Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: This idea = sts makes $$$ + makes customers happy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjasmurf View Post
    Ok nvm you don't understand my point
    I do understand your point, but you didn't read my post. I said to have a minimum listing fee of 10k. Not a minimum price, but a minimum listing fee. The listing fee, the part that gets paid to the shop that you don't get back. Have that fee be 10k minimum.

This idea would be to encourage people to rent items that they want to try out, not to rent them as an ongoing thing to use on a regular basis. The way you do that is to make it expensive enough so that it would not be worthwhile to keep doing it, but only to do it to try it out once or twice. Just like how you rent a car. Renting a car is cheap, but not cheap enough to make it worthwhile over purchasing a car. Same thing should apply here.

And with eggs, you said "Why would someone buy a lvl 1 pet to test for 12 hours-3 day?", and I gave you a reason why. If I'm considering dropping 30m (most of my gold) on a very pricey pet, I would be willing to pay a nice amount to try it out so as to help me make my decision if I really want to buy it. Maybe I have trouble making up my mind whether I want to purchase Singe or Samael, so now I can rent both of them and try them out and it would be helpful. Again, this would be a one time thing. I'm not suggesting that people should be renting pets every day to use. If you want the pet to use on a permanent basis, then purchase him.

This would add a nice aspect to the game and allow people to try out gear without making a huge purchase first. It would allow players who are not rich to try out premium mythic or arcane gear for a few days at an affordable price to them. And it would allow merchants to rent gear instead of selling it if they so choose. It's a win-win for everyone.

I can think of so many reasons why someone would want to rent gear:

1) there's a pvp tournament and you need a better weapon to compete.

2) you want to try to make the timed runs leaderboard, but need gear, so you rent instead of buying.

3) you want to try out both the kershal and elondrian rifle before deciding which one you are going to purchase.

4) you looted a glacian egg, but would like to try him out before deciding whether or not to sell it or hatch it. So you rent one first.
    Last edited by Energizeric; 08-16-2014 at 04:15 PM.

Guardian of Alterra FluffNStuff's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts

This renting idea is fascinating and could be quite fun!
    It would of course change the entire economy of Arcane Legends due to extreme uncertainty in item values. Personally, I would rent everything I would want to use so I would not have to deal with devaluation. But perhaps the the cost of renting in the long term would out weigh the cost of buying. Then the profit of renting would out weigh the profit of selling so I would just rent out my drops instead of selling them. Hmm. Then with less for sale and more for rental, perhaps the profit from sales would now be better then renting. So, back to the cost of renting being less then buying. Cycle, rinse, repeat until it stabilizes once all the players have left and there is no one to rent from and no one to rent too.
    Like I said, fun. Would get to use some great items and maybe even make some profit before the economy completely collapses.

The Hundred Acre Legends:
    HunnySniper - HunnyStorm
    Please Fill out the End Game Pet Survey!|||||| What's With that Shield Icon?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FluffNStuff View Post
    But perhaps the the cost of renting in the long term would out weigh the cost of buying. Then the profit of renting would out weigh the profit of selling so I would just rent out my drops instead of selling them. Hmm. Then with less for sale and more for rental, perhaps the profit from sales would now be better then renting.
    That is how economics works.

Just like how when new gear comes out. It always starts off way expensive, then comes down in price a lot, and then usually rebounds a bit before it levels off. I'd expect the same to happen here. Eventually it would level off to a happy medium. I'd expect you would be better off selling your items if you need the gold to purchase something else. But for players who are sitting on a lot of gold, renting would be a way to earn some interest on that gold instead of having it sit idle.

Also, for rare items like Arcane, there is no guarantee there will always be one available to rent when you need one. So buying is probably better for the long term, while renting is good if you just need the item for a day or two or want to try it out.
    Last edited by Energizeric; 08-16-2014 at 05:44 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    275 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Instanthumor View Post
    This server thing isn't going to be on 24/7, 7 days a week. It'll be a sort of an exclusive event, happening maybe once a year or so. And sorry, I don't see your point.
    Well, there is nothing more i can do then ^.^

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    242 Posts

I just wonder how that would go along with the achievments (arcane, mythic etc). Many people buy this stuff just to get the achievments. I would never rent sam. I got my arcane pet just for the achievment, and thats enough.

>->->-> Oldest & Finest German Guild in AL -- A Legend itself <-<-<-<
    Tipps, Tricks, Guides und mehr ---> heldenvonheute.forumatic.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frohnatur View Post
    I just wonder how that would go along with the achievments (arcane, mythic etc). Many people buy this stuff just to get the achievments. I would never rent sam. I got my arcane pet just for the achievment, and thats enough.
    That wouldn't be fair to the rest, so probably won't be like that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Energizeric View Post
    Here's a better idea IMO.... Add to the game a mechanism by which players can rent their gear for a certain length of time. Let's call this the "rental shop".

Players could purchase rental shop slots for plat or story tokens, same as with the consignment shop. One slot would allow you to rent one item at a time. If you want to rent more, you need more slots (same as the auction).

It could be the same time intervals as the consignment shop uses (12 hours, 24 hours, 3 days). You can list your item for rent at whatever price, and then the item automatically returns to the rental shop at the end of the rental period so that the owner can go pick it up, just like you would pick up an item from the consignment shop after the listing expires.

The rented item will appear the same in the renter's inventory, except it will have the words "(rental)" after its name, and will not be tradable.

This would allow players to rent items to try them out before purchasing, and will also allow players to have more fun on occasion by being fully geared. You could even extend these rentals to eggs and allow a rental egg to be hatched by the renter, but then it returns to its egg when it goes back to the original user.

THIS!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frohnatur View Post
    Yeah, I suppose hatching a rented egg would NOT count towards mythic or arcane achievements.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts

I'm going to cry. I don't have an android to test the server, gg guys

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    92 Posts

Yeah, I suppose hatching a rented egg would NOT count towards mythic or arcane achievements.
    How much would you pay to rent Samael for a day?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjasmurf View Post
    How much would you pay to rent Samael for a day?
    Good question. I'm sure I'd look for whatever the best deal is. But all things considered, it would be worth it even to pay 1m to rent him and try him out, considering I would be spending 30m for him if I purchase him. And maybe I would rent both Singe and Sam, and then see if I preferred Sam enough to warrant the extra 15m he costs to purchase.

Often times we know which item is better, but we don't know if it is worth the extra cost. A good way to decide that would be to be able to try it out before purchasing. This would give players a chance to do that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    92 Posts

Good question. I'm sure I'd look for whatever the best deal is. But all things considered, it would be worth it even to pay 1m to rent him and try him out, considering I would be spending 30m for him if I purchase him. And maybe I would rent both Singe and Sam, and then see if I preferred Sam enough to warrant the extra 15m he costs to purchase.

Often times we know which item is better, but we don't know if it is worth the extra cost. A good way to decide that would be to be able to try it out before purchasing. This would give players a chance to do that.
    I can guarantee most people know what Samael does already so why pay gold to try it yourself? I don't have singe but I already know his aa and passive so why rent it when I know Samael is better already?

I like the idea of gear being rented but pets... Nah