Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why doesn't the Blizzard Stick get more respect and worth more?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

im not much of a dps guy i like more of the hard hitting attacks like guns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Conradin View Post
    Gotta catch em all.
    check out this thread for a list of scams! http://www.spacetimestudios.com/show...f-common-scams

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sticky420 View Post
    Im a lv 53 and I only use blizzard stick of fate in my opinion it rocks. Iv used glow stick and laser wand and got rid of them the same day. All I noticed was my bliss stick kills way faster
    The Blizzard Stick is way, way inferior to the Glow Stick or the Laser Wand, and definitely any 45+ staff, in terms of actual damage done when accounting for enemy armor. Do not be fooled by the DPS, which is against air and doesn't account for armor.

Read Alwaysdtf's post ^^^ if I remember from looking at numbers, its spell damage is terrible compared to the wands you just mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Alwaysdtf View Post
    Friends don't let friends use blizz sticks.
    Absolutely true.
    Last edited by Moogerfooger; 04-20-2011 at 02:48 PM.
    Moogerfooger - Dex Bird | Moogerfoogerz - Dual Bear |Brutalityz - loser mage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For a pure mage , spell dmg is the key , so slow weapon , big weapon dmg are the best

staff > Wand at most time , but you lost armor when you use a staff , so you die fast ,

and each time you cast aoe ,mobs will come to you for sure , try to lvl up your kitting

skill .......

i am a dex / int mage , i love this blizzard stick so much !!!

Solo : it's the one of the best weapon in solo , i do solo alot , i find out this wand
    is the best one i use so far , kill fast on mob and boss ,a little low dmg on
    aoe ,but not that bad , in boss fight it's way fast then my staff

PuG : i like pug with ppl , but some time pug group just not that good , high dmg aoe
    will make die with no time (i dead more then 300 time from lvl45~lvl50 for wear
    high dmg staff to aoe ) ,so wear a wand + shield are much better i think .

group : with skill player and friends , a good team , you can do the best dmg you can
    so wear a high dmg weapon go AoE as much as you like .but still your dps on
    boss are weak , very weak ; so just enjoy to clean the trash mobs .

PvP : dex /int mage are good at 1 vs 1 ,with this wand you can won most ppl , it's
    even fast then hunter's bow lol ......

so , what weapon you want it's your choice , you know what weapon better with you
    fight style ,with your build and your skill , just need konw one thing in a group it's like team work :

Clean mobs ----
    warr tank : run in and Beckon (12m range Pulls targets to you, chance of stun)
    + Taunt hold aggro
    + Hell scream or Stomp.

mage dps : go in with bear , Ice Storm (after bear pull them together )
    + Nightmare (Reduce ARMOR -30, DODGE % -12) rank 6
    + Firestorm and Lightning

hunter kill: go after mage ice storm Shattering Scream
    + Blast Shot
    + Thorn Wall

Bear : Beckon + Stomp = "SMASH" Combo ;
    mage: Ice Storm + Firestorm = Hot Flash Combo ;
    hunter : Shattering Scream + Blast Shot = Cruel Blast Combo '

bear + mage : Hell scream + Nightmare = Terror Group Combo
    Effects: Debuff is 10-25% more effective.

bear + mage : Ice Storm + Stomp = Shattering Blast

hunter + mage : Thorn Wall + lightning = Nature Strike

hunter + bear : Shattering Scream + Hell scream = Terror Group Combo

just like this , in a good group it's always team work , as a mage you don't pull aggro also dont need too much aoe for over kill a group mobs , only in boss fight you need
    boot you dps kill asap , that is the key , cuz your goal is not clean the trash , with
    group of skill player clean trash mobs are not a problem ..... with a bad group your high aoe dmg only get your killed ,if that is what you want .

here is my lvl50 in Mystery set , also i got nice staff from lvl43 ~lvl50

here is my mage with Blizzard stick , it's fast but low dmg on each hit , will as a
    Dex /int mage i got 122% of hit , so fast weapon is my kind weapon , with 19% crit
    and 241 dps , i do better then most mage in boss fight some time better then noob hunters too , H/s and M/s not bad too , Blizzard Stick may not work for some one ,
    but for me its just fine for now .

bought a Creepy Doll of shadows for my Blizzard stick today , it's the best in my lvl
    Last edited by Herozheng; 04-25-2011 at 10:52 AM.
    Mofajingling (lvl56 Cat) <lvl10 Engineer>; Deadorlive (lvl55 Bird) <lvl5 Operative>; Herozheng (lvl55 Bear)<lvl 1 Commando>

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

coz it is a stick

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jpgskill View Post
    coz it is a stick
    will what about glow stick ? its cost 250k or more ....

about one week ago i complete full set of shadow glow stick set , at first few run i didn't feel any beat then the gear i prior to wear , but after few more run i get it ,why they call this set are the best for lvl50s ....

on dps , its low for weapon dps coz it's slow ,but big weapon dmg good on each spell and aoe , more great thing is the high armor ,make us die hard !!! also the very nice h/s , m/s and good crit + hit + , it is the best set for a pure int mage , also for dex mage , cuz we pull aggro some time on the boss fight , with this set i can tank the keeper without another mage in group, and once i group with 4 hunters in BS , i hold aggro very well and down the boss without a single death ....

with this set i can solo lvl30 elite instance much ez then before , no need use pots , and non death , i love this set more and more every day .... if yo not short on gold ,just get this set for your lvl50s pure and Dex/int mage 。
    Last edited by Herozheng; 05-03-2011 at 12:24 PM.
    Mofajingling (lvl56 Cat) <lvl10 Engineer>; Deadorlive (lvl55 Bird) <lvl5 Operative>; Herozheng (lvl55 Bear)<lvl 1 Commando>

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Herozheng View Post
    For a pure mage , spell dmg is the key , so slow weapon , big weapon dmg are the best

staff > Wand at most time , but you lost armor when you use a staff , so you die fast ,

and each time you cast aoe ,mobs will come to you for sure , try to lvl up your kitting

skill .......

i am a dex / int mage , i love this blizzard stick so much !!!

Solo : it's the one of the best weapon in solo , i do solo alot , i find out this wand
    is the best one i use so far , kill fast on mob and boss ,a little low dmg on
    aoe ,but not that bad , in boss fight it's way fast then my staff

PuG : i like pug with ppl , but some time pug group just not that good , high dmg aoe
    will make die with no time (i dead more then 300 time from lvl45~lvl50 for wear
    high dmg staff to aoe ) ,so wear a wand + shield are much better i think .

group : with skill player and friends , a good team , you can do the best dmg you can
    so wear a high dmg weapon go AoE as much as you like .but still your dps on
    boss are weak , very weak ; so just enjoy to clean the trash mobs .
    I have not tested in PvP (and admittedly, my PvPing skill has declined from my not PvPing in so long), but even as a dual spec dex-mage, you should not be using the Blizzard stick in PvE. Skill damage will still account for the majority of your damage, especially when AOE is factored in. As a dual spec dex-int mage, you should be using what int mages use when you are wearing int equipment - either what equipment offers the best protection, or what equipment offers the highest skill damage.

Even looking at weapons damage, you'll find the Blizzard stick significantly less effective against high armor targets. If you don't believe me, go into the Shadow Caves and compare. You'll find slower weapons with higher damage per hit much better in terms of effective damage.
    Last edited by WhoIsThis; 05-03-2011 at 02:19 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts

The Blizzard Stick is lousy in end-game PvE. Fact.

It has terrible spell damage, and terrible actual damage done when you take enemy armor into effect. Fact.

The DPS rating on it is totally useless and misleading. Fact.

In Balefort Sewers/Shadow Caves you deal virtually no damage with auto-attacks because of the high enemy armor and the very low base damage of the Blizz Stick. Fact.

There are so many better option for lvl 50+ Fact especially Shadow at 50, if one can afford it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

I think that this thread can pretty much be put to rest.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts

Well... I put on a Scraper's set (14 damage per item), plus a damage ring, plus my Blessing of Might buff (30 damage). With all the extra damage, the blizzard stick kills single mobs fast. I saved a loadout with this setup for when the group is kiling a boss too slow. Sometimes the regen is too fast on the boss and it takes a long time.

I don't have anything else that can kill a single mob faster than the blizzard stick plus damage gear. If i choose a slower weapon, the damage bonuses are applied less often.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts

I changed my mind. I did a scientific study. I soloed Keeper zone from entrance to shadow men including killing Lorekeeper. I got the following times: (note, i'm a str/int mage)

5:20 -- Gurgox Hammer of the Rift, 194-269/1.4, with hate gear, 210 dps
    6:10 -- Shadow Hax of Hate, 85-94/0.8, full set of hate gear, 210 dps
    7:00 -- Blizzard Stick of Fate 55-80/0.5, Scraper's hat & robe, flushers bracer, 306 dps

I prefer the Hax of Hate. With hax I have less healing due to having the shield, and
    never felt in danger of dying. The Gurgox felt unaccetably slow, but had the best
    overall time. The Blizzard Stick kills mummies quick, but the Lorekeeper took *forever*,
    i almost gave up and zoned out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Every opinion deserves respect; if some of you feel more confortable with a toothprick machine-gun, why not? For a mage I do prefer weapons with a medium number of hits/sec (1.0 is the best, imho) with a decent base damage, because of the impact to skill. The following are DMG figures with my L55 mage, Sewers Queen Robe and Cowl, Lowman's Bracer, for Lev 6 Firestorm and Lightning skills:

Bizzard Stick of Fate (lev 50): Lightning 205-320. Firestorm 215-314
    Laser Wand of The Cosmos (lev 50): Lightning 231-347. Firestorm 241-340
    Mega Mage's Gem Star Wand (lev 55, for comparison): Lightning 249-364. Firestorm 258-358

As you can see, skill DMG with Laser Wand is 10% better than Blizzard. As a comparison, Lev 55 Mega Mage Star Wand adds only a further 6% to skill damage.

For checking the weapon own damage I went in AO3 Captive Audience and recorded a number of shots to blue aliens there (unbuffed). With Blizzard the damage was 50-63 every 0.5 sec, with Laser Wand 99-121 ever 1.0 sec. Same test on BS Bandit Boys Hideout, Bear-like mobs; Blizzard damage 48-60, Laser Wand 78-116.

In conclusion, for base level mobs in AO3 and BS the DMG added by character skill and gears is enough to overrun enemies armor, so that Blizzard Stick and Laser Wand perform almost the same (maybe different figures with a real lev 50 character?). The skill damage with Laser Wand is still 10% better, so I suggest to use this weapon in preference to the Blizzard Stick even for killing base mobs.
    Last edited by Tamino; 05-04-2011 at 05:07 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts

How do you calculate damage per second after killing mobs? Where would I find that information? In EQ i had a script that would parse the log file, but i don't know how to do it with PL.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by csb View Post
    How do you calculate damage per second after killing mobs? Where would I find that information? In EQ i had a script that would parse the log file, but i don't know how to do it with PL.
    Film the screen during battle. The damage is shown red over the mob's head (orange if CRIT).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts

Blizzard Sticks are useless against BS bosses. If you are unbuffed you might as well throw a tennis ball at them, and even buffed still not very effective for attacks. I exaggerate, but you get the hint.

The main disadvantage to the Blizz Stick is that its base damage is terribly low. The character's attributes do help, you are correct, plus some added damage possibly from gear, correct.

However, if you go take on a BS or Shadow Caves boss, I will take a nap while you try and solo a boss. A long nap. Not to mention the lousy base damage is made even worse when you take double-damage crit hits into account. This is where the Laser Wand blows it away in the long run with crit hits doing twice as much base damage to begin with, then doubled for crit.

The only advantages are a) a freeze proc that is slightly handly, and b) it is cheap as dirt. Completely not worth the dropoff in skill damage and especially base damage. Go buy a dang Lowman's Wand they can be had for cheap, and has a Drained proc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

I changed my mind. I did a scientific study. I soloed Keeper zone from entrance to shadow men including killing Lorekeeper. I got the following times: (note, i'm a str/int mage)

5:20 -- Gurgox Hammer of the Rift, 194-269/1.4, with hate gear, 210 dps
    6:10 -- Shadow Hax of Hate, 85-94/0.8, full set of hate gear, 210 dps
    7:00 -- Blizzard Stick of Fate 55-80/0.5, Scraper's hat & robe, flushers bracer, 306 dps

I prefer the Hax of Hate. With hax I have less healing due to having the shield, and
    never felt in danger of dying. The Gurgox felt unaccetably slow, but had the best
    overall time. The Blizzard Stick kills mummies quick, but the Lorekeeper took *forever*,
    i almost gave up and zoned out.
    Gurgox Hammer of the rift is the best strength-based weapon available for bears for taking on bosses. Watch bears like Ellyidol play. You'll find that they will often use (when using strength gear) the Gurgox Hammer because it has the highest damage per hit. Shadow Hax of Hate set is pretty good for tanking, but Gurgox is better for bosses as your own numbers point out. Furthermore, if you are tanking (which you may be if you are a pally), your job is to pin the boss against the wall and hold the aggro. Gurgox Hammer seems far superior for that.

Go for whatever gets you maximum skill damage for mage when you are int gear as was pointed out. Ideally, this would be the gemstone wand and staff at level 55. Go for either the Lowman's or Mastermind's set if you are short on funds (truth be told, you should buy them and try them out anyways - they aren't expensive) and Mega Mage if you've got a lot of cash.

As has been repeatedly pointed out, don't use a blizzard stick against bosses. Against mobs, as a mage, skills like fire blast/hot flash and lightning will be the main damage dealer, even as a dual spec mage - NOT your main weapon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WhoIsThis View Post
    Go for whatever gets you maximum skill damage for mage when you are int gear as was pointed out. Ideally, this would be the gemstone wand and staff at level 55. Go for either the Lowman's or Mastermind's set if you are short on funds (truth be told, you should buy them and try them out anyways - they aren't expensive) and Mega Mage if you've got a lot of cash... Against mobs, as a mage, skills like fire blast/hot flash and lightning will be the main damage dealer, even as a dual spec mage - NOT your main weapon.
    Can you explain "skill damage for mage"? I searched around the forums and still don't get it. I found information on DPS calculations, combos, etc. But nothing clear about skill damage.

For example, if i put all my mage stat points in dex, do i get high skill damage due to having a large amount of one stat? I would expect that having all dex would give me the same skill damage amount that birds get.

I don't need a large mana pool, because all the mana comes from M/s regen. The pool size is insignificant. This is especially true since the gcd nerf that prevents me from casting all my spells as fast as i can push the buttons.

So, unless there is a "skill damage" issue, I don't see a reason to have any int points. And, I would prefer a Gurgox Hammer/Hax/Limbchopper over the Blizzard Stick. I tried the 51+ int gear setup, and I tried 50 hate str gear. Comparing AE spell damage, I don't notice any difference in the amount of damage from AE spells when wearing int gear.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Can you explain "skill damage for mage"? I searched around the forums and still don't get it. I found information on DPS calculations, combos, etc. But nothing clear about skill damage.

For example, if i put all my mage stat points in dex, do i get high skill damage due to having a large amount of one stat? I would expect that having all dex would give me the same skill damage amount that birds get.
    Skill damage refers to how much damage your spells (such as fire blast and lightning) do. It is affected by:

1. Distribution of skill points (int/dex/str)
    2. Weapon choice
    3. Other equipment choices
    4. Rank of skill

Putting all your points into dex will NOT get the same amount of skill damage. Dex boosts skill damage for birds, not mages. Dex does not boost skill damage as much as int (which is why pure int has a more potent AOE).

I don't need a large mana pool, because all the mana comes from M/s regen. The pool size is insignificant. This is especially true since the gcd nerf that prevents me from casting all my spells as fast as i can push the buttons.

So, unless there is a "skill damage" issue, I don't see a reason to have any int points. And, I would prefer a Gurgox Hammer/Hax/Limbchopper over the Blizzard Stick. I tried the 51+ int gear setup, and I tried 50 hate str gear. Comparing AE spell damage, I don't notice any difference in the amount of damage from AE spells when wearing int gear.
    Having additional mana reserves can be useful. It's not because of mana regen. You need extra mana reserves because when you activate mana shield, it acts like a second hp bar. Having more mana reserves means more health and more mana to cast spells. Note that many mage defensive rings boost mana.

There is indeed a skill damage issue. Int adds more points than dex, which adds more points than strength. Pure int will have the most potent AOE. It doesn't look like much on paper (if you compare the skill damage of a pally to a pure int, it doesn't seem like much), but in practice it is noticeable, especially around high armor targets.

Gurgox hammer is the best strength weapon at time of this writing for taking on bosses. There will be a difference in spell damage when wearing int gear (if you don't believe me, put on that gurgox hammer with strength gear, write down how much fire blast does, the switch to int gear and write down how much fire blast with int gear does - doesn't seem like much; in practice, switching to int will noticeably increase your effective damage).
    Last edited by WhoIsThis; 05-06-2011 at 02:24 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Bumping because...

My ears are still ringing from a run with a lvl 50 mage with blizzo...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i did a side by side test at trash heap. i used blizzard stick and the other mage used mega wand. no skills, just wand. i killed trash can 5 seconds faster. when we used skills we killed can about the same time.

i carry both. i use the blizzard stick for the freeze when one on one and the mega when a big group is about. it kind of depends on if there are powerful birds in the group or not. also if i am in a high level dungeon, or farming in the mid levels.

i haven't done formal testing, but when killing bosses i think the freeze works a bit and everyone takes less dmg.

p.s. i listen to ipod while playing. didn't even know the blizzard made annoying noise, lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts

The Blizzard Stick can be used at level 45. It's probably the best mage weapon at level 45. This is comparable to the 45 Limbchopper for tanks and 45 Trueshot for birds. All these can be purchased cheap as green or purple drops in cs, or expensive (over 100k) as pinks. I have all three as level 45 pinks :-)

Best weapons at 45:

mage: Blizzard Stick
    tank: Limbchopper
    bird: Trueshot Bow