of us who work really hard for equipment, rift, cyber, etc. had to see shadow items on almost every 50. Then they were practically gone, and the prices went up. I feel the devs went from one extreme to the other. First too many then too few (well, none)

I suggest a guarantee pink drop, to keep the party together, i see more green loot already appears, that's fine, to balance the money spent.

As others have said, this is a mobile mmo, if I wanted 4 hours runs ill play wow.(at least u get a drop there) But 4 hours runs, hoping the party sticks together, getting bankrupt in the process, and getting virtually no drops is not fun anymore.

Thank you.

PS. Its funny that people that already have 3 sets wanna lower further the drop rates. Sound a little to hypocritical for me.

PSS I post this in another thread but it is better here.

Guardian of Alterra Physiologic's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

As someone that benefited from the rock bottom prices of the elite pinks, I have to say I do feel sorry for those who missed out on this opportunity; I would feel frustrated as well. In my humble opinion, the devs should just do a rust storm or roll back to give everyone an equal opportunity once again to obtain the pinks.

I know roll backs are horrible for the economy, a pain in the neck for devs to go through, and overall major suckage, but it seems fair.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Rollback ?

Also, seeing the rewards and how the market was flooded, I cannot image who is gonna keep going after shadow drops.

People who don't have them will realize is not worth it, cost you more gold, time, energy for a chance to get them. Either buy them in market, or do Cyber quest, or farm/buy rift etc.

People who already got them, will not go after them, as again, its not worth it. If I had 3 sets each, as someone was bragging, I will spend time selling, at the best, not going after just another item.

Do not get me wrong, I like the challenge, I like to quest and farm( if there is something), but it is just ridiculous to get through 20 ppl in a party, just to kill a boss thats got a very low chance to drop an item you may not even need, lol.

And as someone said, all this would be slightly less frustrating without people stashing full sets.

Maybe rollback is a solution, with a properly design Shadow Cave this time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I voted for always appear at the end of VL runs, although i have an idea that may keep people happy with farming for the new items. I agree with keeping the drop rate low, considering these are classed as "elite" items. But what if you made it so when the elite items do eventually drop, everyone in the party receives an item. That way, it will keep a steady circulation of new items floating around, but not to the extent of a flooded market due to the extremely low drop rate... Just my thoughts
    Level 50 Paladin - Hyuuganeji
    Level 10 Dex bird in training - xxsoundwavexx

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts

if the teleporter apper more or less frequently it doestn make any difference to the rarity of the elite gear...
    i have still that problems :
    - drop rate to low
    - no trash drops exept from shadows
    - to less gold drops from mobs
    - PL - Founder and proud C.O.T. officer
    RicciTS > DEX Bird L77 | Ricci > INT Mage L76 | XCarver> STR/DEX Bear L71
    and many more....