Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are people still playing Shadow caves?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Are people still playing Shadow caves?

I've been playing my new play (at the proper level) so I haven't got to this point. any up dates on how the clearing vl first stuff is going, and if there is much action there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Not so much anymore. I think a lot of people hate that it's such a pain to clear their way to a boss and not get a drop. Many people got what they needed the first night it was released either through drops or on the CS.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

I hardly play it now. I wold still like some pieces for my mage, but it really isn't much fun as it is. I notice on my friends list that most people aren't in there any more. I hope they fix it, it could be a lot of fun. I wonder if they gather stats on where people play and can see trends. I bet shadow caves has pretty much tanked.
    PL: Arazoro [76] ranger | Noerbert [76] archer | Zeanaca [76] sorceress | Arbert [76] warrior
    AL: Teamar [22] rogue | Barimar [21] sorcerer | Guark [21] warrior

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Yeah I think people aren't going there as much anymore. I've noticed people are starting to rush VL again for the bosses they want, and not clearing all for the portal. Though I personally wouldn't mind clearing, I wish people would at least clear the middle room.

I'm not interested in the shadow caves much right now because 1. I already have what I want and 2. I just lose money there buying pots. It is more profitable to farm VL for gear to sell.
    Kujen 56 Bird / Rahki 55 Bear / Silvanya 55 Mage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Norbert View Post
    I hardly play it now. I wold still like some pieces for my mage, but it really isn't much fun as it is. I notice on my friends list that most people aren't in there any more. I hope they fix it, it could be a lot of fun. I wonder if they gather stats on where people play and can see trends. I bet shadow caves has pretty much tanked.
    this is the result of greedy ripoff artist whinning on forum about item price crash where they can't make in hundreds of thousands. there's been a change to make them happy so i don't think there's gonna be another

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lordme View Post
    this is the result of greedy ripoff artist whinning on forum about item price crash where they can't make in hundreds of thousands. there's been a change to make them happy so i don't think there's gonna be another
    It wasn't the result of a greedy rip off artist. In actuality rift gear crashed from 750k to 300k... Void from 600k to 250k Cosmos was barely worth 200k... After that update with 100 percent pink drop rates. It has NEVER happened in a game before and needed to be fixed, it WAS crashing the economy so this was the solution, although they could have removed existing items from the dungeon so everybody got a fair chance... And this is coming from someone who has every single set in the game.
    Click My Signature to Check Out My YouTube Channel.
    Warning: Any Beggars Will Be Put On Ignore List

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Lol not everyone who complained are "greedy rip-off artists." Just people who understand that 100% drop rate for the best gear in the game does not help the game in any way. Those of us who asked for the drop rate to be lower did not have any control in HOW low they made the drop rate.
    And they likely will change it again to make it more worthwhile, when they see no one is going into the caves.

What they should have done when they saw the game being flooded with he elite items, was do a quick patch to close the caves temporarily until they could figure out the proper drop rate. But they didn't and people had 2-3 days to loot the stuff. So now it's just gonna take longer for the items available to thin out.

Yes, some people made a killing on those first few days, but not everyone. And that's not why we all wanted it to change.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lesrider View Post
    Lol not everyone who complained are "greedy rip-off artists." Just people who understand that 100% drop rate for the best gear in the game does not help the game in any way. Those of us who asked for the drop rate to be lower did not have any control in HOW low they made the drop rate.
    And they likely will change it again to make it more worthwhile, when they see no one is going into the caves.

What they should have done when they saw the game being flooded with he elite items, was do a quick patch to close the caves temporarily until they could figure out the proper drop rate. But they didn't and people had 2-3 days to loot the stuff. So now it's just gonna take longer for the items available to thin out.

Yes, some people made a killing on those first few days, but not everyone. And that's not why we all wanted it to change.
    Ya, if they don't change the droprate to be a LITTLE more frequent though, I'm going to start buying out everything considering then these will be rarer then green ice.
    Click My Signature to Check Out My YouTube Channel.
    Warning: Any Beggars Will Be Put On Ignore List

Chronicler of Alterra nazgulking's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

Apart that 100% drop rate is not good unless the boss is particularly difficult, I kind of agree with your statement. I'm also happy that the economy crashed, since 600k for some pieces, or even more, is insane (and yes I've farmed a lot and still think this way). For me more then 50k I wouldn't sell, but if this is too harsh maximum 150k. Above this price is just plain insane.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree with the need to change the drop rate. Give the developers a break. they tried something new, realized it was too much and adjusted. sound like a winning plan to me. for the people who happened to be there first and benefit, more power to them. they just as easily could be first for something else that nerfs up to their detriment. That the luck of the draw.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

While I agree the drops shouldn't be 100% for each player like originally, something needs to be done with the caves to make me want to return.
    Over the weekend our group cleared the caves 1-5 a couple times... how many pinks dropped? ONE..and it was a plasma sword of rift!
    I think something is messed with the loot tables now.
    The caves are lot harder now with multiple bosses grouped with witch.. which is fine, it should be hard...but to get mostly white drops after all that?? give us the honey pot at the end if we are successful!

I won't be going back until caves are fixed.. make it fun, and throw us a bone once and awhile!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Remember the days when wraith armor was selling at 1.2m? For me i bought my full sets of cosmo, void and rift with gold. Only 2 or 3 pcs from farming. The gold drop in PL doesnt justify the selling prices. If they increase the gold drop then it would be fine. Also remember when the devs made a screw up in increasing the gold drop in ao3 and resulting in alot of locked games farming gold in crush the keeper? The fixed it. So this time when they crushed the market its actually gives players who dont know how or where to farm gold a chance to have some elite items. Now they have fixed the cave, i also not complaining, if you find it not worthwhile then stay away. Btw i also bought my full sets of death, hate and shadows. Its back to farming gold again, simple

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

It doesn't matter. They could very well release a new dungeon/campaign soon that has better loot making the Shadow Caves just a teaser.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts

from my list plays max 5-10% of friends caves....
    i ignore any invites to caves..

i noticed that ppl doing now many others... swamps (prices sinking ugh), farm vyx or green ice, pvp, frozen nightmare, of farm any lower map.. i like it so, more variety
    - PL - Founder and proud C.O.T. officer
    RicciTS > DEX Bird L77 | Ricci > INT Mage L76 | XCarver> STR/DEX Bear L71
    and many more....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They went from one extreme (100% drop rates for everyone) to the absolute other extreme of never having any worthwhile drops; despite increasing the difficulty.

I've had so many groups that when the portal appears, no one goes simply because it's not worth their while. It's ashame...

I think the drop rates need to be increased from current levels slightly so that at least someone gets a pink drop while a group goes through the five levels.

At the current drop rate, Shadow items are under priced and will only go up. If it wasn't for the first day or two of 100% drops, these shadow items would already be over 1M apiece.

-Rav
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinkTastical View Post
    Ravenous is a bad *** mofo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

I personally don't. I didn't even used to play it much without a good team of friends, but even now I'd rather just do green ice runs or the like.

I remember seeing 2-3 pages of games at any given time, today I searched and found 0-2 games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not anymore, it's no fun and totally pointless now. The rates of pink drops are ridiculously low for the difficulty . Its a waste of gold to go there. It takes forever and costs too much. Either lower the difficulty or make drops more frequent. Its gonna tank soon if something doesn't give. They went from one extreme to the other. Its time consuming and you get no reward other than being out gold for pots and wasted time, I enjoy the challenge but give some reward. Guarenteed pink for all was too frequent but is pointless now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

I ignore invites because it's not worth the effort. The amount of potions and elixirs spent in there make it a losing proposition.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i dont go to the caves either. i spend most of my time in the lost expedition and frozen nightmare farming for my lvl 30 twink. i consume too many pots in the shadow dungeons and the price of elite items in cs doesnt make it worthwhile to farm and resell. in the off chance i do go, i would only join a game. never clear all of victory lap for the chance the portal will be there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I don't go to shadow caves anymore. I was one of the few getting lots of elite drops during it's initial launch. It was insane back then, a spot in any cave was premium, nobody wants to leave or give up their slot after they got in there.
    I still keep most my elite items for my other toons or I gave some away to players if I have surplus. I received my Shadow armor from another player for free, it was extremely kind of him.

I still farm for pinks in AO, and sell them for cheap just to get a kick when the sale goes through. I call it "cheap thrills".

Yes, I read plenty of whiners on PL facebook and in this forum about "tanking their economy" when drop rate was 100% . After those complains, devs nerfed drop rates, portal don't spawn as often anymore.

It's VIRTUAL gold for God sake. It's NOT real gold. Talk about virtual greed, is that a new virtue ???

PL developers need to decide who they want to please.
    People who value VIRTUAL gold so much that they don't care about ruining the game for others. OR the devs can just decide that having FUN playing the game is more important for everyone.

I stopped looking for cave gears in auctions. I don't need them to farm AO anyway. So those elite items are IMO not worth it's asking price.

As long as people stop buying because there is less needs, the price will have to come down. Simple economics.
    Last edited by Ava; 01-17-2011 at 02:45 PM.