Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Booting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Kalielle, those are exactly my thoughts -- I just didn't type it all out

I think those of us who have really come to value a good group of friends to play with, are the most concerned about these issues. I barely play any pugs anymore because I like knowing I can trust my team not to backstab me. The more precautions set in place to prevent people from screwing others over, the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalielle View Post
    This sounds like a great idea! In addition, I had the same thought as Les - it would be great if host privileges could be passed on. Right now there's a lot of pressure on the host to stay through the end of all the cave levels so that the group is not left without a responsible host. This would solve that, and it makes sense that the current host should be able to choose his successor. It would also allow the host to switch alts without worries, so long as there's one other trusted person in his group.

One issue right now is that if the host leaves in a game or has to switch alts, the person who happens to click next is made host for the next game. I was in a group last night and we fought our way through several of the caves, at which point someone had to leave and we had a fifth random join mid-game. Meanwhile the host had to switch alts because we were lacking a mage. Then at the end of the game it so happened that the random we didn't know clicked next first and was host for the new game. Luckily he was cool, but he could have booted us all and invited his own friends even though we were the ones who had cleared VL and fought through the first few levels. The ability to pass on host power would prevent situations like this. A voting system helps only for the level where the host left, not for the next level that's created with a new host.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When the host leaves, let the new host be the player who has been in the group longest.

That seems the most fair solution.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts

in caves that happen to me...
    i joined a existend party, cleared map to next level, and after a while i saw that i could boot ppl...? how happened?
    could it be so: hoster leaved, i was the fist one who pressed "go to next map" and i got hoster of game..?
    - PL - Founder and proud C.O.T. officer
    RicciTS > DEX Bird L77 | Ricci > INT Mage L76 | XCarver> STR/DEX Bear L71
    and many more....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

so voting, with max 5 users in game. Vote about 1 user. Friends vs no-friend will be a 2 on 2 vote?
    Level 54 -- Level 07 -- Level 50
    Ursanblessing - Icannotres - Birdinpink
    Warrior --- Mage --- Bird

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    378 Posts

Good idea, often host leaves for a while and cant come back because party full, or a low lvl joins and you cant get rid of them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

about time this was implemented... Thanks a lot...
    Sig by KLEMEN
    IGN: E͡ℭ͟ӈҿͥ͜lͣoͫղg level 56 Mega Mage/Sewer mage ~ EchelongX lvl 55 Dex Bird

Guardian of Alterra FluffNStuff's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by asommers View Post

3) If you're in a game with no host, the boot button will initiate a 10 second vote. If at least half of the number of players that are in the game also vote to boot the player, the player will be ousted.

Thoughts?

-ALS

PS. 1.7 adds an optional minimum level requirement for the dungeon, so as the host, you can specify that an AO3 game is guaranteed that only 45-50 can join.
    Couple things, one, I don't like three AT ALL, but if you are going to implement this, I am asking for a couple 'protections'.
    1) Boot privilege is NOT implemented in public maps (any map that did not start with a host in the first place).
    2) You can NOT vote to boot someone that joined a map BEFORE you.
    3) A player can NOT be booted from the game after they have been there a minimum (say, 5 minutes) time period.

As for the specify the level for a game, I REALLY like that idea as long as the ~lowest~ minimum is the minimum for the area. Games locked to level 50's only in the swamps is just a bad idea.

The Hundred Acre Legends:
    HunnySniper - HunnyStorm
    Please Fill out the End Game Pet Survey!|||||| What's With that Shield Icon?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

this is the end for leechers
    404 - not found ...maybe one day...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Fluffnstuff has a good point. Say you and a friend join an open map and 3 new people join and decide to boot you out. On the other hand, we can just host a game and invite people. I am all for more hosting options as mentions in a previous post on this thread. Devs again you have won me over by actually listening to us and talking to us even in game. Special thanks to asommers, cinco, justg, and cassric for the personal touch you all give this game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    372 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arterra View Post
    this is the end for leechers
    Not when the host is the friend of them... was playing in AO2, not AEO , but there was a lvl 11 and lvl 13.... didn't want to leave because we were doing so well.. amazingly... just 3 people.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    260 Posts

Min level FTW!!! thanks, devs.

I know all that other fancy stuff like a drop-down for Character Wanted (select one of 9 possible), and another for Type of Game (farming, grinding, clearing) probably would never fit into the window for a phone, and is probably not really necessary.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by asommers View Post
    here's what i'm planning on implementing (this can all be server-side, and can be in a content update next week):

1) if you're the host, you're always allowed to boot.
    2) if you're in a game with a valid host, only the host can boot
    3) if you're in a game with no host, the boot button will initiate a 10 second vote. If at least half of the number of players that are in the game also vote to boot the player, the player will be ousted.

Thoughts?

-als

ps. 1.7 adds an optional minimum level requirement for the dungeon, so as the host, you can specify that an ao3 game is guaranteed that only 45-50 can join.
    chop chog huray to the awsome assomer
    Mrbanana,Fathomgen,Mrluffy,Pleasemenow,Expiired,Mr sluffy

Whoever found this post helpful vote up

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kujen View Post
    Along the lines of minimum level, I've also posted some ideas about private games. Right now friends and friends of friends can join them. How about some hosting options when setting up your private game, like "password required", "friends", "extended network of friends". Because often you get people joining when you don't want them to, and they don't even have to know the password.
    +1

I love soloing. The folks on my friends list are awesome, but sometimes I just want the map to myself, just to hit one boss and exit, or practice skills and combos, or figure out damage with a new weapon. Locked games should be invite-only.

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Barbamitsos View Post
    Asommer* >_<
    gaabob - lv50 pally/mage; gaabobtwo - lv50 dual bird; gaabobthree - lv50 intbear/strbear; gaabobfour - lv50 dextress; gaabobfive - lv50 bowbear; gaabobtwink - lv20 intbear twink; deathsparkles - lv20 bird twink; a mule; and a lv47 ao2 farmer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Barbamitsos View Post
    caught. at least i catch it and edit it when i write that... which is always...
    404 - not found ...maybe one day...

the REAL jersey shore not that crap from the tv
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dizzy, i CANT agree with you more. i've actually had to remove people from my friends list simply because they kept jumping into my soloing games, passworded or not. I would love the lockout to be implemented in full, friend or not, if it's passworded, you should need the password to join.

one guy in particular wouldn't stop hounding me, i'd get messages like "WELL...?" when i didn't open a new dungeon because he wanted to just ride along behind me, collecting the cash, potions, and drops and to make matters worse, his friends would get invited by him or join the dungeon with him because he was there.

asommers, as for the idea about the 10 second vote. it's a great idea, but it'll take up some space on the phone and would have to be placed strategically and succinctly like

BOOT at the bottom with a small yes / no box but no more text that that because if you're engaged in battle with a pile of mobs, you dont want your healer stuck reading lines of text and trying to hit a button when they should be focussed on keeping everyone alive.

also, i agree with a comment mentioned before, if someone's lagging they might only catch the last 2 or 3 seconds of the text.

here's my opinion on it.

-allow a boot vote, keep it simple
    -10 seconds might be good for some but bad for others
    -the groups are small but 3 votes to knock them out should win it
    -if the person was invited by the leader, that should override a boot vote always. last thing i want is to invite a newbie friend to help them and have some schmo vote them out eventhough i'm the leader

and the minimum level requirements is a GREAT idea.

thanks for asking for our feedback, that's what makes this game so much fun, you guys as devs are hands on with the community.

reinstitute the droid! lol j/k but i do want black antennae and it stinks that i can't find them for sale because they're no-trade items. but that's also
    what adds the fun to it. if you want it you have to earn it, just is kinda bleh because i didn't learn about it until a few days ago
    Orlox (51) Archer - Zombified (56) Enchantress - Murdalyzer (55) Warrior Frightmare(20) Operative

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last350, if your a ao3 gen(?) we see you farmed and leeched on lv50s when you were low lv..
    IGN: Skellerkrunch(50), Hawkrobin(50), Magiclegends(50), Oktal(45), Bladesword(45), mamccroc(35) Plothozz(30), Lechomp(20), Oktal (20), Monseiurlebow(20), Tharef(20), Smackolantern(19),

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

regarding the topic, i agree. sometimes it sucks when host leaves and no one has any control.

another thing u might add regarding hosting games, is how a passworded game is available to friends or not, cause when i create a passworded game sometimes i really want to solo and friends can still join without password!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Requirements are a great addition. Thx.
    I never boot since asking, although longer, always does the job. Who wants to play with ppl who tell you you are not wanted.
    I was about to ask for another requirement ( reason have to be at least five char. "sorry" being the default ) but since the vote will be clear enough a message that at least someone wants you out, I guess most will leave before the 10 seconds) so thats great.
    Thank you again devs for this great game.

None of your business, creeper... Geez...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

I can see the Boot button being used as a fight staller. Someone's losing, lets distract everyone and stall the game by requesting a boot. Just saying....
    Expert pvp builder and tester, horrible execution XD
    Quote Originally Posted by Register View Post
    I was trying to be optimistic. Thanks for eating my fries.